How Do You Wash Your Hair in Sections or Plaits?

LovelyLionessa

I always wash in braids, it's an absolute must for me. I apply my DC to dry hair, then put my hair in 4 braids. When it comes time to wash, I rinse out the DC by each section under the shower stream and rebraid and move on to the next section. Then I shampoo with a nozzle tip applicator focusing on my scalp.

After rinsing, I take down all the braids squeeze out the excess water, towel dry, apply conditioner, and rebraid. After allowing it to sit while I finish showering, then comes the comb out process. I undo the braids one at a time, comb under the shower, rebraid and move on to the next section. This saves so much hair!

Embyra

i havent had a relaxer in over a year and the one time i didnt wash in small sections i lost A TON of hair on one side of my head which im sure is much thinner than the other because of this :wallbash:

i washed my hair the other night my hair was in small twist and i applied my conditioner diectly on the twist worked like a charm!

i think this is the key for people who want to transition to natural without the big chop :yep:

hillytmj

I've been washing my hair in sections every since I joined the LHCF. I use my fingers to make 4sections of hair (2 in the front/2 in the back). I use a jaw clip to hold each section (4 total).

To wash, I take down one section, lather up and rinse 2x, and then put the jaw clip back on that section. Then I repeat with the next section.

Washing in sections has been a lifesaver for me! My tangles have severely decreased with this method. Washing my hair under the bathtub faucet has also made detangling easier (due to the increased water pressure compared to a shower). :yep:

PrincessLinzz

I love you ladies...I tried washing in braids for the first time and I had very little hair in my comb...Well I think so (see for yourself). It worked so well. Thank you, I will be doing this from now on.

Attachments

• comb detangle.jpg
    comb detangle.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 20
  • after detangle.jpg
    after detangle.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 25

KrystalClear

I'm going to try this as well. My hair is VERY thick and heavy now. I can only imagine how much I will need this when it gets long.

amwcah

My entire wash process is done in plaits. I have about 6-7 plaits on each side of my head.

Actually, I have had the same plaits for about a month now because I just wear scarves, wigs, or hats. I take my plaits out once per week to detangle. While my plaits are in I massage my scalp, moisturize, and seal.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
During the process, do the braids begin to unravel? Do you put a scrunchee or band at the end to keep the braids intact? I'd like to start using this process as I get nearer to APL, but my braids/twists unravel automatically as water begins to smooth thru it....

This is my question as well. I tried to wash in sections but the braids unraveled :ohwell:

Khaiya

I do it like KisseS except that i take down each braid one at a time to apply my condish and then braid them back up. Then i leave the braids in until i wash it all out. It takes maybe an extra 3 minutes but i feel the condish gets in there better that way.

ETA: I also put elastic bands on my ends as loosely as possible so i dont rip any hair out when i'm taking them out.

Last edited:

aa9746

I swear by this method, I am 12 months post, and washing in sections has allowed me to hang onto my relaxed ends, avoid splits, and my "detangling" time is around 5-10 minutes for my entire head.

I usually wear my hair straight so pre-wash it is already detangled. I part my hair down the middle of my head (hairline to nape), and then further divided those halves into 3 sections each. This leaves me with 6 sections. I have experimented with smaller sections, but 6 seems to be the magic number to allow me to adequately get to my scalp, smaller braids tend to be too tight for this.

I leave my braids in for the entire washing process, prepoo, shampoo and deep condition. This is key! My hair never ever gets a chance to tangle through the entire process, so combing at the end is so easy! I was skeptical at first about DC'ing in braids, I wasn't convinced that the product would thoroughly coat my strands, but it works! I use an applicator bottle with a nozzle to get down near the roots, and I always DC with a hooded dryer so this may help the product to adequately reach the inner strands.

In the end because my hair never had a chance to tangle, "detangling" is as simple as running the comb through each section to get rid of any minor tangling, and then I run my knock-off denman through to remove any shed hair. It takes 5-8 minutes, at the most 10 if I had been wearing a textured style the previous week.

Washing in plaits is the way to go for me! Less manipulation and more retention. It really works:yep:

Ronnieaj

I wash in braids too. I started doing it after reading about it here, and it really is a lifesaver, for the entire washing/conditioning process. I will prepoo my hair and braid it, and wash with diluted shampoo using an applicator bottle. I also take each braid down to put conditioner in it, that's normally when I detangle it as well, and then get under the steamer. After I rinse it all out, I take down each individual braid to pour my acv rinse over it, and typically I'll just pin the section down instead of rebraiding, but all the hard work's done by then. I think it's an absolute must for natural hair!

a_shoe_6307

Right now I do not wash in sections because my hair is too short, but as my hair is getting longer I realize that I will be needing to get back to that method soon.

However, when I was APL - MBL I always washed in braids.

I would braid my hair in 4 - 6 sections (more the longer it was, less the shorter) and wet my head. Then I would undo every section individually, detangle, shampoo, condition, detangle again, and then rebraid it.

It was the only way I could wash my hair without it becoming a matted, tangled mess.

PinkyD

I think I will try this. I am in the Lose minimal hair while detangling challenge, so I will def try this my next wash. I'll so how 6 braids work with the whole wash process.

Mandy4610

OP, thank you so much for starting this thread. I am doing some personal challenges including Low manipulation, easier detangling regimen and no heat for stretching my hair. I have been drying my hair in braids, but I have never tried washing and DCing in braids.
I swear by this method, I am 12 months post, and washing in sections has allowed me to hang onto my relaxed ends, avoid splits, and my "detangling" time is around 5-10 minutes for my entire head.

I usually wear my hair straight so pre-wash it is already detangled. I part my hair down the middle of my head (hairline to nape), and then further divided those halves into 3 sections each. This leaves me with 6 sections. I have experimented with smaller sections, but 6 seems to be the magic number to allow me to adequately get to my scalp, smaller braids tend to be too tight for this.

I leave my braids in for the entire washing process, prepoo, shampoo and deep condition. This is key! My hair never ever gets a chance to tangle through the entire process, so combing at the end is so easy! I was skeptical at first about DC'ing in braids, I wasn't convinced that the product would thoroughly coat my strands, but it works! I use an applicator bottle with a nozzle to get down near the roots, and I always DC with a hooded dryer so this may help the product to adequately reach the inner strands.

In the end because my hair never had a chance to tangle, "detangling" is as simple as running the comb through each section to get rid of any minor tangling, and then I run my knock-off denman through to remove any shed hair. It takes 5-8 minutes, at the most 10 if I had been wearing a textured style the previous week.
WOW, thank you so much for bing so clear in your description of your regimen. This is so helpful. I am going to try this and hopefully I can still get my scalp clean.
Do you ever wash your hair loose every nce in while just make sure your scalp is clean?

During the process, do the braids begin to unravel? Do you put a scrunchee or band at the end to keep the braids intact? I'd like to start using this process as I get nearer to APL, but my braids/twists unravel automatically as water begins to smooth thru it....
This would be my concern. I guess I am gonna have to get myself some ouchless bands or something

Wow, I feel like you read my mind and articulated my exact washing routine over the years to the letter!! Great explanation:yep:

Only difference is with me, more braids are better 10 is the magic number for me:grin:
10 will probably be my magic number also. I try my hair in 10 braids so washing will probably be in 10 also.

taj

I always wash my hair in braids while stretching. Using this method makes it easier. The only difference is that I don't keep it braided during the entire process. I'll have to try it! Thanks for the tips!!!

beans4reezy

Again, at 43 weeks post this week. There is no way I can wash my hair unless its braided in sections- I'd lose way too much hair.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
sounds good. i need to try this because it is near impossible for me to clean my scalp good. i'm 11 months post and getting through all the new growth is a hassle. its crazy because when i was natural i had no problem getting to my scalp. ♥

Hair_Goddess

Pre-poo is kinda like a hot oil treatment. You saturate your hair with a certain oil and leave it on for a while, then rinse it out. For example I normally pre-poo with coconut oil and put on a plastic shower cap and let it sit for an hour or more. Then I rinse it out and style. Some people will shampoo, but I don't because it defeats the purpose (IMO).

Hope that helps.

Agreed! Shampooing after you pre-poo defeats the purpose. This Dominican salon I used to go to would always "post poo" my hair with this avocado rinse. In other words, they would apply the post poo after my deep conditioner, comb it through and rinse it out immediately. From there I would go to the stylist's chair for a roller set.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
washing in sections was really nice. i finally got my scalp nice and clean. it feels soooo good. aaahh. big sigh of relief. ♥

Lesha

Now that my hair is longer I have no choice but to wash it in 2 sections. it is a must or it will be a disaster in the end!

Janet'

I divide my hair into 6 sections, pre-tangle, and twist...Then I wash in sections and twists...It's the BEST thing that I EVER could have done for my hair!

Miss AJ

I washed my hair in 4 loosely braided sections when it was longer. I followed the growafrohairlong.com shampoo method and for conditioning i would unbraid each section, apply conditioner and loosely braid it back up and left it braided when it was time to rinse it out.

babayred_86

I've tried both and realized that plaits are the way to go. It was just so much faster than having to twist each section up.

BrooklynSouth

I'm deep conditioning now on six twists, dry hair, since 11:30am{cannot shower it out yet-cannot miss FED-EX guy:look:!!} with Nunaat Chocolate-my second go-round with this con. Easier to do a detangling comb out individually. I'll do the one twist at a time rinse out once my delivery arrives.

BrooklynSouth

Pre-poo is kinda like a hot oil treatment. You saturate your hair with a certain oil and leave it on for a while, then rinse it out. For example I normally pre-poo with coconut oil and put on a plastic shower cap and let it sit for an hour or more. Then I rinse it out and style. Some people will shampoo, but I don't because it defeats the purpose (IMO).

Hope that helps.

I've tried it both ways, agree totally.

Nasdaq_Diva

I put about 5-6 loose plaits to my head. I co-wash in the sections, massaging each section. When it comes to DC, I apply the conditioner, massage it in really good. Then, I take each plait down and detangle it, then plait it back up. Then, I rinse and voila! I've been doing this for almost a year now. I admit I do have moments when I slip up and don't wash in sections and my hair yells at me for it later lol.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
washing in sections was really nice. i finally got my scalp nice and clean. it feels soooo good. aaahh. big sigh of relief. ♥

i think i washed in sections that one time, then forgot about it. :rolleyes: anyway, the last two washes, i've done them in sections. i like it because it makes it easy for me to get to my scalp- my twa ain't so tiny anymore. and i like that i can undo one section at a time and start twisting.