November 2013 Hits & Missess

oneastrocurlie

Hit:

Amazing Botanicals Castor oil exilir - I've had this since last black Friday. Hadn't used it in months but has been really good on my scalp while in these twists. Used some again this morning. It's not super thick like regular castor oil which is a plus.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Hit: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Awesome lasting moisture for my 4b hair. A little goes a long way.

Hit: Refreshing the Shea Moisture CES with Hairitage Hydration Mango Colada and sealing with Mango CLoud. This combo enhances the moisture in the CES after a few days and smells incredible! :lick:

Definite staples.

Hit: Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste. At first glace, I was like :ohwell: What is this gonna do for my 4b edges? Then I used it and it went on very smooth and after a bit of time with a scarf on, my edges were surprisingly nicely laid. It reminds me of the Cream of Nature Argan Oil Perfect Edges, but with a much nicer smell. This one smells like sweet caramel. :lick:

TeeBee

Lita
My Belle Butters are here!! Oh my WOW, like wow..dropped my jaw and everything! The consistency is SOOOO creamy, you'd swear these butters were water based.

image-4039790839.jpg

The scents are perfect! Not too heavy, not too light (I got the pumpkin pie and unyevu butters). I've only used them on my body, can't wait to try in my hair. Still a HIT so far.

Carolie

Huge Hit: Kiehl's Strengthening and Hydrating hair Oil-in-Cream

I was given 4 sample film packets (the lady was super nice and wanted to make sure I had plenty to try lol), though 2 was more than enough.

Just used those and my Aveda Curl Controller (ran out of my usual flaxseed gel) on top... Never have I felt my hair feel so moisturized in my *life*! I usually use SM's Curl and Style Milk, but by the next day my hair is already dry and frizzy. This stuff defined my curls beautifully has kept my hair nice for 5 days now. Also, no silicone, mineral oil or parabens. Miracle, I tell you!

It's a bit pricey, but worth it IMO. You might be gone this month, SM.

Lita

TeeBee Thanks! Loving the texture in your picture..Have to get some BF..Yep.

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

MsDes

Hit: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo- I love it! It doesn't strip my hair. It leaves it soft and manageable. Will be my staple shampoo. This is the first natural shampoo I've tried that worked great and I've tried soooo many.

Hit: Shea Moisture Gel Souffle- Gave me the best twist out ever!! I looooove this stuff. I don't hear too many positive reviews on this but man, I love it. More for me, lol. Leaves my hair shiny and super soft. A little goes a long way!

felic1

This is not the what did you buy thread, but I did go by Walgreens and get:
SM products, buy 2 and get 1 free

As I Am cleaning conditioner...I think it may have been 5.99 I got two because they work very well. This sale may be over tomorrow.

CodeRed

Continued hits:

- K Organic Keratin Treatment - soft, strong hair. Cheap Dominican product. Great discovery among all the stuff I bought. The only downside is that knock-a-b!tch-out fragrance. Good Lord have mercy.... It doesn't last though.

- Hask everything - the shampoos and the deep treatments, especially the Macadamia Oil Hydrating Deep Conditioner. The Bomb. Always soft, strong hair. And you can get two uses out of that little packet. The shampoo is awesome. The first time I have been able to detangle with a store bought shampoo EVER. $6.50 for a 20 oz bottle that'll last me all year? Yes ma'am, I think I'll take it.

- Hi Pro Pac deep treatments - I didn't like them as much as Hask but they are still good and have pretty much the same affect. You can also get two uses out of these little packets.

- Coconut milk to thin out thick treatments. Saves money too because now you get a lot more product and it still works the same.

- Deep conditioning on dry hair with oil on scalp only - this helps a lot because I conditioner wash out the treatment and my scalp is still moisturized for days. Also, I don't lose nearly as much hair as when I try to comb through the treatment. Oil scalp, slap on deep treatment, sit under dryer for 30 minutes, shower.

- Discovering Dominican products

- My hair falling out. Yeah, unusual hit, but it made me rethink all the stress in my life and start treating myself a little bit better. Discovered lots of new and useful products too

- Not being an "all natural" snob because of... shedding lol. All natural products worked for me great, but I'm not about breaking the bank anymore. I want my hair to grow back and I'm trying a little of everything, which would cost a lot more for only handmade products. I'm also not afraid of all silicones... knowledge is power... and a money saver.

- Cowashing out oils - my hair sheds if I leave oils in my hair

- As always... this website. You ladies (all of you) are so helpful to me... I really wish I could thank every single person who posts here.

That's all I can think of for now....

KinkyGenius

HUUUUUUGE HIT
Hairveda Sitrinillah DC: This just might be my new staple DC. My hair feels amazing after using this and my curls are popping all over the place. I was skeptical for a few reasons (1) I haven't had much success with Hairveda conditioners; I've tried the 24/7 Moist condish and the moisturizing conditioner that comes with the Methi set and both were just mediocre for me and (2) I hated how this conditioner felt going on my hair. Maaaaaan was I shocked! I maybe able to remove a few conditioners from my Black Friday list and just stock up on this!!

Drying my hair in braids to stretch: Been doing this about a month now and I'm seeing a decrease in SSKs. Plus it is a super quick way to stretch my hair.

Finger detangling & Detangling on damp hair before getting in shower: Losing less hair, less breakage and the integrity of my curls has improved since I'm no longer dragging a comb or denman through them.

HIT
Using HH Soft Coconut Marshmallow as a leave-in

NaturallyATLPCH

Lita
My Belle Butters are here!! Oh my WOW, like wow..dropped my jaw and everything! The consistency is SOOOO creamy, you'd swear these butters were water based.

View attachment 231919

The scents are perfect! Not too heavy, not too light (I got the pumpkin pie and unyevu butters). I've only used them on my body, can't wait to try in my hair. Still a HIT so far.

TeeBee Yes, Belle Butters are great! I love the unveyu butter. I used them over a year ago and PJism set in. They were great on my body and my hair too.

Hit: EVOO to dry detangle. My hair is soft and my tangles just melted away.

On the fence: Coconut oil
EVOO makes my hair super soft. Coconut oil used to do the same, but it's not working as well as it used to anymore. :sad:

Hit: Coming off the all natural bad wagon
Yeah, I am putting cones and mineral oil in my regimen. I don't see a huge difference in the growth rate of my hair without them and I need slippery conditioners with yucky ingredients in my life lol...

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Hit: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo- I love it! It doesn't strip my hair. It leaves it soft and manageable. Will be my staple shampoo. This is the first natural shampoo I've tried that worked great and I've tried soooo many.

Hit: Shea Moisture Gel Souffle- Gave me the best twist out ever!! I looooove this stuff. I don't hear too many positive reviews on this but man, I love it. More for me, lol. Leaves my hair shiny and super soft. A little goes a long way!

This was one of my October hits. It smells really good too. It is a staple for me too.

I'm hooked on the Curl Enhancing Smoothie now. You got me wanting to try the gel souffle. MsDes

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit:

Hairitage Hydrations Espressoself. It has coconut milk, good ole protein, and since I'm texlaxed, you know I still got some curl and once this hit those curls it was Poppin City! Made me realize I need protein. This product looks heavy, but I found it being really light and moisturizing. Not light in the sense that it's not enough, light in that its good, moisturizing and didn't make my hair feel like residue city.

Keravada Amla oil. I normally hate coconut oil and don't really care for Grapeseed oil, but these oils are in the Amla oil and left my hair shiny and amazing.

Continued Hit: Silk Dream Wheat Germ Butter. It's the only moisturizer I don't doubt :)

Miss: Not a darn thing.

Last edited:

gorgeoushair

Hit:
Soultanicals Mango Dip- used this for the first time and I used it as a leave in. Oh Em Gee! Talk about melting tangles and softness. I didn't seal it in or use a moisturizer into of it or seal it in. I didn't have to mosturize my hair until day 4. I love it when a products does exactly what it says!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
REVISITED HIT:
Naturelle Grow's Herbal Cleansing Conditioner

CONTINUED HITS:
AG Fast Food's Reconstructor
Hydratherma Naturals Amino Protein Deep Conditioner
Kizuri Beauty's Olive & Shea Moisture Butter

Rozlewis

Hit this week:

The Pomade Shop's Coffee DC
The Pomade Shop's LinoMoist
Hairveda's Jardin oil
Hairveda's Phinishing Rinse
Wen 613

Undecided
The Pomade Shop's Coffee Shampoo (the consistency was different and was not as moisturizing as my faithful KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo). I will give this shampoo another shoot.

Miss
MD Coffee DC (too thick, no slip, and pricey)

NaturallyATLPCH

Huuuuuuuuuge Hit:
Perfectiv Mega Growth Deep Conditioner

Now, I was going waaaaay out my normal routine. I've been modified curly girl for almost THREE YEARS. No cone, mineral oil, or petroleum has touched my hair.

This gem right here? Super silky, strong, soft hair!! Definitely a staple. No more CG for me. Welcome to my life cones, mineral oil, and other yucky ingredients frowned upon in the natural hair community. :grin:

Lovestyr

I am unsure of where I got the idea, but I am certain it was on here somwehere:grin:

Huge Miss:
Sta so Fro-Hair and Scalp Spray--uhhh idk what I did wrong but my hair was a sticky mess. I think it was recommended to be used for stretching but it did not work for me.

Joico Recovery Balm-- a lot of ppl here love this stuff, for me it just stayed on my hair in one spot, personally I did not see any benefit. I tried it with and without heat. I wanted to like this very much.

Tresemme natural conditioner and shampoo with aloe vera??? The white bottle one with the green leaf on it...Disclaimer I am relaxed soo, this is best for natural women imo. My hair upon air drying was brittle and hard. Very affordable stuff but I threw it out :ohwell:

Hits:

I am loving Redken Real Control Shampoo
Aphogee Keratin Green tea restructizer

Barbara

Princess
I like threads like this.

I get a review on hair care products I haven't tried yet.

My "future purchase list" is getting lllooonnngggeeerrr.

Beamodel

Continued HITS

Hairitage Hydration - Soft Coconut Marshmallow, Pink Lemon Berry Mimosa & Carrot Cake Frosting...

Meadowfoam Oil & Kera Vada Fenugreek Oil

Kizuri Cocoa Vanilla DC
MillCreek Biotin Conditioner

nymane

Mega Hit:

Hairsense combs on wet/damp hair! Just Wow, I already own several Hercules Sägemann combs which I like (better on dry hair), but Hairsense combs glide through my wet/damp hair like butter...Amazing

So far I have the Detangler & the Large Rattail comb with medium space teeth (a must for roller setting, although I don't like using the rattail end to make parts)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Combo Hit: HH Mango Colada layered under Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, ends sealed with Hairveda Almond Glaze.

Lita

Hit-

*Great Combo-HH soft coconut,Darcy's Cocoa whip & melted pomade/balm or petro of choice to seal with..Moisturized hair 3 days..Yep

Continued Hit's-

*Njois Creations-Coconut Cream Hairdress..This is my fall/winter scalp cream..Very whipped texture,absorbs & smells great.

*Shea Moisture-Yucca thickening hair milk..This has been a hit for me since day one..Strong/soft hair..Shed free..It really comes in handy for fall/winter weather.

*BASK-Java Bean Balm..Love applying this on my edges,right after I spritz or use a moisturizer..Gives a nice shine & keep edges soft/healthy.

*MHC-Soy butter..Great sealant on cold days..

*Marie Dean-Soy Honey Cream,great addition before you seal with oil..Fall weather.

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited: