protein treatments for thin hairs

Killahkurlz

I'm thinking about adding protein to my regimen. Any advice? Products? Natural or unnatural. Process? How often? Warnings?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I'm natural. I like to use a light protein once a week to every two weeks. Aubrey Organics GBP is great because you can use it on dry hair. When I was using this, I didn't need to follow up with a moisturizing DC. I used to alternate weekly between this and AO HSR (Honeysuckle Rose), which is very moisturizing.

I ran out of the GPB and wanted to try other things so I picked up Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Reconstucturizer. I spray this right before I apply my leave in, moisturizer, and sealant. I do this every two weeks and I see little to no breakage. I really like this stuff. A natural alternative to the Aphogee spray is Komaza Care Protein Strengthener. I have not tried this yet, but I've ordered it and heard the results are similar to the Aphogee spray.

I also like Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion. I use this about once a month. For me, it is a medium protein with silk protein...a little stronger than the GPB. I just used this today. You have to follow this up with a moisturizing non-protein DC. I lay off of the Aphogee Spray when I use the Mocha Silk.

Killahkurlz

I'm natural. I like to use a light protein once a week to every two weeks. Aubrey Organics GBP is great because you can use it on dry hair. When I was using this, I didn't need to follow up with a moisturizing DC. I used to alternate weekly between this and AO HSR (Honeysuckle Rose), which is very moisturizing.

I ran out of the GPB and wanted to try other things so I picked up Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Reconstucturizer. I spray this right before I apply my leave in, moisturizer, and sealant. I do this every two weeks and I see little to no breakage. I really like this stuff. A natural alternative to the Aphogee spray is Komaza Care Protein Strengthener. I have not tried this yet, but I've ordered it and heard the results are similar to the Aphogee spray.

I also like Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion. I use this about once a month. For me, it is a medium protein with silk protein...a little stronger than the GPB. I just used this today. You have to follow this up with a moisturizing non-protein DC. I lay off of the Aphogee Spray when I use the Mocha Silk.

Thank u. Are all these things just in the beauty supply?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Thank u. Are all these things just in the beauty supply?

Aphogee is at the BSS. Aubrey's is at your local Vitamin Shoppe store, Whole Foods, or other health food stores.

Komaza is found in select retailers... check their site.

Silk Dreams is online. The owner is a member here.

Also heard good things about Hairveda Methi Setiva (sp). It is a natural alternative to Aphogee 2 Step which is a hardcore treatment. havilland can tell you more.

What do you feel like your hair needs? Is it breaking? Mushy? Or you just want a preventative measure?

Killahkurlz

Aphogee is at the BSS. Aubrey's is at your local Vitamin Shoppe store, Whole Foods, or other health food stores.

Komaza is found in select retailers... check their site.

Silk Dreams is online. The owner is a member here.

Also heard good things about Hairveda Methi Setiva (sp). It is a natural alternative to Aphogee 2 Step which is a hardcore treatment. havilland can tell you more.

What do you feel like your hair needs? Is it breaking? Mushy? Or you just want a preventative measure?

I feel like my hair needs strength. I've got the moisture thing together but I feel like I'm getting too much breakage on wash day, so much so that I've decide to stretch wash day every 2 weeks

Misseyl

Aphogee as a deep protein conditioner is on top. I used it about 2/3 weeks ago and it helped with my shedding issues. I don't use it too often and will try to incorporate in into my regime, say every month or 6 weeks.

Dare~to~Dream

This is what worked for me when I started out: Ultra Black Hair Deep Conditioner every three days after shampoo for several months then used once a week after shampoo. ApHogee protein treatment (hardcore) every six weeks then as needed. I now use ApHogee 2 minute Reconstructor every week but will eventually switch back to Ultra Black Hair Deep Conditioner treatment.

Stormy

Like others I like Aphogee reconstructor too, but recently I've fallen in looove with Yes To Carrots Leave-In Conditioner! I noticed a little shedding/breakage and used this. Immediately the problem stopped! You can use it on dry hair too. I even use it for my roller sets.

GreenBloodyShoe

I like using eggs for protein treatments. I add it to my pre poo twenty minutes before I am ready to wash my hair. Just make sure you rinse it in cool water otherwise the blasted egg will cook in your hair. It won't make your hair hard or break off like most commercial products, though you should still follow up with a conditioner like honey.

NefertariBlu

Organic root stimulator replenishing pak is a light protein. I do like the hair mayo although it has got a few questionable ingredients.

I use protein conditioners weekly. my hair loves protein, it doesn't get brittle at all

Killahkurlz

It's this a lot of hair for 2 weeks of shedding or would u say that's about normal

Ari8

OP, what are your hair's properties? The rule is that fine and porous hair respond well to protein; coarse and low porosity hair can tolerate only small amounts or none at all; and medium hair can go either way.

If you're looking for strengthening, Millcreek's Biotin and Keratin conditioners are good. I use them both as daily rinse-out conditioners, but they can be used as deep treatments.

Ion Effective Care (Sally's) is very moisturizing but has just enough protein to give it a kick. It's a very light protein conditioner, IMO. If you're afraid of protein overload, it's a good first choice.

I recently tried Emergencee (practically everyday now, in the same few sections + a full treatment). Doesn't feel much like a protein as it usually leaves my hair feeling pretty smooth, silky and elastic. I haven't bothered to follow it with any moisture.

Komaza's Protein Strengthener stops breakage, but I don't care for it at all (last usage left me horribly overconditioned). In another thread, ladies were raving about it.

Ogoma

I l:love:ve curl junkie repair me (medium protein). I don't need to use a moisturizing conditioner after using it and it works well for me. A new fave is Bask Vanilla Whiskey Reparative Soak (light protein to me).

I am natural and prefer to use light or medium protein treatments at regular intervals (1x a month) and not have to use strong protein treatments ever.

Honi

There is no board.
AO GPB is a nice one.

The newest I've tried was ION reconstructor. I couldn't find Ultra Sheen Duo Tex and this was the next best thing I guess. This stuff makes my hair so soft during rinse out and afterwards. Definitely a staple.

BlueNile

Aubrey Organics GPB (thick consistency) I dilute with water in an applicator bottle because it's too thick for my fine hair but it's a very good conditioner.

Ultra Sheen Duo Tex (liquid) I will mix this with another conditioner in an applicator bottle. This stuff has been around for awhile and it's also a very good conditioner.

Ann0804

Natural hair:

I really like using a mixture of Greek yogurt, honey and olive oil once a month (medium protein) or

Gpb (light protein) once a month or

Giovanni Brazilian Keratin (light protein) once a week or

AG Fast Food leave-in conditioner it has a few proteins in it, but is still moisturizing on my hair. It can be used daily or weekly.

Killahkurlz

THANK YOU guys so much for your responses! I'm just now about to go buy some new shampoo.....I think I'll try the aphogee since it's so popular.