Response video to comments about Maximum Hydration

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
So I was thinking about trying MHM and I had already begun purchasing items in order to try it when I came across this video

http://youtu.be/rYtfK1bo-MI

detailing why this Youtuber will never try it. She bought up some issues that really do concern me about the method.

Any thoughts from the LHCF community?

Honey Bee

She bought up some issues that really do concern me about the method.

Any thoughts from the LHCF community?
I saw it back when it was first posted. It was forwarded around the MHM crew. I can't recall anything substantive aside from the ph issue which I think is overblown. There are people right here on this board with lovely hair who've been using bs and acv for five years. I'm not one of them, but they exist. Further, if you're like me, hi po and not really into playing with ph, just use the acv... or shampoo. :look: It ain't that serious. People modify the method all the time. :shrug:

NaturallyATLPCH

i don't see any big deal about this method. Someone just took several things that people have been doing for years, put a series of steps in it, and call it something. People kill me doing that and creating yet another band wagon for people to jump on. Are these people certified chemists or have any scientific knowledge that support these methods to make it a "method"?

I read through it from the home page and was like, where are these percentages coming from? Who's defining them?

But, hey, people are trying it and are loving it, just like the Tightly Curly method, the Curly Girl methods, and any other "method" that works for their hair and convince others it works. I am interested in the long term effects of this on the hair in the long run.

Just my opinion. *shrugs*

koolkittychick

The more I looked into this MHM, the more it seemed to me like the following:

1. Yet another way to avoid dealing with the realities of type 4 hair by making it look and partially act like type-something-else hair.
  2. A mild chemical process designed to alter the natural state of your hair; whether permanently or not, time will tell judging by how many people stay on the current bandwagon with little or no damage to their hair afterward.
  3. Yet another fad in the quest for the "perfect curl."
  4. A fad that will have about as much success as BKT (remember how that was going to replace relaxers as the "healthy" way to straighten curly hair?).
  5. Too. Damn. Much. Time. And. Effort. Just for badly shrunken hair. How about those who want to show their length?
  6. A way for people to make a little money off of desperate Black women looking for liberation from their 4c/z/*&# hair. I heard the originators of the method had their first seminar on the method not too long ago. I wonder if they charged for attendance, and how much. :ohwell:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I dont understand how its a fad BUT then again Ive been doing this for years.

Cherry lola, my boo thang since 2011

Clay washes my boo thang since 2005

Thats all I take from this "MHM" Ive been doing "botanical gels" avoiding , coconut, aloe and protein but then again, Thats just me.

Folks have added salt to conditioner , warmed coconut , coconut lime relaxer, caramel treatment all in the quest for soft hair or "curly" hair. It is what it is

Honey Bee

i don't see any big deal about this method. Someone just took several things that people have been doing for years, put a series of steps in it, and call it something. People kill me doing that and creating yet another band wagon for people to jump on. Are these people certified chemists or have any scientific knowledge that support these methods to make it a "method"?

1. Yet another way to avoid dealing with the realities of type 4 hair by making it look and partially act like type-something-else hair.
  2. A mild chemical process designed to alter the natural state of your hair; whether permanently or not, time will tell judging by how many people stay on the current bandwagon with little or no damage to their hair afterward.
  4. A fad that will have about as much success as BKT (remember how that was going to replace relaxers as the "healthy" way to straighten curly hair?).
  5. Too. Damn. Much. Time. And. Effort. Just for badly shrunken hair. How about those who want to show their length?
  6. A way for people to make a little money off of desperate Black women looking for liberation from their 4c/z/*&# hair. I heard the originators of the method had their first seminar on the method not too long ago. I wonder if they charged for attendance, and how much. :ohwell:

Lawd. This is what happens on the internet.

First of all, Pinke Cube, the founder of the 'method', has never claimed to be a scientist. She's just some chick who baggied for a few months consistently and saw a change.

Second, she isn't selling anything. :rolleyes: Clay and ACV is widely available and quite cheap.

Third, frizz is not a hair type. My hair frizzed relaxed. :lol: Anything I can do to lessen it is a gift from heaven.

Much like the video in the OP, people have all kinda opinions without knowing jack which, I guess, if that's how you live life, that's fine, but :yawn: @ accusing people of hating their textures. It's an unimaginative, facile argument that really has no bearing on a system based on moisturizing your hair. Since when is that a bad thing? :spinning:

faithVA

First of all, Pinke Cube, the founder of the 'method', has never claimed to be a scientist. She's just some chick who baggied for a few months consistently and saw a change.

Second, she isn't selling anything. :rolleyes: Clay and ACV is widely available and quite cheap.

Third, frizz is not a hair type. My hair frizzed relaxed. :lol: Anything I can do to lessen it is a gift from heaven.

Much like the video in the OP, people have all kinda opinions without knowing jack which, I guess, if that's how you live life, that's fine, but :yawn: @ accusing people of hating their textures. It's an unimaginative, facile argument that really has no bearing on a system based on moisturizing your hair. Since when is that a bad thing? :spinning:

I'm glad you have the energy because I just don't. Every time I type something I just end up erasing it.

NaturallyATLPCH

But this is the problem! Some people may take it as the gospel and then when there are setbacks they want someone to blame. It's just a personal thing for me to want some research to back a method, that's all. You are right, it's strictly an opinion. Thanks for clarifying who Pink Cube is.

ckisland

Honestly, this was my first impression of this method when I went into the MHM thread. I read the whole thing, gave it a go from beginning to end, and it did nothing for me. But you know what? I'm happy that women who've been struggling with their hair this whole time have found something that works for them!! Unless I'm going to show up at someone's house with a wide tooth comb and offer to spend hours detangling her hair, I am not going to knock her for finding a method that cuts down on that time!! I can't be bothered by the fact that ladies found a way to put moisture into their hair and now they got coils poppin' left and right. Good for them :grin:!!!!

Like another poster said, ladies on this forum have been using clays, acv rinses, baking soda, and gel for a minute. MHM is essentially an all natural product routine. Ladies are on here cranking up heat (guilty), slapping on harsh chemicals, and using all sorts of medicated products. We really can't be getting a little bent out of shape because the new bandwagon's has ladies going back to the earth :lachen:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
See, you are going to think I 'm crazy, but I agree with all of you. I see all of your viewpoints and perspectives :drunk:.

I have very mixed feelings. On the one hand it looks like a bandwagon that took everything people learned to do on Nappturality, Naturally Curly, and on LHCF and basically says list all of it in steps and do all of it, all day, every day. Then uses loosened curl patterns as it's visual selling point which honestly is what is most troubling to me. Loosened curl pattern = damage to me.

On the other hand the fact that these methods of cleansing have worked for so many people when used individually is very encouraging. Also, co washing more often does have beneficial effects on my hair. My hair gets softer, it gets more manageable, I do experience less tangling, and dare I say more definition as well as more movement in stretched styles. I have to attribute all of that to increased hydration due to wetting the hair more often. I have just always been too lazy to keep up with it because of all the twisting and braiding I do after every wash session and the involved detangling process that comes beforehand.

I agree most with shawnyblazes NaturallyATLPCH and koolkittychick.

There is nothing new about the no-poo movement and the various diy treatments that sprang up from that. There is no need to be doing it all at the same time, on the same day, every day. The loosened curl pattern shtick has got to go too because it is making my stomach turn and there is nothing wrong with my curl pattern.

At least now I have been reminded of my boo thangs:

clay washes
avoidance of stripping shampoos
wetting my hair 2x per week
finger detangling

in no particular order and with no set deadline except what my hair dictates :yep:.

I will just KISS and co-cleanse and style :yep:.

It's too late in the game for me to be jumping on bandwagons regardless of what I know my hair does and doesn't like. I should know better by now :nono:.

ETA:

They are lucky they didn't add Henna as another step you do every day with the method. Then no one would do it, :lachen:.

Last edited:

Adiatasha

But your not supposed to do these steps every single day.. It's until you've reached maximum hydration.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
But your not supposed to do these steps every single day.. It's until you've reached maximum hydration.

Adiatasha

It was only a manner of speaking. I was attempting to explain that I don't see myself completing all of those steps for seven days in a row. I have nothing against the method, it is just that if i do not modify it in some way I don't see how I could make fit into my lifestyle or work for my hair.

faithVA

Adiatasha

It was only a manner of speaking. I was attempting to explain that I don't see myself completing all of those steps for seven days in a row. I have nothing against the method, it is just that if i do not modify it in some way I don't see how I could make fit into my lifestyle or work for my hair.

I think the main thing is that you have something that works for your hair. If it works stick with it.

myfaithrising

It's suggested that you do the method daily for the first seven days and then as often as you can until you reach maximum hydration. I think I saw in someone's video that conditioner lasts for 3 days in your hair so we should aim to wash at least every 3 days. Don't know how true it is, but it's out there

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I got it from the Maximum Hydration website.

"The Max Hydration Method Detailed Regimen
This is going to be extremely detailed. If you are not ready, Click Here to Read The Quick Summary.

Do the steps in the exact order, and do not skip any step, or it will not be as effective. Do not use any drying products. For the first week, these steps must be completed everyday."

Its the imperative that threw me. I realize now that most people do it 2x per week. Reading the word 'must' the first time made me click out of the website. The girls in the MHM thread seem to be having fun though with the modified version of the regimen. I also miss doing diy projects for hair as well as going completely no-poo.

Last edited:

Honey Bee

See, you are going to think I 'm crazy, but I agree with all of you. I see all of your viewpoints and perspectives :drunk:.

I have very mixed feelings. On the one hand it looks like a bandwagon that took everything people learned to do on Nappturality, Naturally Curly, and on LHCF and basically says list all of it in steps and do all of it, all day, every day. Then uses loosened curl patterns as it's visual selling point which honestly is what is most troubling to me. Loosened curl pattern = damage to me.

You're seeing loosened curl patterns, I'm seeing hair properly moisturized for possibly the first time ever. Water trapped in hair strands adds weight.

Remember, this method is for lo po ladies who have NEVER had luck moisturizing their hair. If that's not you, move along. In my case, as a transitioner, I'm just trynna start off on a good foot since most of the natural hair horror stories I hear start with dry hair. I honestly have no idea of my curl pattern yet, so why would I be trying to loosen it?

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
You're seeing loosened curl patterns, I'm seeing hair properly moisturized for possibly the first time ever. Water trapped in hair strands adds weight.

Remember, this method is for lo po ladies who have NEVER had luck moisturizing their hair. If that's not you, move along. In my case, as a transitioner, I'm just trynna start off on a good foot since most of the natural hair horror stories I hear start with dry hair. I honestly have no idea of my curl pattern yet, so why would I be trying to loosen it?

Honey Bee

I understand. I think you have a very good point.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Nice Intelligent Discussion and Nice Thread!:nicethread:

Thank you OP :thankyou:

And thank you Ladies for the thoughtful dialogue on this subject.:grouphug3:

I like good insightful, informative threads.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@DoDo

Extremely interesting. I like to check out what the Natural Ladies are doing from time to time.

And I always like these types of thread where folk put some 'true thought' into their opinions/perspectives/responses and expertise on Subjects.

SpiceUpMyHair

I have noticed that long term transitions who dc weekly or biweekly have no problem with their hair once they big chop bc they have been adding moisture all along. A lot of the lo po ladies myself including up and big chop bc they have damaged hair and don't reall know how to care for their hair. Once natural we think everything will get better. I have tried every shampoo (sulfate and non sulfate) shampoo bar my hair is still dry. I have tried every natural and non natural dc and my hair once dried is still dry like I didn't just spend 30-60 minutes under a steamer. I never got to truly enjoy my arsenal of conditioners until I started mhm. I have only experience this type of moisture once and that is when I was in Senegalese twist and moisturizing daily. I took those twist out and curls were everywhere. Recently I took out a weave install and my hair was so dry, the curls that was once there has disappeared. So moisture is a big component on how the hair reacts. And this is what mhm is based upon, just introducing to every step in your wash day routine.
Another example of moisture would be the youtuber charjay for years she claimed she had no curl pattern, she even did a naked hair video
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJKhaz5ON2o

Then she went to a natural stylist who introduced moisture and finger combing to her hair then bam curls popping everywhere and she could finally rock a wash and go.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRoYZDKWFc

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I have noticed that long term transitions who dc weekly or biweekly have no problem with their hair once they big chop bc they have been adding moisture all along. A lot of the lo po ladies myself including up and big chop bc they have damaged hair and don't reall know how to care for their hair. Once natural we think everything will get better. I have tried every shampoo (sulfate and non sulfate) shampoo bar my hair is still dry. I have tried every natural and non natural dc and my hair once dried is still dry like I didn't just spend 30-60 minutes under a steamer. I never got to truly enjoy my arsenal of conditioners until I started mhm. I have only experience this type of moisture once and that is when I was in Senegalese twist and moisturizing daily. I took those twist out and curls were everywhere. Recently I took out a weave install and my hair was so dry, the curls that was once there has disappeared. So moisture is a big component on how the hair reacts. And this is what mhm is based upon, just introducing to every step in your wash day routine.
Another example of moisture would be the youtuber charjay for years she claimed she had no curl pattern, she even did a naked hair video
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJKhaz5ON2o

Then she went to a natural stylist who introduced moisture and finger combing to her hair then bam curls popping everywhere and she could finally rock a wash and go.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRoYZDKWFc

You are right! I went through something similar and nothing changed until I started co-washing and deep conditioning twice a week while introducing clay. Since I have moved I can return to shampoo because I have soft water here, but my hair is still not as soft as when I had bi-weekly co-washing sessions while using clay regularly. You have raised very good points here.

Maximum hydration puts a new name to it and gives it a particular structure, but the main guidelines work and have been working for naturals for a long time now.

RockRideTrue

:huh:It kills how people who have no idea what the method really is, stay running their mouths. Do your research boo. See what's already out there. You know what they say about assuming...

But on a sidenote, I take MHM as showing what my curls at their full potential look like. There's nothing "loosened" about it. It's not super frizzy and dry as ^&##. Now, if you like that look, go right ahead :rolleyes:, but don't knock those who want to see what their true curl pattern looks like. A pattern I had when my hair was wet is one I see in my everyday living. :yep:

...And if these are things that people have been doing for awhile, and we've seen the benefits/cons of it over the years. Then why are you guys still flapping them gums? So, PinkCube has done nothing new but combined these routines. Why are you so mad? She does what she does for free, are you lost? Keep it moving, please, and in three years I'll update ya' on how this "fad" treated me. :blowkiss:

CodeRed

:huh:It kills how people who have no idea what the method really is, stay running their mouths. Do your research boo. See what's already out there. You know what they say about assuming...

But on a sidenote, I take MHM as showing what my curls at their full potential look like. There's nothing "loosened" about it. It's not super frizzy and dry as ^&##. Now, if you like that look, go right ahead :rolleyes:, but don't knock those who want to see what their true curl pattern looks like. A pattern I had when my hair was wet is one I see in my everyday living. :yep:

...And if these are things that people have been doing for awhile, and we've seen the benefits/cons of it over the years. Then why are you guys still flapping them gums? So, PinkCube has done nothing new but combined these routines. Why are you so mad? She does what she does for free, are you lost? Keep it moving, please, and in three years I'll update ya' on how this "fad" treated me. :blowkiss:

Well ok then :lol:

JaneBond007

I read through it from the home page and was like, where are these percentages coming from? Who's defining them?

But, hey, people are trying it and are loving it, just like the Tightly Curly method, the Curly Girl methods, and any other "method" that works for their hair and convince others it works. I am interested in the long term effects of this on the hair in the long run.

Just my opinion. *shrugs*

I want to try it on someone and I can't get through the long, LOOOOOONNNGGGG video by the promoter. So drawn out. Still trying to find a concise video that's not trying to sound technical but isn't and is just horrid repetition and halted speech. Urgh. She's not a hairdresser nor a trichologist, I'm guessing. Anyhoo, a url for that homepage??

CocoGlow

Thanks to those who are open to having a civilized discussion about this. :yep:

Those of us who do the MHM and thoroughly understand what it is and what it is not have to remember that when we first heard about it we probably had a LOT of assumptions about it that turned out to not be true. Even if we are tired of seeing people throw out misinformation, how does being nasty and defensive benefit anybody? :spinning:

Pinkecube wrote up a GREAT article on her blog dispelling a lot of myths about MHM. I strongly encourage EVERYONE to read it and then decide for yourself whether or not this method is for you. It's a long article but VERY informative - You can make an informed decision :yep:

MHM Myths Debunked: Cutting Apart the Baking Soda Fixation
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/08/05/mhm-myths-debunked-cutting-apart-the-bakingsoda-fixation/

She answers the questions below:
Is Max Hydration really just hair getting loosened by Baking Soda?

Is this regimen a Texturizer/Jherri Curl?

Will long term use of Baking Soda dissolve or damage the hair? etc.

Last edited:

CocoGlow

I want to try it on someone and I can't get through the long, LOOOOOONNNGGGG video by the promoter. So drawn out. Still trying to find a concise video that's not trying to sound technical but isn't and is just horrid repetition and halted speech. Urgh. She's not a hairdresser nor a trichologist, I'm guessing. Anyhoo, a url for that homepage??

JaneBond007

LOL I know what you mean ... you may prefer video demonstrations by Protective Princess - she is very concise and to the point - I love her vids. Also she is the only one so far on Youtube doing this method on longer hair! :yep:

Here is her demo of the MHM:
The Regimen-Maximum Hydration Method-Wash n Go-4C Natural Hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKTxhjBv04&list=UUQR973mzkN5141v_v3W65rw

**She has recently decided to do a modified version of MHM from here on out that you can find about on her Youtube page

Last edited: