OMG at This Dominican Blowout Video!

mrsmeredith

Great Dominican blow out! She was gentle "to me" and this is what the normal process is so what's the big deal. We have seen a zillion blow out videos but this one is the best the so far.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
pretty. I get a dominican blowout about 4 times a year. I've not done it since summer started because I noticed some breakage the last time. I love the look but can't take the heat on the regular. My next time will be for my 40th birthday (Sept) and I can't wait to see my length check.

SoforReal

* Laughing while the woman is waiting to get her hair done? (I swear I can hear one of them say, "I'm glad my hair doesn't look like that!" While they are filming her hair after washing.)
* Using a fine tooth comb on natural hair?
* Smoke coming from her hair from the hair dryer that's way too close to her head?
* This video has 4.5 stars?
* The fact that the website for the salon this video is for is called getyouhairdoneright.com ?

:nono:

I just CRINGE!!! I would never let them do my hair like that. Especially after seeing this video.

Yep I could've sworn I heard the same thing. I would've walked out of that salon if they tried me like that! :rolleyes:

HeChangedMyName

WOW :nono:.
What was the point in the roller set if she was gonna blow dry it? And why so many passes of heat. direct heat. and the smoke. :wallbash:

She would have come out with less heat damage with a regular old american press-n-curl and her hair would have been much shinier and swangalicious..

I would love for her to come forward and tell us all how her hair was after that doo. Wonder if her curl pattern came back?

HeChangedMyName

I have a hair testimony. When my hair was at it's height in heat damage it looked the best and shiniest and had mad swangaling. I use to use my big barrel regular old non ceramic curling iron for everything from straightening, to curling, to laying down the baby hairs. It looked so fly. . . until it was wet and in it's natural state, with no products .

HeChangedMyName

her....hair....was....NOT....fried *sigh*. It looked very pretty & silky. I feel like the Dominican salon spokesperson up in here. Of course they had to use extra heat to get 4b natural hair silky.

My DD has hair like the model/client/ and I did a test run on her hair before to see what it would take to get it bone straight(just in case she needed a celabratory doo for some reason)

It only took me maybe two passes of the blow dryer, minus the heat concentrator--on warm and two passes of the flat iron and her hair looked bone straight.

I'm not against blowouts and I know natural hair takes more heat and passes than relaxed hair. For me it was the repetitive passes of heat and the close contact of the dryer, especially on the ends.

NikStarrr

I have a hair testimony. When my hair was at it's height in heat damage it looked the best and shiniest and had mad swangaling. I use to use my big barrel regular old non ceramic curling iron for everything from straightening, to curling, to laying down the baby hairs. It looked so fly. . . until it was wet and in it's natural state, with no products .

Yea, but some naturals aren't natural because they want to wear "natural" styles. Some are natural because they find their hair thrives better chemical free, but still wear straight hair all of the time. So, this may actually encourage those naturals. It can be good or bad, depending who's perspective.

HeChangedMyName

Yea, but some naturals aren't natural because they want to wear "natural" styles. Some are natural because they find their hair thrives better chemical free, but still wear straight hair all of the time. So, this may actually encourage those naturals. It can be good or bad, depending who's perspective.

True. I have a friend like that. She's natural but mostly keeps her hair straight.

BTW, I love all your big juicy hair pretty. If I were natural, I'd want my hair to instantly be like that. I don't have the energy to transition though(at least not yet )

Natural Glow

That's how the dominican shop in my area does it. Complete with the smoking dryer and flatiron at the end. They use a round brush though. I've only gotten it done twice but my hair wasn't damaged from what I can tell. I wouldn't get it done more than a few times a year. I think you can ask them to just blow it out then wrap it instead of flat ironing it I might do that next time.

tocktick

Lawd. If this doesn't make me want to stay away from heat...:perplexed

Her hair did look pretty but if this was my hair it would definitely not be reverting back even just after the blow dry.

Cien

Pink is my signature color
How hot does a blow drier have to be for your hair to smoke like that? Wow.

I was wondering the same thing!

I've never had a Dominican blowout, so I had no idea that the blowdryer is THAT HOT!

Are these special blowdryers or something?!

My blowdryers have a couple of settings on them---and 'hot' isn't that hot where it smokes!!

Interesting video--and great results though!!

DivaD04

i've counted about 5-6 x's heat was used. i know natural 4b hair needs special attention to get that straight silky look.....but goodness, i think some of that heat can be minimized and still be able to get that same look.
not to mention the oil sheen....huh, i had my days with it. i don't really miss it like i used to. oil sheen kept getting on my face wich broke my face out.

DivaD04

most likely that blow dryer is an 1875w or 2000w dryer. these dryers can get pretty smokey.

:look: on my bad, i only buy 1875w dryers to blowdry quickly dry, to get it out the way. but i only use it with my fav. adjustable blowdry pick that scews on and doesn't fall off.

btw, i'm not knocking the blowout, it's just alot of heat on one head.

rdm

I hope that she used an asbestos based conditioner before that blow out!!! That was way too much heat for me.

Luscious Locks

My thoughts:

*They seem to be good at handling natural hair.
*OUCH to that blow dryer, all that smoke :nono: I'm surprised the young lady's hair didn't catch on fire.
*If you're gonna go through all that for the straight look, just relax it doggonit (or BKT it or something) I'd say all that heat is far more damaging than a properly applied relaxer any day AND one drop of sweat, humidity, water, etc. makes all that pain she endured for naught.
The end result looked pretty. (I hope she still had some hair left the next day)

Seriously!!!! I agree with you 100%. I hope that she only gets this down 3-4 times a year. That heat was murderous---- her hair should ask for a restraining order! Talk about direct heat. I was blown away..... Nice results

LatterGlory

Like I said in another post I always got texlaxed results with my relaxer until I went to a dominican salon and allowed them to do what was seen on the video to my hair after a fresh relaxer. :eek2:

I asked for it so I'm not mad, but... NEVER AGAIN!

This is why I have about 2.5 inches bone straight relaxed hair between my curly natural roots and my curly texlaxed ends.

Got to hand it to them, they sure know how to get hair straight.:lol:

anon123

yep, that could never be me. that treatment was brutal. and the results were good, but frankly, i've had better from an old fashioned press. her hair seemed stiff.

Solitude

The smoke is from the product. It's not like you see smoke coming from the dryer when she moves it away from her hair. Oh and I believe they only finish with the flat iron on natural hair. Usually the rollerset/blowdry combo is enough for relaxed hair. It looks like a lot of heat, and personally it's not for me because I can get similar results from rollersetting then flat ironing--skipping the extra step of blowdrying. But I do I have to admit, that I have quite a few friends who've done the Dominican thing weekly and their hair has grown to BSL+ with it. I'm too scared to try it myself tho. haha

First off, your hair is beautiful! Yes, seeing the results with my own two eyes on my hair and plenty of my friends is why I don't let the comments on here scare me away from the Dom salon. I mostly do my own hair, but I do their technique at home.

I was going to these salons exclusively as my hair went from chin length to past shoulder. If it wasn't for the Dom salons, I would have been lost in the beginning of my hair journey. Everyone I know who has been going over a year is APL-WL with healthy, blunt ends - no splits, no damage.

Um, with a flat iron? That's how I straighten mine.:look:

Yes, you can straighten 4b natural hair with just a flat iron, but I've never seen natural hair get silky straight and bouncy with just a flat iron. Do you have any pics? On all the tutorials I've watched on youtube, people's hair still looks puffy & it only lasts for a day or two. That lady's results will probably last 1-2 weeks.

It's not right for everyone, but seriously it's not that bad.

keluric

First off, your hair is beautiful! Yes, seeing the results with my own two eyes on my hair and plenty of my friends is why I don't let the comments on here scare me away from the Dom salon. I mostly do my own hair, but I do their technique at home.

I was going to these salons exclusively as my hair went from chin length to past shoulder. If it wasn't for the Dom salons, I would have been lost in the beginning of my hair journey. Everyone I know who has been going over a year is APL-WL with healthy, blunt ends - no splits, no damage.

Yes, you can straighten 4b natural hair with just a flat iron, but I've never seen natural hair get silky straight and bouncy with just a flat iron. Do you have any pics? On all the tutorials I've watched on youtube, people's hair still looks puffy & it only lasts for a day or two. That lady's results will probably last 1-2 weeks.

It's not right for everyone, but seriously it's not that bad.

If you look in my fotki, I can get my hair silky straight with just a flat iron. It's technique and the right products. I'm 3C/4A natural.

McQuay30

I congratulate all women that goes though the process of a Dominican Blowout. There is no way in the world I would do that, her hair was smoking with the blow dryer and smoking with the flat iron. Way too much heat for me.

Lovestyr

WOW:blush: I had to skip ahead 5 min or so....but this lady did an awesome job. I plan on getting my first blowout on my hair in Dec. I never use heat on my hair at all. So I think I could deal with it just to see if I like it.:spinning:

Day Dreamer

I watched the video and it seems that the smoke is a mixture of product and maybe some moisture coming out of her hair. They do oit the same way where I'm at so i guess for them that is normal. Also, the purpose of that kind of heat is get the hair as straight as possible. IMO, its kinda like an electric relaxer for natural hair if you catch my drift.

Last edited:

laurend

Nope not for me. My hair is heat sensitive and I've seen what it has done to Brockstar and Miss Norway.

BostonMaria

I congratulate all women that goes though the process of a Dominican Blowout. There is no way in the world I would do that, her hair was smoking with the blow dryer and smoking with the flat iron. Way too much heat for me.

When I go you should see me screaming when the blowdryer burns my scalp, fanning my head, coughing when the smoke gets in my face LOL :lachen:

Anything for that swaggin hair! Hahahaha oh and I only go 2-3x a year MAX