APL 2012 Challenge

Fyne

i used Joico Recovery Shampoo. see i had a mishap with protein a month or so ago and i can't seem to get my hair back on track. last week was a good wash day and hair week for me. i thought i was finally getting it back to normal. (i didn't use any shampoo) but this time i felt i need to remove some buildup and now my hair is a tangled mess. i feel like crying because i don't want to cut my hair. it's like a bird's nest right now. i just rinsed out the HE conditioner and it felt like it soften it up, but then it started turning on me again in the shower. (maybe it's the water?)

but i just don't know what to do at this point and i am desperate. i really wanna make my hair goals this year. i am sitting here with wet, tangled hair right now.

Do you live in a hard water area? Could it be an issue? I have to alternate with chelating and moisture poo's every two weeks; the water in my area is that bad. :nono: The water fiter attached to the fridge packed up a few weeks ago due to calcium build up I cant imagine what its doing to my hair.

@PeJae Welcome! Its never too late to join and the ladies are soo encouraging and helpful :D

TheNDofUO You wanna see my jagged ends:lachen:, especially after my first long term stretch. I have chosen to dust every 3 months and do a blunt trim when I reach full APL (2013)

@trixie :spinning: I lurrrve progress shots. You retained so well!

BEAUTYU2U

Finally, I have a length shot pic. Flat ironed my hair last night. It's cute when your family has selective memory of your hair. I was neck length through most of my relaxed days, only being shoulder length for a short time. A non-family member decided to put a relaxer in my hair two weeks after my mom put one in ... it fell out. :blush: Yet, according to my family now, I've "always been able to grow my hair long." :rolleyes: Anywho, the picture stops at my armpit. So you can see how far I have to go.

ETA: My ends are raggedy. I need a trim so it's fluffier than it should be.

Last edited:

lamaria211

Finally, I have a length shot pic. Flat ironed my hair last night. It's cute when your family has selective memory of your hair. I was neck length through most of my relaxed days, only being shoulder length for a short time. A non-family member decided to put a relaxer in my hair two weeks after my mom put one in ... it fell out. :blush: Yet, according to my family now, I've "always been able to grow my hair long." :rolleyes: Anywho, the picture stops at my armpit. So you can see how far I have to go.

ETA: My ends are raggedy. I need a trim so it's fluffier than it should be.

lmao. congrats i think we all have that family member:grin:

kupenda

Omg ladies the wig I bought is ATROCIOUS! It looked good in the store. I liked it. I got it home and it was awful!!!!!! And now I'm out $40. What a waste :(

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Evolving78

Do you live in a hard water area? Could it be an issue? I have to alternate with chelating and moisture poo's every two weeks; the water in my area is that bad. :nono: The water fiter attached to the fridge packed up a few weeks ago due to calcium build up I cant imagine what its doing to my hair.

yes we have well water. it seemed like once the product was rinsed out, hell would unleash on my hair again.

Evolving78

Omg ladies the wig I bought is ATROCIOUS! It looked good in the store. I liked it. I got it home and it was awful!!!!!! And now I'm out $40. What a waste :(

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

i got one of those too. don't know what to do with it. just sitting in the closet.

my hair is still in twists. i tried to go under the steamer and the dang thing won't stay up and it was getting too hot under there. so i put some Tresemme Naturals conditioner on top of the oil and put a plastic cap on. still don't know what my next move is. everything i own has protein in. i guess i will just mix some distilled water and Tresemme for moisture.

Last edited:

newnyer

1. Just realized I'm not due for a relaxer until April. :( My length check won't be a fiyah in my mind but I'll see if a rollerset will stretch my ng enough to get an accurate check.
2. I have frequently felt like I'm in rut lately & not seeing enough improvement in thickness or length. BUT I just did something and now want to pass on this tip: if you took a pic last year around this time...take a gander @ it to check out where u were then. BOY I still consider my hair limp but LAWD I have come a LONG WAY from 12 months ago! Gave me some perspective. Lol I'll probably put a side by side pic during our next length check or wait 'til my next relaxer. Whew!

faithVA

if you took a pic last year around this time...take a gander @ it to check out where u were then. BOY I still consider my hair limp but LAWD I have come a LONG WAY from 12 months ago! Gave me some perspective. Lol I'll probably put a side by side pic during our next length check or wait 'til my next relaxer. Whew!

I love this idea. :yep: That will really put things in perspective. And it will be very encouraging even if we have a ways to go until APL. Thanks newnyer.

SavannahNatural

faithVA said:
I've yet to use honey in my DC but I purchased 2 products with honey and my hair is just as sticky :nono: But it works on my mom's hair just fine. I have tried to dilute them but it hasn't worked out so far. Still going to try it in my DC one day and see how it goes.

faithVA I added honey to my DC and it has been like heaven for my hair! It makes it so soft and shiny!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

NaturalfienD

I've attempted to make my own before and didn't have enough hair unfortunately. It was really pretty though. I just wish I had one more pack of hair. I wanted it super thick. Are you going to sew the hair on the cap or glue it on?

Thanx NikkiQ for the feedback! I am going to sew the hair on a full mesh wig cap ... I kept some trax from my relaxer days (hey, I paid good money for that hair) so I will co-wash that and get one more bag just in case. I'm planning on doing a straight one so I can have the style without putting heat on my hair. On the flip, I am a little concerned about my hair not blending in, so the part that's left out might get flat ironed or sumthing. I will definitely send pix- tomorrow is payday so I will get this wig-making going over the weekend! Thanx again!!

NaturalfienD

i am trying avocado oil now and it seems to be working so far.

shortdub78 - forgive me if you've already addressed this but prior to washing, to you braid or twist your hair before washing? Leaving your hair loose and washing will definitely lead to tangles. I think the only way to get out of this is to very, very carefully detangle your hair section by section. It will take a while before you're done but it is worth it! In case you don't already, please braid or twist your hair before washing in the future. It has saved me from tangles and matting ... hella! HTH

NaturalfienD

Dang- I live in Vegas so I definitely have hard water :( guess it's time to invest in a shower filter ... I always wondered if the filtered water I used for the final rinse cancelled out the damage from the unfiltered water I used to wash.

(I typically have left over water from water bottles or I run to my apts gym to fill up a bottle for my final rinse ... doing to much? Maybe ... but that's how I roll :) )

Evolving78

shortdub78 - forgive me if you've already addressed this but prior to washing, to you braid or twist your hair before washing? Leaving your hair loose and washing will definitely lead to tangles. I think the only way to get out of this is to very, very carefully detangle your hair section by section. It will take a while before you're done but it is worth it! In case you don't already, please braid or twist your hair before washing in the future. It has saved me from tangles and matting ... hella! HTH

i never had an issue with washing relaxed loose hair before, but i will do this step for now on until i can get my issue under control. but the shampoo and water really did a number on me. i should have just stuck to cowashing.

coolsista-paris

shortdub78 said:
i never had an issue with washing relaxed loose hair before, but i will do this step for now on until i can get my issue under control. but the shampoo and water really did a number on me. i should have just stuck to cowashing.

Do you pre poo with oil? Maybe it will give less dryness and help? sections is à good idea though

NikkiQ

I'm anxious to take my twists out, but I'm gonna be good and not take them out until Saturday for a friend's baby shower. She's super excited to see it too which feels really good :yep:

Fyne

Ladies in hard water area - are you thinking of changing your routine because of it? I thought about using filtered water to co-wash got to be less harsh than straight from the tap right?

P.S I've got my comparison pic ready for March 31st :D

Kerryann

Ok so apparently im getting a steam everyday for the last couple of days doing yoga and didnt pay attention to it so with that said i better be grazing apl by at least june-july

Evolving78

Ladies in hard water area - are you thinking of changing your routine because of it? I thought about using filtered water to co-wash got to be less harsh than straight from the tap right?

P.S I've got my comparison pic ready for March 31st :D

i've done that before. i bought a shower filter and had to change it after a month. it was just getting too expensive.

coolsista-paris
i usually prepoo with an oil. having protein buildup is my problem. no moisture is getting in. products are just sitting on top. that's why my hair feels good until i rinse.

diadall

I once told this woman (my friend's aunt) I wanted my hair to my armpits and she said, "you think your hair can grow that long?"

It was nice/nasty. Mind you, she is basically bald. She wears long blond wigs.

Anyway that was two years ago and every time I see her I know she thinks she was right.

I need to get there!

HighAspirations

diadall said:
I once told this woman (my friend's aunt) I wanted my hair to my armpits and she said, "you think your hair can grow that long?"

It was nice/nasty. Mind you, she is basically bald. She wears long blond wigs.

Anyway that was two years ago and every time I see her I know she thinks she was right.

I need to get there!

That would irritate me so bad! I know my granny use to be like your Hair aint longer than mine, now she like.. .oh it is.. . :look:

NikkiQ

Boy boy...people don't know how to not put their foot in their mouths these days huh? Wait until you get to APL. I'd swang the CRAP out of my hair right in front of her and act like you don't even see her.