self relaxer-disaster

kitten73

I just did a relaxer, I used affirm regular. I based my scalp well but I burned something awful. I had to wash the relaxer out within 5 minutes it was so bad. I have my hair cut really short now and I have been realxing myself and this has never happened. I am on fire right now. Do you guys have any advice? I am sitting with conditioner in right now and I am afraid to wash it out.

Angelicus

1. rinse out that conditioner and keep on neturalizing and conditioning.

Did you drink caffeine stuff before relaxing? scratching? washing? Maybe it was an allergic reaction. Let us know.

imani97

I don't have any clue what could be going on. Did you use something different to base your scalp? Make sure that you have rinsed all of the relaxer out. Maybe you can put aloe vera on your scalp after you rinse out the conditioner?

Stormy

After you finish rinsing and everything as Anky said, and your scalp calms down some do you have any Sea Breeze? If so, pour a little of that on your scalp to prevent sores. It will sting at first, but it really works!

kitten73

weel, i was in florida last week and have been slicking my hair back with jam all week. i am sure that didn't help. i have also started using MTG which I just got this weekend.

kitten73

the dominicans always did that at the shop. i don't have any in the house but i have some Propa PH astringent, I wonder if that will work?

tweezer6

I'm willing to bet that it's the MTG. I had the same reaction when I relaxed. No burns though. Just strong burning sensations. I plan to stop using MTG a few weeks before relaxing.

If I'm not mistaken, there's even a thread that mentions some other ladies having the same reaction.

Angelicus

what I want to know is, how many days did you stop washing your hair before you relaxed your hair? Also how long did you stop using MTG before relaxing?

SUPER SWEET

Please make sure to neutralize well. The burning will should stop after a few good warm to cooler rinse.
Ps. Deja looks so cute at her Bday party.

DahomeyAhosi

I'm also pretty sure it was the MTG especially if this has never happened to you before. It happened to me and several others. There is a thread somewhere on it. Some ladies have been able to succesfully relax after MTG with no serious burning but some can't. I plan to stop using MTG at least a month before relaxing next time. I'd give it up for good but it's so good for growing hair quickly!!

kitten73

you know, i was wondering if it was that too. i know i over did it with the mtg, i have read some of the mtg threads and everyone says you only need a little. i was saturating my scalp with it.

kitten73

i think you right. i did the mtg only once but it was on sunday. i relaxed yesterday evening so that was probably too close. i will stop a few weeks before relaxing next time. i have neve burned like this in my life. right now i am at work and it is stinging like crazy. i don't know what to do. should i go home tonight and nuetralize again? this morning i let warm water run on it to wet it before putting some gel on to go to work and i was on fire just from the water. i used a gel with no alchohol and aloe vera but is still stung like i don't know what. should i use some neosporin or bacitration on my scalp? how long do you wait before starting MTG after a relaxer? i bought all that stuff and now i am afraid to put it back in my hair. my scalp feels like it is an open sore right now!!!!!!! ladies, what should i do?

kitten73

girl, i know your going to pull out the strap but i wet it that morning and slicked it down with some jam. i didn't think i combed it too much. i knew i was going to relax that night so i tried to be easy with it. i have taken out miro braid exstensions and relaxed the same day and never ever burned like this. my entire scalp even my neck is jacked up. maybe it is that MTG. i am trying to grow out a very short cut right now and i am trying to get through the in between stage. I don't have enought in the back to catch for a weave or braids yet but once i do i am weaving it up. i want to buy a wig tonight. i was thinking of applying some aloe vera on my scalp and then in the morning throwing on the wig to go to work. what do you think?

DahomeyAhosi

Honestly I didn't suffer all over burning and for symptoms as bad as the ones you are describing I would go to a dermatologist a.s.a.p.

kitten73

maybe i will nuetralize again tonight. i can't belive this happened. i don't know what to do. i thought it would have calmed down by now. i hope the little hair i have left doesnt fall out. i should have never cut it all off. short hair is more trouble. thank you so much for the compliment on deja. she had a good time. you couldn't tell her anything after i did her hair and got her dressed. LOL

nita4

Put neosporin or bacitration on your scalp and leave your hair alone. Find a very simple style and wear it until your scalp heals. Avoid excessive product useage on your hair right now. Do not cover your scalp with a wig, you want it to breath so that it heals quickly. Once it heals do not relax right away and I would stop the MTG use until I relaxed again to make sure it doesn't burn again. HTH

nita4

kitten73 said:
maybe i will nuetralize again tonight. i can't belive this happened. i don't know what to do. i thought it would have calmed down by now. i hope the little hair i have left doesnt fall out. i should have never cut it all off. short hair is more trouble. thank you so much for the compliment on deja. she had a good time. you couldn't tell her anything after i did her hair and got her dressed. LOL

One thing I used when I would burn my scalp or face (long story) is vitamin E on the sore. Don't neutralize, I think it may just irritate your scalp. You could wash your hair with diluted shampoo, use a cool rinse and put the vitamin e on your scalp if you have some. Otherwise use what you have. Eventually, it will heal. Give it a good week. You shouldn't and I hope you don't loose your hair. I've lost mine before but that was because I didn't use neutralizing shampoo.