Am I the only one who calls them french braids?

What do you call those braids

• French Braids

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • Cornrows

Votes: 163 65.2%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.4%

• Total voters

rainbowknots

I have always called "cornrows" french braids. Actually, I never heard the term cornrows until I moved from WI. I never see anyone call them french braids either, so I'm wondering if it was just a local thing.

What do you call the braids below:

french braidss.jpg

Last edited:

Aireen

I assume by WI, you mean West Indies. I lived there too and we called those cainrows or cornrows. If it was 1 or 2 braids we called them french braids.

melissa-bee

To me, there is a difference between French braids and canerows.
Canerows are the pics that you posted but French braids are when it's only one or two braids that are done thickly...like there is a lot more hair in the braid.

cheryl26

I've used french braid when it's just one braid down the middle like this

ChristmasCarol

Here in Northern Ohio, we use both terms to describe the braids you pictured. But, one or two braids are ALWAYS called French braids. Don't know about Southern Ohio - we don't really consider them to be part of the state, lol.

Last edited:

hothair

We call it weaving. When I encountered people of West Indian heritage is when I heard it called cornrows. French braid to me are the large inverted plaits as shown above.

Your Cheeziness

One or two large braids I call french braiding. That you posted, I call cornrows. I hear people say cornROLLS and I'm like...where is this rolling you speak of??

jerseygurl

Not a new member
In Nigeria, we call them weaving and french braids are one or two inverted braids, which we also call matting.

fletgee

I was always told the difference between the two braiding methods was in how the actual hair was braided. In one method you do what is called overbraiding. To overbraid you draw the side hair in over the top and braid overhanded-one hand over the other-plams facing down. Underbraiding is the reverse. To underbraid you draw the side hair in underneath and braid -with your palms facing up.

Coffee

I grew up only knowing them as French Braids. It wasn't until I was older that I started calling them cornrows.

greenandchic

I was always told the difference between the two braiding methods was in how the actual hair was braided. In one method you do what is called overbraiding. To overbraid you draw the side hair in over the top and braid overhanded-one hand over the other-plams facing down. Underbraiding is the reverse. To underbraid you draw the side hair in underneath and braid -with your palms facing up.

That's how I was always taught the difference between French braids and cornrolls.

Though this is one braid, its a cornrow because its underbraided (and stands out instead of being inverted). It doesn't matter how many braids or rolls it has.

This is a French braid because its inverted.

Like an "innie" vs. an "outie".

faithVA

This is how I learned it. It was the size or the amount, it is how the hair is braided. If you braid the hair under it is a corn row. If your braid the hair over it is a french braid. If you take two braids the same size a cornrow braid looks different than a french braid.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
French braid is when it's braided inverted. It doesn't matter how many... it's the technique

Last edited:

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
That's how I was always taught the difference between French braids and cornrolls.

Though this is one braid, its a cornrow because its underbraided (and stands out instead of being inverted). It doesn't matter how many braids or rolls it has.

This is a French braid because its inverted.

Like an "innie" vs. an "outie".
and you are exactly right

PJaye

I agree with fletgee, greenandchic and Val.

If the braid was done in an under-handed fashion with the “row” on top, it’s a cornrow; if an over-handed method was used with the “row” being underneath, it’s considered French braid.

What differentiates each type is the approach, not the number of braids.

nysister

That's what I've known as French braids as well. One or two large braids braided under not over.

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

Nonie

Whether underbraided or overbraided, if it's one (and sometimes two) meaning all the hair put in one row, then it's a French braid. If there are many rows whether underbraided or over, they are cornrows.

When I was growing up in Kenya, majority of cornrows I came across looked like this:

And it was only when I saw French braids (meaning one or two) that I saw the sort of braiding you see with the "rope" on the outside like this:

In fact, before I understood that a French braid was all the hair combined into one, I thought that it was the braiding where you can see the "rope" that made it a French braid and not the style.

But now I know cornrows are many, French braid is when hair is combined into one (or in some places two) rows whether under or over. In fact, this website shows the "rope" on the outside in its definition of French plait/braid: http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/french-plait