Never had long hair...can't retain length (4b/4c) help.

naijamerican

I don't think it's impossible at all. Truthfully...and I know I might get shot for this... but I think that it might be easier for a 4b/4c to retain length than a 4a. I seem to notice more ssk issues in 4a hair than in 4b/c. Also, on youtube.com and on the forum, I don't know any 4a waist lengthers beyond Edenise. All of the natural waist lengthers I know are 4b/4c. *shrugs* I'm not discouraged but it has seriously given me pause to consider a texturizer or a BTK in the past to get rid of the ssks.

:lol: You need to post this in the 4B thread. :D

No, but seriously, OP don't give up. I think that what everyone else has said is true. I'm 4B and I am protein sensitive. I do use protein but, in my experience, it must be accompanied with a moisturizing conditioner. I think that part of dealing with one's hair, particularly 4B hair, is learning what works and what doesn't work.

One other suggestion I have is to consider twisting your hair without extensions. For me personally, I found that extensions cut into my hair. Even good quality human hair would compromise my own hair's health. But, Nonie and Mscocoface (my 4B sheroes :lol:) have had a lot of success with extensions. Just something to think about.

Chevelure618

You say you "needed" those trims. I've slowly started to learn my lesson about this. Just because the ends are uneven does not mean it needs a trim. It takes a long time for those so called raggedy ends as the SHS call them to actually "need" a trim. Examine the ends carefully...with a magnifying glass if you have to. If they are not bent, actually split, or transparent and weak looking DO NOT cut them. I stayed at shoulder length or above APL for years becuase someone or even myself was telling me I needed a trim. Forget scissors. Just keep the ends moist and see what happens.

Quita

I'm 4B natural and I PS with wigs but I BC last year to 1inch and my hair is shoulder length pushing colar bone in the back; 4B HAIR DOES GROW; a few months back I slacked off on my hair care and my hair was dry, full of SSKs and shedding but now since I figured out that my issue was lack of moisture my is is super soft, little to no SSKs and no shedding; incorporate more moisture, if possible buy a steamer; here are a few products I use:

AOWC -DC, mixed with honey and Wheat Germ Oil
Giovanni Direct Leave-In
Co-wash ==> Suave Almond and Shea butter, HE Hello Hydration, and I just bought Giovanni Smooth as silk deeper moisture conditionder (paid $12 for salon size at Marshalls)
Henna every six week (this helps strengthen my hair so I don't need protein but you will need to research before incorporating this in your regi)

Most importantly I bought a steamer, my hair LOVES the steamer. Its only been 1 month since I figured out my hair was moisture deficient and extremely thirsty but I've really noticed a difference in how it feels and responds to products.
Keep it simple, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

curlyninjagirl

After reading the "Is 4b hair designed to be short" thread i'm feeling a little...no...EXTREMELY discouraged. I have never had hair past shoulder length. NEVER in my life. Recently, after wearing my hair in kinky twists for some months, i had noticed an improvement in the condition of my hair and the back of my hair was just past collarbone length, the top of my hair hovering at chin length (before a much needed trin set me back:wallbash:) I trimmed about an inch and although i am seeing improvement in the hair of my hair (Somewhat) i feel like i can never retain length. I'm starting to wonder if i will ever reach my hair growth goals of apl or bsl:ohwell: It doesn't help that i have very slow growing hair, and by the time my hair needs a trim i end up chopping most of my growth.

is it possible that i'm just unable to grow long hair?:nono:

my regemine is
(IN BRAIDS/kinky twists)
-wash every 2 weeks with creme of nature shampoo for dry hair(old formula) and condition with Giovanni smooth as silk/watered down LeKair Cholesteral+EVOO/ Suave Humectant/ V05 Moisture milks/ Herbal Essesences Long Term Relationship.
-spray daily with my own glycerine mix, African Pride braid spray or s curl.

(OUT OF BRAIDS/LOOSE/PROTECTIVE STYLE)
-oil rinse/detangle with EVOO
-wash with Avalon organics lemon shea clarifying poo or creme of nature for dry hair
-Aphogee 2 minute reconstructer/ protien treatment
-Deep condition with LeKair Cholesterol+EVOO or Yes to Carrots Moisturising mud mask
-put into protective style until next wash day ie flat twist/cornrows/twists

I hate that my hair is so short, i've been natural for 6 years and my texture is 4b/4c. I'm never going to relax my hair again because everytime i have it has fallen out and i don't want to feel like i have to wear extensions for the rest of my life! I feel like braiding is my only option since i really don't like weave and wigs.

what do you guys think? :nono:

Believe your hair can grow! I didn't believe either, but now I do. As others have stated: Moisture/protein balance is sooooo important for healthy ends. And if you can preserve your ends, therein lies retention! (Protective styling/tucking ends away)

I, too, thought that if I looked at the other women in my family it could give me some genetic clue as to why my hair has never been longer than a little past SL in my life. It isn't accurate because NONE of them have seriously ever tried to grow their hair long.

And then that made me think about my own hair history. I thought all I had to do was give up the perm to see growth, but I still engaged in unhealthy hair practices. Also, think about all the haircuts you've ever had. And if you started going to salons at a fairly early age like I did, then your length was pretty much in someone else's scissor happy hands. How many times in your life have you actively cared about the length of your hair versus did you just want a cute style/get it out of your way?

You've started your hair journey and it takes TIME to see growth. How do you even know you're a slow grower? I just assumed because I've never had long hair (When I measured properly, I found out my hair actually grows a little above average)....Sorry so long. HTH

Last edited:

Urban

OP, just a few questions.

1) How do you comb your hair? What do you use? Do you use a particular product? When do you do it etc.

2) Have you ever tried to measure how much breakage you're getting. i.e. looking at how much hair you get in your comb, on your pillowcase, during styling (i.e. when getting braids).

3) Do you keep progress pics?

Everyone is leaning to your problem being breakage and I'm leaning towards that too. But I think if you can answer the above three questions, it'll really help people figure out what's going on.

Aicer

I remember in one thread you said your hair was mushy so that's why I suggested trying the Aphogee 2min every week. I know for me (I'm natural 4a/b also with fine strands) adding more protein (ie using aphogee 2min every wash followed by moisture) has decreased some breakage, but I know other 4bs are very protein sensitive.

-while your hair is wet, Check your strands to see if they stretch a lot then break (need more protein), or just break if pulled (need more moisture).

-If you have fine individual strands mild proteins are good, but if u have coarse thick strands more moisture is best.

-Continue to keep your hair pH balanced to keep porosity in check (ie PC)

-Also using products with ceramides helps with strength and elasticity of hair.

I also forgot to add the aphogee 2min may have to be followed by a moisturizing conditioner. I heard GVP Conditioning balm is very moisturizing.

Hope that helps some!

mscocoface

Explain why you are cutting your hair?

Is it because your ends are uneven or you have split ends or what?

Shadiyah

I think you are using too much protein too often. For me, as a natural, I don't need protein everytime I condition, moisturizing cons are more important.

I was gettng ready to say the same thing. you need new products. try hairveda ends hydration and sufur products bee mine growt serum. protein is not good for me either for 6 yrs I could not retain length until I figured it out. not saying I don't use it at all but I only use like once a month. and like they said only braid and twist your own hair. no brushes in your hair and don't let the braids stay in too long where you hair knots up. I'm teling you you will see a difference. it looks like it really needs some moisture.

wednesday

Explain why you are cutting your hair?

Is it because your ends are uneven or you have split ends or what?

I trimmed because after a cool blow out i noticed my ends were raggedy , i saw a lot of splits. I'm not too concerned about unevenness i just cannot stand split ends and i read it was best to trim them away than to leave them to get worse:perplexed

wednesday

I remember in one thread you said your hair was mushy so that's why I suggested trying the Aphogee 2min every week. I know for me (I'm natural 4a/b also with fine strands) adding more protein (ie using aphogee 2min every wash followed by moisture) has decreased some breakage, but I know other 4bs are very protein sensitive.

-while your hair is wet, Check your strands to see if they stretch a lot then break (need more protein), or just break if pulled (need more moisture).

-If you have fine individual strands mild proteins are good, but if u have coarse thick strands more moisture is best.

-Continue to keep your hair pH balanced to keep porosity in check (ie PC)

-Also using products with ceramides helps with strength and elasticity of hair.

I also forgot to add the aphogee 2min may have to be followed by a moisturizing conditioner. I heard GVP Conditioning balm is very moisturizing.

Hope that helps some!

Yes! Thanks for that advice. I had been using the 2 step hardcore Aphogee treatment every six weeks or so and i actually really liked it but i would DC with LeKair Cholesterol and now i'm realizing that has protein in it too! To be honest ever since i used Sebastian cellophane/laminates on my hair it hasn't really felt the same (although it is getting back to normal slowly but surely), kinda mushy but very dry :ohwell:. I decided to used the 2 minute Aphogee reconstructor and thought i would incorporate it into my weekly regimine. But after reading these comments it's clear that i am getting a lot of things wrong.lol.The whole protein/moisture balance is SO confusing to me, but i guess that comes with the journey and CLEARLY i need to be more patient. I have only been truly taking good care of my hair for just over a year and i have learned SO MUCH by lurking on lhcf, this is only my second post and i'm overwhelmed by the encouragment. I'm going to encorporate more moisture into my regimine. I purchase some Elasta QP DPR11+ (new formula) today since i've heard it's a good moisturing conditioner.

wednesday

OP, just a few questions.

1) How do you comb your hair? What do you use? Do you use a particular product? When do you do it etc.

2) Have you ever tried to measure how much breakage you're getting. i.e. looking at how much hair you get in your comb, on your pillowcase, during styling (i.e. when getting braids).

3) Do you keep progress pics?

Everyone is leaning to your problem being breakage and I'm leaning towards that too. But I think if you can answer the above three questions, it'll really help people figure out what's going on.

1) i tend not to comb my hair unless it is damp/wet with just a wide tooth comb. I normally spray it with some water and add a little leave in ie. Knot Today.

2) A few months ago i was noticing that my ends with snapping of even with simple finger manipulation. When i would put my hair in big braids after a wash and dc i would always notice quite a few short curly strands without the white bulb at the end. This is when i started to used the strong Aphogee. It helped a lot and my hair felt stronger but it didn't completely eliminate the breakage but it still reduced it a lot.

3) i've tried to keep progress pics. I have a few but...it's really not much progress at all:ohwell:.

I think i need to remember that all heads are differnt i see so many amazing hair journeys and progress pics on the site and youtube and get so discouraged. I watch people BC and see how their hair grows even longer than mine in just a year. I've been natural for so long. I gotta figure out what i'm doing wrong!:wallbash: but i also need to stop comparing my journey with others:yep:

wednesday

Believe your hair can grow! I didn't believe either, but now I do. As others have stated: Moisture/protein balance is sooooo important for healthy ends. And if you can preserve your ends, therein lies retention! (Protective styling/tucking ends away)

I, too, thought that if I looked at the other women in my family it could give me some genetic clue as to why my hair has never been longer than a little past SL in my life. It isn't accurate because NONE of them have seriously ever tried to grow their hair long.

And then that made me think about my own hair history. I thought all I had to do was give up the perm to see grow, but I still engaged in unhealthy hair practices. Also, think about all the haircuts you've ever had. And if you started going to salons at a fairly early age like I did, then your length was pretty much in someone else's scissor happy hands. How many times in your life have you actively cared about the length of your hair versus did you just want a cute style/get it out of your way?

You've started your hair journey and it takes TIME to see growth. How do you even know you're a slow grower? I just assumed because I've never had long hair (When I measured properly, I found out my hair actually grows a little above average)....Sorry so long. HTH

you are so right, thanks.:yep:

Tiye

I don't think it's impossible at all. Truthfully...and I know I might get shot for this... but I think that it might be easier for a 4b/4c to retain length than a 4a. I seem to notice more ssk issues in 4a hair than in 4b/c. Also, on youtube.com and on the forum, I don't know any 4a waist lengthers beyond Edenise. All of the natural waist lengthers I know are 4b/4c. *shrugs* I'm not discouraged but it has seriously given me pause to consider a texturizer or a BTK in the past to get rid of the ssks.

??

True though. I didn't know what a ssk was until I saw the threads about people heat training to avoid them. I do heat train but not coz of ssk's coz I've never had any. I'll take heat over a relaxer or bkt. But that's a decision based on my hair type and your situation might be different.

I'm 4B natural and I PS with wigs but I BC last year to 1inch and my hair is shoulder length pushing colar bone in the back; 4B HAIR DOES GROW; a few months back I slacked off on my hair care and my hair was dry, full of SSKs and shedding but now since I figured out that my issue was lack of moisture my is is super soft, little to no SSKs and no shedding; incorporate more moisture, if possible buy a steamer; here are a few products I use:

Giovanni Direct Leave-In
Co-wash ==> Suave Almond and Shea butter, HE Hello Hydration, and I just bought Giovanni Smooth as silk deeper moisture conditionder (paid $12 for salon size at Marshalls)
Henna every six week (this helps strengthen my hair so I don't need protein but you will need to research before incorporating this in your regi)

Most importantly I bought a steamer, my hair LOVES the steamer. Its only been 1 month since I figured out my hair was moisture deficient and extremely thirsty but I've really noticed a difference in how it feels and responds to products.

I didn't know that but it explains why I never felt the need for protein. IMO henna is more convenient - I've never used it more than once every 4-6 weeks whereas what I read here people are using protein sometimes multiple times in the week and it sounds more time consuming than I want to get into. So all that to say definitely research henna and if you don't want the color don't worry about that coz it takes about 3 hours to get the dye release on black hair however you get the conditioning benefits in 30 minutes.

Yes! Thanks for that advice. I had been using the 2 step hardcore Aphogee treatment every six weeks or so and i actually really liked it but i would DC with LeKair Cholesterol and now i'm realizing that has protein in it too! To be honest ever since i used Sebastian cellophane/laminates on my hair it hasn't really felt the same (although it is getting back to normal slowly but surely), kinda mushy but very dry :ohwell:. I decided to used the 2 minute Aphogee reconstructor and thought i would incorporate it into my weekly regimine. But after reading these comments it's clear that i am getting a lot of things wrong.lol.The whole protein/moisture balance is SO confusing to me, but i guess that comes with the journey and CLEARLY i need to be more patient. I have only been truly taking good care of my hair for just over a year and i have learned SO MUCH by lurking on lhcf, this is only my second post and i'm overwhelmed by the encouragment. I'm going to encorporate more moisture into my regimine. I purchase some Elasta QP DPR11+ (new formula) today since i've heard it's a good moisturing conditioner.

Not wrong per se - it's just that there are people on this board with all kinds of hair types and different things work for different people. Also a majority of advice here is not necessarily 4b focused which is okay coz on a fundamental level hair is hair and you can learn from anyone but you still have to be able to extrapolate from what other people are saying and keeping your own hair in mind tweak and modify things as needed so that they work for you.

wednesday

Hey OP,

I feel your frustration with the hair not retaining length. My hair should be much longer now, but due to neglect I had to do a lot of chopping. It grew to below BSL but got stuck there due to my not spending any time on my hair. So I had to cut it to SL earlier this year.

There is something that you said that caught my attention. You said you have mid strand splits. There is something that you are using or doing that is causing this. Whatever it is, stop it. I had a million and one of those. And what would happen is that my hair would grow down and those splits would grow down as well, making the hair look extremely thin. Also, my hair would easily break at those mid shaft splits.

The situation has improved significantly since I stopped going to the hairdresser. They used to brush my hair with a paddle brush while wet. And I would have them blowdry my hair with the pik. I knew better that this wasn't to be done, but internship was hell and I really had no time to be spending on my hair. It was a wonder how I actually reached the hair dresser. Half the time I was sleeping as I was always recovering from duty.

I cosign with the other advice.. moisture is the key, and protect the ends as well. Be really gentle with your hair, it is the most fragile of all the hair types. Wish you all the best.

This is really disturbing me. I have no idea what is causing the mid strand splits and i just know this has everything to do with my breakage and not retaining length. I rarely use heat (i saw the biggest change in my hair when i stopped blow outs) i 'try' to balance my protein and moisture (but failing miserably).Arrrgh! Thanks for your advice:yep:

wednesday

do you have split ends? take a small section of hair, hold it up to the light and look at the ends of the strands. Are there forks on the end? Are there fly-aways in the middle of the strand? Are there bubbles on the strand? Do the strands go from being smooth to have bumps on them?

I had a lot of split ends before my trim and i'm now noticing a few mid strand splits:nono:

wednesday

:lol: You need to post this in the 4B thread. :D

No, but seriously, OP don't give up. I think that what everyone else has said is true. I'm 4B and I am protein sensitive. I do use protein but, in my experience, it must be accompanied with a moisturizing conditioner. I think that part of dealing with one's hair, particularly 4B hair, is learning what works and what doesn't work.

One other suggestion I have is to consider twisting your hair without extensions. For me personally, I found that extensions cut into my hair. Even good quality human hair would compromise my own hair's health. But, Nonie and Mscocoface (my 4B sheroes :lol:) have had a lot of success with extensions. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the encouragement. My hair seems to grow so well in braids with extensions but i need a better regimen to ensure my ends are moisturized in there. Uggghhhhh, i HATE to say it but i think you might be on to something about twisting hair without extensions...i really don't like the way my hair looks in twists without added hair.lol. I've gained weight over the past few years and i think the added fullness and length of extentions is my security blanket. i dunno. when i don't have my hair in kinky twists( i wore micros with human hair for years kinky twists are so much better for my hair) i wear my hair in flat twists or 2 french braids with an afro puff ponytail (see pics). I just put my hair back in kinky twist this past weekend after giving it a rest for a month. After this run i'm gonna try protective styles without adding hair and see if that helps. Thanks again :yep:

Attachments

• IMG00749.jpg
    IMG00749.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG00560 copy.jpg
    IMG00560 copy.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 38910_417698536532_560421532_5179377_5975191_n.jpg
    38910_417698536532_560421532_5179377_5975191_n.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

wednesday

You say you "needed" those trims. I've slowly started to learn my lesson about this. Just because the ends are uneven does not mean it needs a trim. It takes a long time for those so called raggedy ends as the SHS call them to actually "need" a trim. Examine the ends carefully...with a magnifying glass if you have to. If they are not bent, actually split, or transparent and weak looking DO NOT cut them. I stayed at shoulder length or above APL for years becuase someone or even myself was telling me I needed a trim. Forget scissors. Just keep the ends moist and see what happens.

yeah, my ends were definitely split and transparant:sad:

wednesday

Giovanni Direct Leave-In

Where did you buy your steamer? I used to steam my hair all the time back home in London and i loved how it made my hair feel. nothing else comes close. When i moved out to LA i went to so many salons searching for a good steam treatment and NONE of the stylists knew what i was talking about! Even a few natural hair salons seemed perplexed at my request:perplexed. I thought that was really weird. I found that my hair didn't feel moisturized when i sat under a dryer with my DC so i invested in a heat cap and that helped a bit. I did finally find a "natural hair" salon with a steamer i booked an appointment and it was a nightmare. The hairdresser steamed my hair without a processing cap and refused to give me one so i had water and conditioner streaming down my face and neck, she then proceeded to blow out my hair with one of those thin rat tail combs!:look: i could hear the comb ripping through my hair, after she attempted to trim i left ( this has pretty much been my lifetime experience with hair salons so i very rarely visit any). Anyway, if i could find an affordable steamer i will definitely incorporate it into my routine.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

wednesday

I really appreciate everyone's advice and encouragement. Can anyone recommend a good moisturizing conditioner? Today i bought Hello Hydration and Elasta QP DPR 11+. And since i am back in kinky twist can anyone recommend a better braid regimen? And should i cowash whilst in braids or continue to use watered down shampoo?

curlyninjagirl

About breakage issues:

I just started paying close attention to my shed hairs versus broken strands about 5 months ago. Every once in a while I'd find a strand that was down right scary! (Mid-shaft type with chewed up ends.) And that would alarm me.

Then I read a scientific article (thenaturalhaven.blogspot) about hair breakage in afro textured hair that made me realize that breakage may not ever be completely eliminated for me because everything causes natural wear and tear.

What helps me sleep at night when I see breakage is this: With my current regimen, I see about 30 broken hairs on wash day. Even if I have 60 strands of broken hairs a week, that's only 3% of all the hair on my head! That's hardly anything! (There are about 100,000 strands of hair on the human head.)

ETA: I have tried about 15 different conditioners and my staples now, that are the most moisturizing are Yes to Carrots Conditioner and Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose (I use this as a leave in, too)

Last edited:

Urban

1) i tend not to comb my hair unless it is damp/wet with just a wide tooth comb. I normally spray it with some water and add a little leave in ie. Knot Today.

2) A few months ago i was noticing that my ends with snapping of even with simple finger manipulation. When i would put my hair in big braids after a wash and dc i would always notice quite a few short curly strands without the white bulb at the end. This is when i started to used the strong Aphogee. It helped a lot and my hair felt stronger but it didn't completely eliminate the breakage but it still reduced it a lot.

3) i've tried to keep progress pics. I have a few but...it's really not much progress at all:ohwell:.

I think i need to remember that all heads are different i see so many amazing hair journeys and progress pics on the site and youtube and get so discouraged. I watch people BC and see how their hair grows even longer than mine in just a year. I've been natural for so long. I gotta figure out what i'm doing wrong!:wallbash: but i also need to stop comparing my journey with others:yep:

Hi Wednesday.

The first thing I noticed from your answers is that the problem is probably not 'protein overload' as has been suggested by some... seeing as your hair has been breaking with and without the addition of more protein to your regimen. Like you said, it actually seen to even have helped.

In terms of combing, maybe try only combing with conditioner, rather than a leave in. Hello Hydration has already been recommended to you. I'm a 4b and will not comb my hair unless it has HH in it :nono:.

If you're seeing just the ends breaking off, I'd suggest concentrating on then when you detangle, put leave-in and seal. My ends get the first of everything, whether it's leave-in, oil etc, I always make sure my ends get some first and are completely covered. I guess this might be a bit obvious, but just be very aware of your ends in everything you do when you are in your hair - be extra gentle with them. This made a huge difference for me.

Don't be discouraged sweetie. You'll be just fine, once you figure out what's hindering your progress. And this whole thread has some really good suggestions.

Hairsofab

I was able to retain the most growth with tree braids/cornrows under wigs. Basically keeping my hair in cornrows for weeks and weeks. The problem was after a year my hairline began receding a bit. But this is how I retained most of my growth now. I'm thinking about going back to that. But I like wearing my real hair out. But I have absolutely zero retention if I wear it out all the time.

lana

I think you're having trouble retaining the length that you do get.
or
Your genetics allow only a certain length.

I disagree with the thought that our genetics play a role in our hair length. I really feel that length is determined by hair care, retention and trimming. I never thought I would reach right above BSL straightened with my 4a/b hair. But I made it and then some! It was a matter of changing my care of the hair.

My main products: Redken Smooth Down, Keracare Humecto and Mane & Tail Conditioner (for growth and retention). I rarely use protein.

For ME, the key to retaining my length, since I liked to straighten my hair, was Texlaxing (underprocessing my relaxer on purpose!).

If I had maintained my natural hair without ever using heat, I think my growth would have been unreal. I'm happier with my style and look Texlaxed.

Miss_C

First let me just say your hair is lovely:yawn:. But as everyone said before me, I think there's too much protien in your reggie. Ingest your protien and use moisturizing condishes. Some deep conditioners that work for my Type 4 hair are: Keracare Humecto, Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Treatment (olive and jojoba oil added), Miss Keys 10 in 1. Have you tried any natural products like AOHSR or AOWC? I find that my hair responds very well to these products, maybe yours will too. Also, maybe the extensions are adding too much stress to your head, try to just do twists.
Good luck!:yep: