How do I keep my wig from getting so tangled?

justnotsure

I have a human hair half wig that I am pretty much wearing everyday. I have noticed that it gets so tangled and I have to brush it or comb it several times a day (like 10 times). I also had the same problem when I had my sew-in...and that was human hair as well. It seems as if it starting getting worse after washing the hair. I washed it with the same shampoo and condish I use on my own hair and let them both air dry for the most part (with the sew-in, I would use a blow dryer on my braids underneath so that they wouldn't be so wet for so long).

Has anyone else had this problem? What am I doing wrong?

QueenHav

Are the tangles at the nape of your neck? If so, its the heat from your head + contact with your collar/clothes that contributes to the tangles. This used to happen to me too. What type and brand of hair are you wearing?

GreenD

Great question!! I have the same problem with my synthetic ones and it's guaranteed to start at the nape. I wear curly wings for this specific reason, because it can conceal the tangle a little better or a little longer, but I still have to detangle it.

I think it's because the hair dries out and the wind can make it tangle up in addition to the movement of your head against your clothes. Whenever I take mine off I put it directly in the bag it came in, but I'm afraid to spray it with wig spray because that seems to make it sticky and weigh it down, thus causing more tangles.

Maybe the solution is to wash it like once a week or so. I'm finding that caring for a wig is almost like caring for your own hair! It needs moisture, it'll knot up and you have to be gentle when detangling....

justnotsure

Yes the tangles are exactly at the nape of my neck with the half wig, but it was pretty much the entire length of my sew in, which was about BSL. IDK what brand my wig is, but my sew-in was Outre Premium human hair.

Calia001

i dont use shampoo for my half wigs at all. straight conditioner (cholesterol actually) leave it in overnight, wash it out, hang dry and its fine.
ive done this with my synthetic ones

atlien11

a little bit of product that contains silicone will help keep the strands from sticking together (just dont overdue it), i.e. something like Redken Heat Glide. This wont solve 100% of the problem but it does help.

crazydaze911

I have the same prob with my half wigs. i use freetress - its synthetic. but i also had this problem with weaves and extensions that have human hair. My REAL hair does not take as much care as the fake stuff - the fake stuff can have knots that are so bad i just want to throw them out.

also - when i mentioned this problem to the lady at the BSS, she swore it was MY FAULT for trying to brush the wigs - i was like wtf, how does that make sense? lol.

justnotsure

Ok so I am going to try the cholesterol thing and the silicon afterwards and see if that helps. I am going to have to wait until tomorrow night to try it though since I have a lot of things going on this week after work. I will try and keep you guys informed on how it went. I loved my half wig at first, and now it seems like I may have brushed all of the hair out from the freaking tangles!

Also, does anyone roller set their wigs? How does that go? I have only ever put in the hot rollers for about 30 minutes and usually the curls are gone in a few hours because I still had to brush/comb out the tangles.

Hairsofab

I'm not sure you can do much of anything. I've worn wigs for years at different periods and the nature of longer wigs is that they tangle even if they say tangle free. What keeps them from not tangling a little longer for me, is when I make sure I keep them on a wig head. Also I turn the wig upside down, and spray wig shine(the kind of the blue bottle) on the nape area and either comb(for a straight wig) or finger it through(for a curly wig). The slip from the shine seems to keep it from looking natty or tangling for a little while longer.

justnotsure

I don't have a wig head, how does that help? I need to get one of those because I just leave mine laying flat on the counter or in a container.

Hairsofab

I think the wig head helps keep the shape of the wig and I notice I don't get as many tangles when I keep it on the wig head versus just throwing it on my counter overnight. I don't know why but it just seems to tangle less. You can usually get the styrofoam wig heads at the BSS for 5 dollars or so.

GreenD

I think I'll try the cholesterol and wig head. I feel bad now, because everytime the wigs tangled too much, I'd just buy another one. So I'd average a new synthetic half wig each month.

I hope these work so I can save some money $$$$.

GreenD

i dont use shampoo for my half wigs at all. straight conditioner (cholesterol actually) leave it in overnight, wash it out, hang dry and its fine.
ive done this with my synthetic ones

Will the curl come back for curly wigs?

justnotsure

My curls didn't completely go away, but I didn't really "wash" the wig so much as I just swished it around in a sink full of water with diluted shampoo. I think I am going to roller set mine after I wash it the next time. It is human hair so I guess it has the same properties. It still had a little curl, but nothing like when I bought it. I'm going to get a wig head today!

LuvLiLocks

I don't know how to prevent the tangling, but I do know that whenever my half wigs strat to look a little tired I rinse gently, let it dry partially, then blow dry with a fine comb attachment and some type of oil. Sometimes even dusting the nape area. This really works for me and so far I have been doing it on synthetic wigs! :yep:

justnotsure

So really...no one has roller set their wig? I really want to know how this will turn out, or I can be the guinea pig and try it out for us all! The problem is that I only have those bendable rod-like rollers...I think they will work though. I'm going to try it with a little Salerm leave in and some Infusium 23 leave-in and see how it turns out.

shenitab

you can roller set the wig, put it in a large ziplock type bag and then place it in really hot water. You can also curl most wigs on low heat settings. Just test it on a small section first.

GreenD

Ooh thank GOD for you all!!! :angel: I think I'm about to save at least $120 for the rest of the year. I hope I won't have to buy another wig until next year some time. I'm on my 4th Cosmopolitan Girl, and I sure could use the extra $30 a month.

xoxoxo's all around!! I hope to get my wig head and some cholesterol this weekend.

So I got a question, at what point is your "glamour" just fini? **My grandmother used to call her wig her glamour. LOl!! :) **

Nubenap22

Lord I thougt I was the only one with the wig and sew in. The hair fro
my sew in saw Hollywood Tiffany Human Yaky. Talk about tangles!!! I only kept it in for 3 weeks mad as he'll bc it was 14 inches and a hot mess!!! Washing it made worse!!! I even detangled it b4 washing it.

Now my wig wasn't too bad. It was synthetic whole wig I wore for 3 weeks but then the back hair started to look like buckwheats head. Thanks for he heads up I plan on trying a half wig (human hair) soon!!!

justnotsure

I am all about the wig/sew-in for my transition. I can't wait to try out some of the techniques. I wish I had the funds to purchase one or two more half wigs, but my budget committee says "no"...:nono:

Thanks for all the tips, and if you have more, please post!