My first experience with SILK ELEMENTS MILD RELAXER!

Crystalicequeen123

Well, I just got my 15 week post hair relaxed yesterday with Silk Elements MILD relaxer w/Shea Butter.

I normally use Design Essentials Mild w/Shea butter since this relaxer hasn't steered me wrong yet! I usually don't like to "relaxer-hop", but my stylist didn't have the design essentials in stock, and I didn't want to go another day (let alone another week!) looking the way I was looking. Plus, my hair was starting to tangle and break something fierce!! :nono:

So anyway, the lady at Sally's said that the silk elements relaxer flies off of their shelves. They can't keep it in stock long! So, I decided to take a chance.

My thoughts:

One thing I liked about the Silk Elements Mild relaxer is that it didn't really burn/sting, and I had scratched my scalp something awful a few days before my touchup. My stylist works pretty fast, so she was able to put the relaxer in my hair and smooth it within about 15 minutes. I told her it was "stinging" or "burning" so that she wouldn't leave the relaxer in my hair for long. LOL* :giggle: Turns out, maybe that wasn't the best idea. :-/ It could have stayed in my hair at LEAST 20 minutes. I don't know why I had her rinse it out so early. I guess I was just nervous using a new relaxer and all.

Anyway, my hair turned out looking pretty nice! I told my stylist to put the relaxer on my edges LAST (since my hair is fine-textured, and my edges are VERY fine), and after my rollerset, I still could see my baby-hair along the edges! YAY! :D My hair came out feeling soft and took very well in the back. My roots are still a little wavy in the crown of my hair, but I don't mind too much because I don't like my hair "bone straight" anyway. The only part that looks a bit under processed is the left side towards the front of my hair. She didn't have enough time to really smooth that part really well since I told her to rinse the relaxer out of my hair, so it is quite thick there. But I figure that unless it starts tangling and matting up awfully I can just keep that part somewhat straight by flat-ironing it every once in a while.

Anyway...so far, Silk Elements was pretty good! It even seems a little more gentle than the Design Essentials Mild! That's shocking!

I may try this relaxer again for my next touch-up, but I've been reading mixed reviews about this relaxer. Some say it's excellent, and others say that it leaves your hair underprocessed, breaks off your hair, and doesn't really get it straight. :( I hope my hair doesn't fall out!

Anybody else have any reviews about Silk Elements??

Ramya

I use silk elements regular or coarse depending on how much new growth I have. I love it. My hair always comes out soft and silky! It will leave you under processed if you don't use the recommended amount of time. I haven't had any problems with breakage or shedding yet and I've been using it for a year now. :yep:

Crystalicequeen123

I use silk elements regular or coarse depending on how much new growth I have. I love it. My hair always comes out soft and silky! It will leave you under processed if you don't use the recommended amount of time. I haven't had any problems with breakage or shedding yet and I've been using it for a year now. :yep:

Thanks for the review. :up:

Your hair looks very nice and thick in your signature too! :yep: I assume that's the Silk Elements relaxer in your hair. I'm afraid to use the regular strength in my hair because my hair is fine. VERY fine. I don't think I ever really needed a regular strength relaxer, but before I found out about LHCF, reg. strength was all I ever put in my hair. Now that I'm older however, I think mild works just fine for me. My hair may not look 100% "silky" smooth, or straighter-than-straight, but it works for me I guess.

Tell me, is the regular strength relaxer GENTLE? (ie. more "gentle" than other reg. strength relaxers?) Also, do you use the relaxer in the box (NO-Lye), or the tub (LYE)?? This will all help me in making my decision.

Eisani

Before transitioning, I used the SE Mild Lye formula regularly to texlax and loved it! I never processed any section longer than 7 minutes, so my underprocessing was intentional but I always liked my results-consistent every time.

200AndOne

I'm glad you had a good experience. Ya'll are so making me wanna relax, but i'm scurred. At least I know that if I do, SE sounds like a good option.

~*Tigget*~

I used SE Regular Relaxer for the first time in July this year, and I absolutely loved it. I have a friend whose hair is always silky and swangin. So I asked what she used and it was SE. I switched my 3 girls and myself over to this. So far we haven't had any issues. I buy the one in the tub, not the box. We were all impressed on how it turned out in "our" hair. Very soft and silky. It has been 2 months since using it and still silky, has reverted yet.

Ramya

Thanks for the review. :up:

Your hair looks very nice and thick in your signature too! :yep: I assume that's the Silk Elements relaxer in your hair. I'm afraid to use the regular strength in my hair because my hair is fine. VERY fine. I don't think I ever really needed a regular strength relaxer, but before I found out about LHCF, reg. strength was all I ever put in my hair. Now that I'm older however, I think mild works just fine for me. My hair may not look 100% "silky" smooth, or straighter-than-straight, but it works for me I guess.

Tell me, is the regular strength relaxer GENTLE? (ie. more "gentle" than other reg. strength relaxers?) Also, do you use the relaxer in the box (NO-Lye), or the tub (LYE)?? This will all help me in making my decision.

Thank you. It is the silk elements lye in my hair. I actually cut out my old relaxer b/c I could see the difference down the strands of hair. SE is that good :grin:. I use regular or coarse so that I have a quicker process time (I texlax) I only leave it in for 10 minutes max including smoothing time. It's a lot more gentle than any other relaxer I've ever used. I have a very sensitive skin so if it doesn't burn me then everybody else should be ok. I have fine hair too but a lot of it lol. I need to get the most out of the few minutes I leave it on there so I go for regular or coarse.

MissMeWithThatIsh

I have tried the SE mild and it underprocessed... and the regular... which slightly processed. I like it though. No harsh smells or anything and it's so cheap!

TLC1020

Ya'll got me wanting to do my touch-up with Silk Elements relaxer :lachen:
I've been using Motions Mild Lye for the longest :yep: but I think I might try SE :grin:..

Any more reviews on silk elements relaxer??????

chichibean

Thank you for this thread Crystalicequeen... I actually bought SE Mild Lye to use on my next relaxer (in 2 weeks) and I wasn't sure what I should expect. But now I am at ease a bit more and I definitely can't wait to use it.
I'll be watching for more reviews!!!

Tarae

I use the mild and I love it. I always do my edges last also, and they are a bit underprocessed. That's my fault though because I'm so worried about my edges. I'll leave it on a bit longer next time.

Other than that, I have no complaints.

foxieroxienyc

Yep that's the relaxer that gave me the results below in my siggy. I love their relaxer, and the deep conditioners in their line are amazing too.

gorgeoushair

Thanks Crystalice:)

I have been interested in SE for a while now but the shedding posts got to me. I may try it after I finish my Hawaiian Silky:)

Do you use their conditioner after rinsing out the relaxer?

DarkAngell

I used it a month ago when i went from natural to texlaxed and it came out great. Smelled pretty good for a relaxer too. I'll be using it again the next time i relax which wont be until another 3 or 4 inches or NG.

Crystalicequeen123

Thank you for this thread Crystalicequeen... I actually bought SE Mild Lye to use on my next relaxer (in 2 weeks) and I wasn't sure what I should expect. But now I am at ease a bit more and I definitely can't wait to use it.
I'll be watching for more reviews!!!

Thanks Crystalice:)

I have been interested in SE for a while now but the shedding posts got to me. I may try it after I finish my Hawaiian Silky:)

Do you use their conditioner after rinsing out the relaxer?

You're welcome! ;) So far I this relaxer seems fine. I'll be able to REALLY tell how much I like this relaxer however after my 1st and 2nd wash. My hair will be more back to "normal" after a couple of washes. THEN I'll be able to offer a really good review of this relaxer. I'm still kind of nervous about the "shedding" posts too. :look: We'll see!

I used it a month ago when i went from natural to texlaxed and it came out great. Smelled pretty good for a relaxer too. I'll be using it again the next time i relax which wont be until another 3 or 4 inches or NG.

I'm glad to hear all of the posts saying that this relaxer isn't harsh. As crazy as it sounds, I'd rather a relaxer UNDERprocess me than OVERprocess me. :nono: My hair is already fine-textured. My edges are very very fine and almost non-existent (in my eyes at least), so if a relaxer is known for being "mild" or gentle, then I don't mind it too much.

Next time I think I'll have my stylist leave the relaxer in my hair for at least 20 minutes so that I can really experience this "silkiness" you ladies rave about on this board with this relaxer! :lachen: Does anyone get the "silkiness" feeling with the MILD formula? Or, was that only with the regular strength formulas?

Last edited:

bee

I keep a tub of SE. I self-relax and it has given me great results. One thing I discovered with my last relaxer was that SE is the only relaxer I've used, that didn't damage my hair.

I was talking to a guy friend of mine who used to be relaxed. He told me how beneficial it was to keep his ends clipped while he was relaxed. I saw some pics and he could have put any woman to shame with his hair's length, body, and shine. Needless to say, I'm going back to getting my ends dusted after a relaxer.

Not to get off topic, but SE is a great relaxer!

Crystalicequeen123

I keep a tub of SE. I self-relax and it has given me great results. One thing I discovered with my last relaxer was that SE is the only relaxer I've used, that didn't damage my hair.

I was talking to a guy friend of mine who used to be relaxed. He told me how beneficial it was to keep his ends clipped while he was relaxed. I saw some pics and he could have put any woman to shame with his hair's length, body, and shine. Needless to say, I'm going back to getting my ends dusted after a relaxer.

Not to get off topic, but SE is a great relaxer!

HAHAHAHA!!! :lachen: I don't know why this part had me cracking up! :lol: I just imagined a black guy with shoulder-length RELAXED hair blowing in the wind! LOL! I bet he could put some of us to shame with his hair. For some reason, guys hair seems to grow effortlessly.

Hmmmm....I didn't know guys used relaxers! :look: Interesting!

Well, it seems like this relaxer keeps getting good reviews! I'll post again after two washes and give my updated review of this relaxer. I'm excited now! :grin:

HoneyDew

Why is it that you guys always seem to read my mind?! I am in the market for a new relaxer and I have narrowed it down to Designer Touch Texturizing relaxer, Eluence and at the top Silk Elements. I was searching LHCF and BHM all night last night and I hear nothing but good things.

I am switching from no-lye to lye and I am doing some MAJOR research first. The search has brought up great reviews about the Silk Elements. Do they also have a neutralizing shampoo in the line? I would like to get a set this weekend.

Crystalicequeen123

Why is it that you guys always seem to read my mind?! I am in the market for a new relaxer and I have narrowed it down to Designer Touch Texturizing relaxer, Eluence and at the top Silk Elements. I was searching LHCF and BHM all night last night and I hear nothing but good things.

I am switching from no-lye to lye and I am doing some MAJOR research first. The search has brought up great reviews about the Silk Elements. Do they also have a neutralizing shampoo in the line? I would like to get a set this weekend.

Yep! They do! I saw it at Sally's when I bought the mild lye relaxer w/shea butter. :yep: I think you will like a lye relaxer. I know that switching from a no-lye relaxer to strictly LYE relaxers 4 years ago really turned my hair around. I don't know how your hair will react to a lye relaxer, but I can honestly say that my hair feels so much more moisturized, less dry, and just better overall ever since I switched from no-lye to lye 4 years ago. :up: Everyone's preferences/experiences are different though.

Hmmm....okay!! :D :D :D :D :woot: :woot: Next time I'll know to have her keep the relaxer in my hair at little longer so I can fully benefit from that "silkiness" feeling you ladies rave over! :giggle:

Last edited:

MoMo

Hands down the best relaxer! I've been using it for a year and a half now and it is the easiest to use. I use the Mild with EVOO and this stuff http://www.sleekhair.com/3561.html and my relaxers are the bomb. I just put one in my mother's hair a couple of weeks ago and she is in love. She used and swore by Affirm for many years.

HoneyDew

Hands down the best relaxer! I've been using it for a year and a half now and it is the easiest to use. I use the Mild with EVOO and this stuff http://www.sleekhair.com/3561.html and my relaxers are the bomb. I just put one in my mother's hair a couple of weeks ago and she is in love. She used and swore by Affirm for many years.

That's it! I am getting it!

Edited to add:

I am loving the idea behind the Joico K-Pak Professional Formula E-L/80 Chemical Activator. I am going to go find the ingredients from somewhere. IF so, that will be on my list, as well. I bet a bottle of that would last a logn time, too.

Edited again:

Water (aqua), Lecithin, Polysorbate 60, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oenothera Biennis Oil (Evening Primrose), Sorbic Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citral, Limonene, Fragrance (Parfum)

Straightening:
3 tsp. (15 ml) Formula E-L/80 to 4 oz. (114 ml) sodium hydroxide or guanidine / calcium hydroxide relaxer.

I WANT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

kbody4

I've been using Silk Elements for about 2 years now. I love this relaxer and do not plan on using anything else :love:

Crystalicequeen123

I also meant to add:

HoneyDew--make sure you get the Silk Elements relaxer in the tub, NOT the box perm. Silk elements also has a NO-lye box perm version. But if you want LYE, you have to get the relaxer in the tub. They have small tubs too. That's the one I got. So even if you end up not liking the relaxer, at least it was still cheap! :up:

Let us know your review!

HoneyDew

I also meant to add:

HoneyDew--make sure you get the Silk Elements relaxer in the tub, NOT the box perm. Silk elements also has a NO-lye box perm version. But if you want LYE, you have to get the relaxer in the tub. They have small tubs too. That's the one I got. So even if you end up not liking the relaxer, at least it was still cheap! :up:

Let us know your review!

Yes, I have used that one and did not like it. I am actually looking for Lye only right now, but even even I was stickign with no-lye, I did not care for their boxed perm. Their silken child relaxer was okay, but still. I think trying a mild Lye will be my next move.

I am trying to get a friend of a friend who has the pro card to go there for me and get that 4lb tub with the free shampoo they are offering for pro card holders.

But, I may have to stick with the small one just to try it out. And I LOVE the price. Even if it does not work for me, it won’t be a loss.

Edited to add:

I will definitely post a review! I am sooooo excited to try it! AND I am going to try the Professional Joico Products like MoMo’s regimen.

Last edited:

SelfStyled

Thanks so much OP for starting this thread! I am in the mkt for a new relaxer and I have had heard such good things about Silk Elements(I have not seen that shedding thread). Affirm has been leaving me underprocessed in 1 section of my hair for the last 2 touch ups- so I guess that is my sign to switch it up. I think this relaxer has better ingredients than Affirm and is a lot cheaper too. Did your stylist do a mid step protein on you? Does the SE have a proteon or reconstructor? Keep it coming ladies.

HoneyDew

I picked up the mild today. I really love those ingredients! I am not sure why I never looked at it before.

I excited, but I cannot relax for another 2 weeks.

plastic

I just came from relaxing my hair with SE Regular in the box ... I think I underestimated my hairtype . I left it in for 15 minutes including application time and my hair is bone straight.. i mean BONNNNNNEEEEEEEE straight, maybe it will revert a tad lil down the line ... but nevertheless my hair feels pretty good.