Curlformers on dry hair!

Iluvsmuhgrass

You guys... I just had to say that just in case you don't wet set, you can definitely slap these puppies up into dry hair! You won't be sorry! YAY! :grin:

tricie

Me 2! I just got some; I did my hair tonight, but since I didn't want to experiment tonight, I didn't use 'em. Would love to try on dry hair. Post them pics, Iluvs! :grin:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
You guys... I just had to say that just in case you don't wet set, you can definitely slap these puppies up into dry hair! You won't be sorry! YAY! :grin:
ITA!! Doing them on dry hair is a definate! As a matter of a fact, I haven't done them on my wet hair as of yet.

MizAvalon:: They are easy to sleep on too because they are very bendable. You may have to prop your pillow up a bit, but it can be done and comfortably too:yep:

MyTie

Hi, lurker here. I tried it on my dry hair last night. I did sleep with them. I like the result. In some ways, better than wet and in other ways, not so much.

I am about 9 weeks post relaxer, so my ng is running wild. When I washed and put the curlformers on wet hair, I loved the way my end were curled. But, I hated my roots because they looked so nappy.

So, I pressed my hair and put the curlformers on dry hair. I love the look, but the curl isn't as defined even though I had them in for a whole 12 hours. It looks more wavy as if I used my deep wave iron. My roots are pretty and my hair is shiny. I would have liked for the curl at the ends to be more defined, but it still looks nice.

I don't have pics, but I can take some this evening.

bgsix

ITA!! Doing them on dry hair is a definate! As a matter of a fact, I haven't done them on my wet hair as of yet.

MizAvalon:: They are easy to sleep on too because they are very bendable. You may have to prop your pillow up a bit, but it can be done and comfortably too:yep:

Spill the beans!! What products did you use? Did you a dryer at all to "set" the curls?

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Hi, lurker here. I tried it on my dry hair last night. I did sleep with them. I like the result. In some ways, better than wet and in other ways, not so much.

I am about 9 weeks post relaxer, so my ng is running wild. When I washed and put the curlformers on wet hair, I loved the way my end were curled. But, I hated my roots because they looked so nappy.

So, I pressed my hair and put the curlformers on dry hair. I love the look, but the curl isn't as defined even though I had them in for a whole 12 hours. It looks more wavy as if I used my deep wave iron. My roots are pretty and my hair is shiny. I would have liked for the curl at the ends to be more defined, but it still looks nice.

I don't have pics, but I can take some this evening.
I totally understand what you're describing. Next time you do them on your dry hair, try to pinch the former open and push up while your pulling the hook thingy down and that will bring the former very close to your roots and lay them down alittle more. When I did mine, I left them in for about 5-6 hours. For me, the curls were very nice and defined, but as the day went on, I ended up with waves by the end of the way (Okay, it's cuz I couldn't keep my hands out of my hair:rolleyes:) Anyway, with drysets, they don't last nearly as long as wetsets. I will be trying a wetset soon. I was afraid of doing it the wet way, but I'm still gonna try it.:yep:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Spill the beans!! What products did you use? Did you a dryer at all to "set" the curls?
I washed, DCed, and applied a little ORS Olive Oil- in the jar. I blowdried my hair (with comb attachment:blush::grin:) and then I put the curlformers onto my hair and went to sleep (about 5-6 hours) That was it.:yep: When I got up in the morning, I took the 'formers out, and fingercombed. They are so simple to use, it's ridiculous!:yep:

FeelinIt

Me 2! I just got some; I did my hair tonight, but since I didn't want to experiment tonight, I didn't use 'em. Would love to try on dry hair. Post them pics, Iluvs! :grin:

I'm 100% natural and getting a nice straight curly look requires me to press my hair first. So my routine is shampoo, condition and dry with a blowdryer then press in sections. After that, I'll moisturize the ends with a light oil and dry roll my hair and leave them in overnight or sit under a dryer for a few minutes. Because I'm super paraniod about puffage, I'll keep my hair wrapped in a scarf sometimes with the rollers in depending on what kind of rollers they are and then once I get to work remove and style. It always looks like I have a perm and they will last a week. Drawback, I have to constantly re-roll them at night to keep the style but it works!

I'm sure it will work just fine on dry hair. Just make sure your ends are clipped and neat.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Did you just sleep with them in?

Sure did. They're no where near as uncomfortable as flexi-rods! I did the top and baggied the back. I wore a french roll and took the rollers out. Voila! instant do!

I'll have to take pics when I get batteries for my camera.

BTW there's a trick to putting these in. I hold the end open while I'm sliding it onto my hair. Also you pull OUT NOT DOWN. If you pull down you'll be apt to get more tangles and breakage. Took me a few times but I figured it out. :yep:

Iluvsmuhgrass

I AGREE!!...what products did u use on dry hair? Did u use a setting lotion at all?

NO! Really simple regimen! Girl I just put a little warm coconut oil in and rolled it up. It worked well. I'd imagine you could use a little setting lotion on it if you wanted the sets to last longer.... but I don't have a problem with wearing them to bed at night like rollers. I have to be careful because these babies have tension!

~~HoneyComb~~

I can't wait to see pics! I wondered about these with dry hair. I know the results are equally stunning with relaxed and natural hair, but I wondered it you can re-apply them at night, let them set over night and wear the style again the following day, and so on. I'm glad they are not as uncomfortable as the flexirods, I tried to sleep in them once :angry2:

Isis

Using them on dry hair sounds pretty interesting. I wonder if it still gets the roots straight when done on airdried hair...

cocochanty

do these things damage the hair? I mean since your lifting the cuticle up when you slide it on the hair. You know?

Iluvsmuhgrass

I did a quick job because I was a little lazy this weekend. I only put them in the front with moisturizer (which caused the curls to be more relaxed.) I'm not as satisfied with these but I'm putting these up so that you can get a general idea. They weren't hard to sleep in but I wouldn't recommend putting them in too close to the scalp (to avoid pulling). They're easy to put in.

This is how I put them in..

This is how I wrap my hair up at night in a silk scarf... the calcium and msm I'm taking is doing wonders for my nails.

My partial updo...

Iluvsmuhgrass

btw my hair is cut into layers. Shorter in the front and longer in the back. HTH

This was a pic from when I was 3 months post. It didn't get my 4a/b roots straight in all areas... but this was my first attempt too.

Last edited:

Isis

I did a quick job because I was a little lazy this weekend. I only put them in the front with moisturizer (which caused the curls to be more relaxed.) I'm not as satisfied with these but I'm putting these up so that you can get a general idea. They weren't hard to sleep in but I wouldn't recommend putting them in too close to the scalp (to avoid pulling). They're easy to put in.

This is how I put them in..

This is how I wrap my hair up at night in a silk scarf... the calcium and msm I'm taking is doing wonders for my nails.

My partial updo...

Thank you for sharing all of these hair pics. You did a beautiful job! :yep:

Iluvsmuhgrass

Thanks! It didn't take me long at all... I was running late for church and figured, hey since I'm already late let me take a few pics :lol: