How come my Hair grew so much when i had a Jheri Curl?!!!!

p381

Over the weekend i was looking at some old photo's of me in the 80's and my hair was so long & thick!
Don't laugh, but i had a Jheri Curl back then and even with the curl "shrinkage" - my hair was almost armpit length! (and that's very long for me :perplexed).
Since then, i've worn my hair in braids or had it Relaxed and it's Relaxed at the moment, but i can never seem to grow it past shoulder length. (It's between neck and shoulder length now :rolleyes:).
What i'd like to know is, what was it about the Jheri Curl that made my hair grow like that?!! I've tried many things, but can never acheive the same results.

Last edited:

Keen

It was due to the constant moisture from the curl activator, which result in less breakage more retention. You probably washed and comb your hair more often also which stimulate blood flow.

BonBon

Wheres the throwback pic! I agree, all the moisture equals maximum retention :) ETA: I thought you included a pic LOL, my bad!

p381

It was due to the constant moisture from the curl activator, which result in less breakage more retention. You probably washed and comb your hair more often also which stimulate blood flow.

Yeah, i guess so!
I've been using the Scurl Spray & Gel but now i'm wondering whether to start using Carefree Curl Gold, as i've seen that a lot ladies on here have been using it with good results. :look:

p381

Wheres the throwback pic! I agree, all the moisture equals maximum retention :) ETA: I thought you included a pic LOL, my bad!

At work at the mo', but when i get home - i see if i can add a pic. (If i can work up the nerve).
It ain't pretty though. :lol:

SvelteVelvet

Like Keen said, more moisture so more retention. I'll also add to that the absence of heat styling. I think this question spawned the "Juice" challenges.