Product Review: Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier (w/ pics)

westNDNbeauty

Never really heard of this spray until I was at the beauty supply attempting to locate CURLS products locally.

I had been in search of Knot Today for a few weeks and it seemed that every store was out of stock. This Taliah Waajid mist caught my eye initially because it resembled Kinky Curly's Knot Today. I must say I am QUITE happy to have found it (Sorry, Kinky Curly. Ya'll should have been on your Ps & Qs and gotten Knot Today back on shelves in quicker fashion:look:).

Pros:
1. It comes in a spray bottle - You can spray directly onto styles w/o having to alter your braids or curly style with too much manipulation or you can spray in your palm as you would with any other moisturizer (See a video about my Braid n' Curl Maintenance where I used this product as my daily moisturizer).

2. Price - under $8, compared to $12 Knot Today

3. Scent - Reminds me of relaxing on the beach with tanning oil. It smells very tropical (coconut-ish scent).

4. MOISTURE, MOISTURE, MOISTURE!

5. Makes my curls POP! - For some reason, my hair appears MORE curly than usual....considering I am a kinky 4a kinda girl. (See pics below)

6. Easy access to your roots - Due to the spray nozzle, you are able to moisturize your roots easily

7. Soft Hair - Your hair will feel extremely soft and moisturized

Cons:
1. Distribution - Taliah Waajid products are sold in certain markets/stores

2. Coated feeling - Some reviewers on YT complain of a coated feeling, but if you can use Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream, then you should have no problem using this and dealing with the "coated" feeling.

3. Bottle finishes fast - When you become addicted to how super soft your hair feels with this product, you are going to use it everyday, multiple times a day (especially with the easy of the spray nozzle).

Pic 1 - Hair after Henna, Shampoo & Condition (Henna loosened my curls)
Pic 2 & 3 - Hair once dried with of use Protective Mist Bodifier to 2 strand twist.

Overall, I think I am inclined to try another product from her line based on this product alone. Any recommendations?

Disclaimer: Avoid accidental plagiarism and reference this thread, my YT channel or simply contact me when in doubt.

Ms Lala

This my favorite moisturizer. I'm convinced it helped me get to my current length. It is great for detangling and it keeps my hair super soft. I have to follow up w/some type of oil to seal for it to be most effective. It helps activate my curls too when I want to rock a puff.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've had this in my hand several times because of that long thread about it here but put it down because I didn't like the smell but if it works this well I just might try it.

hair4romheaven

I buy it by the gallon from her shop in Atlanta. Taaliah use to do my hair years ago when she was still in her shop. Only if I would've listened to her at went natural at that time. ;-(
Mix it with water it stretches it and works just the same.

favoured

Thanks for the reminder! I bought this like two weeks ago and it's still sitting under my sink. I need to use it sometime this week..lol

SiobhanM

The first couple of bottles I had my hair loved it! I dont know what happened. Its like my hair just got used to it and hates it now. I clarified and used Roux so i dont know. Im pissed because that was going to be my moisturizer for life.

Ms Lala

I buy it by the gallon from her shop in Atlanta. Taaliah use to do my hair years ago when she was still in her shop. Only if I would've listened to her at went natural at that time. ;-(

I mix mine w/water too. It actually works better that way for me. I use an old bottle and dilute a little at a time. 1 bottle can get me through 2 months.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

I agree :grin: I use this stuff 1-2x a week. I mix mine equally with AVJ and it works the same. If I had looser curls then I would have used more AVJ less Mist. Try diluting it differently each time and see how it works for you. This stuff has saved my hair at the demarcation line. It encases my hair in a moisture bubble. APL here I come (in a few months)

I wish I could find it in a larger container locally. I am going to have to just buckle and purchase the half gallon from her site.

e.lauren

I looove these products. I stopped using them when I came to Boston because I thought they were only sold privately and I knooow they are hard to find.

First bought them from a natural hair salon in Hartford, CT.

BrownBetty

I looove these products. I stopped using them when I came to Boston because I thought they were only sold privately and I knooow they are hard to find.

First bought them from a natural hair salon in Hartford, CT.

Flora's in Codman sq. carries it

Missjae09

I too have fallen in love with this product! I was brought to my attention by the off duty police officer who does security at the bss that i frequent! lol This product provides awesome moisture!! and like you I want to try some of her other products (I'm considering her conditioner)... but I'm a serious PJ so I'm trying to fight the urge.

I do find myself spraying it twice a day for the heck of it bc i love the way it makes my hair feel. especially when I'm wore a puff.. my puff was highly hydrated!!

Missjae09

Where is her shop in Atlanta?

pmichael52172

westNDNbeauty, watched your vids (especially the straightening one) LOVE LOVE LOVE your hair! Subscribed. Thanks for the review also.

Babylilac

This spray is my second baby!!!!!!!Both DD and I have natural hair and we both use the conditioner as well its great for DD's hair not mine though.

mahogany66

I purchased this spray a couple of years ago when I was relaxed. It was tooo moisturizing for my wrap styles, so I stopped using it. I should pick up a bottle now since I am natural.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I love this product, I dilute mine as well. Her Enhancing herbal conditioner is good too, lots of slip and her black earth shampoo is nice as well.

nisha98

I just purchased last weekend and I think I like as well on my twists. I'm in the metro Atlanta area and I got mine at Target so maybe that helps with the ease of purchase. I've also seen it in many local BSS.

TruMe

I absolutely LOVE this product as well. I used it, loved it, decided to try another brand (just to widen my selection), did NOT like the other selection and went right back to Taliah. I do have to say though that my hair does not like the shampoo and conditioner but the rest of my family uses the entire line and they LOVE it!!

Another website to go to for ordering:
www.treasuredlocks.com

LadyMacgyver

I love it too and need to re-stock.. She also has 2 new products out The curl Cream and the Great Detangler.. I haven't seen them in the stores yet but I really want to try both of them. I have the Moisture Clenz when I have braid in and I love that.. I also have the Oyl.. I want to try the conditioner also I heard so many great things about that

Attachments

• detangler_curlcream.jpg
    detangler_curlcream.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 24

Stormy

Hey ladies! If any of you are in Cobb County (Atlanta) her products are sold on Cobb Parkway at a black owned BSS down the street from Cumberland Mall (forgot the name, but I can tell you exactly where it is) and at an Asian BSS on Powder Springs Road in Marietta.

That's on my list to try next. Thanks for the reviews. :yep:

Ms Lala

I love it too and need to re-stock.. She also has 2 new products out The curl Cream and the Great Detangler.. I haven't seen them in the stores yet but I really want to try both of them. I have the Moisture Clenz when I have braid in and I love that.. I also have the Oyl.. I want to try the conditioner also I heard so many great things about that

Why did you go posting this? Now I have to buy it. :spinning:

LadyMacgyver

Why did you go posting this? Now I have to buy it. :spinning:

:blush: Sorry but I didn't want to be in on this purchase alone..:grin: I am going to look for it this weekend.. Since transitioning my natural hair is dry all the time and I really need to find something that will help me with that..

Let me know if and when you buy it..

Harina

This my favorite moisturizer. I'm convinced it helped me get to my current length. It is great for detangling and it keeps my hair super soft. I have to follow up w/some type of oil to seal for it to be most effective. It helps activate my curls too when I want to rock a puff.
What oils do you seal with, Ms. Lala?

I've had this in my hand several times because of that long thread about it here but put it down because I didn't like the smell but if it works this well I just might try it.

You know, I'm not crazy about the smell either. It's not terrible, it's just a little weird...Does anybody add any essential oils to it or something to make it smell better.

I mix mine w/water too. It actually works better that way for me. I use an old bottle and dilute a little at a time. 1 bottle can get me through 2 months.

I mix with water too!!! It was too thick for my fine strands.

I do find myself spraying it twice a day for the heck of it bc i love the way it makes my hair feel. especially when I'm wore a puff.. my puff was highly hydrated!!

I've been doing this too. I need to stop because I'm in braids and I know I'm going to have build up city when I take them down.