Monistat 7 for fast hair growth!!

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
Yeah Koffie, I knew that you were joking, I was laughing at the Summer's Eve joke myself. For the record, I wasn't offended by posts in this thread. We are here to hash these things out amongst one another, and it is healthy for us to talk about the good and the bad of any of the things we may try in this quest for hair. And humor is always appreciated!

Wow, this is really interesting. Jewell Zinic oxide is a good natural deoderant though. Seriously just buy a tube of diaper rash cream and rub it in the effect willlast for days after several initial applications.
Back to the Monostat, hmm can you use this with the sulfur based MTG? Or would the two combined be a negative thing?

California, and All Ladies of this Board,
There are plenty of us here who appreciate your insight. I am here to learn how to take care of my hair and what works for others and what doesn't. I know a little about pharmacology and understand that Docs suggest off label uses for all kinds of meds. I think its just the packaging that scares people since it reads use in the HaHa then people tend to think that's all they can use it for. Packaging and name brands are there to entice us to buy their product. And, the packaging while it helps us know what to use the product for, fail to tell us other uses for the same product. Hence, we will buy to or three items sold under different name brands but have the same active ingredients. So we help them (the manufacturer) get richer. I have a persistant fungus rash on my thigh (too much info I know) that I use a prescribbed anti fungal cream to treat. I didn't think about Monostat until this thread- and guess what? It has the same active ingredient! The money I could have saved! I could just buy an inexpensive over the counter HaHa cream to do the same thing.

As for hair loss, excess DHT can cause hair loss in men and in some women- as luck would have it I happen to be one of them. So, should I return to the Doc and let him prescribe me clotrinazole (or the like) or just buy the Monostat and save big money?

I have really enjoyed exchanging information with everyone, and look forward each evening to laughing and learning with each of you.

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
I went to Rite-Aid last night and was laughing and shaking my head at the same time. You are right, Ravensunshine, Miconazole was on 3 or 4 different aisles, with different packaging for different uses. It was in Monistat on the feminine products aisle, it was in some jock itch stuff somewhere else, it was in the firstaid aisle for ringworm. All different packaging all same stuff. Interestingly enough, why should one spend $15.99 on Monistat, when on the first aid aisle there is straight 2% miconazole nitrate cream--but says "cures athletes foot"?

Also, I take a multitude of vitamins and other supplements, none of which is FDA-approved for certain usage. The FDA is not the say-all-end-all for the efficacy of drugs, they approved Vioxx and look what's happening now. Anyway, I am not a doctor or a pharmacist. I'm just a crazy lady with internet access! I wanted to see if there was any "science" behind these claims and it led ME---please read ME, ME, ME, and only ME--to this conclusion: some members of the imadizole family of drugs treat various anti-fungal infections and are also anti-androgenetic--->>anti-androgen products block DHT in the hair follicle, where male and female pattern baldness starts--->>miconazole, clotrimazole, and ketoconozole increase the diameter of the hair shaft thus increasing the diameter of the hair strand--->>since I already have active scalp flora for which I am using Nizoral, I don't see miconazole or clotrimazole cream hurting me.

Everything I have found out is not my own imagination, and I am not even the one who started the thread. Anyone can go to www.pubmed.com, type any of these ingredients in the search field, and FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. The same studies that led me to the same conclusion. It may not lead YOU there, and that is okay, and I won't call anyone (or even silently think to myself) a "desperate-Black-woman-trying-to-grow-hair" for the MULTITUDES of other products that people jump on (but that's another thread that we may be waiting on). Go to any forum discussing hair loss and the same information is right there. I have been a member here for what, 2 years...Lord knows I don't say much and there is a reason for that. I advocate one thing, and one thing only, that is KNOW FOR YOURSELF.

ETA: It's bananas! I was thinking, can we move away from calling this "Monistat for the hair"? Because really, although the OP was talking about Monistat, we have since found that the active ingredient of miconazole nitrate, which is just an anti-fungal agent, is in a bunch of other products too. So maybe we need to talk about if ANTI-FUNGALS aid in hair growth (like...um...MTG) and see if maybe we are on to something. What do you all think?

ravensunshine said:
I know a little about pharmacology and understand that Docs suggest off label uses for all kinds of meds. I think its just the packaging that scares people since it reads use in the HaHa then people tend to think that's all they can use it for. Packaging and name brands are there to entice us to buy their product. And, the packaging while it helps us know what to use the product for, fail to tell us other uses for the same product. Hence, we will buy to or three items sold under different name brands but have the same active ingredients. So we help them (the manufacturer) get richer.

Last edited:

Koffie

SpicedTee said:
I went to Rite-Aid last night and was laughing and shaking my head at the same time. You are right, Ravensunshine, Miconazole was on 3 or 4 different aisles, with different packaging for different uses. It was in Monistat on the feminine products aisle, it was in some jock itch stuff somewhere else, it was in the firstaid aisle for ringworm. All different packaging all same stuff. Interestingly enough, why should one spend $15.99 on Monistat, when on the first aid aisle there is straight 2% miconazole nitrate cream--but says "cures athletes foot"?

Also, I take a multitude of vitamins and other supplements, none of which is FDA-approved for certain usage. The FDA is not the say-all-end-all for the efficacy of drugs, they approved Vioxx and look what's happening now.
Anyway, I am not a doctor or a pharmacist. I'm just a crazy lady with internet access! I wanted to see if there was any "science" behind these claims and it led ME---please read ME, ME, ME, and only ME--to this conclusion: some members of the imadizole family of drugs treat various anti-fungal infections and are also anti-androgenetic--->>anti-androgen products block DHT in the hair follicle, where male and female pattern baldness starts--->>miconazole, clotrimazole, and ketoconozole increase the diameter of the hair shaft thus increasing the diameter of the hair strand--->>since I already have active scalp flora for which I am using Nizoral, I don't see miconazole or clotrimazole cream hurting me.

Everything I have found out is not my own imagination, and I am not even the one who started the thread. Anyone can go to www.pubmed.com, type any of these ingredients in the search field, and FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. The same studies that led me to the same conclusion. It may not lead YOU there, and that is okay, and I won't call anyone (or even silently think to myself) a "desperate-Black-woman-trying-to-grow-hair" for the MULTITUDES of other products that people jump on (but that's another thread that we may be waiting on). Go to any forum discussing hair loss and the same information is right there. I have been a member here for what, 2 years...Lord knows I don't say much and there is a reason for that. I advocate one thing, and one thing only, that is KNOW FOR YOURSELF.

ETA: It's bananas! I was thinking, can we move away from calling this "Monistat for the hair"? Because really, although the OP was talking about Monistat, we have since found that the active ingredient of miconazole nitrate, which is just an anti-fungal agent, is in a bunch of other products too. So maybe we need to talk about if ANTI-FUNGALS aid in hair growth (like...um...MTG) and see if maybe we are on to something. What do you all think?

PREACH, PREACH, AND PREACH!!!!! :clap:

lisajames96

Thanks for the link Spiced Tee!
yeah, I think it was the whole Monistat moniker(sp?) on the title that had me going whaaa?...but I checked for myself when I got home and our doc had perscribed the same ingredient for my daughters head, and said it was okay if I only washed it every 2-3 days if I couldn't wash everyday. She is almost 3. I know I have product built up on my head for longer than that.
:cool:

Koffie

SpicedTee said:

ITA,
Maybe we could mix this stuff up with some petroleum jelly, add Blue1 and Green6 for the color, mix it with a little frangrance, and we've got something like:LHCF Super Grow. :scratchch

ETA: I betta get some royalties if in the event that this goes down. :look::sekret:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Thanks Spiced Tee for sharing your research. I appreciate learning something new. I always do my own research as well before I decide if I want try something on my already sensitive skin and scalp. I'm interested to hear feedback from those of you who try it.

angellazette

Cincysweetie said:
Coconut oil is GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!! Blosssssssssssom you HAVE to buy something! Welfare should cover the cost of coconut oil with all it's benefits both internal and external.

Yes it is!!

junipertree

I had to post in here because as silly as it sounds (using monistat on your scalp)...it's not too far fetched to me. It reminded me of the time my dermatologist perscribed Metronidazole for a slight case of rosacea on my face. Being the nerd that I am I researched this drug...guess what it's used for? Bacterial Vaginosis!!! OKKKAAYYY??
So, I am not saying I would try the Monistat hair regime but don't get caught up in the manufacturers marketed use.There are multiple uses for various drugs, Miconazole nitrate is no different. ;)

tweezer6

If someone has mentioned this already, I apologize. But I remember a lady on Oprah, who was getting all types of compliments on her complexion, saying that she used vaginal cream on her face???

tweezer6

[/QUOTE]So maybe we need to talk about if ANTI-FUNGALS aid in hair growth (like...um...MTG) and see if maybe we are on to something. What do you all think?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing this info SpicedTee! I think I'm gonna look into this ANTI-Fungal thing some more... That's what I love most about this board. People who learn and share.

ClassicChic

tweezer6 said:
If someone has mentioned this already, I apologize. But I remember a lady on Oprah, who was getting all types of compliments on her complexion, saying that she used vaginal cream on her face???

Interesting................this my run Noxema and Oxy10 right outta business.

DragonPearl

tweezer6 said:

And many models, celebrities and makeup artist have been using Preparation H for years to shrink up puffy eyes or bags under the eyes. :look:

vaqtea

Jessy55 said:
And many models, celebrities and makeup artist have been using Preparation H for years to shrink up puffy eyes or bags under the eyes. :look:

My gay co-workers swear by it!

daoriginaldiva

Also for the person who said that they saw someone on Oprah using Monistat for their face because of skin problems, if you look in the new Vibe Vixen magazine, there is a woman whose mother and her swears by using this form of cream to remove lines and wrinkles and have a smoother complexion overall. It seems like a homemade remedy. I really don't think there is any harm in using Monistat on your scalp, face or anywhere else because it is a fungus cream and is used to treat irritated skin. I am really tempted to try this but I am pregnant and is a little iffy on doing that.
Although I think it may be alright considering that is the only fungus cream pregnant woman are allowed to use when they have a yeast infection.

nita4

I saw that show. The lady on Oprah worked for a dermatologist who told her to use a vaginal cream on her face because she was concerned about her extremely dry skin. He told her it was the best thing for dry skin. If you can put in on your face, I doubt that it would bother your scalp.

Janet'

pretty-girl#1 said:
QUESTION???? LIKE, WHO WAS THE GENIUS WHO DECIDED TO PUT THEIR YEAST INFECTION MEDICATION IN THEIR HAIR? LIKE WHAT WAS SHE THINKING :lachen: ? ?I'm not knocking it, but DAMN, What da hell will my boyfriend think if he knew where all this new growth was coming from? O.K. LADIES, SO WHAT'S NEXT PREPARATION H TO SEAL THE ENDS :lachen: ? I do want me some long hair, but I refuse to put "Noonie" medication on my hair! That just isn't right! I'd rather leave it there for someone who really needed it! :lol:

Actually, the urban legend is that this "fad" started in the prison system--girls/women started this in jail...
That's something to think about.....

miracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy55
And many models, celebrities and makeup artist have been using Preparation H for years to shrink up puffy eyes or bags under the eyes.

vaqtea said:
My gay co-workers swear by it!

I remember that from "Miss Congeniality." :lol: :lol: And, spraying hairspray on your bottom to keep your bathing suit from riding up.

carmend

There are people who think that even PAYING for membership on a site like this whose main purpose is to talk about hair 24/7 is extreme and uncalled for. So I think everyone should probably keep in mind that people come in VERY different flavors and try not to be so judgmental about others personal choices. B/c TRUST ME I have been called crazy several times by relatives and friends for even joining a site like this and for spending so much time on my hair. And Im sure many of you have too. :lachen:

Thank Yout to whoever started this thread in an attempt to provide information.

Koffie

Janet' said:
Actually, the urban legend is that this "fad" started in the prison system--girls/women started this in jail...
That's something to think about.....
I've just been informed that the Monistat was used in the "pen" for women wanting to smooth out their new growth, 'cause they can't get perms in jail.
Somebody whose been on lock told me this.

DragonPearl

carmend said:
There are people who think that even PAYING for membership on a site like this whose main purpose is to talk about hair 24/7 is extreme and uncalled for. So I think everyone should probably keep in mind that people come in VERY different flavors and try not to be so judgmental about others personal choices. B/c TRUST ME I have been called crazy several times by relatives and friends for even joining a site like this and for spending so much time on my hair. And Im sure many of you have too. :lachen:

Thank Yout to whoever started this thread in an attempt to provide information.
Girl, I don't tell nobody I know about that site. They'll think I am a nut head. :lol:

I don't wear plastic baggies on my head, because I am afraid if the bun cover should fall out while I am at work or school, how am I going to explain the baggy to a mostly Asian and Caucasian crowd, without making black women look stupid? :look:

beyondcute

Okay since the main ingredient is used in medicines for male pattern hair loss drugs then why not get some of those instead? They are meant for it and I think it would be safer... Just to make my case I want to use the chemical carbon for an example. In one form its a beautiful diamond; in another crude form its a lump of coal but its still carbon. Just because its the same chemical compound doesnt mean it the same thing. I encourage all who are having problems with hair loss to see a dermatologist first. If you have a fungal condition on your scalp they can prescribe you shampoo for it. Certain medications are meant for certain uses. I really hope you all take your health more seriously than hair and see a doctor (a real one that can actually give you a physical examination instead of an internet post). I wish you all the best!

An_Original_Copy

The idea of what's considered "desperate" is relative. There are some who say that applying chemicals that are capable of causing blindness if gets in the eye, or burns if gets on the skin to be desperate acts of self-hatred in order to have "straight hair". I'm gonna do me as far as my relaxers, and not knock others for choosing to do the monistat hair cream.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
An_Original_Copy said:
The idea of what's considered "desperate" is relative. There are some who say that applying chemicals that are capable of causing blindness if gets in the eye, or burns if gets on the skin to be desperate acts of self-hatred in order to have "straight hair". I'm gonna do me as far as my relaxers, and not knock others for choosing to do the monistat hair cream.

That's right, let's not knock others. To each its own. "I can talk about my mama but you can't talk about my mama!"

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
Good idea, talk to your doctor. The main ingredient is not used in medicines for male pattern baldness. Yet. But there are studies that show that the ingredients of which I speak of block DHT which contributes to hair loss in men and women. And I think that I have said that people should consult their physicans before trying anything.

beyondcute said:
Okay since the main ingredient is used in medicines for male pattern hair loss drugs then why not get some of those instead? They are meant for it and I think it would be safer... Just to make my case I want to use the chemical carbon for an example. In one form its a beautiful diamond; in another crude form its a lump of coal but its still carbon. Just because its the same chemical compound doesnt mean it the same thing. I encourage all who are having problems with hair loss to see a dermatologist first. If you have a fungal condition on your scalp they can prescribe you shampoo for it. Certain medications are meant for certain uses. I really hope you all take your health more seriously than hair and see a doctor (a real one that can actually give you a physical examination instead of an internet post). I wish you all the best!

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Jessy55 said:
Girl, I don't tell nobody I know about that site. They'll think I am a nut head. :lol:

I don't wear plastic baggies on my head, because I am afraid if the bun cover should fall out while I am at work or school, how am I going to explain the baggy to a mostly Asian and Caucasian crowd, without making black women look stupid? :look:

*picking up bun cover and see a baggy sandwich bag on head..."anybody want a sandwich?" lol!

BTW I'm on the 3 month baggie challenge