Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

MayaNatural

I don't use a scarf, but I do set weekly with no issues

Thank you!! I really like how nice my bun looks today after roller setting. I want to roller set weekly and bun during the week. I guess time will tell if my hair can't handle it.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Yeah I tried once a week setting and it was too much manipulation for my hair. I settled into a routine of every 2 weeks. I can make my sets last 2 weeks if I want...sometimes I do but I'd rather wash weekly. On the off week that I don't set, I still cleanse, deep condition with steam and put my hair in 2 braids to rest that week. I'll throw on a beanie or a half wig over the 2 braids when I need to leave the house. It's all about finding a happy medium for your hair.

Edited to add: Also the 2 braids on my off week make a nice big juicy bun if I want to take them down and wear my hair :)

Last edited:

MayaNatural

lulu97
Every two weeks might work better for me too if I have to sit under the dryer. I might try air drying on a day that I have off and see how that goes.

BTW: Your bun is giving me life!! :yep:

Blairx0

Your bun is great!! Air drying sounds great, but it took my hair three days to dry during the summer. Air drying is not an opition.

I would like another opition in lieu of setting, but i will think about after o purchase my hour glass rollers...lol. I am all about buying these rollers

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
^^^^ Yes, I HATE airdrying too! Just like you, it takes tooooo long for my hair to dry. Sometimes after braiding, I will sit under my hooded dryer for 20-30 minutes to speed up the process.

MayaNatural

Blairx0
Oh noooo 3 days... That's the reason I no longer do BKO on wet hair. If you find a alternative please me know. I tried banding but it still took a long time to dry.

Blairx0

Blairx0
Oh noooo 3 days... That's the reason I no longer do BKO on wet hair. If you find a alternative please me know. I tried banding but it still took a long time to dry.

I tried banding, twist, braids, buns and nothing came close to dry within 48 hours without some heat. I have lo po, dense hair so it is a struggle, but at least once I get the moisture in it stays in.

toaster

Yep! The smaller rollers are awesome. My only con is how long they take to dry. I have to roll my hair a bunch of times on the roller.

Blairx0

MayaNatural

There wasn't any products! I know at the time I was exclusively DC with yogurt and oils. No serum, no holding products, no gel. Just leave in Darcy's daily or Giovanni direct leave in. I think the DC with heat made my hair smooth. I was strictly about tension and natural products then

toaster

I want to try Curls Gel-les'c. It's supposed to be in between a gel and a serum. I think it would be nice to use over the It's a 10 leave in for my sets.

The only thing is that I moisturize and seal my hair every night, so I don't want to have too much product on my hair when I set. I guess I'll just use a tiny tiny bit. Back to Target tomorrow.

ETA: I might just purchase the It's a 10 Serum and finish out my collection. I just mailed 3 products to my mom to decrease my stash and I'm already trying to replace them. :nono:

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Wow I haven't posted in here in a while. I did a curl former set and thought I was going to sit under the dryer but yeah that lasted like 25 minutes. Im trying to air dry b4 bed so we shall see bc I don't want to sleep in these things! Pics to come in the morning.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
So here's my set. I really never know how to style my hair when doing a curlformer set. The last pic is the styled pic.

image-509486056.jpg

image-918214829.jpg

image-760899901.jpg

image-3072347818.jpg

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

MayaNatural

Blairx0 I want to try a Naptural85 yogurt DC soon. Your sets turned out fabulous. Thanks for sharing. :)

toaster My local Walgreens had some it's a 10 products on clearance along with some other product lines that I never tried before. I didn't buy anything because I never heard reviews on them.. I'm going back today *cross fingers* they are still there. Are you natural? Thanks :)

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I like smaller rollers too, and my drying time was not affected, but my only issue was volume. Im not a volume junkie, so once my hair passed my bra strap, the volume became harder to handle and takes a while to drop. Since my styling is very limited, I don't need the volume. That might change in the hotter months though.

AJellyCake

Thank you all for your tips!!! I'll probably try again. I need to give myself a full day though for the whoooooole wash, condition, detangle, roll, dry process. Not looking forward to it. But I'll keep using my Curlformers for now.

Make sure you aren't making your sections too big. Make sure you start pulling it taut as soon as you start rolling it. And not sure how to say this but make sure the hair is completely horizontal or vertical (depending on whether you are on the sides or top) so the roller rolls as close as possible to the scalp. (Does anyone know how to say it bettr than I did?) :lol:

You are still going to have some wave but that should help reduce it. My roots are usually straighter than the rest of my hair :ohwell:

faithVA I'll try to figure out the angles of the roller. I think I understand what you mean. And I think that first section I grabbed was ginormous *blush*. That probably didn't help.

I just did a blog post on some of my trail and errors doing natural roller sets.

Pre part you hair. Try to estimate how many rollers you are going to use per section. This will allow you to make sections that aren't too large which will produce poofy results.

Don't use too much product. a little goes a long way.

Use that comb! I hate combing my hair, but for smooth sets it is needed

Blairx0 Wow! Your blog looks like I could have written it. I do have hair that loves to tangle, and sometimes my Curlformer sets leave my ends looking like I'm starting to loc. I'll try your tips--especially about combing my hair.

AJellyCake

My answer would be to adjust your expectations for the first few sets while you figure out what works. As you continue to roll you'll get more familiar with your hair and will be able to figure out how to get your hair as straight as possible with rollers and no direct heat. There's a reason that even the ladies at the Dominican salons blow out the roots after they set. It's not possible for every natural head to get completely straight roots with just a set. It depends on your strands. Also try bantu knots after you set to further stretch the roots.

I'm saying that as a natural with fairly dense hair and thick strands. I currently have a large bun on top of my head with noticeable poof in my roots. It's not going to look like someone's bun that has type 1 hair, and I'm okay with that.

toaster True that! I think you made excellent points--especially about adjusting my expectations since I'm new to roller setting. I've been watching a lot of bantu knot videos recently, and I might have to give that a go as well. Thanks!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
MayaNatural Girl run back and get that It's a 10 leave in conditioner! It's by far my favorite hair care product EVER! I can't speak for the other products in the line but toaster always gives them good reviews.

In other news...

*Rubs hands together* Going to do a pre shampoo treatment with coconut oil tonight and then roller set tomorrow. In my Terminator voice "I'll be back"!

toaster

Okay ladies: How are you all using serums to set your hair? I went out and purchased a serum and I'm going to use it tonight when I roll.

Babygrowth

Hi ladies! I've missed this thread soo much. I'm in awe at the growth I'm seeing in techniques and hair. I will be back in April after I texlax. I'm going back to its a 10 leave in, and I'm going to buy the keracare foam, lottabody, and curls goddess curls. I can't wait to rejoin you ladies. In the meantime keep the sets coming!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Okay ladies: How are you all using serums to set your hair? I went out and purchased a serum and I'm going to use it tonight when I roll.

I re-wet my hair and apply my serum to my hair when it's still dripping a bit. I try to comb it through, but I know I've used enough when detangling is a breeze. If it takes too much, I haven't used enough.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

GettingKinky

I just put the serum directly on my wet hair and it's the only product I use besides LottaBody. I think I need to start using a bit more serum so I get more slip for detangling, but I'm afraid of using too much and my hair looking greasy.