Unsalted butter on hair?

ElegantExotic

I haven't heard of using unsalted butter alone, but, in Naturally Beautiful by Dawn Gallagher, there are recipes for hair conditioning treatments by Phillip Kinglsey which call for the use of unsalted butter.

Please keep us updated as to how it goes for you. Thaks for sharing!!!

I saw this on another website this weekend. Very interesting:

It's from Trichologist - Philip Kingsley,I used his elasticizer range and I love it. I'm trying to switch to home made/natural hair products/treatments. So, natural + Philip Kingsley is like a no brainer for me. I can't wait to try this next wash day/next weekend.

Black Afro/Caribbean hair is the most vulnerable to damage & breakage out of any hair texture due to its unique structure and configuration. This means it needs specialized products that provide extra hydration and protection in order to look, feel and be at its best. We suggest that those with Afro textured hair use a weekly pre-shampoo deeply intensive conditioning treatment. Philip Kingsley makes a multi-award winning treatment called Elasticizer Extreme, but if you wish to make your own hydrating treatment for extremely porous, tight curls at home, whisk together the following:

2 eggs
2oz double cream
1oz castor oil
1oz melted butter
1oz purified water
Juice of half a grapefruit

Refrigerate overnight if necessary and use as needed.
Apply the mixture to the whole length of your hair in sections. Work into your hair with fingers and massage your scalp for five-ten minutes with a gentle kneading motion. Leave in for twenty minutes (or overnight) and shampoo and condition as usual. Do this as often as possible until your hair is sufficiently improved.

You can substitute almond oil or olive oil for castor oil. - The PK Team.

There are other DIY treatments on this site: DIY Hair Treatments | The Philip Kingsley Blog: http://blog.philipkingsley.com/category/diy-hair-treatments/

Ethnic Textured Hair | The Philip Kingsley Blog: http://blog.philipkingsley.com/category/hair-types/ethnic-textured-hair-hair-types/

I found the inclusion of melted butter, grapefruit and double cream rather interesting and peculiar.

betty-boo

Hello :wave:

I was doing some googling on this yesterday and I stumbled across a few websites that say Ethiopians/Eritreans use their own butter for hair, but use a kind of ghee product for cooking only. They advise not to use ghee for hair. I suppose making ghee might reduce some of the beneficial nutrients for hair? I dunno?

I watched this YouTube video:

And in the comments section, Ethiopians/Eritreans and Fulanis came forward to say this is not what they do (I.e. using ghee on their hair).
I’ve copied and pasted some of the comments to the video below:

Dina Yasin: “I am Ethiopian. We don't use Ghee butter for hair. Ghee butter is a boiled butter with some herbs and it is for cooking. We use fresh and pure cow butter, mixed with lemon and rolled by a herb called "kese", for hair and it is specifically made for hair treatment and not for eating. If there is an Ethiopian hair salon near where you live, ask them. They might have it and sometimes they apply and wash it after an hour or two. And, it is called "Qibe", in the local tongue.”

Denknesh Ethiopia: “...i am Ethiopian but we dont use such kind of butter for haire in Ethiopia we actully use butter which is so fresh and no smell it hasat all . which u used it is not Ethiopian butter at all its just for commercial if u want try to use ethiopian butter use wipped havy cream and blend it with blender untill u get a Butur thats Ethiopian butur for hair”
(I copied word for word!)

There are many comments like this. A few advise not to use ghee as it is like using crisco instead of olive oil as they both have different uses.

The comments section is very illuminating on how they use it, wash it out (i.e. with room temperature water), the varying frequencies they use it etc. They also say, like the first post, that getting unsalted organic/good quality butter from the store works just as well.

In my reading, some add flaxseed, lemon, olive oil, avocado and even banana to it, but they say all this isn’t necessary to get the effects.

I hope someone finds this helpful! Xxxxxx

PlanetCybertron

I’ve used straight up unsalted butter right out the fridge. Multiple times. I turn to butter when I’ve run out of everything else. I just cut off a small cube, take a piece and rub it together to melt it. Sometimes I’ll melt it down, sometimes I won’t.

I’ve seen the best results from doing an ACV rinse prior to using the butter. I have extremely porous hair, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen something help smooth down my cuticles the way fatty acids in butter do, only thing I can compare it to would be Shea Butter. I like how light butter is. Never really noticed until I started trying it.