my once dark hair has turned golden brown

Ayesha81

Gm ladies

My hair has turned a golden brown color even though I have been getting compliments I still wonder how did my hair go from dark to this golden brown color I get my hair relaxed every 3 months and even she commented on my hair color and said it must be the sun.

I go to diffrent lady for my wash n roller sets every week for 3 years now before that I used to wash and set my hair at home and my hair was dark but ever since I started going to the salon regularly my hair has turned light brown. But If I heavily oil/grease my hair you dont see the light brown as much.

I have never put color in my hair at all I just get a simple wash and set. I eat well balanced meal and drink water regularly so I know its not my diet.

Dos anyone here know how this could have happened. Thanks

DirectorChic

I am not sure but could it be over processing? You said you started going regularly and it also may depend on the type of relaxer. The sun will certainly light your hair color esp. if you relax your hair. I think someone knowledgeable with relaxers would be more qualified to answer the question.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
If they're using a No-Lye Relaxer you might want to incorporate a Chelating Shampoo to rid yourself of various mineral deposits which can change your hair color.

Do a Search on Chelating Shampoos. Chelating is recommended for that problem.

hairedity

I too believe it's the relaxer. My hair went from looking dark brown/black to light brown with blond highlights when I was relaxed, and especially in the summer.

greenbees

This also happened to me when I was relaxed. My hair color went from jet black to this dull brown.

BayAreaDream

The sun usually turns my hair a lighter color in the summer... Is it starting to turn darker now that the weather is changing?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Most of the time it is Calcium deposits in No-Lye relaxers which is why folks incorporate a Chelating Shampoo to help remove/combat those deposits.

Ayesha81

Its the same color I will have to just deal with it....sigh darn relaxer.

[ QUOTE=BayAreaDream;19151337]The sun usually turns my hair a lighter color in the summer... Is it starting to turn darker now that the weather is changing?[/QUOTE]

Ayesha81

I have never relaxed my hair on my own. I will ask my hairdresser if she uses a chelating shampoo.

Most of the time it is Calcium deposits in No-Lye relaxers which is why folks incorporate a Chelating Shampoo to help remove/combat those deposits.

Last edited:

KittyMeowMeow

This happened to me too when I was relaxed.

Other things that cause it are ACV and honey. Even though I'm natural now, my hair has this going on, probably because I used these in the past.

Ayesha81

^^ Honey?! That just might be it I have been using honey instead of sugar for my teas and hot chocolate. Also every few days I mix/drink lemon, honey and water in the morning to cleanse and detox.

Honi

There is no board.
It may be a sign of some porosity issues combined with sun exposure/oxidation. My daughters natural hair now has a reddish tint to it after the summer from swimming so chemicals do play a part.

Fine 4s

^^ Honey?! That just might be it I have been using honey instead of sugar for my teas and hot chocolate. Also every few days I mix/drink lemon, honey and water in the morning to cleanse and detox.

I thought she meant putting honey in the hair. Hope she comes back to clarify.

KittyMeowMeow

I thought she meant putting honey in the hair. Hope she comes back to clarify.

Hi ladies! Yes, I meant putting them in the hair. The ACV is more of a reddish tone.

http://www.wikihow.com/Lighten-Hair-Naturally-With-Honey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SosjYnLLYZI

http://www.ehow.com/how_2139527_use-vinegar-lighten-hair.html

Lemon and chamomile tea are other things that might lighten hair:

http://voices.yahoo.com/4-all-natural-ways-lighten-hair-11164838.html?cat=69