New plant-derived relaxer from Creme of Nature + Giveaway!

LaurenMechelle

Hi ladies!

I've been bursting at the seams to share this with you guys AND FINALLY I CAN!!!

Creme of Nature just released a new plant-derived relaxer called Straight from Eden - very exciting news for us relaxed girls! They flew me out to LA to try it out & shoot video for the campaign, and this relaxer is very, very cool. In addition to an all-natural base, they added avocado, olive, and coconut oils to completely nourish & moisturize your hair even while relaxing, which is probably my favorite part. After you add in the activating liquid & creme booster, the mixture acts like a normal relaxer, but without any of the chemicals found in other traditional relaxers, like lye, mineral oil, petrolatum, propylene glycol, sulfates, parabens, and formaldehyde.

I'm launching a giveaway of the product to give a few ladies a chance to try it on Friday, but wanted to give you guys a headstart - you all have been so supportive of me, and I just want to give back :yep::yep::yep:

To enter, just reply to this thread, and say a few things about your relaxed journey - how long you've been relaxed, why you're interested in trying a plant-derived relaxer, challenges you've had with other brands, that sort of thing!

The giveaway will run to the end of the month, and I'll choose one winner from this thread at random. On Friday, I'll be announcing it on my instagram and blog for a total of 3 winners, you guys can enter those as well for more chances to win!

I posted a trip recap + photos on my blog if you want to check it out!

Much love :kiss:

faithVA

What are the ingredients of the activating agent? What is causing the hair to straighten?

Sounds interesting

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
:congrats: LaurenMechelle
Congratulations! Are you going to be on the box and/or commercials? If so, that will be so exciting! I'll be able to say I e-know her :grin: Did those velcro rollers in your photos on the blog snag your hair? I've always been curious about whether the grip on the hair is damaging etc.

ETA:Not entering the giveaway!

Last edited:

trendsetta25

:congrats: @LaurenMechelle
Congratulations! Are you going to be on the box and/or commercials? If so, that will be so exciting! I'll be able to say I e-know her :grin: Did those velcro rollers in your photos on the blog snag your hair? I've always been curious about whether the grip on the hair is damaging etc.

i was thinking the same question about the rollers..all of the models look gorg and their hair :lick::lick:

Congrats and you looked like you had an amazing experience!!!

lux10023

awesome! Im just glad that they used the product on everyones hair and it was their own hair---you look great!

im also happy that companies are trying to correct and advance relaxersss!!!

ckisland

OP, your hair is stupid gorgeous :lick:. It's what I envisioned when I took the plunge to relax, but I needed up with more fro than flow :lachen:. But I'm keeping hope alive :grin:.

To enter, just reply to this thread, and say a few things about your relaxed journey - how long you've been relaxed, why you're interested in trying a plant-derived relaxer, challenges you've had with other brands, that sort of thing!

I've been relaxed for 3 weeks after being natural for 6 years.
I'm interested in a plant-derived relaxer because a more natural alternative would make me feel less guilty about the relaxing process. The harsh chemicals in relaxers is why it took me a couple of years to finally do it. I've only tried one brand of relaxer, Optimum no-lye regular, and while my hair didn't suffer any damage, my scalp was not happy :nono:. That, along with knowing how harsh the chemicals are, have me on the fence about relaxing again even though I do love how easy my hair is now. It would be nice to my cake and eat it too :yep:.

LaurenMechelle

i was thinking the same question about the rollers..all of the models look gorg and their hair :lick::lick: Congrats and you looked like you had an amazing experience!!!

:congrats: LaurenMechelle Congratulations! Are you going to be on the box and/or commercials? If so, that will be so exciting! I'll be able to say I e-know her :grin: Did those velcro rollers in your photos on the blog snag your hair? I've always been curious about whether the grip on the hair is damaging etc.
Thank you! I'll be in testimonial & tutorial videos on the website/social media channels! Very exciting!

For the Velcro rollers, I roll carefully & keep my hair towards the center of the roller, then wait until my hair is fully dry to remove them. I pull them away from my head rather than unroll them, and they just kinda brush through my hair. I would only do that with the super large ones, I think smaller ones would have too much hair wrapped around them to try that.

Sounds too good to be true. What are the ingredients and how does it work?
What are the ingredients of the activating agent? What is causing the hair to straighten? Sounds interesting
To be clear, it's still a chemical relaxer. The base is plant-derived & has the avocado, coconut, and olive oils, but when you mix in the liquid activator & creme booster, it acts just like a regular relaxer - just not with lye, mineral oil, petrolatum, propylene glycol, sulfates, parabens, or formaldehyde.

Here are the ingredients:

Straightening creme:
Aqua, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Hydrogenated Cottonseed oil, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride, Propanediol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Laureth-2, Glyceryl Caprylate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Citric Acid, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Olea Europaea (olive) Fruit Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel (Argan) Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Potassium Sorbate

Activator:
Aqua, Guanidine Carbonate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Laureth-2, Ceteth-10, Cetearyl Glucoside

Creme booster:
Aqua, Calcium Hydroxide, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteth-10, Steareth-21, Cetearyl Glucoside, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cl 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens)

It looks like the activator is similar to other brands:

ORS Olive Oil: Aqua, Guanidine Carbonate, Sorbitol, Cl 19140 (Yellow #5)

Dr. Miracle: Aqua, Guanidine Carbonate, Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, F.D. & C Yellow #6/Cl 15985

Please excuse any misspellings - typing on my phone in a drugstore (lol). Attaching photos of the backs of the above three brands for cross-reference, I'll also update my blog with the info - couldn't find it anywhere online! If the photos post the way I'm uploading, the first is Straight from Eden (hexagon shape), second is ORS Olive Oil (green rectangle), third is Dr. Miracle (brown rectangle).

Attachments

• image-4223262293.jpg
    image-4223262293.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3532965763.jpg
    image-3532965763.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1876826451.jpg
    image-1876826451.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 59

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I don't need to enter the giveaway. Just wanted to say Congrats on your trip to Cali and the video shoot. Loved the pictures.

LaurenMechelle

I don't need to enter the giveaway. Just wanted to say Congrats on your trip to Cali and the video shoot. Loved the pictures.

CONGRATS, you look good! You have great hair and you always style it well too :lol:

OP, your hair is stupid gorgeous :lick:. It's what I envisioned when I took the plunge to relax, but I needed up with more fro than flow :lachen:. But I'm keeping hope alive :grin:.
Thank you!!

awesome! Im just glad that they used the product on everyones hair and it was their own hair---you look great!

im also happy that companies are trying to correct and advance relaxersss!!!
it was definitely very cool to see the outcome - each girl was different! I'm also happy that companies are trying to make relaxers better for us! :yep::yep:

This is very interesting. I would like to know the ingredients as well.
Just posted up above! :yep:

tenderheaded

Your hair STUNNING!!!! I relax with Silk Elements, but I think I'll wait until more trials take place. My hair and scalp are finicky!

Honi

There is no board.
This looks like an improved version of Phyto. Some people have complained of dryness so hopefully this will minimize that.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Very nice. Although I have no intentions of relaxing again, it's great to know this is an option if I change my mind.

Your hair is beautiful.

faithVA

Thank you! I'll be in testimonial & tutorial videos on the website/social media channels! Very exciting!

For the Velcro rollers, I roll carefully & keep my hair towards the center of the roller, then wait until my hair is fully dry to remove them. I pull them away from my head rather than unroll them, and they just kinda brush through my hair. I would only do that with the super large ones, I think smaller ones would have too much hair wrapped around them to try that.

To be clear, it's still a chemical relaxer. The base is plant-derived & has the avocado, coconut, and olive oils, but when you mix in the liquid activator & creme booster, it acts just like a regular relaxer - just not with lye, mineral oil, petrolatum, propylene glycol, sulfates, parabens, or formaldehyde.

Here are the ingredients:

Straightening creme:
Aqua, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Hydrogenated Cottonseed oil, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride, Propanediol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Laureth-2, Glyceryl Caprylate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Citric Acid, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Olea Europaea (olive) Fruit Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel (Argan) Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Potassium Sorbate

Activator:
Aqua, Guanidine Carbonate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Laureth-2, Ceteth-10, Cetearyl Glucoside

Creme booster:
Aqua, Calcium Hydroxide, Propanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteth-10, Steareth-21, Cetearyl Glucoside, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cl 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens)

It looks like the activator is similar to other brands:

ORS Olive Oil: Aqua, Guanidine Carbonate, Sorbitol, Cl 19140 (Yellow #5)

Dr. Miracle: Aqua, Guanidine Carbonate, Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, F.D. & C Yellow #6/Cl 15985

Please excuse any misspellings - typing on my phone in a drugstore (lol). Attaching photos of the backs of the above three brands for cross-reference, I'll also update my blog with the info - couldn't find it anywhere online! If the photos post the way I'm uploading, the first is Straight from Eden (hexagon shape), second is ORS Olive Oil (green rectangle), third is Dr. Miracle (brown rectangle).

Thank You for posting that information. I didn't know you would have to go out of your way to get it. I do appreciate it though :yep:

LaurenMechelle

Thank You for posting that information. I didn't know you would have to go out of your way to get it. I do appreciate it though :yep:

No problem - I feel silly for not having the answer already!

Ladies, I've opened up the giveaway to my blog & social networks - you're welcome to enter if interested!

Last edited:

faithVA

No problem - I feel silly for not having the answer already!

Ladies, I've opened up the giveaway to my blog & social networks - you're welcome to enter if interested!

No need. I realized after others posted, that you were excited and trying to enjoy your moment and I came in asking for all kind of details :lol:

Hibiscus30

Awww! Congratulations! Your hair (and the other ladies') is beautiful...make me miss my relaxed hair!

Thanks for answering other posters' questions (in detail)...I was curious myself. Although I'm not interested in relaxing now...but I won't rule it out :)

leona2025

Your hair is beautiful and Congrats! Will they come out with a line products to go with this relaxer? Just curious. I'm very happy with my ORS and not switching any time soon.

LaurenMechelle

Awww! Congratulations! Your hair (and the other ladies') is beautiful...make me miss my relaxed hair! Thanks for answering other posters' questions (in detail)...I was curious myself. Although I'm not interested in relaxing now...but I won't rule it out :)
No problem, and thank you!

Your hair is beautiful and Congrats! Will they come out with a line products to go with this relaxer? Just curious. I'm very happy with my ORS and not switching any time soon.
Thank you! They actually do have a whole line of products - Relaxer (2 strengths), shampoo, conditioner, detangling leave-in, and a repairing oil. This giveaway is for one full-size product of each! And I totally understand, it would be difficult to get me to change from something that was working for me too!

Wow! Looks like it was an amazing experience
It was definitely fun!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Congrats on this opportunity OP. VERY NICE!
And lovely hair as always.

To the ladies who are wondering, this is a version of a no lye relaxer. The chemical activation process is what tipped me off. The active, straightening ingredient ( guanidinium chloride) is a guanidinium salt. It is a derivative of guanidinium hydroxide which is also the active ingredient in a lot of non-lye hair relaxers. Guanidinium salts are known for their denaturing action on proteins which would explain the process they initiate that breaks the protein bond to ultimately straighten the hair.

The active ingredient stood out to me because I used to research relaxers as a hobby while trying to find a solution for my own hair.

At any rate. Hope this info helps someone. This formula looks promising as in the industry is taking note of things we kitchen scientists have been doing for years now like adding oils to relaxers! Kudos to them. :)

LaurenMechelle

Congrats on this opportunity OP. VERY NICE! And lovely hair as always. To the ladies who are wondering, this is a version of a no lye relaxer. The chemical activation process is what tipped me off. The active, straightening ingredient ( guanidinium chloride) is a guanidinium salt. It is a derivative of guanidinium hydroxide which is also the active ingredient in a lot of non-lye hair relaxers. Guanidinium salts are known for their denaturing action on proteins which would explain the process they initiate that breaks the protein bond to ultimately straighten the hair. The active ingredient stood out to me because I used to research relaxers as a hobby while trying to find a solution for my own hair. At any rate. Hope this info helps someone. This formula looks promising as in the industry is taking note of things we kitchen scientists have been doing for years now like adding oils to relaxers! Kudos to them. :)

Very cool to hear the science behind it, thanks!!

LaurenMechelle

Ladies: due to an underwhelming response, I'm closing down this portion of the giveaway & will choose 3 winners from those that enter on instagram/my blog. If interested, you can absolutely still enter that way! Thank you for all of the kind words!

ckisland - I know you expressed an interest, but can't host here with only one entrant. In exchange, I'll give you 10 entries towards a chance to win on my blog.

Thanks again everyone!

ckisland

Ladies: due to an underwhelming response, I'm closing down this portion of the giveaway & will choose 3 winners from those that enter on instagram/my blog. If interested, you can absolutely still enter that way! Thank you for all of the kind words!

ckisland - I know you expressed an interest, but can't host here with only one entrant. In exchange, I'll give you 10 entries towards a chance to win on my blog.

Thanks again everyone!
Ladies on LHCF are not about being guinea pigs :lachen: Thank you for still giving me a chance to enter :grin:.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Re: New plant-derived relaxeII am goingr from Creme of Nature + Giveaway!

I am not relaxed,but this sounds like a great relaxer for texlaxing. I wish there were youtube video testimonials.:ohwell: