OMG at This Dominican Blowout Video!

cmw45

*sneaks off to take a look*

ETA: That's a LOT of heat. And the stylist was a but rough, especially when she was adding, what I am praying, was a heat protectant and 4:28 in. The finished look in nice but it seems like the health of the hair is being sacrificed for "style."

OT: I LOVE watching hair videos on youtube. Like, I will stay up eating a snack afterwork watching hair videos on youtube wishing for WSL hair. *shurgs* Waaaay to much freetime on my hands.

Last edited:

MummysGirl

I see so many beautiful results from domican blowouts.

I have fine strands, dominican blowouts won't be the best idea for me. I can see the hair along my hairline breaking with every brush. Not to talk about the fragile hair in the middle of my head...

Beautiful results though.

Solitude

her....hair....was....NOT....fried *sigh*. It looked very pretty & silky. I feel like the Dominican salon spokesperson up in here. Of course they had to use extra heat to get 4b natural hair silky.

taz007

Ok. Coming from California (where I don't know of any Dominican salons), what was with all of that smoke?:burning::burning::burning:

Was the smoke due to the products being used?

That can't be good.:nono:

Off to watch the rest of the video.

ETA: The final results were very nice!

Last edited:

mrsjohnson75

So pretty but.....whoooooo that heat!!!!!!!!!!! Lawdhammercy! :burning:

I wonder if her natural texture is altered from it??

crazydaze911

looks like that lady can perform miracles....or run a torture chamber. I used to do these blow outs every week - u CANT see the smoke and what its doing to ur hair from the seat reading a magazine - lol.

Now i just go to them for a wash and set, and blow dry roots around once every two months.... seems safer

UGQueen

wow thats a lot of heat. and its funny cause i used to be a heat lover, but up until a month and a half ago after joining LHCF im scared of heat. her head was smoooking. im sure this is from all the products that were used tho. but it still is scary to look out. (lol LHCF has truly changed me).

but that being said the finish is gorg. :)

brownbean96

I'm on your team:) I've been getting doobie's which is what we call this process here in Jersey at least for years, with no damage.

It may seem like a lot of heat but that's probably mostly from the cream product that she put on her hair before blow-drying which I never let them use in my natural hair.

her....hair....was....NOT....fried *sigh*. It looked very pretty & silky. I feel like the Dominican salon spokesperson up in here. Of course they had to use extra heat to get 4b natural hair silky.

UGQueen

Ok. Coming from California (where I don't know of any Dominican salons), what was all of that smoke?:burning::burning::burning:

What the smoke due to the products being used?

That can't be good.:nono:

Off to watch the rest of the video.

ETA: The final results were very nice!

yeah i think it was all the product being used. so had A LOT of product when doin the rollerset so im assuming (hoping) its the product that caused the smoke.

Soliel185

I agree that it was a lot of heat -

However - I was impressed by how gently they handled her hair - when I saw the lady detangling her hair for the roller set I was shocked! Every salon experience I have ever had involved my head being violently yanked whenever they attempted to detangle.

Also - I noticed that she kept all the heat tools moving. That's very important when using heat because keeping heat in one place for too long is a lot of what causes heat damage. I like that she used a wide tooth comb to comb chase while flat ironing, and glad that they didn't do it on naked hair.

tadeja

This was the video that scared me away. My strands are very fine, I don't think I could have gone through all of that unharmed. I'm still very interested. An LHCFer gave very good reviews to a couple of spots in the Bronx, I might try it one day.

SEMO

* Laughing while the woman is waiting to get her hair done? (I swear I can hear one of them say, "I'm glad my hair doesn't look like that!" While they are filming her hair after washing.)
* Using a fine tooth comb on natural hair?
* Smoke coming from her hair from the hair dryer that's way too close to her head?
* This video has 4.5 stars?
* The fact that the website for the salon this video is for is called getyouhairdoneright.com ?

:nono:

I just CRINGE!!! I would never let them do my hair like that. Especially after seeing this video.

poookie

THAT's a blowout? oh my GOODNESS!!! i would NEVER put my hair through that much stress! i'm doing a DC when i get home; just watching that vid makes my hair feel dry & unloved.

i liked how her hair turned out after the rollerset: i would have just had her pin the hair up into a cute up do and been on my merry way!

Nayna

Unbothered

Lol, it's not fried but when she goes with the flatiron then I think it's too much. I've never even seen them blow it straight with a regular brush, then use the roller brush, then use the flatiron. For all that skip the handheld and go straight to the flatiron. In my experience if they have to do all that then they aren't doing something right. I agree it looked very nice in the end but that's the type of blowout I would work extra hard to avoid because she used the handheld blowdryer long enough. I've seen 4b's around here that don't need to do all that.

vkb247

I loved looking at her wet hair - made me feel like washing my hair

When she was putting products in I kept waiting for her to focus on and protect the ends

The blowdrying process made me feel like crying! They tortured her hair into submission!

Nice results but I would never let someone do this to my head.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
My thoughts:

*They seem to be good at handling natural hair.
*OUCH to that blow dryer, all that smoke :nono: I'm surprised the young lady's hair didn't catch on fire.
*If you're gonna go through all that for the straight look, just relax it doggonit (or BKT it or something) I'd say all that heat is far more damaging than a properly applied relaxer any day AND one drop of sweat, humidity, water, etc. makes all that pain she endured for naught.
The end result looked pretty. (I hope she still had some hair left the next day)

Nelli04

that seems just as bad as a hot comb and flat iron.
But it most likely does alter your natural texture

caribgirl

Umm, yes that was a lot of heat! I hope that was a heat guard cream that was applied to hair and not just a leave-in like Perfect for Perms :confused:.

Beautiful results, though.

Optimus_Prime

It looks like she could have done w/o the blow drying step and instead flat-ironed after the roller set.
Her result was quite nice, though.

SoAnxious12

maybe i'm a heat H*e (lol), but it wasn't that bad to me... i think the blowdryer so close the hairline and and the rough brushing is what threw me. Other than that, it was ok to me.

onejamifan

I think the flat iron was extra. I have seen Domincan stylists leave natural hair silky smooth and bone straight with just a roller set and a good blow out. The flat iron was overkill IMHO.

baby42

LOOKS HOT TO ME. one time i seen heat comeing out of a hair SHOP. IT WAS SO MUCH SMOKE IN THERE i couldnt see.in side and these girls just sat there i held my thin hair and kept walking i know my hair couldnt take that much heat..i get blow out about once a month but its not hot like that. i get scared if i seen that much heat.

Miamori

I see so many beautiful results from domican blowouts.

I have fine strands, dominican blowouts won't be the best idea for me. I can see the hair along my hairline breaking with every brush. Not to talk about the fragile hair in the middle of my head...

Beautiful results though.

This was the video that scared me away. My strands are very fine, I don't think I could have gone through all of that unharmed. I'm still very interested. An LHCFer gave very good reviews to a couple of spots in the Bronx, I might try it one day.

I get Dominican blow outs, but I only get my roots done, and my hair is VERY THICK, and my scalp can take just about anything. When I go, I always get a DC and leave in and only allow my roots to be blown out, even if the stylist argues with me because she doesn;t think my hair will turn our nicely (and then by the time she's done, other stylists are always around her chair trying to figure out how she got my hair to look like that, but I digress :rolleyes:). My mother's hair is VERY FINE, and she has a sensitive scalp, and allowed them to do all those steps just about each time - roller set, blow out, flat iron.

I warned her against going, but she wanted her hair to look like mine and thought that was the only option, and I especially warned her against getting a relaxer once she wanted to go twice a month. She didn't listen to me and just rolled her eyes.

This time last year, her hair was longer than mine is now. She had to stop going to the Dominican salon because her edges and nape broke off around the entire perimeter of her head, and she got a bald spot in the middle. She had to get a bob cut last week to try to get back some thickness and body to her hair, because there's only so much styling and curling can do when you don't have any natural weight left to your hair.

So, whether Dominican salons will leave you with the hair on your head and whether it is fine to go is very individualistic, but I don't think ladies here are completely criminalizing Dominican salons.

There are few heads that can take all that.

cmw45

I get Dominican blow outs, but I only get my roots done, and my hair is VERY THICK, and my scalp can take just about anything. When I go, I always get a DC and leave in and only allow my roots to be blown out, even if the stylist argues with me because she doesn;t think my hair will turn our nicely (and then by the time she's done, other stylists are always around her chair trying to figure out how she got my hair to look like that, but I digress :rolleyes:). My mother's hair is VERY FINE, and she has a sensitive scalp, and allowed them to do all those steps just about each time - roller set, blow out, flat iron.

I warned her against going, but she wanted her hair to look like mine and thought that was the only option, and I especially warned her against getting a relaxer once she wanted to go twice a month. She didn't listen to me and just rolled her eyes.

This time last year, her hair was longer than mine is now. She had to stop going to the Dominican salon because her edges and nape broke off around the entire perimeter of her head, and she got a bald spot in the middle. She had to get a bob cut last week to try to get back some thickness and body to her hair, because there's only so much styling and curling can do when you don't have any natural weight left to your hair.

So, whether Dominican salons will leave you with the hair on your head and whether it is fine to go is very individualistic, but I don't think ladies here are completely criminalizing Dominican salons.

There are few heads that can take all that.

:look: I kinda got lost at the end.

So I agree with the underlined statement. But then again, I don't think this applies to just Dominican salons or even hair salons in general. If you are paying for a service you should make sure that it meets your expectations. Whether this is getting your hedges trimmed or your car washed. What a stylist does, in most instances, is what you LET her do.

What I am a little confused about is the bolded statement. Are you saying that you feel the ladies in this thread are criminalizing Dominican salons based on this video? And or in general?

Are you also saying that there are some people who's hair can take "all of that" and that you think we are being to harsh in our opinions/judgemental of the stylist technique?

Not trying to start an aruguement...but am really interested in your opinion since you seem to be familiar with the salons and have recently posted about them in several threads.