I just walked out of the salon with half done hair!

naturalmanenyc

I'm livid. I finally tried The Drybar in Tribeca after specifically saying call me by 9:30 am if there was no stylist who could blow out natural African American hair with 1/8 inch curls, type 4a hair, because I didn't want to waste my time or theirs. I wrote this in special requests. I got a call at 9:25 am but it was my brother. I came into Manhattan and it was a waste of time.

Brianna did my hair and I should have known she didn't know wth she was doing when she was too shocked at my curls after the wash. I walked in with a rollerset high bun. This woman was ripping through my hair by the time I walked out. She was okay at first but I could tell when she got frustrated since she was increasingly rough with my hair.

She tried to say it was knots caught in the brush but no, it was tangles because she doesn't know how to manage my hair type. I ended up telling her to just stop.

She tried to tell me she has dealt with my hair type before and I told her I didn't believe it and could tell she was frustrated. She said she needed to flat iron it but she already used too much heat for me with the blow out attempt. She was a colorist for 3 years and claims to have done hair for 7 years. If so, it's only Caucasian hair.

Some guy with multi colored hair offered to finish my blow out but I said no.

I went to pay, for the shampoo at least, but they said no charge.

I'm literally on the street with half done hair. I'm putting it in a ponytail to cover the wet section.

ForumRunner_20130622_115742.jpg

ForumRunner_20130622_115757.jpg

I'm at home now with Aubrey GPB on my hair.

It was hard to get a photo on the street but I took more when I got home. I suspect she has worked with Mixed Chicks type hair, not my hair type at all. I already submitted my yelp review.

Bun before Drybar:

Mimosa and brush #1

Blow out:

Bun after Drybar:

Unfinished blow out:

I will say it was not as bad as my last walking out of a salon experience at Red Room Luxe Salon at OMHH posted here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=631837&highlight=omhh

This was Debra's attempt at a blow out half way through at Red Room Luxe Salon. Can you tell which half was blown out? The Drybar was not as bad as this but neither salon will get my business again.

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
You did the right thing by walking out. It does look like she only had a little section left by the pictures. I walked out of a salon once with full wet hair. She had the nerves to try to detangle my hair soaking wet. I'm sorry but not every black hair can be detangled soaking wet, conditioner or no conditioner, for me it's just not happening.

VivaMac

Again! :nono: I am sorry this happened. How are you finding these places are you using references?

I am wanting to go and get my hair pampered, but I live in a City where it's mostly Asians and whites, so I just won't take the chance unless, I get a good reference from someone whose hair looks like mine and they have some sense. :look:

Andrea2012

OMG! I hope she did not cause any major damage. That is just sad. She probably knew she couldn't handle your hair when you walked in the door. She should have just been honest instead of putting you through that nightmare. :nono:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
SMH I'm sorry you had to deal with partially styled hair. Are you going to submit a formal complaint?

Guinan

Re-Branding
im glad you didnt stay and let that women destroy all your hard work. Good Stylists are sooooo hard to find. Theres this place in Philly that ive been wanting to try. i have seen there work on AA women and it looks beautiful, but i dont know if they are natural, relaxed or texlax.

Also, i luv how detailed ur review was and the pics!

naturalmanenyc

pre_medicalrulz
I posted more photos. Basically my crown was not done. That is my coarser section of hair so it could only get worse.

VivaMac
Dry bar has Yelp reviews noting that they can do natural hair. I used this location and requested someone familiar with my hair type. The names that I found on Yelp for naturals were at other Dry bar locations that were completely booked.

The only natural friend that I have in NYC is type 3b and the salon she recommended for a blow out scalped her just before her wedding (BSL to APL) so I'd never use them.

No, I don't walk up to random women with type 4 hair and ask them if they straighten and where they get blow outs. If I see someone with my hair type it's always in it's curly state. Once blow dry bar that I tried, Black female owner and natural, was the absolute worst: Red Room Luxe at OMHH. I posted about it up thread. I went in for a consultation and saw her at least twice more before I made an appointment.

This was the flyer I saw that led me to that hot mess of a salon.

I foolishly thought a natural with a blow dry bar would know how to do my hair. Huge mistake.
This was my blow out at that salon, half finished.

This was my blow out at home later the same day and my own flat iron.

Andrea2012
I am really hoping Brianna didn't damage my hair. The funny part about all of this is I went for a blow out since I planned to get a second trim today on dry hair. I got a trim on Monday on wet, curly hair but when I roller set a few days ago I felt like my ends were still raggedy in some places. I am preparing to send a hair sample for my Komaza Hair Analysis and I intended to send samples with freshly trimmed ends. Now I won't bother with a trim until after the analysis since my hair is wet and I need to roller set today. I will just send those shed hairs instead of waiting until next weeks wash.

NappyNelle
I submitted a review on Yelp already. The owner replies to a lot of the reviews and she is big on social media so I'm sure she will see it soon.

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
That flyer would have led me there too. Now I'm thinking it was just the retarded stylist with no experience. Maybe the others know what they're doing.

genesislocks

Sorry this happened to you!! :nono:

But you got the last laugh because you left before things escalated, your hair looks healthy and beautiful just like before :yep:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm glad the owner is involved and responsive to the reviews. Hopefully s/he will offer you something for your time and disappointment.

Being in NY, you would think salons would know how to style kinky/curly/coily hair. It's really a shame.

cookiemonster287

I'm sorry that happened to you.... That flyer is really misleading. Glad you walked out... If she didn't know what she was doing she should've just said so.

OT: Your "before" bun was lovely....hopefully mines will be that full one day.

BostonMaria

You did the smart thing by walking out. I don't know if I could ever trust a white stylist. Unless it was a recommendation of course.

If I saw that flyer I would've made an appointment too. Maybe they can handle relaxed or 3A hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Good for you! You should have yelled LHCF FO LIFE as you exited :)

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:I SECOND THAT EMOTION^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!

GOOD FOR YOU FOR WALKING OUT......

newbies take note of this lovely veteran's example: WALK OUT!!!!!! i am so sick of reading "i sat there as she cut all my hair off, knew that brush was ripping my hair out, felt the tangles being ripped through, felt like my relaxer wasn't neutralized properly,.....-----insert other ridiculousness here---"

Good for you, Girl! I hope you didn't suffer any damage~:nono:

starchgirl

Tired of all the salons who claim they can handle natural hair, only to not have the skills to back that statement up.

tequilad28

[
newbies take note of this lovely veteran's example: WALK OUT!!!!!! i am so sick of reading "i sat there as she cut all my hair off, knew that brush was ripping my hair out, felt the tangles being ripped through, felt like my relaxer wasn't neutralized properly,.....-----insert other ridiculousness here---"

Good for you, Girl! I hope you didn't suffer any damage~:nono:[/QUOTE]

Amen to that! notes well taken. :yep: I am so sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad you walk out before that lady damage your gorgeous hair.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I live in NYC and I DO NOT get my hair done here. I'm relaxed and I'm still recovering from damage from the salon. I'm sorry, but I fail to believe 98% of them can do hair and the other 2% are hard to find.

I did happen to find on yelp a salon owned by a German woman I believe on riverside drive by 155th and she has reviews by more than a few natural and relaxed women. I heard about her originally on LHCF. She is apparently good and listens, but now I'm scared to even give her a shot.

Once you said TriBeCa though, I already knew the story was going to hell in a hand basket from there!!!!

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

werenumber2

Kudos to you for walking out! You may have saved your hair doing so. :yep:

I had my hair done in April at the DryBar in the Flatiron district and had a really great experience. I'm guessing the stylists can be hit or miss, but it's really unfortunate they gave you someone who had no experience with your hair type even after specifying when you booked the appointment.

Keshieshimmer

How odd that people can't find natural hair care stylists in NYC. Aren't y'all supposed to be the cultural everything Mecca?

I saw your recap on youtube. Glad you walked out.

biznesswmn

How odd that people can't find natural hair care stylists in NYC. Aren't y'all supposed to be the cultural everything Mecca?

I saw your recap on youtube. Glad you walked out.

I think when salons claim to style natural hair they expect to do braids, twists, dreads, etc. not a straight style on a natural texture. Idk

Sorry abt your bad hair appt OP