Getting (hair products) grease and oil stains off pillow cases

almond eyes

How do you ladies get the grease and oil stains from hair products off of pillow cases?. I wash mine in hot water and the grease/oil stains remain. I am resorting to sleeping with a towel as I can't afford to spoil my pillows and pillow cases.

Best,
Almond Eyes

tecourt

I add Dawn dish liquid to my regular laundry detergent. I have also started sleeping with a Turbie-Twist towel over my scarf. It soaks up the excess oil and water.

PinkyD

I thought I was the only one! I do a double pillowcase method, satin pillowcase with my regular pillowcase over it. At night I simply remove the regular pillowcase and sleep on the satin one. My satin pillowcase is cheetah print! It cannot be seen! I also put a towel underneath my pillow. Every now and again iI accidentally drop my satin scarf on my duvet cover, leaving oil marks. I use Spray and Wash immediately! It works on minor oil stains. Also may I suggest Murphy's oil soap. Oil removes oil...I have never used it for that purpose, but I heard it works. HTH :)

PinkyD

I add Dawn dish liquid to my regular laundry detergent. I have also started sleeping with a Turbie-Twist towel over my scarf. It soaks up the excess oil and water.

I forgot about the Turbie-Twist! I do that as well, but not consitently , it makes my head hot. I usually use it when I have condish or henna in my hair. Does the dish liquid lead to any facial irritation at all?

tecourt

I forgot about the Turbie-Twist! I do that as well, but not consitently , it makes my head hot. I usually use it when I have condish or henna in my hair. Does the dish liquid lead to any facial irritation at all?
I have really sensitive skin and I have never had a problem with the dish liquid. Dawn even makes a sensitive skin formula if you are worried about facial irritation.

almond eyes

Thanks for the advice. I was reading somewhere to use powder to absorb the oil before it goes into the wash.

Best,
Almond Eyes

LaidBak

I had asked this question a long time ago and no one answered. Since then I have discovered that I can use hot water and add 20 Mule Team Borax to my regular detergent. But that only works about 80% of the time. I have just learned to live with the stains now.

Nonie

For those not trying to avoid moisture (I know pressed natural hair would not appreciate this suggestion), may I suggest baggying? No stains on pillows when you wear a plastic cap. :yep:

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
tide or shout advanced as pretreatment(for staining oils). I stopped having this happen though when I started applying oils earlier in the evening to let them absorb in time for bed.

beans4reezy

I was making my bed yesterday and realized that on my pillow, there was a darker area from the oil and products I use on my hair. I thought, "darn, another casualty in my war for long hair." I will try dawn, then Oxiclean and see if these work.

Last edited:

Nonie

I just realized I didn't answer this question, but shared what you can do in the future. :hide: OK, here's what I found. I know with cotton the hottest water you can find will work, but with synthetic fibers, it gets tricky coz some might get damaged by hot water.

Anyway, here's some info online:

Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Laundry Pretreatment
* Paper towels
* Dry-cleaning Solvent
* Talcum Powder
* Cornstarches

Step 1

Apply an absorbent such as talcum powder or cornstarch to the affected area, then brush away. If the stain is heavy or old, proceed to Step 2; if fresh, skip to Step 3.

Step 2

Place stain facedown on paper towels. Blot back of stain with a dry-cleaning solvent. Replace paper towels as they soak up the stain.

Step 3

Spray with laundry pretreatment.

Step 4

Wash in the hottest water that's safe for the garment.

Step 5

Air dry.
Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_13515_remove-oil-grease.html

And THEN you can start using a baggy to prevent future soiling. :look:

LaidBak

For those not trying to avoid moisture (I know pressed natural hair would not appreciate this suggestion), may I suggest baggying? No stains on pillows when you wear a plastic cap. :yep:

I tried that and ended up with a sweaty, stinky head. :lachen: