Rick Ross on Lift Every Voice (BET)

hair_rehab

Did anyone catch that show this morning? I saw the previews yesterday and I was curious and confused about why he would be on a gospel program??

Last edited:

PaperClip

I saw Fantasia on Bobby Jones Gospel recently and she sang w/more passion (versus production) than some of the so-called "gospel" artists

So what's the question?

Highly Favored8

I saw Fantasia on Bobby Jones Gospel recently and she sang w/more passion (versus production) than some of the so-called "gospel" artists

So what's the question?

I think the question the OP was asking was Did any one see the show with Rick Ross? If I am wrong forgive me.:yep:

meka

Maybe so... probably so... but the inclusion of "curious and confused about why he would be on a gospel program??" is what prompted my response.

Foxy girl, I love you...you be on IT!!!

But yeah, I read it like "what in the heck is HE doing on there, he is NOT saved".......

I don't listen to his music so I don't know what he raps about but, hey that's between him and God.

PaperClip

But yeah, I read it like "what in the heck is HE doing on there, he is NOT saved".......

I don't listen to his music so I don't know what he raps about but, hey that's between him and God.

I don't listen to his music, either... don't know who he is or what his hook is about that gives him any noteriety....

It's sort of the Mary Mary thread in reverse.... People getting boxed into categories that they may not have volunteered to be in.... or, in this case, Rick Ross may be having a spiritual change and this appearance is the start of his spiritual makeover...but he keeps getting pulled and/or pushed back into the old ways...if that is his story....

Dave Hollister is one recent example: he used to sing with Backstreet.... He got saved or came back to the Lord and now he sings gospel.... Maybe his appearances on gospel shows got the same kind of questions....

Highly Favored8

I did not know he is not saved? I mean do you know if he is saved?

Highly Favored8

I am not even going to speculate about if Rick Ross is saved or not b/c IDK. However, I am happy that he is trying to reach out to 50 cent. I liked the fact he spoke about forgivness.

meka

I did not know he is not saved? I mean do you know if he is saved?

I dont know if he is or not. I said, based on the first few responses in this thread, most people felt he had no business being on the show b/c he is not saved or does not "fit" or look like he is.

momi

So what's the question?

Maybe because he is not a gospel singer??? I think it is a legit question.

PaperClip

Maybe because he is not a gospel singer??? I think it is a legit question.

And what defines a gospel singer? The kinds of songs included on a CD? The person who says they are a gospel singer? A person who has not said they are a gospel singer but have put out gospel albums? And exactly what is a gospel album? Is that based on the record company? The kinds of songs on a CD?

Who has the right/authority to say that Rick Ross is or is not a gospel singer?

Hotmommak

Dang!!! She just asked why a RAPPER, who does not rap about god, or too many positive/good things, was on a gospel program. She didn't say the show needed to be canceled or that anyone was going to hell b/c he was on there! Lighten up a little, peeps!

Also, I find the question as to whether or not 50 watches the show to be legit b/c why would rick ross be on there to make amends with 50???? Anywhoo...I hope that it is something like what Foxy said, and he is reaching out to God...that would be good. :)

momi

And what defines a gospel singer? The kinds of songs included on a CD? The person who says they are a gospel singer? A person who has not said they are a gospel singer but have put out gospel albums? And exactly what is a gospel album? Is that based on the record company? The kinds of songs on a CD?

Who has the right/authority to say that Rick Ross is or is not a gospel singer?[/quote]

re bolded:

My personal definition of Gospel Music - Sharing the good news of Jesus via music.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Rick Ross NOT a gospel singer - unless I have been asleep for a few thousand years and the gospel is really about "Hittin U From the BacK"
Rick Ross
Hit U From The Back lyrics

Ya see sugar I been yernin to hold you now I'ma be strate up and down witcha 'cause dats the only way I
Know how to be now baby ima ask u one thing can I hold ya

Cock cock ya legs
Let me hitcha from the back
Cock cock cock ya legs
Let me hitcha form the back
Cock cock cock ya legs
Hitcha from the back hitcha from the back [x

:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

PaperClip

Who has the right/authority to say that Rick Ross is or is not a gospel singer?[/quote]

re bolded:

My personal definition of Gospel Music - Sharing the good news of Jesus via music.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Rick Ross NOT a gospel singer - unless I have been asleep for a few thousand years and the gospel is really about "Hittin U From the BacK"
Rick Ross
Hit U From The Back lyrics

Ya see sugar I been yernin to hold you now I'ma be strate up and down witcha 'cause dats the only way I
Know how to be now baby ima ask u one thing can I hold ya

Cock cock ya legs
Cock cock cock ya legs
Let me hitcha form the back
Cock cock cock ya legs
Hitcha from the back hitcha from the back [x

:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

One song defines a music artist's entire portfolio? One song defines a music artist's spirituality?

It's the Mary Mary thread in reverse.

I'm not defending Rick Ross. As I said upthread: I don't know this entertainer or what makes him notable. But the presumptions around labeling has to stop. It's misleading and intrusive.

momi

One song defines a music artist's entire portfolio? One song defines a music artist's spirituality?

I'm not defending Rick Ross. As I said upthread: I don't know this entertainer or what makes him notable. But the presumptions around labeling has to stop. It's misleading and intrusive.

What is misleading and intrusive is having an artist that is living a life contrary to what God has called us to. It sends the wrong signal to a new convert or immature Christian who may tune in:

Romans 16:17-18

17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Absolutely this song and the severity of the lyrics should speak to his spirutial state. We are to know Christians by their fruit. The bible is clear on this:
Matthew 7:15-23

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These are basic biblical truths that have been basically overlooked in many areas of the body of Christ. The Lord is not playing around with us negotiating on the word He has called us to live out. We are to live so that anyone looking for evil works in us may be ashamed. (Titus 2)

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I dare not say Rick Ross isn't saved or that he's not a Christian, because I don't know that. That's between him and God. I dare not say Mary, Mary isn't saved and they are not Christians. But there's a powerful chapter in Matthew that helps guide us. It also can address what I think this thread is probably concerning:

Matthew 7

Verses 17-18: A good tree produces good fruit, and a bad tree produces bad fruit. A good tree can’t produce bad fruit, and a bad tree can’t produce good fruit.

Just the same, not everyone who is saved or lives a Christian life is guaranteed a place in Heaven:

Verse 21:
Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter."

This entire chapter in Matthew is a good read; but I don't think the OP's question was ill-intentioned. God isn't one to be mocked, you either serve him or you don't. What's on the inside always works its way outward, if God truly is in control of a person's life. I don't like to see "artists" use God's name only when it's convenient -- in this case, to quell a beef -- then continue (or go right back back to) singing songs that don't edify God.

I had a similar argument with a friend about "categories" and, I agree with you that music (though there are genres) shouldn't be so easily categorized. Music is universal.

Still we should praise him in all things, not just in some, or when it is convenient for us. I just saw the clip and I know who Rick Ross is and I've heard his music before. I was surprised to see him on the show, too.

Last edited:

Laela

Momi, I guess I was writing/editing my response around the time you were. :)

Very good Scriptures!

PaperClip

What is misleading and intrusive is having an artist that is living a life contrary to what God has called us to. It sends the wrong signal to a new convert or immature Christian who may tune in:

Romans 16:17-18

17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Absolutely this song and the severity of the lyrics should speak to his spirutial state. We are to know Christians by their fruit. The bible is clear on this:
Matthew 7:15-23

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These are basic biblical truths that have been basically overlooked in many areas of the body of Christ. The Lord is not playing around with us negotiating on the word He has called us to live out. We are to live so that anyone looking for evil works in us may be ashamed. (Titus 2)

From this argument, such criticisms are MISDIRECTED. The criticisms shouldn't be on Rick Ross but on the hosts and producers of the BET show. Does this show require that guests sign a statement or profess their Christian faith prior to being on the show? Is there some kind of written or unwritten rule or policy that only "professed" Christians appear on this show?

And exactly what wrong signal is being sent? According to previous posts, Rick Ross talked about forgiveness, which is a major biblical principle. Did Rick sing the lyrics to the song you listed on the show?

Last edited:

pearlygurl

To answer your question OP...here is the synopsis of the show from bet.com

The all new LIFT EVERY VOICE is a half-hour program featuring insightful testimonies from some of mainstream and Gospel’s biggest and brightest stars. The show focuses on the guests' journeys with the Lord in their everyday life. The show also provides an opportunity for our guests to advise others who are living similar experiences on how they can use faith to overcome adversities.

http://www.bet.com/OnTV/BETShows/liftvoice/default.htm

According to this description, finding someone like Rick Ross on this show wouldn't be out the norm. :yep:

PaperClip

The all new LIFT EVERY VOICE is a half-hour program featuring insightful testimonies from some of mainstream and Gospel’s biggest and brightest stars. The show focuses on the guests' journeys with the Lord in their everyday life. The show also provides an opportunity for our guests to advise others who are living similar experiences on how they can use faith to overcome adversities.

According to this description, finding someone like Rick Ross on this show wouldn't be out the norm. :yep:

Well... this information addresses several points in this thread....

It's interesting though.... this show blurs the line between the secular and sacred.... which could be a good or bad thing.... So if a new or weak Christian sees their favorite MAINSTREAM artist on this show "advising others who are living similar experiences on how they can use faith to overcome adversities", where's the line between living a sacred versus a secular life? Is it a mixed message when one's favorite MAINSTREAM artist has a song with the lyrics "Cock cock ya legs Let me hitcha from the back" but yet they are on this show advising others about how to apply faith to a situation.... Mainstream artists have faith, too? Hmmmm....

Interesting....

Laela

Therein lies the danger to shows like that. Not everything we watch on TV is good for our spiritual lives. A young child not living in a Christian environment would watch that show and think that we can live a secular life and still please God, so long as we acknowledge him in some way.... 'I'd like to thank God, my mother and my family for this award'....

inthepink

Well... this information addresses several points in this thread....

It's interesting though.... this show blurs the line between the secular and sacred.... which could be a good or bad thing.... So if a new or weak Christian sees their favorite MAINSTREAM artist on this show "advising others who are living similar experiences on how they can use faith to overcome adversities", where's the line between living a sacred versus a secular life? Is it a mixed message when one's favorite MAINSTREAM artist has a song with the lyrics "Cock cock ya legs Let me hitcha from the back" but yet they are on this show advising others about how to apply faith to a situation.... Mainstream artists have faith, too? Hmmmm....

Interesting....

See, this is where I'd have an issue with it. It kind of sends a mixed message of what it means to be a Christian. Be a Christian and don't make any changes. Some things are just obviously not glorifying God. :nono: