Lets Talk about Crochet Braids.....

lovechemise

Nurse Ratchet: saving lives & growing hair
I am absolutely intrigued by this thread! As soon as my sides grow in (I have a pixie mohawk at the moment), I think I'm going to transition again using crochet braids. I was going to big chop this time, but I would have to cut it close like a caesar and I'm not feeling that. I also don't want to go through the visible "in-between" stage. Crochet Braids seem like an easy alternative for a transitioner. I have a few questions: 1. Why do some people's knots show and others don't? 2. Is there any hair that I should avoid (besides straight hair..I know that won't knot well)? 3. Seems like Freetress is the go-to brand. Between Bohemian, Water Wave, and Go-go curl, which hair is easier to manage? 4. Anyone have a crocheter in Maryland? I live in Balto but I'm willing to drive as far as DC. I saw www.crochetbraidsbytwana.com. She seems nice, but I don't want to drive to Fredericksburg. @LaChaBla...you're hair looks awesome! Do you still live in NoVA? Who does your hair? PM me if you don't want to post in the thread. Thanks. TIA!

There's a girl at Wheaton mall in silver spring that does good natural hairstyles. If you're on Instagram her name is dmvnaturalista.

LivingDoll

There's a girl at Wheaton mall in silver spring that does good natural hairstyles. If you're on Instagram her name is dmvnaturalista.

@lovechemise

Okay, I know where Wheaton Mall is. I'll look her up. Thanks!

ETA: I found her page on Styleseat. She charges $150. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm surprised at how many people charge over $100 for this considering it only lasts about a month.

Last edited:

xu93texas

@lovechemise Okay, I know where Wheaton Mall is. I'll look her up. Thanks! ETA: I found her page on Styleseat. She charges $150. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm surprised at how many people charge over $100 for this considering it only lasts about a month.

I'm excited about crochet braids as well. I have an appointment on the 8th for my first install. She charges $150 as well, however she says the style can last up to 8 weeks.

xu93texas

I think I'm going to try the water wave. That is really pretty!
How long is your pixie? I'm growing out a pixie as well. I sent her pics just to make sure my hair was long enough to braid. She said she can braid the front/crown. The hair will be long enough to cover the sides and back.

OhTall1

LivingDoll, thanks for the compliment!

I used to go to Twana and loved her, but had to find someone else when she moved from Manassas to Fredericksburg. Right now, I go to a woman that has an ad on Craigslist. She's in the Dale City/Woodbridge area and works at home: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bts/4361462367.html

For hair, I've also used Outre Batik Loose Deep (left) and Freetress Deep Twist (right). I liked the way they looked, but both types of hair only lasted 4 weeks for me, where Water Wave can last 6+ weeks.

loose deep and deep wave.png

This was my inspiration pic for my last set. I think I was too conservative with the color, so the next time, I'm definitely going to go with bolder highlights.

summer hair 4 with 27 highlights.JPG

LivingDoll

LaChaBla...

Is the last pic of crochet braids? If so, those knots are undetectable!

Do you think Patricia is as good as Twana? I really really love Twana's work.

Glad I decided on Water Wave. Where do you find it cheapest?

Sorry for all the questions. TIA!

OhTall1

@LaChaBla...

Is the last pic of crochet braids? If so, those knots are undetectable!

Do you think Patricia is as good as Twana? I really really love Twana's work.

Glad I decided on Water Wave. Where do you find it cheapest?

Sorry for all the questions. TIA!

Yep, that last pic is crochet braids. I did a screen cap from a YouTube video, but I don't know her name. I think she said she used GoGo curl.

Both Patricia and Twana are good, but Patricia is a braider, and Twana seems like she was more into overall hair health. Even though Twana is farther than I personally want to travel, I still recommend her to people.

I used to buy my hair online but recently I started going to Beauty 4 U. The prices for Freetress are the same as what I've seen online, but I don't have to pay the shipping. The stores seem to have a big selection.

Gr8ness83

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=murWwXwpams

My SO wants me to take out my single braids like...now but I compromised and agreed on his birthday in May but I was going to rebraid my hair in te single braids again. He wasn't happy to hear that but I think this may be a happy medium for both of us...
The technique that this lady did is magnificicent and I think that he will be satified, or at the very least tolerate me wearing my hair braided up if it looked like this and he is able to st least touch SOME of my hair.

LivingDoll

Yep, that last pic is crochet braids. I did a screen cap from a YouTube video, but I don't know her name. I think she said she used GoGo curl.

Both Patricia and Twana are good, but Patricia is a braider, and Twana seems like she was more into overall hair health. Even though Twana is farther than I personally want to travel, I still recommend her to people.

I used to buy my hair online but recently I started going to Beauty 4 U. The prices for Freetress are the same as what I've seen online, but I don't have to pay the shipping. The stores seem to have a big selection.

Thanks. I wonder how far Fredericksburg is from Baltimore. I looked it up and it said 1hr, 45 mins. That's not that bad...I might make the trek. I like that her clients don't look like the Lion King when she's finished. She adds the perfect amount of hair to everyone's styles.

We have Beauty4U's here, so I'll check them out.

I appreciate your help.

@xu93texas, your pixie is cute too! I was posting from my phone last night so I couldn't see your profile pic. Very nice! :yep:

Last edited:

Babygrowth

LivingDoll theres a lady I used to go to that lives in Edgewood or Havre De Grace Can't remember but I can look her up and send you her number. Shes good and cheap I just wanted to try and do it myself. She does them in her home tho.

LivingDoll

@LivingDoll theres a lady I used to go to that lives in Edgewood or Havre De Grace Can't remember but I can look her up and send you her number. Shes good and cheap I just wanted to try and do it myself. She does them in her home tho.

@Babygrowth. Okay. Thanks! I don't mind going to someone's home. Do you have any pics of her work? If you don't want to post, can you PM me?

xu93texas

Finally got them installed. I really like it. I didn't think I would like big hair, but I like it.

Sorry if the pic is too big...

image-1578692032.jpg

OhTall1

Has anyone used the new Freetress braid hair, natural twist? I just started seeing it in stores in the spring, but I've only seen 1 YouTube video and 1 pic on Pinterest where people have used it.

Pic from package

Pic from Pinterest

sgold04

This is my first time with crochet braids, and I'm enjoying them so far. The crocheted hair is in Havana twists, and the front of my hair is twisted in individual twists. Everyone thinks it's my hair, which I wasn't going for, but hey, I will take it. The girl who did my hair said that I won't be able to use the finger comber Havana hair in the front as individuals after this install because my own hair goes right to the end of the twists. I'd like to use this hair again, so next time I will have her cornrow all my hair and see how it looks, I was initially afraid it would be too bulky in the front since the twists are thick, so we'll see.

I've had them in for about 3 weeks now and I washed them for the first time today. I've been working out and my scalp was screaming for a cleaning, even though I've been using witch hazel or sea breeze on my scalp after workouts. I've been moisturizing daily with either water + kckt, and sealing with a Shea moisture oil, or using this other spray moisturizer I have that I was suckered into buying. I diluted shampoo with water and used a color applicator bottle with a stocking cap to cover the front/top of my head since the front is in individuals. I'd like these to last at least 6 weeks, no more than 8, but the cornrows are really fuzzy, and I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. If my hair looks healthy after take down, this will be my go-to long term PS.

Attachments

• image-1727893772.jpg
    image-1727893772.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 236
  • image-2548011994.jpg
    image-2548011994.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 214

SunRai Naturals

sgold04 Very Pretty! I think as the cornrows get older it looks even more natural. I wish that I could use the Havana hair because I love that fluffy soft look but they dont make it in a color that matches my hair.

My update: Im looking forward to my next install at the end of August. Last time I did the loose Marley hair braid out crochet. This time I will be doing small twists crochet.

gorgeoushair

I love crochet braids. I got some in May and just took them out yesterday. I used Marley hair and people who didn't know me, thought it was my hair.