Why the natural rebellion all of a sudden!?!

tropicexotic

free @ last
my hair has it's ups and downs just like everyone elses, but i haven't been tempted to relax again. i had that time where i was relaxed and my hair was long and healthy enough, but now i'm enjoying the freedom natural hair gives me. i think to some extent the grass will always look greener on the other side, but i remember the problems i've had w/ my relaxed hair. being natural, i've never enjoyed my hair more--even with the single strand knots ;)

to me relaxers require a certain type of dependency/uncertainty that i couldn't go back to, not when being natural feels so good.

Last edited:

Ms Red

I just made 6 months of transitioning... and yes, it has gotten a little rough here and there. One week ago, I was at my wits end and no style seemed to work on my hair. I didn't want to use direct heat [i.e. pressing/flatironing], so I asked a friend to make a ponytail for me (not clip on but pinned using weaving hair). I plan to keep it in for 1 more week and it has allowed be to take a break from it for a while.

I am seeing good results since I stopped applying chemicals to my hair in April. :)

SocialWorker29

BBabe said:
Natural is soooo much maintanence. The tangles are also a pain. It would be nice for once to have hairdressers not fight over who is NOT going to do my hair - they dread it more than me lol.
:lol: :lol: Okay, I had to laugh at that one!!! I remember sitting in African braid shops, and even though I didn't speak their language, I just knew they were arguing over who was going to braid my hair.
Well tommorow, I'm getting a relaxer. BIG change for me. I started feeling this way about 6-8 months ago, and I've taken that long to make up my mind. Right now, I just want something different. And I know in a few years, I'll do another BC and go back natural, locs specifically. So I don't know if I'm necessarily rebelling, just changing teams for a little while.:D ..LOL

Last edited:

asummertyme

my whole point of going natural was to grow my hair out for 2 yrs and then get a text...i dont wanna go completly strait again..i havent dealt with my natural hair yet..i did the big chop maybe 3 mos ago..its a ll new to me..

nita4

I wouldn't say rebellion, just in need of a change. I just returned from spending 10 days in Mexico. It was hot and humid. I was on a cruise. I didn't want to braid my hair, so I packed two wigs, a flat iron and my curling iron. I hadn't used heat in months, but packed these "just in case". Boy, I'm glad I did. I had been transitioning for 9 months and was dead set on going fully natural. However, maintaining my hair while traveling is a problem. My husband likes to travel so I'm always on the road and I honestly didn't have the nerve to cut my hair short, so I relaxed it. I was tired of looking jacked and having to go through so much in order for my hair to look right. Funny thing is I still wear natural styles. I've gotten use to daily rinsing, no heat, styling in flat twist, taking that out and going. It actually looks better too.

Down side: the chemical. Plus, I did experience two burns, and smelling like relaxer afterwards.

Plus side: IMO the ease of maintaining my hair, especially while on the road.

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

I was tempted more in the past when I'd see beautiful texturized or relaxed hair, but something always stopped me from going all the way. I know that with my fine hair, I could never achieve the results that some of these ladies are achieving. I have a goal, and for me, staying natural is the way to that goal.

These days, if I think about relaxing, it's the same thing as thinking that I want a short spikey hair style, or a weave. It's like a style option that I forgot about. I love my natural hair, and I love what it can do. And it's finally, FINALLY picking up after 2 years of trial and error since finding "hair boards."

I'm expecting big thangs, y'all ;)

SocialWorker29

O well. It looks like I won't be making any changes, not today anyway. I tried a new style, it's kinda a blown out fro and I'm gonna rock it this weekend. I like it a lot, so I'm not gonna may any radical changes just yet...;)

thickness

I have a weave now...I had to do something before I did something that I might regret. Don't get me wrong, I love my natural hair. I just hate having to do something to it all the time. I work out a lot, so I have to do my hair. When I was relaxed, I could just wrap my hair at night in about 2 min. I really miss that ease. I can't wash-n-go, does not work for me (too many tangles). The only natural style that looks good on me is the twist-out or braid-out. So, I'm going to wait until my hair grows out some more. My hair was around this length when I broke down and texturized 2 years ago. I just remember how bad I felt afterwards...I definitely don't want to feel like that again. I also keep hearing my husband's mouth. I made the mistake of saying if he ever cut his dreds, I would perm my hair. Well, the dreds are gone and he keeps throwing hints. Hopefully the weave will keep him quiet for a minute...:ohwell:

CynamonKis

I have gone back and forth on this issue over the years. After having been natural for five years, I decided to relax because I was tired of struggling with my hair. After I relaxed, I wanted my natural, healthy hair back so I haven't relaxed in 1 year, 8 months now. There is definitely a tension between wanting the healthy feeling of natural hair vs. the ease of relaxed hair.

CurleeDST

I guess it just depends on what is considered ease. For me there can be ease found in both natural and relaxing if you go with the texture vs. against it. What I mean by that is, for natural hair, it can be VERY easy if:

1. I shake-n-go vs. straightening on a regular basis
2. I 2-strand twist and then twist out for the crazy sexy cool look
3. I play up the kink and curls vs. against them

For relaxed hair it is easy if:

1. straight pony tails is what I want to sport - no thought process there and can be very good for minimalism and protection
2. air dry and again pull back in pony tail or with head band (no heat, no breakage)
3. Heat only on wash day and then pull back in pony tail (how easy is that?)

There are pros and cons to each but in the end if you work with it vs. against I think regardless of your preference at the time they both can work.

For me relaxed hair makes me look older while curly makes me definitely younger looking. Relaxed hair tends to look more "sophisticated" when it comes to sporting suits and evening gowns.

Curly hair looks more powerful and adds a bit of whimsy to corporate suits and evening gowns.

In all, natural hair wins hands down though b/c that provides the most flexibility with going back and forth between curly and straight. It is also the healthiest (sans permanent color).

imstush

bellezanegra826 said:
have you seen this season's america's next top model? The ladies with natural hair have some of the best looking hairstyles i've seen in a long time.

To be honest I need to tape that season, because I have definitely been thinking about relaxing and they are keeping me from doing it!!

CurleeDST

Yeah girl - natural hair provides more options. YOu can go straight 1 day, back nappy the next, braided, twisted, twist out, coil out, pin up.....all in 1 week if you like. Grow it out longer and the options tend to increase.

balisi

No natural hair rebellion over here! I just don't see going back to relaxers.

In my best Jennifer Holliday imitation, "And I am tellin' you...I'm not goin. Even tho' the ruff times are showin,' there's just no way, there's noooo way!"

Seriously, my natural hair and I have gone too far to turn back now. I really enjoy the versatility, strong healthy condition and beauty of it. When I want to wear it straight (which is extremely rare), I can get a swingy, silky look from my trusty flat iron. After about five days of straight hair, I'm so ready for my natural twists, wash'n go, braids, puffs, etc.

oglorious1

Mixologist
Hair buddy MsPortugal has joined the ranks...I tried to persuade her not to do it...but no turning back now....Natural for me and always will be...

MeechUK

MeechUK
sprungonhairboards said:
Ery'body wanna texturizer or a relaxer now! (Myself included :lol: )

I know everybody has their own different reasons but I found it strange that seemingly all of a sudden alot of naturals, surprising ones too, are crossing back over to the chemical side. Is it the weather, something in the air, too many beautiful relaxed albums, what? :lol:

There is nothing wrong with this! As a natural retaining length for the first time in years, I am very tempted with the thought of going back to using a relaxer. Lets face it, on the plus side there is the convenience of manageability but on the negative side for me the breakage and regular use of chemicals! I have been there and glad to say I will not be switching back, but hey this board is about helping each other to educate ourselves on how to take the best care of our hair, whether natural or relaxed!

MeechUK