My temple....

beyondcute

God gave me a healthy body. I want to thank him by keeping it beuatiful. 2 things...... I bite my lips. Its a horrible habit and I cant seem to stop. I chew on the inside of my lips like crazy. Also I want a tatoo. Nothign sacriligeous but a sybol of a love one that passed away. Can I have soem opnions and scriptures for ym situaiton. really need help breakign the lip biting habit....

Sweet C

As far as the tattoos are concerned, there was a thread about it not to long ago, and you can check it out here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=65234&highlight=tattoes

As far as the lip thing goes, is it something you do like all the time out of habit or do you do it for something specific (if you don't know pay attention to the times you do it)? For example, I have a terrible habit of biting my nails when I am either deep in thought (i.e. studying) about something or I'm nervous (and I am still working on this one). For a while I stopped and then I started chewing on tops of pens to overcompensate. Now I try to make myself more conscious of when I do it and try to rectify it. I just recently gave myself a semi-manicure, and for the last 4 days, I have yet to chew on my nails :yay: so maybe I need to start doing this more often.

beyondcute

Yeah alot of other people responded to the other thread but not to my question specifically. Ill just re-read them and see what they think and hopefully try to apply it ot my situation.... As far as the lip biting I cathc myself doing it and i stop but at the end of the day Ive bitten they raw. Anybody know any scriptures for habit breaking?

Sosoothing

beyondcute said:
Yeah alot of other people responded to the other thread but not to my question specifically. Ill just re-read them and see what they think and hopefully try to apply it ot my situation.... As far as the lip biting I cathc myself doing it and i stop but at the end of the day Ive bitten they raw. Anybody know any scriptures for habit breaking?

(Bumping) Im intersted in knowing too.

nita4

Leviticus 19:28 (New International Version)

28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

fivefoursweetie

nita4 said:
Leviticus 19:28 (New International Version)

28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.

OK, so I read the other threads regarding this topic of piercing and tatooing...I just have some questions, and I guess comments, sort of :)

As far as the Old Testiment scriptures like the one metioned above...Do you all believe that everything in the Old Testament is meant for us to follow to the exact letter now? I DO believe that the Bible was inspired of God. However, I feel that there was context around why God made certain rules for certain groups of people then. It seems that with the Bible at times there is a lot of picking and choosing regarding what we should attribute to following in todays times. And in the New Testament a lot of the later books were letters written to certain churchs to address certain issues that that particular church was dealing with. However, what is your thoughts on if we are expected to take those in a global sense, and apply it as rule for every Christian now?

I personally have 2 tatoos, 5 holes in one ear and 3 on the other (which I let all but 2 holes close up), had a tongue ring (took it out though 5 years ago), had my belly button peirced (when I got pregnant, took it out, and the hole closed up). If I am being truly honest, yes I did these things at the times I did them because that is just what I wanted to do. Not because it was a fade and I was trying to be like the world, but because I liked it and wanted it (like when you see someone with bangin hair color and like it and try to get it too). My last tatoo which I got a year ago was a rose in honor of my grandmother whose name was Rosa and died. My tatoos I got was never done for display. Most people I know don't even know I have them (they are on my sholder blades). When my tongue was peirced, my dad never knew for 6 months, and never knew until someone pointed it out to him. Now I never thought that having these things would increase my witnessing potential, or hurt it for that matter.
I guess I think it is a shame that people stereotype people because of these things, and then label them as being "off the world". Who picks and chooses what is of the world and not of the world. I believe that I have a very deep relationship with Christ and that he doesn't look at my body and frown, but looks at my heart and smiles.
I'm just wondering what y'all thoughts are.
And just to note...I personally don't think that it matters if you do or don't have these things...I believe that if you have a personal conviction about it, then maybe you should refrain. However, if you don't, then that is between you and God.