What… you don't get your hair done every 2 weeks?

Every 2 weeks salon customers.. do you roll like that?

• Yes, of course, I need to stay looking fly..let someone else wash it

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, I wash my hair and style my hair myself

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • It depends on if I have a special event.

Votes: 12 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I've been a DIYer for years.

It's raining tonight, and a man selling umbrellas outside said, "Come on. Buy an umbrella. It makes no sense messing up that $150 hairstyle."

Misseyl

I pamper myself every weekend when I wash, condition and twist my hair. That's the gift I give to myself. It will take me probably 4 hours to do everything but nobody is going to do the things I do with such love and devotion. When I was relaxed, I visited a Dominican salon for years and I didn't achieve the long hair I desired so what's the use.

brownb83

People in my family get offended and call me plain because I do my own hair.

I'm from Detroit though :look:

PlainJane

Growing up, I had a standing salon appointment every single week for years. Mostly because my mom didn't want to be bothered with my hair nor knew how to do it.

Now, since I stopped relaxing my hair, I don't go to the salon. I don't like having to schedule a time to go, explain how i want my hair done, explain the dos and donts, eye the products their using, listen to the stylist offer their suggestions about the health of my hair, and paying to do something this board has taught me how to do. I honestly can't remember one time where I've been completely pleased with my hair or the experience so I just avoid it now.

In the future, I will probably only go to super cuts to get trims once my hair gets longer and I'm maintaining a certain length.

danysedai

Growing up in Cuba, going to the salon every weekend to get her hair and nails done was something my mom did, and most women of her generation. I think most women now do the same,as it's hard to get hair products and hair tools especially (flat irons, hair dryers, standing hair dryers) so women go the salon (I'm talking about bootleg salons in someone's homes, the rest of the salons which are few are state-run and really bad, on Saturday morning there would be a long line for the hairdryers, you would be waiting there for a loooong time)

Since I came to Canada, I used to go to my Dominican friend's home salon for a relaxer every 2/3 months but since she passed away I do my own relaxers. I have a Pibbs, a hair dryer, flat iron, rollers, clips, everything I need and I know how to use them. Now I only go for a special haircut like the bangs I had cut for my birthday.

BostonMaria

image-1315066805.jpg

Scrolling through old pictures today made me realize just how messed up my hair used to be in the hands of stylists. It was my own fault for allowing them to use soooo much heat. Plus the relaxers were slowly thinning my hair out.

The picture on the right is me in 2004 - I was 33
The picture on the right is me in May 2014 - I'm 43

Naveah2050

Scrolling through old pictures today made me realize just how messed up my hair used to be in the hands of stylists. It was my own fault for allowing them to use soooo much heat. Plus the relaxers were slowly thinning my hair out. The picture on the right is me in 2004 - I was 33 The picture on the right is me in May 2014 - I'm 43

I am mad just looking at this comparison - same thing that happened to me, I wasted so much money and time on those useless stylists