Now Forming an Army of SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS!! Come on in!

Drtondalia

Hi Ladies!!!!
Hope everyone is doing well
I have been a co-washing somebody. This weekend I used coconut oil w/ peppermint oil on my scalp and coated my hair in EVOO and slept in a plastic cap overnight. Saturday I washed my hair with Garnier Frutics Creme shampoo (for dry & damaged hair I only wash 1x a month) and DC'd with Garnier Frutics Creme Conditioner (for dry & damaged hair) overnight. Sunday I rinsed the conditioner and used Cantu leave in conditioner sprayed my hair with Tresseme Heat Tamer, and Yes I flat ironed my hair. I just couldn't help it. I used the heat protectant on each section.

I used this mini ceramic flat iron I bought over the weekend. My intention was to purchase the mini-CHI but the store charged $124.00 for it and I could get it online for like $75.00. But the store clerk advised me to purchase this off brand mini for $9.99. She told me that the same people make the CHI.

Now, I have never had a clecrk try to convince me to purchase a cheaper product. I bought it and I am ecstatic about the results. I can even see that my hair looks like it has grown some since September. What do you gals think?

Sep. Starter pic //// Nov. Flat iron

Attachments

• hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 104
  • hair06.jpg
    hair06.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 96

Ms Lala

:giggle: I have to trim because of my single strand knots that lead to more tangles. But if I cut it will be for shape. I don't like my current layers.

So I have to keep going because she is trying to coax my hair into being straight. My hair was very cottony, spider-web-y, and all of that when I first went. I try to tell folks the severity, but they don't hear me though. I think she was a little surprised after the first visit when it took her over 4 hours to detangle (sorta). :blush: So she's learning my hair bit by bit, taking notes, and getting it used to heat. And not too long ago, I missed a few weeks, and though I tried to detangle it (spending a long time, too), it was back to full on nappy with shed hair. So we had to start again.

I've had others straighten my hair before, but it was more used to heat ( I used to blow dry for real, with a comb extension) and also they hurt me. She's trying her best, and succeeding, at not hurting me. But that means it takes a looooong time. This past time, I detangled, washed, conditioned, and blow dried before going in and then she was able to straighten more than usual.

See fotki for pictures, ones in the white shirt for latest visit.

Hey! Your hair is so fab. I am rocking the puffy straight Rudy Huxtable type look right now. I think that would look good on you. I can't run my fingers through my hair either. Even when it was relaxed it seemed to tangle. But I can comb through it slowly when oiled up. I am glad you have found someone to work w/your hair. I just cut my hair. I'm going to post to my youtube once I get back from my vacay. I didn't cut alot but I was having issues w/the ends. What I decided to do was grow it to waist length(slightly past in some areas) then cut so I would be at my goal still. It is in a U shape, the middle is at my waist and the sides are around midback. I think that may work for you as well. Just kind of trim it for now then cut it for shape when you reach your goal. Loving your naps! and I mean it truly as a compliment.

lmtsaki

I'm crazy late to this thread but after being a lurker for ... a very long time... I want to join something! I think its great to see so many other women with the same goals and that can relate to me and my hair texture.. Its crazy hard trying to figure out whats best for your hair alone, and as I'm sure you've all found out what works for 3's is not always (usually not) applicable to 4's. :yep:

So hopefully I'm not to late to join.

I am a 4c with mixed length hair when fully stretched I'd say it reaches my collar bone.

As for my reggie, its very basic.
I keep a spray bottle filled with a water, glycerin,oil mix. I spray almost 2x daily
Natural Yellow Shea butter
I DC once a week with ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner
I shampoo 2x/ month with a clarifying shampoo.
I also take multi vitamins, fenugreek,and GNC's Hair,Skin,and Nails vitamins.

nysister

I'll join. It was never my goal to have really long hair, just to learn how to successfully take care of my natural coif, but I wouldn't mind being an example for my niece, family and friends.

We often have such misconceptions about our hair, and if my 1.5 year experience has people saying "Wow! Can you help me grow my hair?" I can only imagine what it will be like after another 1.5 years. So this is for all of the chicas I love!

transitioning?

Hey guys. I haven't been extremely active on this thread but i will from now on. Im hooked. You ladies have beautiful heads of hair and offer wonderful advice.

Update on my hair. I just took out kinky twists that i had in for 5 weeks. I couldn't take another week with them because i missed my hair. Lol the roots felt so soft and lucious.
My hair grew a whole inch and i love it. I love it so much that i don't feel like hiding it under braids or a wig.

I found my soft hair solution too. Kimmaytubes leave in plus S curl equals wow.

But how do u guys get sheen? My hair has looked dry all my life.

Here i am at 11 months post relaxer

HHJ ladies

Sent from my DROID2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

transitioning?

Oh and just in case was wondering. I think i got an inch of grow in 5 weeks because of my msm pills( using for 2-3 weeks), workouts(doing for 3-4 weeks) and kinky twist protective style for 5 weeks

anon123

:lurking:
:scratchch....is there an Army of Super-Long Hair 4b for relaxed heads? o_O

Maybe not an army, but there's a platoon floating somewhere around here. There's a thread on type 4 relaxed hair longer than bsl.

@mwedzi - you and your hair are gorgeous!

:blush2: Thank you, Miss..

Hey! Your hair is so fab. I am rocking the puffy straight Rudy Huxtable type look right now. I think that would look good on you. I can't run my fingers through my hair either. Even when it was relaxed it seemed to tangle. But I can comb through it slowly when oiled up. I am glad you have found someone to work w/your hair. I just cut my hair. I'm going to post to my youtube once I get back from my vacay. I didn't cut alot but I was having issues w/the ends. What I decided to do was grow it to waist length(slightly past in some areas) then cut so I would be at my goal still. It is in a U shape, the middle is at my waist and the sides are around midback. I think that may work for you as well. Just kind of trim it for now then cut it for shape when you reach your goal. Loving your naps! and I mean it truly as a compliment.

Yeah, I think that's a plan. So I'll just get a trim and grow to waist. Looking forward to your video!

pookaloo83

Mwedzi, is it you who does a light blow dry after every wash? If so, how is it working for you? I plan on doing it, but with the tension method. I just want to avoid these ssk's.

bride91501

Welcome @NYsister, @transitioning, and all the other 4b-ers who've decided to join our little community. This thread's only a couple of weeks old, but there's already so much information here. Thanks to everyone for your contributions!

@Mwedzi- are you allowed to say who the stylist is who's training your hair? I saw on your fokti that stylist apparently approached you, so I don't know if you can.....but since we're both in the DMV area I thought I'd give it a shot :)

bride91501

So, I henna'd for the first time this past Saturday, and let me say......I think I'm in love!

I usually have to moisturize my hair 2x (or more) per day, but since henna....I haven't needed to moisturize it since Sunday!! I wasn't expecting to see results this soon, but I'm just kicking myself for waiting so long to become a henna head. This is DEFINITELY a staple for me from now on.

Here's my henna mix:

Jamila BQA henna mixed with lemon juice, water, yogurt, HH HE, EVOO & Castor oil. I immediately applied the mixture to my hair (didn't let it sit overnight bc I'm not interested in changing my hair color), and wrapped my hair in saran wrap. 8.5 hours later, I rinsed the henna out, using some VO5 moisture milk to aid with the final rinse.
I then followed up with a DC.

I have a tiny 3b/3c patch of hair at my nape (I know- just blasphemous in the 4b thread, right? lol) which did loosen a little bit, but my 4b kinks remained unphased by the treatment. They are, however, MUCH easier to detangle and manipulate.

If you're on the fence about henna, I'd definitely suggest you try it. One of the best things I've done for my hair so far during my LHHJ.

DeenIsFirst

Ok, I'm joining too! :) Hi, everyone. My hair is far from long, but it is 4b. I've been natural 3 years and my hair is APL in the back and chin length in the front :/ Started the HHJ a year ago.

I'm really nervous because I'm going to a hair salon for the 1st time in 2 years. It's a popular natural hair salon in the DMV and they're just doing a consult, but I plan to go back to get it pressed (IF I like them). My birthday's coming up so I want to try something different. I hope I don't regret the decision. If anyone has tips on how you made your salon experience work for you, please chime in. I feel like my hair may not be the easiest to work with, even though it's fine and thin. Do stylists know how to do 4b hair without being rough? lol.

Thanks and great thread!

growinghair

So, I am revamping my regime. I've been natural almost 3 years, but I'm still trying to learn my hair. I've got the thickness. Now, I just need it to grow a little longer. I hope to reach BSL in 2011.

I've gotten in straightened it once in that time. If I can find the pic, I'll post it too. I need to do more PS and go back to baggying. I was having better retention results then.

Attachments

• DSC02266.jpg
    DSC02266.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 102
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 92
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 92
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 99

AfroKink

So, I henna'd for the first time this past Saturday, and let me say......I think I'm in love!

I usually have to moisturize my hair 2x (or more) per day, but since henna....I haven't needed to moisturize it since Sunday!! I wasn't expecting to see results this soon, but I'm just kicking myself for waiting so long to become a henna head. This is DEFINITELY a staple for me from now on.

Here's my henna mix:

Jamila BQA henna mixed with lemon juice, water, yogurt, HH HE, EVOO & Castor oil. I immediately applied the mixture to my hair (didn't let it sit overnight bc I'm not interested in changing my hair color), and wrapped my hair in saran wrap. 8.5 hours later, I rinsed the henna out, using some VO5 moisture milk to aid with the final rinse.
I then followed up with a DC.

I have a tiny 3b/3c patch of hair at my nape (I know- just blasphemous in the 4b thread, right? lol) which did loosen a little bit, but my 4b kinks remained unphased by the treatment. They are, however, MUCH easier to detangle and manipulate.

If you're on the fence about henna, I'd definitely suggest you try it. One of the best things I've done for my hair so far during my LHHJ.

Did you have any problems getting the henna particles out of your hair? I've henna'd 2 or 3 times and getting all the particles out has been a task. When I henna tho, I only use the powder and water. I don't now if that is the cause.

ladylo

So great to see all the new beautiful heads on this thread! I'm just checking in:

Things I've been doing differently this week: Started sleeping in a plastic conditioning cap with my silk scarf tied over it to prevent slippage. Moisture retention was definitely better thoughout the week so if anyone else is still sleeping on this like I was :sleep8:then I'd highly reccommend it. (thanks to Nonie and whoever posted the Greenhouse effect method for putting this on my radar):wave::wave:

I also kept my twists in a bun most of the week and my ends did not dry out (thanks Veepickni). I think that I am also one of those folks who needs to do the double protective styling. It's not as pretty but it works.:yep:

Yesterday I washed and did an Aphogee (the two-step hard one) treatment to see if it would help with the breakage on my ends. It was scaarrry but worth it! My hair is weak, porous, splits easily and breaks during manipulation. after the treatment it felt bouncy and wiry and not limp at all. I will be doing this treatment as needed from now on. Thanks to Bride91501 for the application tips. Oh, and I did DC afterwards with AOHSR, honey and JBCO.:lick:

I also did my twists w/o the blowdryer :cry3:. This made me sad because I love the way my hair feels and looks with a light blowdry. However, I keep finding new splits every week and I had to admit to myself (finally) that the blowdryer (even on the lowest setting!) is going to keep me from gaining length. Instead I moisturized and airdried in 16 large braids and then pulled those apart and made my twists, stretching out the curl as much as possible with my fingers. It doesn't look bad, it's a lil shorter looking but it feels less dry. I do miss the fluffiness tho but since I'll be pulling it back in a bun all week it really doesn't matter.:ohwell:

Also I DID NOT use a comb once at any time in the washing or twisting process. Who knew my supposedly "good" comb (wide tooth, bone comb) was the devil in disguise?:heated: This and the Aphogee treatment helped to minimize the breakage I usually get on wash day. I still had hairs coming out when I twisted though. Not sure if I'm shedding excessively or not but it kind of feels like it.:ohwell: I think I will try a garlic treatment next week and see if that helps.

Whew! That's it I think. Thanks to everyone for all the awesome advice and support.:urock::urock:

transitioning?

@ladylo Idk if i could go completely combless. I only use a Quidad comb on my conditioner soaked hair. I find that finger combing breaks my hair more because my fingers get caught. Does finger combing take longer?

Ladies: what are you doing to add sheen to your hair

ladylo

@ladylo Idk if i could go completely combless. I only use a Quidad comb on my conditioner soaked hair. I find that finger combing breaks my hair more because my fingers get caught. Does finger combing take longer?

Ladies: what are you doing to add sheen to your hair

Hey Transitioning! I think that the work I've been doing over the past couple of months namely upping my moisture, keeping hair stretched, and especially doing S&D for SSK's and splits (esp. the tree branch splits) has created a friendly environment for finger combing. I used to have the same problem where my hair felt like velcro and the comb seemed easier then my hands. Now it's reversed! Go figure!

What I've been doing: Take down my twists the night before wash day and saturate with oil for a pre-poo (i've used coconut and avocado oil, i like the avocado a lil better). Then I make four big braids and sleep on it. I do not pull the twistout apart when I do this. The next day I take down the braids and divide into 8 ponytails. I step in the shower and let the water run down. Then section by section I saturate with wheat germ oil (this works well in my hair for detangling) and gently pull the twistout apart, I do this until the hair feels pretty much untangled and then I just make sure that there is no matting at the root by gently running my fingers through that part and pulling on the ends. The Lisa Akbari method is a good place to go for fingercombing technique. Check out this YouTube video to actually see this being done. YouTube - Lisa Akbari 's How to Detangle Natural Hair She's a trichologist with natural hair so she has great info.

Finger combing actuall takes me a 1/4 of the time that comb detangling took. 1/2 hour instead of 2 hours. I believe this is because my fingers smooth down and separate my strands. the comb I've noticed makes my strands curl back up at the ends and tangle on each other. It actually creates more detangling work for me. I've also noticed that other 4b long haired naturals like Sera and Ms. LaLa do not comb their hair to detangle, so maybe it is just that it's a better method as the hair gets longer. I have ordered the combs that they occasionally use hotCombs: Magic Star Rake Set to try out. But, following their techniques I will only make occasional use of them (1x per month or less). What caught me, is that the description says that they work like a hand.

Everyone is different but I have found that my hair is just as detangled without the comb and is easier to manage and stretch. It breaks less because there is less manipulation and I am gentle. Technique is key. I also think that it is difficult to gauge how much hair you are breaking with a comb because it gets caught up with the shed hair. I can see the breakage with my hands better because it's not swirled up with the other hairs at the base of the comb. It seems scary at first because you can FEEL the snags and breaks more. Hope that makes sense. Everyone's hair is different so if quidad works for you then stick with it! The most important thing is PS'ing to keep your hair from getting really tangled in the first place.

As far as sheen goes, sealing with oil (JBCO) seems to do it for me. I know my hair is never going to get the high sheen that a 3c or even 4a can get, it's just too kinky and so doesn't reflect light the same way. I also think that sheen comes pretty naturally when your hair is properly moisturized. What do other ladies think? If there's a no silicone method I can use to get more sheen I'll be on it with quickness.:lol:

pookaloo83

I also did my twists w/o the blowdryer :cry3:. This made me sad because I love the way my hair feels and looks with a light blowdry. However, I keep finding new splits every week and I had to admit to myself (finally) that the blowdryer (even on the lowest setting!) is going to keep me from gaining length. Instead I moisturized and airdried in 16 large braids and then pulled those apart and made my twists, stretching out the curl as much as possible with my fingers. It doesn't look bad, it's a lil shorter looking but it feels less dry. I do miss the fluffiness tho but since I'll be pulling it back in a bun all week it really doesn't matter.:ohwell:

NOoo!!! :lol: I was just thinking about incorporating light blowdrys in my regimen. But I never use the comb attachments, I just use the tension method. Did you use the comb attachments? I don't need any splits. That's what I'm afraid of. I have fine hair.

bride91501

Did you have any problems getting the henna particles out of your hair? I've henna'd 2 or 3 times and getting all the particles out has been a task. When I henna tho, I only use the powder and water. I don't now if that is the cause.

Not at all. I was a little worried about it though, cuz I think I made my henna mix a little too thick, but it rinsed out just fine. I was terrified about the post-henna dryness, thats why I added the oils and water.

HTH.

ladylo

@pookalook Yess! I was using the comb attachment combined with the tension method:nono:. I know, I know lol:lol:. I wasn't combing my hair through though, I was more using it to separate the strands and assist with the tension. I also liked it because it kept my hair further away from the blowdryer and I thought that was better.:look:

It's totally possible that my splits were due to the attachment instead of the heat but IDK. I'm totally willing to admit that I am NO expert on using heat and I have given myself some pretty crispy ends several times over the years from botched flat iron attempts.:perplexed It's only now that I'm learning better methods for heat styling. If you report back with good results then I will likely revisit blowdrying sans attachment when my hair is feeling stronger. I am upping my protein and will eventually try henna because I need strength and I love that blowdried look heh heh.:lol:

If your hair is in good condition I'd go ahead and try it because IMO a few splits are not the end of the world. I have weak, dry hair (mix of medium and fine strands) and I've been downright mean to it sometimes and I've still never lost any significant length.:ohwell: The worst that will happen is that you'll have to do a lil trim or S&D. If your hair is in good condition light blowdrying with good technique could work for you as it seems to work for some.

I decided to let it rest for a while based on Veepickni's advice and my issues with dryness and breakage. I am hoping that as my detangling and styling methods improve that it will also help to minimize SSK's (the main reason I started blowdrying in the first place). Whether it's SSK's or splits though, I still have to get out the scissors either way. It's really the breakage I'm trying to get control of at this point.

So, if your hair is healthy and strong but prone to SSK's it could be the answer. If your hair is prone to splits it might make those worse. And if your hair is dry like mine it could increase your breakage. It's also possible that good technique could trump any ill effects. that's the way I see it. IDK know if that really helpful:perplexed though.

I'm curious to know what other ladies think as well. Any thoughts from the veterans on this?

Signed Ladylo, the queen of longa** posts!:rolleyes:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Good Morning Type 4 naturalistas!
Today I am going to my friend (who is a stylist) to get my hair blown-out, trimmed and lightly flatironed.

This will be my first blowdry/ flatiron on my hair at the salon since my BC

I'm a little nervous.. but excited to see the results

It will look great; don't be nervous. Can't wait to see the pics!! :yep:

Here are my pics from last Tuesday:

December makes 1.5 years of being natural.

BC June 2009

Last weekend (Nov 20, 10)-- My 4BZZZZ hair in its shrunken glory

Today Nov 23 2010
(got my hair blown out flat ironed and trimmed)

By the end of the day my hair was in a ponytail. Looking forward to washing on Tuesday :yep:

Imani

Here are my pics from last Tuesday:

December makes 1.5 years of being natural.

BC June 2009

Last weekend (Nov 20, 10)-- My 4BZZZZ hair in its shrunken glory

Today Nov 23 2010
(got my hair blown out flat ironed and trimmed)

By the end of the day my hair was in a ponytail. Looking forward to washing on Tuesday :yep:

Your hair is sooooo pretty. This is exactly the length I want my hair to be by the spring.

LivinMyLifeLikeItsGolden

great thread. i need alot of motivation because I have been contemplating relaxing my hair... you guys have beautiful hair so that will keep me going!!!! my hair is currently up in weaves till summer time, so I have no pics till my next take down!!