Anyone find that acv rinses as the final rinse isn't for them?

Lilmama1011

A couple of months ago I adopted the acv rinses because I heard it balanced your ph(less tangles) and it sealed the cuticle and provided shine for the hair which are major pluses! But I noticed I didn't really like it because after deep conditioning and doing a acv it defeated the whole purpose of deep conditioning. It's like I would wash my hair, deep condition and do a acv rinse. It made me feel like I didn't deep condition at all and like I just wash my hair again, not stripped feeling but clean and I like my hair to feel like I just conditioned it (I'm pretty sure we all do). So I just abandoned acv and just don't do it anymore, despite the benefits. Anyone else feel that way. I'm thinking about just using it as a clarifier, since its gets rid of build up with the harsh stripped feeling.

all_1_length

Yeah. I tried acv rinses before shampooing and after. I say I defiantly prefer doing it before. This way I can dc and prevent my hair from suffering from the vinegars stripping effects.

virtuenow

When I first heard of acv rinses, my first instincts were that vinegar is not intended for hair. I finally gave in after Moptopmaven raved about it and her hair was awesome. I did acv rinses for about 6months to a year and it felt good at first. Yes, I diluted them-- and tried different ratios. Eventually I ended up w/bone dry stripped hair (and nearly bald-headed in some spots). I had other things going on product-wise but the acv rinses were definitely a great contributor-- and the finisher of my hairs fate. Now I'm back to my belief that acv rinses are not meant for the hair. I find that balancing my moisture/protein is the best way to assure my hairs cuticle is sealed and conditioned.

Lilmama1011

When I first heard of acv rinses, my first instincts were that vinegar is not intended for hair. I finally gave in after Moptopmaven raved about it and her hair was awesome. I did acv rinses for about 6months to a year and it felt good at first. Yes, I diluted them-- and tried different ratios. Eventually I ended up w/bone dry stripped hair (and nearly bald-headed in some spots). I had other things going on product-wise but the acv rinses were definitely a great contributor-- and the finisher of my hairs fate. Now I'm back to my belief that acv rinses are not meant for the hair. I find that balancing my moisture/protein is the best way to assure my hairs cuticle is sealed and conditioned.

virtuenow My mom said the same thing when I mentioned acv rinses, she was go ahead and do that and your hair is going to pop right off your head and I was scared but saw so many relaxed and natural raving about it so I gave in too and at first I was like the frizz did seem poem minimized but I was tired of deep conditioning and it to feeling like I deep conditioned, even though I moisturize and seal daily I still want it to be soft after deep conditioning

Nonie

You guys must be using a very strong solution of ACV to be finding that to be the case. Only a strong solution would strip hair. My dilution of ACV is 1 part ACV to 128 parts water and my hair is not only soft but also smooth and with a natural sheen. Or 4 tablespoons to 2 gallons of water.

Lilmama1011

You guys must be using a very strong solution of ACV to be finding that to be the case. Only a strong solution would strip hair. My dilution of ACV is 1 part ACV to 128 parts water and my hair is not only soft but also smooth and with a natural sheen. Or 4 tablespoons to 2 gallons of water.

Nonie I don't use a lot, I have a small spray bottle and I just put enough of acv to make a thin layer on the bottom, not even a quarter of a inch of acv, because my bottle is small, my hair doesn't feel stripped but I doesn't feel conditioned

Nonie

What conditioner do you use? @Lilmama1011

Also do you use distilled water in your spritz? I know that when I got a water filter, my hair felt smoother than when I used just plain ol' tap water.

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

Also do you use distilled water in your spritz? I know that when I got a water filter, my hair felt smoother than when I used just plain ol' tap water.

Nonie I used regular tap water. I switch conditioner a lot to get rid of my stash now but at that time I was using miracle 7 from Sally's I believe

sugarwater

I use diluted ACV (1 part ACV 3 parts water) as a scalp cleanser, and a beginning cleanse before I use a mud wash.

I wash about every 2 - 3 weeks with use of thick leave in condish, a thick shea butter mix and carrier oil mixture in between.

There was one time I just used the AVC rinse and my hair was so soft and clean. Once i'm done with my mud washes, i think i'll just stick to ACV

It has never caused me any trouble and has always been the one things that gets all the gunk off, and kept my hair shiny and soft

Nonie

I don't know if this would make a difference but you could try to make your spritz with distilled water. Otherwise, I believe @Allandra does her ACV rinse before conditioning so maybe that will work for you. Lilmama1011

Last edited:

PureSilver

Yep it made my hair dry and crispy. I think it will do good for me as an additional cleansing agent added to my shampoo though.

Nonie

Yep it made my hair dry and crispy. I think it will do good for me as an additional cleansing agent added to my shampoo though.

@SUNSHINE BABY dry and crispy is a sign of a very strong acidic solution. Be careful coz that isn't the only negative thing you are to experience using it so strong. It will destroy the protein in your hair when you use it so strong.

PureSilver

Thank you, i haven't tried it recently though. I experimented during my early years after my big chop and i learned my lesson after that. I won't be revisiting the ACV rinse for that purpose but i've read where it's a cheap and effective facial toner so that i am gonna try next.

mshoneyfly

Thank you, i haven't tried it recently though. I experimented during my early years after my big chop and i learned my lesson after that. I won't be revisiting the ACV rinse for that purpose but i've read where it's a cheap and effective facial toner so that i am gonna try next.

SUNSHINE BABY
Ive read that acv has many uses in beautifying the skin. I am using avj as a toner and it works well to clean and tighten the pores on my face. But I hate that it has to stay in the fridge. I might give the acv a try.

The acv rinse worked well at first but then it started to make my relaxed ends hard, dry and stuck together. Some people use it under their dc with success. I think my relaxed ends are a different porosity than my ng because it left my ng soft.

mshoneyfly

I don't know if this would make a difference but you could try to make your spritz with distilled water. Otherwise, I believe @Allandra does her ACV rinse before conditioning so maybe that will work for you. Lilmama1011

Nonie
Come to think of it, the first two times, I did use distilled water and it worked out great. But after that I used tap water and the whole thing went south on me

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I use a Pre-Mix (Hairveda's ACV Phinsing Rinse) after each Steaming DC session.

When I first joined, I had overly porous hair (overprocessed/double processed/tripled processed) Cuticle was lifted, raised, chipped you name it.

Incorporating an ACV Rinse as a final rinse has helped correct my porosity issue.

I was going to the Beauty School for my T/U's a while back and on my card they had my Porosity listed as "Normal" which I was pleasantly surprised.

I incorporated those rinses specifically to "correct my Porosity" problems

So, this is part of my weekly DC'ing regimen (with Heat), and I have had nothing but good results.

Some others I have tried is: Roux Porosity Control, Modern Organic Products Burdock Root Rinse and Nexxus Acidifying Conditioner as my final rinse, which does many of the same things an ACV Rinse does.

Claudie also has a very nice one that has to be mixed. I prefer not mixing, which is why I stick to Hairveda's ACV Phinsing Rinse. It's already properly measured and ret-to-go

make_me_over

I have excellent results with acv when I use it BEFORE DCing. I shampoo, condition (instant), and rinse. I then rinse with a mixture of 1/2 cup avc in a gallon of water. I make sure the acv is rinsed out thoroughly, then I DC as usual. The results are soft hair that is easily detangled.

Amarilles

ACV won't work well if one has hard water.

I find many of us probably don't even need to balance the pH after a wash. Most products are pH balanced...I use ACV in my rhassoul DC because otherwise it'd have a pH of 8, so I lower that to below 7. But if one's DC (or the last product used) is below 7, there's no point in using it because water will bring the pH back to 7 anyway (or higher in the case of hard water).

I think it's more important to pH balance our leave-ins (if they aren't already) because those are what will remain in the hair after rinsing it. I personally like my leave-ins to have a pH of 4.5-5.5.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
Girl, that mess will eat your hair up if your ratio is off. I learned the hard way a few years ago haven't revisited it since. Proceed with caution and use the tried and true ratios from the ladies that use it with success.

Ari8

It doesn't work well for me as an after-rinse either. I use it before conditioning.
I rarely use it nowadays because I can't find a good ratio. 3-4 teaspoons in 2 cups of water seems ideal at times, but other times it's made my hair knotted/stuck together, perhaps because I was using it too often (every other day). Oddly, my best result was when I accidentally poured 1/2 cup of undiluted ACV on my wet, pre-conditioned hair. My hair has never that silky or smooth EVER, before or since. The softness faded as I rinsed.

Lilmama1011

Nonie, i got my gallon of distilled water today, debating whether i should use to clarify or after the conditioner or both:perplexed

Lilmama1011

I use diluted ACV (1 part ACV 3 parts water) as a scalp cleanser, and a beginning cleanse before I use a mud wash.

I wash about every 2 - 3 weeks with use of thick leave in condish, a thick shea butter mix and carrier oil mixture in between.

There was one time I just used the AVC rinse and my hair was so soft and clean. Once i'm done with my mud washes, i think i'll just stick to ACV

It has never caused me any trouble and has always been the one things that gets all the gunk off, and kept my hair shiny and soft

sugarwater you always use it for cleansing and before dc or you use it after dc as well?

Lilmama1011

It doesn't work well for me as an after-rinse either. I use it before conditioning.
I rarely use it nowadays because I can't find a good ratio. 3-4 teaspoons in 2 cups of water seems ideal at times, but other times it's made my hair knotted/stuck together, perhaps because I was using it too often (every other day). Oddly, my best result was when I accidentally poured 1/2 cup of undiluted ACV on my wet, pre-conditioned hair. My hair has never that silky or smooth EVER, before or since. The softness faded as I rinsed.

wow, undiluted acv?! That seems like it would eat your hair up! when you diluted was it tap water? Ari8

BonBon

Nonie

What do you think of 1/4 cup avc to 1cup water. This is what Komaza care recommended but I remember the last time I used something like this a few years ago it really messed up my hair.

Nonie

[USER=327265]Lilmama1011[/USER];18494135 said:
Nonie, i got my gallon of distilled water today, debating whether i should use to clarify or after the conditioner or both:perplexed

Never understood why people use ACV to clarify. IMO a shampoo would do that better. If you don't want sulphates/sulfates or too alkaline a shampoo like many clarifying shampoos might be, then use pH balanced Giovanni 50:50.

Nonie

[USER=26733]Vanthie[/USER];18494193 said:
Nonie

What do you think of 1/4 cup avc to 1cup water. This is what Komaza care recommended but I remember the last time I used something like this a few years ago it really messed up my hair.

I think that is insane. That is 32 times more concentrated an ACV solution than I would dare use on my hair. I would question their understanding of acids and effect on keratin and give this advice a major side-eye.

Ari8

I think that is insane. That is 32 times more concentrated an ACV solution than I would dare use on my hair. I would question their understanding of acids and effect on keratin and give this advice a major side-eye.

Komaza Care suggested I use 1 cup of ACV to 1 cup of H2O. I tried it a few times and barely noticed any effects, good or bad. It was like pouring water on my hair. What do you think?

But yeah, I've tried Vanthie's ratio before and my hair felt awful. It was too strong.