Hair for braids

atl_mulattamami

I am in my second, going on third, week of braids. I'm trying to get a month out of them. My problem is that they are already frizzy and my hair slips out of them. They don't look TERRIBLE but at this point I don't think they should look like this. I would use human hair but it's sooo expensive and I'm cheap. How does kanekalon hair hold up with braids? Does it last longer than regular synthetic hair?

Also, another reason they are frizzy is because they itch so I'm always washing my hair and scratching; the hair comes loose. So what is a way to get rid of the itchies and keep my scalp clean without washing it? I've heard that Seabreeze Astringent is good for removing sweat, dirt, and build up off the scalp.

nita4

Synthetic hair holds up better with braids in my opnion. The frequent washing will make your braids frizz. What I do is to take a bowl with some water and diluted shampoo and go in between my braids to clean my scalp. Then I would follow up with either witch hazel or sea breeze. The sea breeze can be drying so don't use often. My scalp don't like braid sprays or oils. I would do this for the first three to four weeks. After that I would shampoo every two weeks. My cornrows normally lasted about five to seven weeks. My braids would last 3 months. Human hair swells so you wouldn't be able to wash frequently anyway. The itching will stop after a while.

Phoenix

I don't like human hair for braids because it tends to get frizzy and it slips out. I like to wash my hair a lot, so human hair really won't work for me. I prefer to use kanekalon. Before I use it I remove the alkaline base by soaking it in warm water and vinegar (as Robin Woods suggests). This cuts down on the itching. To wash my hair I dilute shampoo, but it in a spray bottle, and spray it on my scalp.

nita4

I'm going to have to give that a try. I always thought the itch was from the pulling of the hair.

HoneyDew

I have small braids and I use human hair. I use indian remy. I wash 2 times a week with out a problem.

But, for bigger braids i would use kanekalon.