Flat-ironing roots. Is it ok?

tweezer6

I'm trying to a new stretching technique for my hair. Is it ok to flat iron your roots once per week after a wash and deep condition?

Any help is appreciated.

caligirl

This is perfectly fine. Make sure to use a ceramic flat iron and keep the heat as low as possible. Also, only do one or two swipes.

tweezer6

Thanks Caligirl. I spray ion heat protectant on the roots and then use a Jilbere ceramic flat iron with the setting on 10. I'm only 7 weeks post relaxer but I've been using MTG and my roots are pretty thick. Hopefully this method will take me to 12 or 16 weeks.

Thanks again for replying.

foxybronx

caligirl said:
This is perfectly fine. Make sure to use a ceramic flat iron and keep the heat as low as possible. Also, only do one or two swipes.
ITA! I flat iron my roots with a ceramic iron with no problems..

I do! By doing it... I am able to stretch an extra three to four weeks. I deep condition , then carefully detangle and roller set my nappy hair, then I carefully flat iron the roots with my Chi iron. It's the only way I can comb my hair 8 weeks post relaxer!

Last edited:

shunemite

thattvgirl said:
I do! By doing it... I am able to stretch an extra three to four weeks. I deep condition , then carefully detangle and roller set my nappy hair, then I carefully flat iron the roots with my Chi iron. It's the only way I can comb my hair 8 weeks post relaxer!

How long do your roots last flat-ironed before they revert?

Flat Ironing the roots lasts About a week to week and half with no problem. Maybe less if I sweat a lot or add a lot of oil to my hair. It last even longer if I just wrap it up at night and avoid heat, sweating and hot showers. I think using a good ceramic flat iron is key. I've tried it with a pressing comb and it didn't work.

Last edited:

Ladylynn

It's okay. I have been doing this forever. I was able to stretch for 12 weeks with no problem. I use Ultra sheen satin creme press on the roots only.

tweezer6

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm encouraged that this method will work. Especially after seeing all of you ladies hair!

Gorgeoushair,

I have the Jilbere de Paris Ceramic Tools Porcelain Curved Flat Iron 1"

nita4

I have a question? What is the difference in just flat ironing your roots versus the whole length of your hair? Is it just to avoid the usage of heat? Because it would seem that while you are flat ironing you would just go ahead and do the whole length versus just the roots.

Please clarify????

Thanks

I flatiron the roots for two reasons. Because the new growth area is the only part that needs to be straightened. The rest can be curled with a roller set. The demarcation line (the area between new growth and previously relaxed hair) needs to be blended together.. .or there will be breakage. I can't comb through my hair if I have a two inch poof of new growth sitting on my head. If I flat iron the new growth ,my hair hangs flat, curly, or however I want it too, almost making it look like I have a fresh relaxer.

Second, I don't think it's necessary to flat iron the ends. It's not my ends that are unmanageable--- it's my new growth. Why cause unnecessary damage to your ends and the length of your previously relaxed hair? I try to keep heat off my ends as much as possible.

simone103

nita4 said:
I have a question? What is the difference in just flat ironing your roots versus the whole length of your hair? Is it just to avoid the usage of heat? Because it would seem that while you are flat ironing you would just go ahead and do the whole length versus just the roots.

Please clarify????

Thanks

When you flat iron only the roots you are flat ironing virgin "un-relaxed" hair. It's just like applying a relaxer where you only touch up the new growth, because you don't want to damage your hair that is already relaxed. If you flat iron the entire length of your hair that is relaxed you can potentially damage it.

shunemite

thattvgirl said:
Flat Ironing the roots lasts About a week to week and half with no problem. Maybe less if I sweat a lot or add a lot of oil to my hair. It last even longer if I just wrap it up at night and avoid heat, sweating and hot showers. I think using a good ceramic flat iron is key. I've tried it with a pressing comb and it didn't work.

Thanks! I'm gonna try that my next shampoo.

I flat ironed my roots last Sunday with my 1" FHI ceramic flat iron. It works great for me. :up: I should be able to stretch my relaxer until October by doing this every 10- 14 days and then every week when I start washing my hair weekly again.

Jewell

thattvgirl said:
I flatiron the roots for two reasons. Because the new growth area is the only part that needs to be straightened. The rest can be curled with a roller set. The demarcation line (the area between new growth and previously relaxed hair) needs to be blended together.. .or there will be breakage. I can't comb through my hair if I have a two inch poof of new growth sitting on my head. If I flat iron the new growth ,my hair hangs flat, curly, or however I want it too, almost making it look like I have a fresh relaxer.

Second, I don't think it's necessary to flat iron the ends. It's not my ends that are unmanageable--- it's my new growth. Why cause unnecessary damage to your ends and the length of your previously relaxed hair? I try to keep heat off my ends as much as possible.

ITA. I haven't used heat in 1.5 years, but I do plan on whipping out the flat iron and blowing the dust off in November. I want my hair to be bangin for my birthday. ;)

ccd

I am wondering the same thing?

Hey CandiceC......you have which FHI??

I caved in and bought a flat iron this past week(Sat).. :grin: yes I know ...but I really waited for this one and I have been working really hard, crazy hours so I treated myself...

ANy way, I used it this Sat and I liked it, however it really gets hot...so I am scared of frequent use....

I got the FHI 205RFI which is a 1" iron that heats up to 410....unfortunately it doesn't have a temperature gadge so the temp is fixed......as I got nervous about the heat I unplugged it several times once it got hot...my hair is great and seems to be repelling the heat...my roots are blended in and you wouldn't tell the difference. I use to blow out my roots with a blower so I am thinking it is the same thing.

CANDICEC which one do you have? and what kind of protection do you use?

I used Silcon mix Leavin to rollerset, then IC FAntasia has a heat protector serum, I used that..... any other suggestions

Angelicus

Can you not try to do it everyweek? Remember that the damage that you do to your roots eventually grows out/down and becomes your ends. (hope that's understandable).

btw, I flat iron my new growth when I rollerset every now and then with a CHI.

lovechic

anky said:
Can you not try to do it everyweek? Remember that the damage that you do to your roots eventually grows out/down and becomes your ends. (hope that's understandable).

btw, I flat iron my new growth when I rollerset every now and then with a CHI.
That's very understandable...and your avatar is pretty!