Why do stylist chop off too much?

Why do stylist cut too much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

growinstrong

From my experience, they cut in order to even up hair. For this reason, I have had my last trim from a stylist in which I went from MBL to a little past APL :nono:. Back on my hair growin grind :ohwell:.

Nelli04

I don't know what it is...but I used to always cringe when it was time for me to get a trim.
I just knew my stylist was gonna cut too much and the hair length I just had was gone.

The problem I had with my stylist was that she would cut around and then she'd pull hair up and cut it...and with that process she's end up cutting the same hair twice. And she knew I hated trims, she'd always be like 'Don't worry I'm not going to cut any of your length, I'm just getting rid of the dead ends'.....and I always would go from grazing APL to barely SL.

Misseyl

I'm glad this topic came up because after reading this I intend to cut it myself or ask my son to help me. Damn, I might get the barber to help me.

I had a major setback in late 2009 and have been wearing braids since December of 2009. I intend to keep wearing these braids until mid 2012 the latest and I'll be hell bent if one of these people chop off what I took 2 1/2 years growing. I'm gonna have them help me with the relaxing because I don't want to have unrelaxed areas but for the trimming I think I'm gonna pass.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
After speaking with another stylist, I think its because there are number of different ways to approach cutting hair. With different methods and skills, no two stylists cut exactly alike. Plus when you factor in actual skill level, some have never mastered the art of cutting hair - although they might not admit that you, the customer.

Personally, I finally realized that I am not trying to cut my hair into a specific style or shape. So I don't need a professional to keep my ends clipped. As long as I don't have significant thinning between ends and the bulk of my hair, I will care for it myself. Plus I know I don't have any issue with split ends right now.

Last edited:

Kimiche

I am getting my hair relaxed this week and for the first time in my life -I'm going to instruct her not to cut anything at all. I've been wondering why I am not getting anywhere and then it dawned on me that these people keep trying to even me up. I'm so over it!:wallbash:

I feel you, trust me. I think that I would have so much more progress if it weren't for those trims when I get my relaxer. When I went a few months ago, I thought I was going to leave without her trimming because everything seemed to be ok and she seemed finished with doing my hair. I was so wrong, because she did end up trimming it. I think she was trying to even my hair up. I wasn't pleased with how much shorter it looked compared to when I looked in the mirror after my hair was blow dried and then flat ironed. :cry2:

I'd rather keep my hair in a bun until both sides grow to a reasonable length if that's the case.

Blkprincess

I guess because as a 'stylist', they really just want to show off their artistic talents, cutting is part of that. but, if your stylist is lacking in their own style, with their own hair looking a hot holy mess, that should be your first clue to haul a**:lachen::lachen:. and if they are super eccentric, run, too, fast. one of my old stylist was extremely eccentric, and I let him do my hair once, and that was the last time, too. he was the salon owner to boot. didn't pay attention to a word I said. restyled that mess the moment I got in my car. I think when they make mistakes, they're trained poker faces :blush:won't say anything; if it's lop-sided they'll tell you it's the latest style, nouveau chic mess or something, or cut til' it's even. not like they can take that 6-10 inch piece they chopped off and attach back to your head!!!:ohwell:

Aviah

My cut was due to the dude not understanding the nature of my 4a hair. I went from roughly BSB in the back to midneck. He insisted after all that he didn't cut a lot off... little does he realize 2-3 inches in its natural state are more like 6-7. Welp, here I am growing out a Rihanna (umbrella) type bob...

chrstndiva

I think the reasons vary with the stylist. Some as mentioned already are more into styling the hair and not so much into retaining length and growing hair longer. I don't think there are a lot of haters. I just don't think a lot of them are used to dealing with longer hair. I think that they play to their own strengths and do what they want to do above the hair goals of the client.

When I did go to a stylist, I found one that had other clients with long hair and she herself had BSL length hair. When I asked for a blunt cut one day, she asked me if I was sure because my hair grew in a V-shape. She was the first stylist that was concerned about not only the health of my hair, but my hair goal of growing it longer. I never had to worry about her cutting too much off. If she had to cut more than usual, she would let me know and explain why. Unfortunately after moving I have not been able to find anyone like her, so I am a DIYer.

PraisedBeauty

I voted that they are jealous... But I also think that they do it in attempt to keep you coming back often. "Oh gosh your ends are so split... I had to give you a trim. Don't let it get like this again....Blah blah blah blah you need to see me more often."

ajargon02

I think that some stylists, don't know what they are doing.

When I say that, I mean many don't know how to communicate with the customer on what THE CUSTOMER wants to do.

For example:
If a customer has damage, but only wants a dust, then the stylist should make the first snip and show the customer, allowing them to see in the mirror what they are doing.

In general, the stylist should be showing the customer what they are trimming off with their fingers before starting the trim, show them how much they took off with the 1st snip, and allow the customer to see them with mirrors throughout the entire process.

LunadeMiel

When I get my hair trimmed I'm very stern about what I want. Before anyone touches my hair with scissors I want to see how much you are cutting and will request that you stop and show me your progress. It is my hair and NO one will cut more than I asked for. I couldn't care less if you think it's damaged or not. Nothing pisses me off more than someone I'm paying trying to make decisions for me. Even my doctors wouldn't dare :nono:

ElegantElephant

UGH!!! This just happened to me about 2 months ago. I went from APL to SL. I was so upset, given all the hard work I had put into my hair care.

tmkersha

I think its part jealousy and part they don't know what the're doing. I have gone from APL to SL so many times from a so called "trim", and I know my ends were not that damaged.

tmkersha

I voted that they are jealous... But I also think that they do it in attempt to keep you coming back often. "Oh gosh your ends are so split... I had to give you a trim. Don't let it get like this again....Blah blah blah blah you need to see me more often."

Haha....I used to hear this from my stylist all the time when I was relaxed. She had my hair getting shorter and shorter. I think I went from BSL to SL in a matter of about 4 years. I was like...Where did all my hair go??? This chick cut it all off!

Kurlee

My cut was due to the dude not understanding the nature of my 4a hair. I went from roughly BSB in the back to midneck. He insisted after all that he didn't cut a lot off... little does he realize 2-3 inches in its natural state are more like 6-7. Welp, here I am growing out a Rihanna (umbrella) type bob...
he would have lost an eye:look:

lana

You guys this used to happen to me at salons - even when I spoke up! I would tell them only trim this much, I will come back for another trim on this date. They still wanted to "even it up".

Well for the last five years (at least) I've been a complete do it yourselfer. I do my own trims and my hair finally went from ear length to bras strap length or hovering right above bra strap length (I'm waiting to officially claim it).

I left that last salon five years ago saying from now on if anyone is going to jack up my hair it's gonna be me! I haven't jacked it up yet!

mstrublvr

I agree 100%! I HAD all virgin hair APL before I started going to a recommend stylist and within 8 months I have a head full of breakage. The more I went, the less I liked my hair. No more stylists for me until I find one I can trust.

SimJam

sometimes I think they would rather have less hair to deal with, so they want eveyone to have SL hair.

My stylist has never ever cut more than I wanted ... ever, thats why Ive been with them for almost 11 years now> been with her through natural to relaxed and now natural again !!!!

empressri

and this is why i trimmed my hair myself today. i dont feel like flat ironing and i only trust one person to cut my hair curly but didnt have time for that either so i took my time and snipped each curl. did a good job too.

IMFOCSD

Because they are trained to cut hair and style hair. They are not "maintainists" or "hair gardeners" they are stylists.

I think mostly they want to be creative and show their talent and really the longer the hair the more of a "blank canvas" they have to work with. Its probably gives them great satisfaction do do some feathering, throw in some bangs, some layers whatever they do to frame your face, and then people like us come in and say "just dust" SO BORING!

As a child I would cut my Barbies' hair all the time very happily, and I know I am not the only one! Unfortunately Barbies' hair doesn't grow back so they'd eventually end up bald

I mean don't you think you would get bored if every day client after client came in just asking for a light dusting. That sounds like the kind of activity that will be waiting for me in hell if I am a bad person!

I know there are a lot of hair haters out there and yes we have all encountered them, but realistically, I think they just wanna cut hair, and make you look different than when you came in..... If they didn't why would they become a stylist?

This is probably how they really feel....but what it boils down to is they get payed to do what they are asked to do..them getting bored is irrelevent when a client has her mind made up about how she wants her hair.

I'm so glad i can cut, layer, trim my own hair.

naturalmanenyc

I just did my own trim, about 1.5 inches in some places. It is not even by any means, but I wear my hair curly 99% of the time so I do not care about uneven hair.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
This has happened to me twice in my life, one as a child and once as an adult. I finally luck up and find a non-scissor-happy stylist that will have your hair looking like heaven is on top of your head- but it's in one of THOSE salons where you have to wait eons to get your hair done. She knows what dusting ends is and will only cut more if you specifically ask her to. Damn I miss getting my hair done by her... I hate wasting like a work shift (yes, it could be like 8 hours from the time you walk in until you walk out with your hair done :( )just to get my hair done.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Long Hair Care Forum App

MangaManiac

Ugh...this all brings back so many bad memories. But I've dealt with people not knowing how to care for my hair to straight up jealousy. What I love about all my long-term braiders is that they almost always REFUSE to cut my hair.

One even told me "I can't cut your hair exact and do a good job unless I straighten in (flat iron) and since I'm putting you in braids today I'm not going to do that. It's too much stress for your hair and it's getting so long."

THAT'S what I'm talking about! People that actually CARE for your hair and don't mind telling you you're about to do something damaging. A far cry from the crazy that chopped off MORE than the progress I had made in the short 3 month period from the first time I saw her. I'm purchasing a Splitender this month and when I take my hair down in May I will do my OWN trim. I'm also in a different country (UK) and have NO IDEA where to look for good stylists/braiders! :perplexed

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
^^ I've been interested in the SplitEnder for a long time. I've been scared to buy it. It looks and sounds scary.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Long Haircare Forum App