Ladies that have overcome thinning edges, what WORKED??

deltagyrl

amr501 said:
Yep, MTG is the TRUTH....it brought my edges back in less than 2 months. As a matter a fact I had to slow down using it, I was starting to look like a chia pet :lol:

Ok? :p MTG works.

curlyj

MTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!(singing)
Seriously, my temple hair almost reaches end of ear...MTG is great I just applied nightly during the cold months pretty much everynight. Downside-facial hair:eek:....

DaBossOMe

The hairline is my most delicate area as far as relaxers go, and before I went natural in 2002, mine was just about non-existent. This was owing to (this was the single most damaging mistake I made in this area)...

allowing my hairstylist to apply relaxer to it first and allowing
it to process for the same amount of time that the rest of my hair did (usually until my scalp was on fire!!)

Now that I know better, I self-relax now, very carefully! I also part an inch-wide strip along my hairline before applying relaxer to my hair and process my hairline only after I've applied and smoothed the relaxer into my new-growth throughout the rest of my hair. When I finally address my hairline, the rest of my hair has processed for 10-15 minutes. I am careful not to leave the relaxer on my hairline for more than 5 minutes, because this area is so prone to over-processing. Since I was natural for so long, I don't mind my hairline being a little under-processed as opposed to being overly so. So far I haven't had any problems hanging on to my new hairline that I had to wait four years to get back!:D

HTH!!

kls4c03

I too have had thinning edges. It's occurred off and on in my life. I went natural for about 5 years and didn't have problems with edges. But now I'm back to a relaxer and after 2 years my edges and around the crown are thinning. I started to see some new growth in the area. I think from massaging with oil and maybe the way that the relaxer was applied by my stylist, but, I had to switch stylists. Now I'm noticing this problem again. It might be part hereditary, but I'm not convinced that is totally the problem.

grnidmonster

I've been using the follicle booster for about 2-3 weeks and my hair has begun to fill in nicely. I was wearing a nylon wave cap to keep my wrap in place at night (I know dumb) and it rubbed off the hair on the sides of my head above my ears. Fortunately it has begun to grow back.

I"ve also had a bald spot on the top of my head for several months and I have been using the booster there. It has been much slower growing on the top of my head for some reason but, it seems to be working too. The spot on the top of my head was completly resistant to MTG for some reason, but is responding to the follicle booster. HTH.

Tee

Surge14. Even though I didnt like it, it worked.
I gave it to my cousin and she said it grew her daughter's bald spot back. She was having a hard time with that spot!

InNeedofHairapy

Bookmarking this to read later.

My last touch up the lady applied relaxer to my edges FIRST. I've had a bald spot on my temple since birth (my mom has a spot in that same area, but her's is blonde, go figure)

Anyway, Before you could only see my spot if you went looking for it..now, it's sooo thin, and I hate it. I've been trying to wear buns lately to0, and I might have to stop, because the sides are so jacked.

SohoHair

Only relaxing my edges EVERY OTHER touchup. It kept me looking quite crazy (since I was stretching for 3-4 months in the first place) but you do what you have to. Also, when I did finally relax the area I put the relaxer on at the very end, and kept it in for only a few minutes. In between relaxers I made sure to massage in a jojoba oil/castor oil mix regularly. When I get my fotki back up and running in a few months I'll post some before and after pics, but suffice to say my edges have done a complete 180 and I am so happy about it.:)

toniy

I have had a thin crown and edges since 2003. Medical reasons. What works for me? I am kind of scared to say this .. but I was on a board (not sure if this is it) and Miconazole nitrate was recommended. I mix this in my oil mix (coconut, jojoba, castor, msm) and I am growing this hair that has a weird texture. :) I dont know exactly what is doing it, I just know i am growing hair. I have started posting pics and will put the link out once I get it right!

Soul♥Flower

curlyj said:
MTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!(singing)
Seriously, my temple hair almost reaches end of ear...MTG is great I just applied nightly during the cold months pretty much everynight. Downside-facial hair:eek:....

MTG makes you have facial hair?!...oh damn.

gn1g

Lenzi's request, daily massages, no manipulation and not wearing anything on my hair line i.e. night caps, shower caps etc.

ShaniKeys

All I've been doing is paying attention to not putting too much stress on my hairline (scarf, tight braids...), and it's kinda working. I've never really experienced a thinnin' hair line, but after taking out some cornrows my sister had done on my hair (--> way too tight around the hairline) I noticed that I had little hair left on my right side, but it's growing now Thank God.

AtlantaJJ

Ms_Twana said:
I just made an appointment with a black dermatologist. The receptionist was a little throw off when I asked what race the doctor was!!! LOL!!:lol: I figured she just may be able to relate a little better if it is a hair thing rather than a hereditary one.
I just saw one on Friday and she suggested Rogaine and possible injections after the blood work comes back. I'll be sure to ask her if Rogaine will potentally do more harm than good over the long run. I read so many reviews over the weekend, some sing its praises, others curse it...just like most anything else on the market.! I figure I'll give it a try for bit, combined with the castor oil messages and the topical treatments....:ohwell:

AtlantaJJ

gn1g said:
Lenzi's request, daily massages, no manipulation and not wearing anything on my hair line i.e. night caps, shower caps etc.
I think I'm going to try the Lenzi's request after I finish this little 2 oz batch of rogaine... it seems to be getting so many good reviews, I wish I had thought of that after my Dr.'s appointment, but instead I just ran off to the pharmacy and got what she recommened.

I'm glad I found this thread....

AtlantaJJ

Letitia said:
Surge14. Even though I didnt like it, it worked.
I gave it to my cousin and she said it grew her daughter's bald spot back. She was having a hard time with that spot!
When do you use the Surge14? it's like after I style my hair I don't use because it messes it up. But I guess I could spritz my edges...not the entire head....???

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ said:
I just saw one on Friday and she suggested Rogaine and possible injections after the blood work comes back. I'll be sure to ask her if Rogaine will potentally do more harm than good over the long run. I read so many reviews over the weekend, some sing its praises, others curse it...just like most anything else on the market.! I figure I'll give it a try for bit, combined with the castor oil messages and the topical treatments....:ohwell:

I just thought about it! I know what caused the problem, it was my new wig! I only wore it a couple of times but I know that thing rubs right on the spots that I am suddenly having the problems with! Snap, I was sitting here thinking what when wrong! That was it! I didn't get the special protection band that I posted on about a month ago, and now that is why I am having the problem.

Well at least I can stop further damage by not wearing the darn thing :cry:

Ms_Twana

AtlantaJJ, I was gonna suggest that you be careful with the Rogaine. It's my understanding that you have to use it longterm in order for it to work properly.

AtlantaJJ

Ms_Twana said:
AtlantaJJ, I was gonna suggest that you be careful with the Rogaine. It's my understanding that you have to use it longterm in order for it to work properly.
I think I'm going to take that stuff back to the store for a refund.. there are other methods, especially since I know how my edges got rubbed off vs just falling out.... After doing some searches in the archives, I'm getting that same vibe too, it's not held in high regard on this board so it's going back to the store.

I just sprayed my edges with Surge....I can do that until I can order some Leniz's request.

Now where is that receipt??.....:look:

Tee

AtlantaJJ said:
When do you use the Surge14? it's like after I style my hair I don't use because it messes it up. But I guess I could spritz my edges...not the entire head....???

Right, I sprayed it only on my edges. (not the entire head.)

meaganita

delta_gyrl said:
Due to PP shedding my edges thinned. I noticed that they weren't as thin as my last pregnancy b/c I was taking Biotin. I decided to use MTG this time and the results were pretty amazing. They filled back in pretty quickly.
I know this thread is old, but what works, works...I'm glad I got MTG:grin: