what are you doing to nurture your scalp?

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I know some of us don't really consider our scalp until something is wrong; e.g., when it's oily, dry, dirty, itchy, or if there is excessive dandruff, eczema, thinning hair, etc.

But even when there isn't anything "wrong", do you do anything special to keep your scalp healthy? What do you do/use to nourish your scalp on a regular basis?

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Nothing. :(

I feel bad now. Outside of washing my hair. Nothing. Boo Lucie!

I feel bad, too :lol: I finally have some avocado oil and an applicator bottle, plus I just starting massaging safflower oil onto my scalp. My scalp never really felt "bad", but now that I am applying nourishing oil my scalp feels really good.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
some info on my boo thang (safflower oil):

Safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) is a plant of the family Asteraceae, native to countries such as Iran, North-West India, North America and the Far East. Safflower oil is extracted from the seeds of safflower, which has been used to treat baldness, cholesterol, fatty acids and for the treatment of hair loss.

Safflower Oil Benefits for Hair

Safflower oil rich is highly rich in polyunsaturated fats, containing 77% of linoleic acid (omega-6 essential fatty acids (EFAs)), 10% saturated fats, and 13% oleic acid (omega-9s - monosaturated). This also contains high levels of vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol and phytosterol and thus helps in preventing and treating EFA deficiencies in the body. For hair growth Safflower oil contains large amounts of oleic acid, light in texture, it easily penetrates the scalp. It protects, nourishes, moisturizes and strengthens the hair. Being extremely rich in essential polyunsaturated fatty acids, it is very beneficial for dry, colored hair or permed hair. Safflower oil when applied to the scalp, it acts as a vasodilator which can dilate blood vessels, whereby a large amount of nutrients supplied to the hair follicles by means of blood circulation, and ensure a healthy environment for the growth of hair.

When applied topically on the skin, the soothing and antioxidant properties of safflower oil help to treat damage and inflammation. It is used as a massage oil and is an ingredient in soaps, sunscreens, lotions, moisturizers and cosmetics. Safflower oil reduces the appearance of wrinkles by softening, smoothing and hydrating the skin. In dry, itchy skin conditions, such as eczema, it helps reduce inflammation and speeds healing.

Also try safflower oil as a natural deep conditioning treatment for hair by massaging it into the hair and scalp before shampooing. The oil dilates blood vessels in the scalp, which stimulates circulation of nutrients to the roots and hydrates the hair.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I am actually thinking of applying a little Cerave pm on my scalp bi-weekly to keep it moisturized without making it itch later on. It works really well on my facial skin, isn't scalp just facial skin :look:?

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I am actually thinking of applying a little Cerave pm on my scalp bi-weekly to keep it moisturized without making it itch later on. It works really well on my facial skin, isn't scalp just facial skin :look:?

lol is that cream high in ceramides? I feel like I read somewhere (probably on here) that it is.

Hairness

I apply JBCO that contains several drops of lavender EO and a couple of drops of peppermint EO directly to my scalp. I massage my scalp by moving the skin on my head back and forth and in circles. (I move my scalp as opposed to moving my fingers across my scalp and hair.) In the summer or warmer weather, I add JBCO only once a day at night. This has worked well for me, especially my edges.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I apply JBCO that contains several drops of lavender EO and a couple of drops of peppermint EO directly to my scalp. I massage my scalp by moving the skin on my head back and forth and in circles. (I move my scalp as opposed to moving my fingers across my scalp and hair.) In the summer or warmer weather, I add JBCO only once a day at night. This has worked well for me, especially my edges.

is JBCO thicker than regular castor oil?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I apply various oils and/or coffee based products then scalp massage.

Oils: keeps the scalp from getting dry & itchy.
Coffee: helped shedding.
Massage: increase blood flow.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I apply various oils and/or coffee based products then scalp massage.

Oils: keeps the scalp from getting dry & itchy.
Coffee: helped shedding.
Massage: increase blood flow.

There is a vendor (I think the name is HeartJCreations, I have a thread in the vendor forum about them) that makes a coffee butter blend that I have been thinking about trying. Where do you get your coffee based products from?

emada

My crown is my problem area since it tend to get dry, itchy, and flaky, especially in the winter. I've done a few things:

-Scalp massages- I use a shampoo brush to massage while I'm pre-pooing
-Oil- I use castor oil and safflower oil between shampoos to help moisturize and soothe. Also pre-poo specifically on my scalp.
-Other things- I've tried ACV and it seems to help if you get the proportions right. I also found a scalp treatment that was great during the summer and really refreshed my scalp:

Scalp treatment
-Begin by giving yourself a thorough head massage to increase circulation and loosen any flakes
-Mix together the following and apply to scalp:
2 tbsp lemon juice- helps with exfoliation of the scalp
2 tbsp EVOO- helps to moisturize the scalp
2 tbsp water- reduces the acidity of the lemon juice
-Let sit and wash and condition as usual.

HTH

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Nothing, but i like to let it do it's thing.

If its not broke don't fix it.. right?

I felt the same way for a long time! But then I started thinking about how much effort and time I put into having healthy hair while completely ignoring my scalp (other than frequent cleansing). I want my hair at optimal health and it struck me how I don't take the time to make sure that my scalp is at optimal health, too. It's like having really healthy hair and only putting the most natural, organic products on it, but eating frankenfood errday lol.

faithVA

If you know my history, you know I have had severe scalp issues resulting in hair loss and a painful burning sensation in my crown area. So I have been caring for my scalp better in the past 3 years with noticeable improvement. I am still in recovery mode so I still do quite a bit to my scalp.

I do some type of water rinse or cleansing twice a week to make sure I get a full dose of water on my scalp to ward of dehydration.

I use a scalp treatment before each cleansing.

I oil my crown on wash day and several times a week with an additional scalp treatment.

And every now and then I do an overnight treatment before wash day.

I need to add scalp massages but I continue to talk myself out of it. But I will do better.