How many AA women you know are MBL or WL

fyb87

I know/knew plenty women with hair between MBL and WL! I am unsure if you would count them though. I'm black. However, my mother is bi-racial (2b/2c never had a relaxer) and my dad is black. So would it be okay to count my mom's side of the family where there is a mixture? Also, I am from New Orleans and some of the girls could have had a mixture in the family. But, they considered themselves black. If that is okay I know/knew over 40 or so. Growing up from elementary to high school girls with short hair (not at least APL) got talked about since they weren't in the majority (I know that's bad, but it's true). :ohwell:

As of today, I only know family members which is about 10. As they have gotten older and now have more cropped hair. Outside of family I only know about a dozen AA women and none of them do.

Oh, I forgot to say at least half were natural. I didn't know too many people growing up that had relaxers. Only my aunt's children have relaxers (not sure why). No one else on my mom's side has them.

ladylibra

Since locs don't count zero (and even then the answer was only 1-waist length btw). Now, if there was a thread about how many balding, traction alopecia having, receding hairline due to braids but still get the braids again anyway because they like to pretend that my broken edges are baby hair and press them down with Let's Jam having women I know, I could talk for days.

I'm sorry but this was too funny! :lol:

Do you guys think that if AA women take proper care of there hair, that anyone could reach MBL or WL?? I am very curious.

This thread is very interesting but I can honestly say that the white women who I know don't have WL or BSL hair either.

I think the difference is WW usually choose to not wear their hair that long, whereas most AA women don't even think that their hair can grow past APL.:ohwell:

Yes and no. I have only one WW friend/co-worker with thick, gorgeous hair that is almost hip length. I overheard an entire conversation by the rest of my WW co-workers about how they wish they could grow hair that long. None of them are past APL. Granted, they all color their hair, get trims every 6 weeks, and use flat irons/curling irons like it's going out of style. Whereas the one with almost hip length hair washes and straightens her hair once a week, doesn't color, and keeps it in a bun.

Waist length hair is uncommon in the general population. Most people keep it bsl or shorter.

ITA :yep:

Sade'

I don't know any, and most the women I know don't want, or say they don't want hair that long.

A lot of my friends who say they don't want it that long figure they can't grow it that long. So they give up before trying. Or say they can't do nuthin with all that hair. Then turn around and get a WL weave.

laurend

Quite a few actually, but most of them are Muslims who wear hijab. (I'm referring to American born Blacks too) Some are relaxed, some natural...but their hair isn't subjected to many of the things many Black women put hair thru.

That's quite interesting. So they do protective hairstyles because they have to wear a hijab?

Neith

In my personal life I do not know any Black Women with MBL or WL hair.

I don't know any white or Asian woman that have MBL or WL hair.

I know 3 Hispanic Ladies with MBL to Hip Length hair.

Not that this MEANS anything. Just cause I don't know them doesn't mean they aren't out there! lol

I never really thought about it before.

If the question was APL or BSL, I would know more people :yep:

Imo, BSL is long enough for lots of people. Many people don't have ultra long hair goals.

Duchesse

There's this one girl in my neighborhood..she's quite rough around the edges and pretty gitto'. As long as I remember she has always worn her hair in buns and headties. Her hair is probably approaching waist now, it's so pretty! I'm thinking 4a/b relaxed. If she didn't scare me, I would ask her regimen.

The other 2 I went to high school with. They were both 3c/4a and natural wearing braids and twists. They are both currently now relaxed and from MBL-WL.

ceebee3

There's this one girl in my neighborhood..she's quite rough around the edges and pretty gitto'. As long as I remember she has always worn her hair in buns and headties. Her hair is probably approaching waist now, it's so pretty! I'm thinking 4a/b relaxed. If she didn't scare me, I would ask her regimen.

The other 2 I went to high school with. They were both 3c/4a and natural wearing braids and twists. They are both currently now relaxed and from MBL-WL.

LMAO! :lachen::lachen:

babyb900

Let me ask a question. Do I not count because my dad is Haitian and my mom is Dominican/Iroquois/AA???

If I do, then:

Me!!!! I cut my hair to neck length a while ago. I'm about shoulder length now....My hair was always MBL. I think I'm just going to grow it to BSL for now.

laurend

Let me ask a question. Do I not count because my dad is Haitian and my mom is Dominican/Iroquois/AA???

If I do, then:

Me!!!! I cut my hair to neck length a while ago. I'm about shoulder length now....My hair was always MBL. I think I'm just going to grow it to BSL for now.

Ok, you can count yourself, so that means you only know one person:lachen:

buddhas_mom

I know 1. She actually just cut her hair to WL. It was to her butt she got it cut recently because she got tired of sitting on it.

mariofmagdal

I consider myself and my family members AA, heck we do have mixed blood but we vary in grades of hair, but most of them/us has mb/wl and longer hair.

CurlyMoo

This what I got from Sistaslick's article about terminal length.

The Dreadlocks Question
In discussions about length potential, you often hear folks bring up the fact that dreadlocks grow so long that they must be a testament to the great lengths that we can achieve. I believe in the potential of every black woman to grow their hair to amazing lengths, but dreadlocks are not a good example in this case. While it is true that dreadlocks can and do reach great lengths, there is also a catch. Dreadlocks are unique in that they do not represent true "root to ends" length. They are the accumulation of shed, broken, and growing hairs matted together. Imagine if all of the shed or broken hair you ever had in the span of a year or in a lifetime were woven together! You too would have hair well down your back. This is the science behind loc'ing. Those hairs that are dropped are "locked" into your locs.

Interestingly, there is a process by which locs can successfully be undone or unloc'd, preserving quite a bit of the natural length. But much of the hair is still lost to the process at the end of the day, and waist length or floor length locs simply do not translate into waist length of floor length loose hair.

Here's the link to the article. http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...ngth_and_the_role_of_genetics_pg5.html?cat=69

ok so it agrees with my earlier statements. The length will be there but not exactly where the locs were. Most people just cut their locs. I agree that the process of unravelling the locs will result in hair loss.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Growing up my best friend had WL hair now that we are older she keeps it at about BSL. She is Creole from Louisiana natural 3c

gissellr78

Honestly in real life i know one AA here at work with full BSL that can easily be MBL if she wants and other than that....well and myself (MBL) but I am a black Hispanic (dominican)...My mother's side is all black originally from antigua with 4/a/c/z mix and my dad side is dominican and puerto rican with a 2/b/c mix (dont know if that matters:lachen:)

Only Latin,White and Asians that i know...

Last edited:

laurend

Honestly in real life i know one AA here at work with full BSL that can easily be MBL if she wants and other than that....well and myself (MBL) but I am a black Hispanic (dont know if that matters:lachen:)

Only Latin,White and Asians that i know...

Are you Cuban, Dominican or from Panama?

LunadeMiel

Most of my aunts and female members of my maternal side are MBL and longer. They are Haitian so I guess that doesn't count.

Last edited: