porosity - the forgotten step

are you aware of the pH of your products? you can select more than one option.

• I am aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 48 13.1%
  • I am not aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 128 34.9%
  • I have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I do not have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I have no clue what you're talking about

Votes: 119 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

newflowers

I was doing my hair yesterday, and, of course, used my Porosity Control, as one of the steps after using clarifying shampoo and a little protein. For those who use this product, you know what great results happen when you lower the pH, the cuticles lie down, and the conditioners you apply work even better. So I was in the hair zone where I feel my hair is so strong and silky, and I'm really happy with my progress. It occurred to me that there are a number of new members who have dryness, strength, products, breakage, tangling issues, and perhaps what they have is lifted cuticle issues - which can be fixed by acidifying the hair, thus the need for Porosity Control, a properly prepared acv rinse, or being aware of the pH of your hair products.

For a time, there were a number of posts about porosity but not so many lately that I've noticed. What do you ladies think - how are you hardening the hair shaft after treating it? Are you using products to ensure the cuticle lie flat? For the newer ladies, are you in the know (and I'm late as usual) about the need to lower the pH of your hair? Do you know the pH of your water and hair products and the difference between/importance of alkaline or acid levels in your hair products?

I'm going to try to include a poll, something I've never done before.

Denise11

I'm not sure but I think it was Supergirl that has a thread on Porosity and how to treat it with protein.

I just read it a couple of days ago. My new hair care products took care of my chronic dryness, so I guess the shortage of protein was my problem.

No. It wasn't Supergirl. I read in through a link that a LHCF member Neith gave.

Last edited:

Denise11

I want to know too. Was that link correct. I want to make sure my porosity is balanced but I don't need more products, I already have way too many.

frizzy

I don't understand using PC types of products before conditioning, wouldn't that lock out the conditioner? Can somebody 'splain?

Stepiphanie

I also need some clarification on exactly how to use PC? and How often? I bought the product used it maybe 2xs and it just sits there..

newflowers

Porosity is the measure of the hair's ability to absorb moisture. This is determined by the condition of the hair's cuticle layer (the overlapping scales of the hair shaft), and is rated as low, normal, and high. In normal, healthy hair, the cuticle is compact and inhibits the penetration of the hair shaft by moisture - both moisture going in, and moisture coming out. When the cuticle is overly compact and prevents the penetration of the hair by moisture it has low porosity. Hair with low porosity is harder to process, and is resistant to haircolor and perms. Low porosity hair must usually be softened prior to other chemical services. Hair with high porosity is hair whose cuticle layer is open and the hair too-readily absorbs moisture. Overly-porous hair also releases moisture easily and becomes dry and is easily damaged. Acid-balanced conditioning treatments are used to contract the cuticle layer and lock-in moisture on overly-porous hair. (hairfinder.com)

Also of interest is this website (http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_toc.htm) which has tons of information about hair - some of the attached pictures come from this site.

picture 1 - smooth cuticle/normal cuticle/ lifted cuticle (porous hair).
picture 2 - a healthy hair shaft with flat cuticles
picture 3 - hair shaft with cuticles lifted (porous hair)
picture 4 - hair shaft with cuticles lift - note how hair rub/twist around each other
picture 5 - just a gross picture of a split end

The use of a product that lowers the hair's pH causes the cuticles to lie flat which results in smooth hair with the moisture locked in. The hair retains moisture and is less likely to tangle and break.

Attachments

• hair cuticle 7.jpg
    hair cuticle 7.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 157
  • hair cuticle 1.jpg
    hair cuticle 1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 121
  • hair cuticle 6.gif
    hair cuticle 6.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 115
  • hair cuticle 2.jpg
    hair cuticle 2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 116
  • hair cuticle 3.jpg
    hair cuticle 3.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

guyanesesista

I've been thinking about PC lately. My hair been hard to style for a while now and doesn't seen to hold moisture that well. I plan on buying some PC. Please tell us when we're supposed to use it. Before or after DC?

Patricia

I have a thread about it on my blog. I've learned this the hard way. Once I incorporated the porosity control, my hair has never felt better. My hair has "slip" now.
Blog. can you pm me the web address Thanks supermodelsonya

good thread

Last edited:

newflowers

Please educate us, that would be great! Also what is the perfect acv rinse?

I included some pictures, a bit more information, and a link to get yet more information. And the "perfect" acv rinse would be one in which the proportions of acid (vinegar) and water have a pH which closes the cuticles. I use 1/2 cup of Braggs in 2 quarts of water - my hair is smooth afterwards. This is perfect for me- we already know that each of us my find perfect for her own hair. I think if you use an acv rinse and your hair feels rough, the proportions should be adjusted to met your hair's needs.

I also need some clarification on exactly how to use PC? and How often? I bought the product used it maybe 2xs and it just sits there..

My hair products have a low pH, so I use Porosity Control on the days when I use a chelating or clarifying shampoo or after a protein treatment - which for me is every three weeks or so. How often you use PC would depend on your hair and the products you use. If you're experiencing dryness, I would suggest you give PC a try more often with your deep conditioning and protein treatments - maybe once a week until you get the dryness issue under control.

I have been using Porosity Control mixed in with my DC. Should I continue to use it this way or use it before I DC?

I don't mix products in that way, so I cannot say. Ultimately, if the mix is working for you, then you don't have a problem. I dc with heat which lifts the cuticles and then use PC which closes them. Using a clarifying or chelating shampoo also lifts the cuticles, so I use PC then as well.

I have a thread about it on my blog. I've learned this the hard way. Once I incorporated the porosity control, my hair has never felt better. My hair has "slip" now.

So, so true - it's a simple step that I knew nothing about before I came here to LHCF, but it's a step that makes all of the difference. I'm hoping this post and the responses by more experienced members will help some of the newer members.

rainbowknots

This may be the answer to my problem, my hair still breaks no matter what I do to it. I'll subscribe for more information

newflowers

I've been thinking about PC lately. My hair been hard to style for a while now and doesn't seen to hold moisture that well. I plan on buying some PC. Please tell us when we're supposed to use it. Before or after DC?

I use PC after the dc because the heat of the dryer lifts the cuticles allowing the conditioner to penetrate the hair shaft. I also use during my relaxer process.

BeautifulFlower

I have recently included Roux Porosity Control into my regimen, especially for before I heat style my hair. It makes a big difference in my hair.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I don't understand using PC types of products before conditioning, wouldn't that lock out the conditioner? Can somebody 'splain?

I thought the same so I would do my ACV rinse after DC, especailly when using heat. Hope someone can help clarify

deusa80

Porosity is the measure of the hair's ability to absorb moisture. This is determined by the condition of the hair's cuticle layer (the overlapping scales of the hair shaft), and is rated as low, normal, and high. In normal, healthy hair, the cuticle is compact and inhibits the penetration of the hair shaft by moisture - both moisture going in, and moisture coming out. When the cuticle is overly compact and prevents the penetration of the hair by moisture it has low porosity. Hair with low porosity is harder to process, and is resistant to haircolor and perms. Low porosity hair must usually be softened prior to other chemical services. Hair with high porosity is hair whose cuticle layer is open and the hair too-readily absorbs moisture. Overly-porous hair also releases moisture easily and becomes dry and is easily damaged. Acid-balanced conditioning treatments are used to contract the cuticle layer and lock-in moisture on overly-porous hair. (hairfinder.com)

Also of interest is this website (http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_toc.htm) which has tons of information about hair - some of the attached pictures come from this site.

picture 1 - smooth cuticle/normal cuticle/ lifted cuticle (porous hair).
picture 2 - a healthy hair shaft with flat cuticles
picture 3 - hair shaft with cuticles lifted (porous hair)
picture 4 - hair shaft with cuticles lift - note how hair rub/twist around each other
picture 5 - just a gross picture of a split end

The use of a product that lowers the hair's pH causes the cuticles to lie flat which results in smooth hair with the moisture locked in. The hair retains moisture and is less likely to tangle and break.

Thanks for this!! This is very timely. I just posted a thread yesterday about my hair and it seems I have a porosity issue...so this is good to know!:grin:

newflowers

I thought the same so I would do my ACV rinse after DC, especailly when using heat. Hope someone can help clarify

I use PC after I deep condition my hair and after I use a chelating or clarifying shampoo because the heat lifts the cuticle, and the PC lowers it to make the hair shaft smooth again. I use both an acv rinse and PC during my relaxer process which makes a significant positive difference in my hair.

My point is writing this post is not to tell others how to do their hair; I would not presume to know which products or processes work best for someone else's hair. In my home, my hair and each of my daughters hair all require different methods and products - everyone's hair is different. My point is to inform some of the newer members about the need to seal the cuticle with a product that has a low pH which some may or may not need. For instance, if you are using Keracare products, the pH is low, so you may not need this step. I don't use that product line, but I have read about it, and it advertises the pH level on the bottle. I use Phyto - same thing - lower pH. I am certain there are a number of other products that have low pH.

Do you know the pH of your products? Of your water? For those who seem to be doing everything right but still have problems with dryness and breakage, lowering the pH could well be the missing step in their hair care regimes. Some may use a pH lowering product at various times in the hair care process. Other may use products that have a low pH and not need to make any changes. I think having the necessary information to properly care for our hair in the single most important step in doing so.

newflowers

How do you use it DURING the relaxer process???

After I prepare my hair for the relaxer, I apply the relaxer, Next I rinse, use a protein/reconstructor concoction, rinse, neutralize, rinse, acv rinse, neutralize a few more time, use a chelating shampoo, rinse, use the remainder of the concoction, rinse, deep condition usually with heat, rinse, use PC, rinse - that's my relaxer process.

I did not mean to be unclear - I do not use the product in the relaxer.

taz007

After I prepare my hair for the relaxer, I apply the relaxer, Next I rinse, use a protein/reconstructor concoction, rinse, neutralize, rinse, acv rinse, neutralize a few more time, use a chelating shampoo, rinse, use the remainder of the concoction, rinse, deep condition usually with heat, rinse, use PC, rinse - that's my relaxer process.

I did not mean to be unclear - I do not use the product in the relaxer.

Thank you so much for replying! Your relaxer "process" sounds just like the one that I employ.

Denise11

I think I'm gonna get the Porosity Control Conditioner. I just found a 32oz bottle for $10 at a BSS near me. I think I can try it for that price.

deusa80

Ok, can I do an acv rinse and use PC the same day? If so, which one would I use first?

I was thinking Co-wash, DC w/heat, PC and then finally avc rinse... might this work? And if I wanted to add a quick protein treatment(like 2-5 mins), would this go inbetween the cowash and DC?

Sorry for all the questions...I just wanna make sure I do this correctly!

TIA

newflowers

Ok, can I do an acv rinse and use PC the same day? If so, which one would I use first?

I was thinking Co-wash, DC w/heat, PC and then finally avc rinse... might this work? And if I wanted to add a quick protein treatment(like 2-5 mins), would this go inbetween the cowash and DC?

Sorry for all the questions...I just wanna make sure I do this correctly!

TIA

I think that the acv rinse and the porosity control do the same thing - you only need to do one.