What is the difference between a leave in conditioner and a moisturizer?

sparkle25

I see on here and other forums all the time women talking about a leave in and a moisturizer. I don't understand the difference. I thought leave ins were moisturizers as water is the only moisturizer, so leave ins have water as the first ingredient = moisturizer.

I also don't understand when people talk about the LOC or the LCO method. What is considered the cream? Would the liquid part be considered water or a leave in? The O part is the self explanatory, but what is the cream part? A butter? A lotion that doesn't have water?

Thanks

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
A leave-in usually states it is a leave-in meaning it is used after the hair is fresh washed and conditioned and can possibly seal the cuticles, add in some shine and nutrients the hair needs. Leave-ins are also products such as heat protectants and sprays that can add protein. They can also reduce frizz.

Moisturizers can be a tad heavier and more buttery/creamy with less water than a leave-in. Moisturizers can sit on the hair heavier. They are usually for touching up and drying.

It's really hard to distinguish between the two sometimes unless you read the label or try them out. I've never found a leave-in that can double up as a moisturizer but I have found that in a moisturizer. It just depends on what the hair likes. I don't care for leave-ins because they usually contain protein and they leave my hair hard (unless it is a heat protectant).

In terms of loc method, the liquid can be a leave-in if it's runny enough or even just water or tea mixture. Aloe can even work. The liquid is what you make it but it The cream is a moisturizer or lotion. A butter is a butter. Period. Then you would be doing LOCB by adding a butter.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I think a leave in is more for after shampooing on damp hair. A moisturizer is something that is more creamy and can be used to refresh dry hair. I have used moisturizers to leave in after washing.

I agree with Saludable regarding the LOC/B method. It's a liquid or something liquidy. I usually just use water. The oil is oil. The cream is a moisturizing hair cream...I like mine to be pretty substantially creamy in consistency....not like hair milk. The butter is any butter for the ends.

sparkle25

Ok so a leave in is more liquidy and a mosturizer is heavier and thicker....thanks :) What about hair milk that contain like coconut milk or goats milk instead of water? Are these moisturizers too?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Also, I wanted to add that I've done both LOC and LCO and I usually just do LCO because it makes the most sense logically for me. :)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Ok so a leave in is more liquidy and a mosturizer is heavier and thicker....thanks :) What about hair milk that contain like coconut milk or goats milk instead of water? Are these moisturizers too?

Depending on what the product says it's supposed to be fore. I've never encountered those before, but I'd ascertain that they would be leave ins as most milks are.

oneastrocurlie

I was confused at leave in vs moisturizer so I just stick to products that say they are both lol. Namely Oyin Hair Dew and most recently PBN Murumuru Moisture Milk. Problem solved for me.

I do LCO too when I do it. But my hair doesn't do well having an actual liquid applied everyday so I moisturize with a water based product, the dew or the milk, and use an oil or Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade to seal.

sparkle25

^^^^ lol. I think in just going to consider things with water that wre runny as a leave and thicker things as moisturizers, but I think I'm just going to use both the same way lol. To me anything with water is a leave in. Which is a moisturizer lol. So they are the same to me but I do get that a " moisturizer" is considered to be thicker.

What do people use butters for then? To seal? Also, some vendors list products as things that they are not. For example Hairitage Hydrations has a product called Coconut Mango Hair moisturizer and the ingredients are: Aloe Butter, Mango Butter, Aprocot Oil, Fragrance. Ummm to me that is a butter. A lot of vendors do this. HH is not the only one

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^^^ lol. I think in just going to consider things with water that wre runny as a leave and thicker things as moisturizers, but I think I'm just going to use both the same way lol. To me anything with water is a leave in. Which is a moisturizer lol. So they are the same to me but I do get that a " moisturizer" is considered to be thicker.

What do people use butters for then? To seal? Also, some vendors list products as things that they are not. For example Hairitage Hydrations has a product called Coconut Mango Hair moisturizer and the ingredients are: Aloe Butter, Mango Butter, Aprocot Oil, Fragrance. Ummm to me that is a butter. A lot of vendors do this. HH is not the only one

People use butters for a heavier seal and for styling. Yeah the Coconut Mango is a butter. IDK why they do that.

oneastrocurlie

I use butters to twist with after I've applied a leave in/moisturizer.

I'm not a ingredient snob but I have been paying more attention to not just the type of ingredients but also the order. For example, bask sevenfold butter's first ingredient is oil.I should've paid more attention to that because I find it a tad too oily for my hair. PBN hair butter first ingredient is butter. I like that much better.

That HH is definitely more a butter to me.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
sparkle25, you will have test out several products until you find what works. I have leave-ins that are creamy that work great on wash day but doesn't really provide much hydration throughout the week. I then use those on wash day only.

Some creamy moisturizers can double as a LI and moisturizer. My hair prefers creamy moisturizers when using them in the LOC method. The only product I've found that doubles as a LI and moisturizer nicely is Aubrey Organics White Camellia. It's really designed to be a conditioner but my hair loves it as both a LI and moisturizer.

How I LOC: rinse deep conditioner from hair, squeeze out excess water with evco soaked hands. The water from rinsing is my "L." The oil transferred from my hands to my hair while squeezing out the drippies is the "O." The "C" is whatever creamy product I choose to use -- Pura Body Naturals MuruMuru Moisture Milk or Oyin Hair Dew.

If I'm doing LOCB: I'll rub some thick butter across my hair after applying the cream. Right now I'm using My Honey Child Type 4.

Beamodel

Hairitage Hydration - Pink Lemon Berry & Soft Coconut Are both leave ins/Moisturizers

SSI Coco Cream leave In is just a leave in.
SD Mocha Milk is just a moisturizer

Just a few examples. HTH

sparkle25

Oh yes. I hate that line lol. I think her stuff is more for like 3 types. Also, want differentiates those products you listed? To you, what makes one a leave in, moisturizer or both?

Beamodel

I feel like you get more moisture from a moisturizer. A leave in conditions as a continuing step from your DC process.

Most products you will have to go through trial and error to see how it works best for you.

I use Pura body Muru Muru as a leave in and as a moisturizer. To be honest I don't remember which way it is "marketed" for though.

MissMusic

Hair milks are a lot like moisturizers, just lighter and often more lotion like and can be used daily. They usually don't weight the hair down with repeated use, where as most moisturizers build up and weigh the hair down with daily use.They provide lots of moisture without the need for a sealer. Many can be used as leave-in's as well. Good one's are hard to come by, my favorite is Oyin Hair Dew.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
sparkle25

I use creamy LIs - Pura Body MuruMuru Moisture Milk and Oyin Hair Dew. There are some LIs that are thinner and little more liquid like. My hair doesn't prefer those.

sparkle25

Thanks girls. It's all starting to make sense. Man I wish my hair liked that Oyins hair dew. It's too greasy for me. It smells amazing though.

oneastrocurlie

I feel like you get more moisture from a moisturizer. A leave in conditions as a continuing step from your DC process.

Most products you will have to go through trial and error to see how it works best for you.

I use Pura body Muru Muru as a leave in and as a moisturizer. To be honest I don't remember which way it is "marketed" for though.

Beamodel. It's marketed as both :yep: Exact reason why I got it to try during the last sale. Good stuff.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Girl, I was napping.

I wouldn't use a milk as a C unless it states it can be. Hair milks are funny so IMO I would only use them by themselves and not with any specific method. When the milk contains actual milk (coconut, goat, etc) I just use them alone. Not like lotions with milky textures. That's different.

When I have freshly washed hair, I use the excess water (because my hair takes forever to dry) as the L, then proceed to OC. If I need to touch up, I have a spray bottle with water and lightly dampen the hair, not really rewet the hair all over again. Some people hear water and think rewet but I use water to dampen and slightly lift the cuticle to the moisture will take. After all, that's the point of the method.

I do LCO because I've learned that it benefits me more since my hair is low porosity and doing LOC left me with product build up after one day. LCO does not leave me with buildup until after 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

virtuenow

I haven't read all of the posts: leave ins and moisturizers are the same thing. They just have different names. We are dealing with semantics here. You should ask about specific products if you want a better answer; your question really deals with how the product line chose to market the product.

Water is the true moisturizer. However, hair creams and lotions have adopted the name of "moisturizer". They are semi moisturizing and semi sealants. In the LCO method, the "C" cream/lotion seals in the "L" liquid and adds a bit of moisture at the same time. Thus, hair creams and lotions are semi-moisturizing and semi-sealants at the same time.

By the way, there are some leave-in's that are liquid (like INfusium 23), there are some that are creamy/lotiony. As stated above the product maker chooses which name will be given to the item.

As for LCO, the "L" needs to be an actual liquid-- meaning the consistency of WATER. It needs to be watery enough that it can be SPRITZED on the hair. The "C" in LCO requires a water based hair lotion or cream. I prefer lotion consistency. It's your choice on what consistency you want. As for hair butters, they more appropriately fit in the "O" category. The purpose of the "O" is to SEAL in all the moisture: OILS and BUTTERS are SEALANTS.

So in summary:

WATER, water based SPRITZES (LIQUIDS) = MOISTURE (they are commonly called moisturizers, leave-ins, spritzes and sprays)

WATER BASED Creams/lotions = SEMI-MOISTURE, SEMI-SEALANTS (they are commonly called moisturizers or leave-ins; consistency is runny lotion to very thick cream)

OILS and BUTTERS = SEALANTS (they are also sometimes called moisturizers or by their actual named oil or butter)

Last edited:

Gryphyn

I've been using Cantu Shea butter leave in and ORS olive oil before sealing. I've always thought they provided similar benefits but never liked the way my hair felt when only using 1 of them. Now I see why ... Cantu Shea butter is actually a leave in conditioner and ORS olive oil is a thicker moisturizing lotion. Thanks for the info ladies!