Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

AJellyCake

Question:

What do you think is the better type of roller for setting hair with thick strands: regular plastic rollers with a few holes or mesh rollers?

brownb83

Have any of you ladies tried nariobi hair products?

I bought the leave in conditioner and im under the dryer now..

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Blairx0 last time I used the white hourglass with the gray magnetics. It was my first set (which I thought came out horribly, but you ladies said otherwise), and I felt I could get my hair to grip the white ones better. I now have the hang of the gray magnetics. I only used the purple ones for the extra small pieces that were left over. When I put the caps on, they were a little loose. IDK, maybe because they are the cheap Annie BSS brand.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
First couple are without separating. You can see the little indents from the hourglass rollers. They go away.

After that, I separated the curls a bit. Hopefully it holds up in the morning. I think this is my best set yet.

ForumRunner_20140223_204511.jpg

ForumRunner_20140223_204525.jpg

ForumRunner_20140223_204536.jpg

ForumRunner_20140223_204550.jpg

ForumRunner_20140223_204602.jpg

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Lilmama1011

First couple are without separating. You can see the little indents from the hourglass rollers. They go away.

After that, I separated the curls a bit. Hopefully it holds up in the morning. I think this is my best set yet.

I love the flower

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Naptural85 put up a YouTube video on doing a perm rod set. Can't wait to watch.

I just watched it and LOVED it. Reminds me of what I just did when I did my flexi rod set. I have to agree with a few things she said in the video:
No frizz
Half drying time
Setting is easier since the hair is already stretched

Her results were beautiful!!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.

So beautiful!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
First couple are without separating. You can see the little indents from the hourglass rollers. They go away. After that, I separated the curls a bit. Hopefully it holds up in the morning. I think this is my best set yet. Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Getting better girl! Keep it up. This one definitely look :lick:

GettingKinky

So cute FroReal. And I love the flower.

I've been thinking about mesh rollers,but I've been worried it won't get smooth enough. How long did it take for the crinkles to go away?

prettybyrd

Have any of you ladies tried nariobi hair products?

I bought the leave in conditioner and im under the dryer now..

I got my hair set last weekend and the stylist used Nairobi setting lotion (I think that she also used their shampoo and conditioner). My curls lasted a full week. This was the first time that I was able to maintain a roller set with just pin curling since I've been natural. My hair was bouncy, soft, and had a shine but didn't feel greasy. Had I not used a gel on my edges that flaked I feel confident that I could have gotten a second week from the set.

Yesterday I tried another salon because I was too lazy to wash and set my own hair and the first stylist I used was booked. I mistakenly assumed that all roller sets are created equal and wasted $25. The stylist from yesterday, while professional and kind, used Design Essentials products that left my hair hard, and there is no trace of those curls today. My nape is nappier than when I went to the salon, and that light, bouncy, soft hair I had this time last week is nothing more than a memory.

When I finally start doing my own sets, I will be purchasing this setting lotion. Update us on how you like the leave in conditioner, I'm curious about other products in the line.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Thanks ladies! This morning my curls have fallen, but I still wore it out to work. I will put it in a bun for the rest of the week.

So cute FroReal. And I love the flower.

I've been thinking about mesh rollers,but I've been worried it won't get smooth enough. How long did it take for the crinkles to go away?

Thanks! GettingKinky the crinkles only took a few minutes to go away. If you can see in the last picture with the flower, there are no crinkles. I did find that the hair on the hourglass rollers was more elongated, while the magnetics got my hair was more bouncy/smooth. They all performed well though.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
brownb83 I have the Nairobi Creme Press and used it for this set. I have also used it for the flat iron you see in my siggy. I really like it.

GettingKinky

Thanks ladies! This morning my curls have fallen, but I still wore it out to work. I will put it in a bun for the rest of the week.

Thanks! GettingKinky the crinkles only took a few minutes to go away. If you can see in the last picture with the flower, there are no crinkles. I did find that the hair on the hourglass rollers was more elongated, while the magnetics got my hair was more bouncy/smooth. They all performed well though.

I guess I should save my $$ and not buy mesh rollers since I really like smooth and bouncy.

toaster

I'll be curious to see if my sets appear to be different when I use the mesh rollers. I only ordered two packs of the blue rollers because I didn't want to commit to them and not have them work. They shipped last night (this morning?) but there was no tracking number so I have no idea when they will arrive. I'm assuming this is because I ordered off of Amazon, but other retailers provide the shipping information on Amazon, so I don't know.

Tonight I'll set with the yellow magnetic rollers, but I don't think I'll use the snaps. If I only use the rollers and the double prong clips I think I'll be able to anchor the rollers to one another as well as to my scalp.

GettingKinky

I can't decide if I should do my next set in a Mohawk pattern or using quadrants. Which way do you all prefer? And why?