A New Henna Thread

Pompous Blue

Well not really in my area, they are like 30 minutes away and all the reviews for those stores say they are rude and sell expired items lol. I read through most of this thread and placed a order with Ayurnatural Beauty online. Thanks for the tip though, the one black bss in my area only sells Colora or something like that and after researching that brand via this board I passed on it.
sheedatj
I love Ayurnatural Beauty. I stocked up during her 20% off Mother's Day sale. I've purchased Jamila henna, amla, bhrami, bhringraj and other powders from her.

Here's a thread from the Vendor's Forum.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=385862&highlight=ayurnatural+beauty

I've purchased from hennasooq.com and never had any problems with products or customer service. She is another good vendor to order ayurvedic products from.

Natty_Virgo

Nice, thank you all for the info on good vendors. I know I emailed Ayurnatural about my order and they emailed back super fast. I ordered Thurs and hope that it ships Monday or something. Thanks for the link Pompous Blue! :)

I will keep hennasooq in mind, I was under the impression that Ayurnatural Beauty was a member on here so I was trying to support.

ManiiSweetheart

Sooo Ladies I did it.. i made some henna gloss...and let it dry. I did this twice. Once with air drying and once with a hooded dryer. and i can say.......it rinsed out VERY nicely. I used Jamila henna with aussie moist, 3/4 cups of green tea with 4 baggies, and olive oil. and i think i cut my rinsing time in half ..even for a henna gloss.... My next experiment will be with a full henna treatment...after i get more henna since i have a super big head

IronButterfly

Just did my first two step henna/indigo and love the results, but what a work out. And the mess!! Indigo just flies all over the place. I'm gonna stick with mixing the two together for a one step henndigo. The two step darkened my grays more, but 8 hours is just too long for me to have to deal with my hair.

Shadiyah

my henna day is coming up and as much as I love my curl I really don't mind that it is making my hair straight. I heard someone say they were only going to henna their new growth because they didn't want their curl changed anymore than it is now. it would be nice if the henna would changed the back of my hair more. lol

Shadiyah

it was henna time for me last night. I applied the nupur henna that I use all the time, I love this henna because it gives me all the other herbs that I was using on it's own all in one now and my color is so deep. I rinse my henna with tresemme naturals always. once I do a henna treatment I treat my hair to oils and shea butter mixture for about a week before I use a styling product.

baddison

natural for good
Shadiyah said:
it was henna time for me last night. I applied the nupur henna that I use all the time, I love this henna because it gives me all the other herbs that I was using on it's own all in one now and my color is so deep. I rinse my henna with tresemme naturals always. once I do a henna treatment I treat my hair to oils and shea butter mixture for about a week before I use a styling product.

This is similar to my NUPUR henna treatment too. Isn't it great to get the benefit of the other Indian herbs....I love it. I also cowash out my henna with Traders Joes Nourish Spa Condish...mmmmmm. Then I dc with an exceptionally moisturizing conditioner with added oils.

Shadiyah

baddison I love the benefit.... I would have deep conditioned but I spent so much time in that shower making sure I got it all out and that my hair was nice and soft I think I really go t the benefit of a deep condition treatment. I know one thing I love how silky and shiny my hair looks right after a henna treatment.

HanaKuroi

I want to use gpb tonight. I also want to henna and steam tomorrow. Should I just henna and steam? I am afraid that the gpb will be too much.

AtlantaJJ

I did a Red Raj henna last week. It supposed to give a deep red color. My grays looks about the same as when I use my BAQ Jamila. We shall see how this works out color wise after my 3rd treatment. My grays are resistant.

HanaKuroi

AtlantaJJ said:
I did a Red Raj henna last week. It supposed to give a deep red color. My grays looks about the same as when I use my BAQ Jamila. We shall see how this works out color wise after my 3rd treatment. My grays are resistant.

If you like it I can give you a couple of boxes of mine. I did not like the color.

lamaria211

Hello ladies I want to try henna but I have a lot of questions please help.
First what is henna supposed to do for our hair?
Is it like a protein treatment?
How often should one henna?
And if on not looking for color change what should I mix in my henna?
Oh and can I henna and use protein in the same session or will that cause dryness? Tia

greenandchic

lamaria211
Here's my answers from my experience, but I'm sure others will chime in:

First what is henna supposed to do for our hair?
Henna acts as a protein without being a protein. It coats the hair filling in holes and helping reverse porosity. Its a strengthener and good for thin, porous hair. It really helps if your hair is prone to breakage It also adds shine and color.

For some people, it loosens the curl pattern. I've seen it happen more with people who have 3c, 3b hair, but its been done on 4a hair; not so much 4b. The problem is you wont know if it will happen to you until you do it. If you want to preserve your curls, I would stay away just in case.

Is it like a protein treatment?
Its like protein without being protein. For me, its not as potentially damaging as a heavy duty protein.

How often should one henna?
Some people do it once a month, some do it once every two weeks. Everyone's different. I do it about once a month these days out of laziness.

And if on not looking for color change what should I mix in my henna?
Depends on your natural color, but if your hair is black or dark brown, doing a henna/indigo treatment is what you would want to do. Its quite a process...

Oh and can I henna and use protein in the same session or will that cause dryness?

You really shouldn't; it will be like protein overload and your hair would be dry. The next step after rinsing out henna is going a heavy moisturizing DC, like of like doing a two step process when you use heavy protein.

IMO, your henna job isn't done until you do a protein free DC.

leiah

I think any curl loosening is temporary; your hair will be weighed down by the bulk of it, but that will go away in a few weeks when it's time to henna again.

The color change will be pretty subtle if your hair is dark, you'll only see a hint of red in the sunlight.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
This is right on time. just henna'd yesterday. I'm a 4b if not what some think the non-existant c. Naturally, my hair is like a cotton ball with no real curl definition.

I confirmed it yesterday--henna IS loosening my coil pattern. I think I've even figured out how to do it on purpose. I think I'm now more like a 4a in that there's an actual wave pattern in some areas. This is permanent--it does not go away at least it hasnt on me and I noticed the change about 2 months ago. I've been using henna about 3 months.

So be ware, it can loosen your pattern but you won't end up like a Type 2 or 1...

ETA: Unless your hair is auburn, sandy brown or blond, you won't really notice any color change. My hair was dark brown. A little burgundy is visible in intense light. My greys are copper.

Cassia supposedly gives the same benefit as henna without color release. There's also henna gloss.

Last edited:

Shadiyah

you know it really burns me up with people make videos and do not have the correct information. Why would you not first investigate about a topic before you talk about it? she wanted to change the color in her hair and people talk so much about henna so she went to the bss and brought the black henna and she put it in her hair and it turned her hair green. OK first off it was not henna and how you going to use something before you find out what it is. and she never using it again. so now I am thinking a lot of people who talk bad about henna was not even using real henna.

greenandchic

you know it really burns me up with people make videos and do not have the correct information. Why would you not first investigate about a topic before you talk about it? she wanted to change the color in her hair and people talk so much about henna so she went to the bss and brought the black henna and she put it in her hair and it turned her hair green. OK first off it was not henna and how you going to use something before you find out what it is. and she never using it again. so now I am thinking a lot of people who talk bad about henna was not even using real henna.

Who was this?

HanaKuroi

Shadiyah said:

This happens all of the time. Even after they are warned to order it from a reputable site. They say they are impatient and pick some up at the bss anyway. Then they get green hair and talk about how henna is terrible.

JazziLady!

Lucky's Mom said:
I use Lavendar's Henna Gloss Recipe -
slightly modified.

100 g henna
20 g alma
1/3 c Lustrasilk
1/3 c homemade condish
coconut & olive oils...

Amazingly soft wonderfully conditioned hair. this was 1000 times better than the 1st time I henna'd..

Sounds great! Where can I purchase amla? Is it a powder or oil?

ecadnacmc

I am Hennaing my hair right now with Reshma henna. I mixed ~50 gms with a tsp of brahmi, 1 tsp aritha, 1 tsp shikaki, 1 teaspoon feenugreek, 1 tsp amla, 1 tsp neem oil, 1tbs coconut milk powder, ~2tbsp coconut oil, ~2oz of tressame naturals conditioner, a splash or 2 of AVJ and a tea of horsetail, nettles, earl grey, thyme, rosemary and sage. Hopefully it's not overkill :nono: Love the Reshma alone with my tea mix but heard how great Napur was and can't find any locally in my Indian grocery stores so I decided to make my own. Plan on sleeping in it overnight then applying a DC, leaving it in and bunning it to work and rising out DC when I get home. Skipping indigo this time because its only been 2 weeks since my last henna and I think indigo is too drying to do more than 1x's/month.