Twistout/Braidout Products Used to...

nita4

Ladies what products do you use to define your twist? I have 4a, thin hair, and I'm 6 months post relaxer. I don't have a problem detangling and my hair seems to be doing fine.

I have been daily co-washing with NTM, adding a little Humectress upon comb out, shea butter, twisting my hair into about five flat twist, and then adding rollers to the ends for curls.

My problem. With shea butter, my hair is slightly frizzy when I take my twist out, but stiff and hard.

Without shea butter, my hair is real frizzy, but soft.

I would really like to try something water soluable, that would help eliminate frizz if possible, and define my twist, where if I had to mist my hair and re-twist I wouldn't have to add more product, or something my conditioner could remove without having to shampoo daily.

Need product recommendations, hair type and how it worked for you. Thanks.

Last edited:

Queenie

I use Leave-in conditioner and coconut/olive oil. Sometimes I use a hair polisher. Once I untwist, I don't manipulate it at all.

nita4

So, does your leave in and oils eliminate the frizz? I only manipulate to cover parts. I try not to handle, because it does cause frizz.

cminter

Hair Type: 4 a/b

I use NTM Silk Leave In Cream and a little NTM serum before I do the braids. When my braidout dries, my hair comes out moisturised, shiny, no frizz, and it smells great.

P

patient1

I've used a number of products with good results but keep in mind I don't have a relaxer:

~Vonte silk effects

~Kemi Oyl Shea Butter Pomade

~kinky-curly curling custard (takes a while to dry)

~shea butter alone

~aloe gel whipped with a little oil

~coconut oil

Those are the ones that come to mind. Randomly part your hair and you'll find less of a need to manipulate in order to conceal parts.

hth
(patient 1)

Cincysweetie

When I first braid my hair, my hair is wet and has a leave-in, oils, serum, and carrot oil on the end. I don't take them down until my hair is COMPLETELY dry, and like the others I don't manipulate. When I rebraid them at night, I re-wet my hair with a mix of water/evoo/honey/glycerin, apply NTM Silk Touch Leave-in, and carrot oil to my ends. That eliminates frizz for me and the style looks fresh and lasts for days.

nita4

Thanks ladies. I think I'll try the NTM leave in and maybe the serum. I like the daily conditioner. Also, I'm transitioning so I was thinking the relaxed part shouldn't frizz at all, but it does and the scalp poofs. Oh well.