A New Henna Thread

Platinum

Ive mixed my henna and Im gonna put it in my hair later tonight and sleep with it on. However I wanted to know do you keep it sitting out on the counter or put it in the refrigerator until Im ready for it?

It will be okay if you leave it on out on the counter.:yep:

charmtreese

My first henna experience turned out Great!!!! My hair is so soft, shiny and strong, even my NG got smoother. I used Karishma Herbal Blend and I’m so happy I did.

This is what I did:

1) I mixed the Henna with a lot of water. The consistency was a little runnier than yogurt. I let the mixture sit for about 2 hours (Next time I will let it sit longer, but I was too excited to wait)
2) I washed my hair (once with JASON dandruff shampoo and once with lavender WEN), towel bloated it and then oiled my hair and scalp (with Black & Bossie Natural Hair and Scalp oil).
3) I applied the henna one section at a time with my gloved hands. – I was a little nervous at this point because I thought that the henna might dry my hair out because of the way the wet henna made my hair feel (kinda rough). However, I pushed forward. The directions on the package instruct you to comb the henna through, but I decided against this and just smoothed it through my hair instead.
4) I let the henna stay on for 5 hours
5) I rinsed for a few minutes, then washed out (with Lavender WEN). – When I was rinsing it out I noticed that my hair was a lot smoother and silkier feeling. I couldn’t believe how my hair felt. It felt so good for one second I contemplated not DC.
6) I DC overnight (with Lavender WEN and Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment). – After I rinsed out my DC my hair still felt amazing. I then put in my leave-ins and commenced to rollersetting. My hair dried with a gorgeous shine and it feels awesome.

I am so surprised at my results. Normally my hair is an oddball and things that work for most on this board don’t really work for me! But in this case, I am soooo on the henna bandwangon! I plan to henna every two weeks for here on out!

Aggie

Can somebody please tell me where to get indigo from?is this also a product frm India or is it any indigo brand. I got very confused when I seen mood indigo n the BS it was very blue. I don't wanta mess up my 1st henna. Thanks n advance

Thanks, that's good to know. I was able to find Karishma henna at my local Indian store, however I didnt have as much luck with the indigo. I may have to order this.

Where is a good online store to get indigo from?

I order mine from www.mehndiskinart.com. I usually order them wholesale because it's much cheaper to that way along with a few other items. We get a 5% discount there now as LHCF members I think.

Aggie

My first henna experience turned out Great!!!! My hair is so soft, shiny and strong, even my NG got smoother. I used Karishma Herbal Blend and I’m so happy I did.

This is what I did:

1) I mixed the Henna with a lot of water. The consistency was a little runnier than yogurt. I let the mixture sit for about 2 hours (Next time I will let it sit longer, but I was too excited to wait)
2) I washed my hair (once with JASON dandruff shampoo and once with lavender WEN), towel bloated it and then oiled my hair and scalp (with Black & Bossie Natural Hair and Scalp oil).
3) I applied the henna one section at a time with my gloved hands. – I was a little nervous at this point because I thought that the henna might dry my hair out because of the way the wet henna made my hair feel (kinda rough). However, I pushed forward. The directions on the package instruct you to comb the henna through, but I decided against this and just smoothed it through my hair instead.
5) I rinsed for a few minutes, then washed out (with Lavender WEN). – When I was rinsing it out I noticed that my hair was a lot smoother and silkier feeling. I couldn’t believe how my hair felt. It felt so good for one second I contemplated not DC.
6) I DC overnight (with Lavender WEN and Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment). – After I rinsed out my DC my hair still felt amazing. I then put in my leave-ins and commenced to rollersetting. My hair dried with a gorgeous shine and it feels awesome.

I am so surprised at my results. Normally my hair is an oddball and things that work for most on this board don’t really work for me! But in this case, I am soooo on the henna bandwangon! I plan to henna every two weeks for here on out!

Awesome review Charmtreese. You did the right thing by not combing the henna through your hair. I never ever do that. Dcing afterwards was also a very great idea. I don't recommend skipping this step especially if your hair is proned to dryness.

charmtreese

I agree. It is recommended to apply to the hair while warm.

Really? I froze the left over henna that I had. When i go to use it how should I defrost it? Should I just let it sit out on the counter over night or heat it up in the microwave???

Muse

This is what I did:

Congradulations on a successful henna! I love Karishma henna I just did one yesterday and it turned out great! One reason I believe it turned out so great for you is because you kept it VERY simple, henna and water. That's all I ever use. A lot of people start off by throwing in everything (including the kitchen sink!) and they get dryness and wrongfully blame it on the henna-instead of the loads of lemon juice they used:lachen:.

LOL, I tried to follow the directions one time and combed it through a section of my 4B NATURAL hair, never again:nono:. Good call on smoothing it through with your hands!

Aggie

Really? I froze the left over henna that I had. When i go to use it how should I defrost it? Should I just let it sit out on the counter over night or heat it up in the microwave???

Whatever you do, do not put in the microwave. It will destroy the properties of the henna and it will not be as effective as it should. I recommend using a double boiler(sp?) if you have one. I don't have a double boiler so what I do is fill a large skillet with hot water, allow to boil, then wrap the refrigerated bowl of henna in a large hot wet towel and sit it in the large skillet of boiled water. Turn the stove down low and allow to slowly heat the henna until warm enough to put on my hair. I know it sounds wierd and my family get a big kick out of it:grin:, but it really works for me:yep:.

Last edited:

Stella B.

Whatever you do, do not put in the microwave. It will destroty the properties of the henna and it will not as effective as it should. I recommend using a double boiler(sp?) if you have one. I don't have a double boiler so what I do is fill a large skillet with hot water, allow to boil, then wrap the refridgerated bowl of henna in a large hot wet towel and sit it in the large skillet of boiled water. Turn the stove down low and allow to slowly heat the henna until warm enough to put on my hair. I know it sounds wierd and my family get a big kick out of it:grin:, but it really works for me:yep:.
Thanks, Aggie for the info on heating henna slowly after removing it from the freezer. I actually took some henna out of the freezer early today, and let it defrost slowly on the kitchen counter. It didn't take too long to defrost because its pretty warm here today. I'll try your method next time! I hennaed first, rinsed, and indigo'd about 40 minutes ago. I normally combine my henna and indigo together, based on mehindi.com's instructions. Today I decided to do the 2 step method, and I'm sitting here with my head wrapped up in indigo. :drunk: I plan on leaving it on for about 2-3 hours, then rinsing, and on to a moisturizing DC before the end of the evening. Do you think 2-3 hrs of indigo'ing is long enough? I'm trying to cover my gray edges!:yep:

Last edited:

Aggie

Thanks, Aggie for the info on heating henna slowly after removing it from the freezer. I actually took some henna out of the freezer early today, and let it defrost slowly on the kitchen counter. It didn't take too long to defrost because its pretty warm here today. I'll try your method next time! I hennaed first, rinsed, and indigo'd about 40 minutes ago. I normally combine my henna and indigo together, based on mehindi.com's instructions. Today I decided to do the 2 step method, and I'm sitting here with my head wrapped up in indigo. :drunk: I plan on leaving it on for about 2-3 hours, then rinsing, and on to a moisturizing DC before the end of the evening. Do you think 2-3 hrs of indigo'ing is long enough? I'm trying to cover my gray edges!:yep:

You're welcomed SB. In answer to the bolded, yes 2-3 hours is enough for the indigo to deposit color on your strands/gray hairs. That's all I do and it colors my grays very well.

keluric

I just ordered some Karishma henna after reading all of the positive reviews. I can't wait to receive it.

halocj: I've never seen indigo in a market, but that's not to say it can't be found.

Ozma

REPOST from another thread:

I need some advice. My mother was impressed with the results I've gotten from henna, so I started applying treatments to her hair, too.
She is not satisfied with her results after three treatments. She has very coarse, resistant gray hair which is now deep burgundy and rust color. the first treatment was just henna+coffee. The second two were henna+indigo, one-step process, because she doesn't want black, she wants brown hair.
So what can I do now? She is ready to give up and use a permanent chemical color over the henna. Is this safe? Should we do another henna+indigo?

If it makes a difference, I ordered the henna and indigo from henna sooq, so Khadija if you have any suggestions, I'd love to have your expertise.:yep:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
REPOST from another thread:

I need some advice. My mother was impressed with the results I've gotten from henna, so I started applying treatments to her hair, too.
She is not satisfied with her results after three treatments. She has very coarse, resistant gray hair which is now deep burgundy and rust color. the first treatment was just henna+coffee. The second two were henna+indigo, one-step process, because she doesn't want black, she wants brown hair.
So what can I do now? She is ready to give up and use a permanent chemical color over the henna. Is this safe? Should we do another henna+indigo?

If it makes a difference, I ordered the henna and indigo from henna sooq, so Khadija if you have any suggestions, I'd love to have your expertise.:yep:

Do another henna+indigo with less indigo. Ask Mom to have some patience. :yep: It takes multiple treatments to naturally tone color-resistant, gray hair; 3 is just the beginning:lachen:!

Remind her that the good thing is that it's natural! If she really doesn't want to continue with the henna (I hope she does :yep:) then coloring it with a chemical color would be fine a week or more after her latest henna.

What's her percentage of gray? Hairline or all over?

Ozma

She is 80% gray at this point. All over.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

She is 80% gray at this point. All over.

Try again - she has a lot of gray. The trick is getting the ratio of henna to indigo to get the right shade of brown she wants.

ETA: How long are you letting the mix sit on her hair? She should let it sit on her hair for 4-6 hours. Some people don't leave it in long enough and wonder why it doesn't work.

Ozma

I let the color release overnight and she has been leaving it on for about 5-6 hours each time.

Whisper

I see that some relaxed heads choose to henna after a touch up...I am considering a henna treatment tomorrow (gloss). Has anyone experienced a negatie difference hennaing first and then relaxing , like a week later?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I see that some relaxed heads choose to henna after a touch up...I am considering a henna treatment tomorrow (gloss). Has anyone experienced a negatie difference hennaing first and then relaxing , like a week later?

I have henna/indigo'd 2 weeks before a touch-up relaxer and I've also done it 1 week after.

Whisper

Thanks J Noir!, I will henna tomorrow with Rajasthani, mix with Amla, honey , olive oil and conditioner. I want to add as much strength and thickness prior to my texturizer.

Pooks

Hey all

I hendingo'd yesterday, this time excluding EVCO from my mix, leaving just Jamila henna, indigo, horsetail tea and a small amount of honey - left the mix on for about 4 hrs. I found it rinsed from my hair quite easily this time, just one cowash with AO HSR, and then I DC'd with a mix of HSR and WC for 2 hours no heat.

My results were mixed - I think leaving the oil out worked in my favour as it rinsed out so quickly and easily - a marked difference from my previous hennas, however I know that I didn't DC for long enough afterwards because I started the whole process later than I should've - my hair is strong, but dry today, need to DC again. Also I didn't oil my scalp with anything prior to the application, and my scalp was very sensitive last night. So for me, I think I will scritch prior, and DC longer, and possibly add more liquid to my mix in future, go for a yoghurty texture. Its all a learning curve...

Last edited:

Ms_CoCo37

I tried henna for the first time yesterday. The mixture stank like heck (probably the coffee and acv). DD walked by as I was mixing it and said, "hmmm...that looks like poop and it stinks...are you actually gonna put that in your hair?" Of course I gave her the "death ray" her and kept right on mixing.

I let it sit for two hours. Applied it to my dry hair and left it on for 3 hours(I couldn't wait any longer).

Based on many of the posts I read in this thread I anticipated having a hard time rinsing it, but it rinsed right out. I co-washed and oh my goodness! It combed out like a dream with very little hair loss! I didn't DC and I think I should have because it looks dry and feels soft.

I'll co-wash again tonight and maybe do a full head baggy.

Next I'd like to try the indigo. It looks like I'll need to order it online because the indian market didn't have any. :-(

baddison

natural for good
I tried henna for the first time yesterday. The mixture stank like heck (probably the coffee and acv). DD walked by as I was mixing it and said, "hmmm...that looks like poop and it stinks...are you actually gonna put that in your hair?" Of course I gave her the "death ray" her and kept right on mixing.

I let it sit for two hours. Applied it to my dry hair and left it on for 3 hours(I couldn't wait any longer).

Based on many of the posts I read in this thread I anticipated having a hard time rinsing it, but it rinsed right out. I co-washed and oh my goodness! It combed out like a dream with very little hair loss! I didn't DC and I think I should have because it looks dry and feels soft.

I'll co-wash again tonight and maybe do a full head baggy.

Next I'd like to try the indigo. It looks like I'll need to order it online because the indian market didn't have any. :-(

Congrats on your successful henna. Yup :yep:, I usually do a whole head baggy for one or two nites after my henna. Dryness-no-more!!:yep:

heyfranz

I plan to relax this weekend after a 16 week stretch and i'm doing henna tonight. Can i do a protein on Wednesday and relax on Friday or can my henna treatment substitute for my pre-relaxer protein treatment?

Aggie

I plan to relax this weekend after a 16 week stretch and i'm doing henna tonight. Can i do a protein on Wednesday and relax on Friday or can my henna treatment substitute for my pre-relaxer protein treatment?

I don't recommend using the henna as a substitute for protein. Use an actual protein treatment and henna 2-3 weeks after the relaxer. That should suffice.

Pooks

I've seen a couple of fotkians henna on their braided hair (no hair added). Anyone in here do it?