porosity - the forgotten step

are you aware of the pH of your products? you can select more than one option.

• I am aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 48 13.1%
  • I am not aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 128 34.9%
  • I have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I do not have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I have no clue what you're talking about

Votes: 119 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BonBon

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I use three-quarters of a teaspoon ACV in 2 cups of distilled water.

I would say to beware of all of the ACV recipes floating around this forum...some people are using 2-4 tablespoons in 2 cups of water. That's an incredibly acidic solution, and it can really wreak havoc on natural hair. HTH

Aww god I didn't even read the recipe as I didn't think it could be harmful. I used maybe 4 table spoons in 1 cup. Its gone dryish, not sure what I should do now if it is harmful:ohwell: DCing at the moment. My avc is 4% acid

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Aww god I didn't even read the recipe as I didn't think it could be harmful. I used maybe 4 table spoons in 1 cup. Its gone dryish, not sure what I should do now if it is harmful:ohwell: DCing at the moment. My avc is 4% acid
Your DC should take care of any dryness. Just use less vinegar (like one teaspoon per cup of water) and gradually increase it until you get the ratio you like. I need to get back to doing it mixed in a tea once I get this shedding under control.

Here is a great thread about it: ACV rinses are strengthening my hair....

cocoagirl

So if you use PC after wash and before protein and moisturizing conditioners, should you NOT use heat with the conditioners? Should one only use heat with their conditioner if they use PC as the very last step? I'z confused...

missyanne

Wish I found this website before I cut my hair:( I got tired of fighting the dryness and thought it was damaged hair and just shaved it off.

adamseve

Posters, thank so much for this information. I'm thoroughly confused, but I think I may have found the reason why my hair is breaking even with all the TLC I give it. I'm also thinking I may have figured out why my ends feel rough, but the roots don't. I also think I know why my hair won't stay detangled even when I've detangled it under running water and put it in twists.

I want to make sure I got this so please bear with me:

1. Shampoo hair weekly with a moisturizing shampoo w pH balance of 7.

2. DC with JessiCurl, Mixed Chicks, Darcy's Botanical, or homemade DC. All have pH balance of 5-6.

3. Rinse with tap water that has pH of 7.4. Final rinse with ACV that has pH of 3-4.

5. Apply LIC that has pH balance of 3.

As I'm styling my hair dries a bit and shrinks with tangles even after detangling. So, I'll wet with tap water in my spray bottle that has a pH of 7. From my understanding of the pH balance it will make the hair bushy instead of curling. Also, the water doesn't seem to help when I try to detangle again even though it's wet & I use a wide tooth comb; thus I'm seeing breakage.

So, here's what I've concluded:

1. I have normal porosity hair since it didn't take much to relax my hair in the past, less than 15-20 minutes, if that long. However, the high pH balance in the water is making it overly porous, and thus not retaining moisture, breaking, and rough ends.

If that's not correct, then it seems that my natural hair may be highly porous.

2. Apply the ACV rinse BEFORE the DC to retain more moisture.

Am I headed in the right direction? Keep in mind that I already baggy/ GHE at least 3x week and M&S every 3 days w/ my LIC & combo oil (hemp, EVCO, EVOO, castor oil, jojoba).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited: