APL 2012 Challenge

livinthevida

And for the actual hair style! Drumroll please!

AMUUUUUUHHZZZINGGG results TheNDofUO! I like how your curls are well defined all over very pretty!

Lurkee

I know why I never post pics. To get a pic of my hair I need someone else to take it. Otherwise the camera is too close to my hair. Oh, well! Here's a pic of my twist out. I tried :ohwell:

I would say excuse the gray, but compared to last month, this is nothing :lol:

faithVA Your hair is pretty :) What color did you use?

Seamonster

The main reason I use the pull length check is to warn me of breakage/retention. It is definitely not my true length check, but as long as the current pull test is longer than it was last month, I know I am retaining hair. Sometimes I will have breakage, and didn't notice until I do the length pull. It is a great tool for making styling choices.

Some of us can note that our hair retains length better with additional hair in weaves, wigs, plaits, or cornrows. Others get good growth from protective styles with their hair in buns, twist, twist out, or flat twist. Some retain hair with sparse washes, frequent washes, exercise, vitamins, herbs, or diet. In order to avoid undue expense or waste of time I use the pull test monthly to determine what is working.

faithVA

@faithVA Your hair is pretty :) What color did you use?

Thanks Lurkee.

I use Morrocco Method henna. It's premixed. I usually use a mix of the red and the medium brown. The last two times I have used a mix of the red and the dark brown. Sometimes I throw some cocoa in it. :ohwell:

So over the entire strand, there are several different colors going on.

faithVA

Good progress @NikkiQ! You will make APL by then :)

I agree. I think she will be APL before the end of the summer. Her hair is growing and retaining very well :yep: And I think she will be BSB before end of year. Of course she won't believe it. But I will track this post so I can present it at the end of the year :lol:

So I can say NikkiQ, I told you so :yep:

faithVA

The main reason I use the pull length check is to warn me of breakage/retention. It is definitely not my true length check, but as long as the current pull test is longer than it was last month, I know I am retaining hair. Sometimes I will have breakage, and didn't notice until I do the length pull. It is a great tool for making styling choices.

Some of us can note that our hair retains length better with additional hair in weaves, wigs, plaits, or cornrows. Others get good growth from protective styles with their hair in buns, twist, twist out, or flat twist. Some retain hair with sparse washes, frequent washes, exercise, vitamins, herbs, or diet. In order to avoid undue expense or waste of time I use the pull test monthly to determine what is working.

I agree with you Seamonster. I really hadn't thought of it this way.

If I wasn't pulling on a regular basis, I may not have noticed that I lost an inch last month until I was completely back at NL :nono: And I wouldn't have known to let go of that AO GPB. I would have thought I was doing wonders for my hair and it was stabbing me in the back.

:yay: Now I have permission to length check monthly :lol: Cuz Seamonster said I could. :yep:

Lurkee

Thanks Lurkee.

I use Morrocco Method henna. It's premixed. I usually use a mix of the red and the medium brown. The last two times I have used a mix of the red and the dark brown. Sometimes I throw some cocoa in it. :ohwell:

So over the entire strand, there are several different colors going on.

Thanks :). Do you find the colour dripping every time you wash when you use henna? For some reason, the cocoa had me like this :lachen:

faithVA

[USER=344909 said:
Lurkee[/USER];15716783]Thanks :). Do you find the colour dripping every time you wash when you use henna? For some reason, the cocoa had me like this :lachen:

No but I don't use that much cocoa. I use 2 TBSP red, 5 TBSP brown, 2 TBSP max of cocoa if I use any.

I also learned for my hair to try to avoid letting oils hit my hair for the first 3 days to allow the henna to set it. Oils cause the henna to separate which is when I get the most bleeding. This is probably why I don't hang on to it as long in the front because I usually oil my edges daily.

I wash a week after and by then the color is set.

faithVA

I was lazy last night and just through my bonnet over my twist out. With the SM Mist it was still moisturized this morning. Was going to put it in a puff but I still had all my curls. So put AVJ/glycerin mix in my hands and rubbed it through my hair and ends and banded it like yesterday. Let's see how long I can drag this on. :yep:

DSCN0198 (640x427).jpg

NikkiQ

faithVA said:
I agree. I think she will be APL before the end of the summer. Her hair is growing and retaining very well :yep: And I think she will be BSB before end of year. Of course she won't believe it. But I will track this post so I can present it at the end of the year :lol:

So I can say NikkiQ, I told you so :yep:

Yeah totally now making it to BSB this year faithVA :lol:

Decided to dye my hair again. He's a preview.

View attachment 2012-04-14 13.21.01.jpg

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

caltron

Just checking in. I recently went cold turkey on the flat ironing, and I'm really noticing a difference in the health of my hair. I'm finding I don't really need to flatiron after washing and that a blowout is all that is needed. I know even blowdrying can be damaging, but it's a big improvement on what I had been doing.

I can also see what my hairdresser was talking about when she was telling me how terrible my ends are. Now that I'm not using heat, I can tell the healthy hair from the dead ends. The healthy hair is shiny and lays straight after blowing out and rolling, but the dead ends are crinkly and do what they want to do. I have about 2 inches of these dead ends, and I think I'm going to concentrate on slowly cutting these ends off over the next four months.

Then maybe by the end of this year I will be able to claim APL with healthy hair from root to tip.

faithVA

Yeah totally now making it to BSB this year @faithVA :lol:

Go ahead with that red hair young lady. Only a few people could pull that off :yep:

And as far as making it to BSB, you are going to make it. Your freudian slip means even you think your going to make it. nah nah nah :lol:

NikkiQ

Lurkee said:
I am totally jelly of your color. It is gorgeous! NikkiQ

If you are using rinses, how do you get them to be so vivid?? Also any bleeding problems at wash day/rain ? :look:

I used a Silk Elements permanent dye before that left my hair a light caramel brown once it faded so stains and and rinses show up pretty well. This is Manic Panic in Wildfire. Once I rinse it out and DC, I'll come back and post a pic of the final results. I wanted to blow it out today,but won't have enough time.

NikkiQ

faithVA said:
Go ahead with that red hair young lady. Only a few people could pull that off :yep:

And as far as making it to BSB, you are going to make it. Your freudian slip means even you think your going to make it. nah nah nah :lol:

Dangit!! I meant NOT gonna make it. Shoot! :lachen:

livinthevida

Yeah totally now making it to BSB this year faithVA :lol:

View attachment 145477

Beautiful see of red NikkiQ! Good coverage too :)

Now I am thinking of trying Manic Panic this Spring/Summer :sunshine:

Any pointers for a newbie? Is it best to color with Manic Panic or do a Henna coloring first? I'm not really looking for permanent color just something I'd like to try and see how it looks on me :artist2:

sajjy

NikkiQ Beautiful color!
Seamonster and faithVA you ladies are right about those pull length checks. I was having a ton of shedding and breakage all this week. I started to panic but I kept telling my self don't re-braid your hair for a month or two at a time. I decided against my first mind last night and ended up redoing my hair, a length check and discovering the cause of all that breakage and shedding. So until my reggie is rock solid (which I think I'm on my way) then I'll be checking upon it... b/c it saved my hair.

Last edited:

Aggie

Nice results @Aggie! How did you get your hair to shine like that? :)

Could you believe it livinthevida, the stylist used KeraCare Creme Press and Thermal Protector. She did put a tiny bit of KeraCare leave-in first though. The leave-in and Thermal protector went on before she blow-dryed with a very good dryer called H2Pro something...

Then she put on a tiny bit of KC Creme Press to flat iron with a titanium H2Pro flat iron. OMG! I wanted to go out and buy that blow dryer and flat iron but I have so many tools already, it would be so wrong to add more. I will be getting them when the ones I have now are no longer working though:yep:.

It was as if those crazy knots that I had in my hair just melted away with these 2 tools. I really want to get them:drunk:. She didn't even spray any other shining product on my hair. In fact, she only used KeraCare products on my hair.

pookaloo83

Thought my hair didn't really grow much then dug up an old pic. The first pic is from January and the second is from my length check this month.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Attachments

• image-2545087608.jpg
    image-2545087608.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 85

lamaria211

I washed with ORS Creamy Aloe and dc'd with Biosilk Hydrating condish yesterday. Today I used my AR braid spray, Giovanni SAS and sealed all that in Jojoba and EVOO. My celies feel like they won the lotto:)

SavannahNatural

My twist out from today. Did medium twists all week and hope to retain the hang for the remainder of the weekend.

Probably going to wash on Sunday or Monday and rock my french braids for the week. ( that's my p,an and I'm sticking to it :look:)

ETA: sorry they are turned the wrong way. I'll fix them in a few.

Attachments

• image-681154040.jpg
    image-681154040.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 48
  • image-1885118669.jpg
    image-1885118669.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 34
  • image-694970335.jpg
    image-694970335.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 26