Retaining length for fine hair ladies

PrissyMiss

Great thread! So far for me (BSB, not quite claiming BSL)

- no ponytail holders ("safe" or not), no bobby pins.
- using as little products/ingredients as possible to avoid buildup
- protein

I agree with most of these, howver, these are the most important for me.

-My hair doesn't like buns unless they are very loose.

- My protective style of choice is actually rollersetting, whether it's curly or straight.

-I can't moisturize everyday or every other day. This actually causes my hair to dry out. If am less than 3 months post, I will only moisturize on my wash day. My hair doesn't dry out because I wash atleast twice a week.

-I stretch for 4-5 months.

-My hair loves protein. Matter of fact, most of my products contain protein.

davisbr88

Is anyone on this thread transitioning or natural? Do you also protein treat weekly? If so, what do you use?
I was just wondering about protein that often on my hair (I'm transitioning). I know everyone is different, but was just wondering.

cutenss

For me, I am natural, BSL

Protein/Moisture balance is essential for me.

My hair is in ponys, buns, or banana clips 99% of the time, out of laziness and work
I trim a few times a year, but will search and destroy. Because my strands are fine, split ends are inevitable. I have not trimmed this year, I may in my birthday month (July)

I am not afraid to be a PJ in order to learn what my hair needs, but I pretty much have my staple products.

:yep:

PrissyMiss

Is anyone on this thread transitioning or natural? Do you also protein treat weekly? If so, what do you use?
I was just wondering about protein that often on my hair (I'm transitioning). I know everyone is different, but was just wondering.

I use to be natural and when I did transition protein was essential, but once I bced I didn't really need protein anymore.

MizzCoco

thank ladies this is so cool. do you find with all the moisture you hair gets weak and mushy. and how many times a month do you do a protein tretment. Also how often do you trim or dust.
When I first joined this site, all I heard was moisture moisture moisture...I followed it, and for a few months, my hair was breaking WAY more than it was when I was abusing it...my hair was very mushy, and it wouldnt hold a curl. So yes it can get mushy very fast. I never do a hard protein like Aphogee 2 step, I would rather give it regular small doses. I dust/light trim when ever I get the urge, which lately has been every 2 months or so. I'm trying to even up my hair and get rid of the layers. HTH

davisbr88

I use to be natural and when I did transition protein was essential, but once I bced I didn't really need protein anymore.

What protein products did you use and how often? I hardly ever use protein because I am scared of overload!

For me, I am natural, BSL

Protein/Moisture balance is essential for me.

My hair is in ponys, buns, or banana clips 99% of the time, out of laziness and work
I trim a few times a year, but will search and destroy. Because my strands are fine, split ends are inevitable. I have not trimmed this year, I may in my birthday month (July)

I am not afraid to be a PJ in order to learn what my hair needs, but I pretty much have my staple products.

:yep:

How did you maintain this balance?

PrissyMiss

Sometimes I used Ors Hair Mayonnaise and other times I used eggs and mayonnaise ( I don't use either now). I would also use the 2 minute protein treatment by Aphogee every 6 weeks.

Now I use a light protein treatment by Hairveda, Aphogee Reconstructor and Aphogee 2 minute protein treatment.

If you are transitioning you need protein. Even if you didn't need it before you definitely need it now. Incorporating protein into my regimen when I was transitioning kept a lot of hair on my head :lachen:.

Lisa

When I first joined this site, all I heard was moisture moisture moisture...I followed it, and for a few months, my hair was breaking WAY more than it was when I was abusing it...my hair was very mushy, and it wouldnt hold a curl. So yes it can get mushy very fast. I never do a hard protein like Aphogee 2 step, I would rather give it regular small doses. I dust/light trim when ever I get the urge, which lately has been every 2 months or so. I'm trying to even up my hair and get rid of the layers. HTH

I so agree with this. I did the same thing. I used the S-curl because everyone was talking about how wonderful it was and my hair turned to MUSH! I tried co-washing 3-5 times a week and my hair turned to MUSH! My hair was much longer when I washed once a week using Infusium 23 shampoo, conditioner, and leave in and I rollerset (and yeah I would use heat sometimes also).

bless57

your hair is fooling me, it looks thick

PrissyMiss

Fine doesn't necessarily pertain to thickness. Fine can also refer to hair texture. For instance, my thickness is medium but my strands are fine.

abcd09

hair length: a few inches from bsl

what has helped me is
mild protein once a week with heat (mendex or aphogee two min)
followed by dc with humecto and oil or ors.
dc again midweek
low manipulation styles and ends OFF clothing
dc with heat always.
satin pillow cases and caps.
moisturize twice a day, seal with jojoba and castor

sqzbly1908

This is EXTREMELY important. Since incorporating a light protein in my weekly regimen, my hair has retained a heck of a lot more growth in the past 3-4 months.

I could not agree more!!!! Since doing "Protein is my friend" I practically use protein everytime I wash...maybe once a week I will do a strictly moisturizing treatment (I wash 3-4 times a week) .....

I also use protein leave ins after washing and dc'ing....

BlackGeisha

-low manipulation styles (pin ups mostly)
-no combing and brushing daily/ comb w/ wide tooth on wash days
-deep condition 2x's a week once with a moisturizing condish and once with a protein condish
-airdry
-moisturize and seal
-weekly hot oil treatments

jcdlox

this is a great thread because fine hair definitely has unique needs

I have NL fine but dense hair. I also overdid moisture at first (based on all the raving) and my hair was mush until I discovered how to balance with protein

Keys for me are low manipulation, weekly light protein with Mizani Fulfyl but lately I'm trying ceramides with Nexxus Humectress. Heat protectant and moisturizing ends before using direct heat maintain my ends well. In fact I just got my relaxer after 7 weeks and my stylist said she could still see where she trimmed my ends the last time so no scissors!!! :grin:

cutenss

How did you maintain this balance?

Basically, whenever I use a mositure product, I will use a protein product too. For example, I use WEN(moisture) to wash, then Aphogee 2 Minutes(protein). Then my leave ins would be one moisture (Nexxus) and one protein (GVP Potions 9). A small amount of both mixed together. If I was going to flat iron, I would spray on Aphogee Pro Vitamin and then Aphogee Green Tea, followed by a small amount of CHI silk fusion. I would airdry then flatiron. I use my Maxiglide with the steam burst.

My protein treatments are light enough to prevent moisture overload and not so heavy to cause protein overload. And I have a steamer now so can use a light protein, and get moisture from the steamer. HTH :drunk:

Aireen

I'm APL but heading towards BSB/BSL, the way I retain might be a little different and not for everyone but it's helped my mum and I. (She's a little below BSL but not quite MBL.)

- Stretching relaxers
- Detangling before shampooing
- Using oil to detangle new growth
- Deep Conditioning
- Switching from using heavy protein treatments every 2-3 months to lighter protein treatments every few weeks
- Cutting out the use of moisturizers after conditioning

I know people might disagree with the last one but when I used to moisturize my hair it would be limp, extra greasy, and I'd always find tons of little hairs around my sink from breakage. :nono: Now if I need added moisture I just use moisture rich conditioners.

WhipEffectz1

I have fine hair (natural) with medium density. Its a lot of it. I am currently wearing my hair in weekly rollersets. I am currently shoulder length but I'm about to cut in a month or two. Throughout my journey, I've learned that braids aren't for everyone who has fine hair.:nono: Especially those micros and even sew ins. The best braid style for me is cornrows most definitely under a wig. :yep: I too detangle before washing. I find that my hair behaves better when its not in a ponytail or given the option to tangle.

I use to wear my natural hair in braidouts but not anymore. My hair loves to have relations with each other in its natural state. After washing, most times, I blow dry my hair straight without flat ironing because my Sedu gets it pretty straight. Just to keep it 100, when I realized that my hair flourishes with this regimen, my hair starting retaining more. Braidouts work for some people but not me. I have to do what's best for my hair.

The beauty of having fine hair is that it maintains great shine and when you rollerset, it look like you have a head full of baby hair.:yep: People always want to touch it. :lol:

Jetblackhair

Keeping my hair braided (4 to 6 braids) under a half wig helps me to retain my length. I'm somewhere between APL & BSL.

• I wash weekly with my hair in at least 4 braids.
  • Use protein for each wash.
  • Deep condition (moisture)
  • Most of my leave-ins contain some type of protein.
  • I moisturize in between washes as needed.
  • I detangle either before I wash using a spray detangler or after I wash right before I put on my leave in. Detangling on very wet hair for me is a no-no. I also cannot not detangle with conditioner on wet hair as I lose way too much hair.

charmtreese

I have fine strands, low-med density, 4b relaxed, below apl

To retain length I:

1. Use some type of protein with each weekly wash
2. Only DC for 5-10 mins weekly while in the shower...too much moisturizing conditioner can make my hair too soft while wet causing my hair to break easily
3. Finger comb daily, only detangle on wash day with leave-ins.
4. Protective styling

grow

thank ladies this is so cool. do you find with all the moisture you hair gets weak and mushy. and how many times a month do you do a protein tretment. Also how often do you trim or dust.

i had to go back and check some ingredients, and like many ladies here, i found that many of my conditioners that i use for my 3-7 cowashes a week contain light proteins.

also the case for many leave ins.

however, i do deep protein treatments (like Dudley's DRC) once a month.

i don't trim, i only dust and it's only done when needed, NOT on a regular schedule like i used to do.
(i used to trim JUST to have fresh ends....it looks and feels nice, but does nothing for my retention....."it it's not broke, don't fix it" works for me)

cutenss

Waist length texlaxed fine haired lady checking in.

I joined LHCF with WL hair long before I knew about protective syling and the rest.

What I did pre LHCF - avoid direct heat
- texlax
- stretch relaxers
- roller set my hair almost nightly
- stop letting hairdressers put scissors in my hair
- trim my own hair.
- air dry as often as possible

What I've done post LHCF - texlax properly by using oil or the like to protect my ends
- use mild protein weekly followed by moisturizing cond.
- seamless combs
- clarify when hair/scalp has build up or looks limp.

Me too. Minus the waist length. More BSL. But I have found that being on LHCF has helped to have healthy hair in a natural state. Before I was relaxed, so my hair responds differently because of that.

almond eyes

When my hair was shorter the tangles were not as bad but as it got longer hairs would wrap around each other. And also as my hair got longer styling was more of a challenge. Fine hair looks like a big fuzzy cotton ball as it gets longer and my hair had more fly aways without the heat.

Best,
Almond Eyes

morehairplease

great thread ladies! So far, adding protein to my weekly washes has helped me retain length. Along with low manipulation, stretching relaxers, and no wet combing or brushing have also seemed to help. Pre-pooing on dry hair with little to no heat and gently detangling my tresses first before applying my pre-poo has helped tremendously. Whenever I manipulate my hair while wet the splits rear their ugly heads and any retain I gained is lost.

mzsophisticated26

I am between sl and apl and have low density and fine strands. What works for me is ps most of the time, stretching texlaxes, only trim every 4-6mths, protein moisture balance. Most of my leave ins have protein in them like chi keratin mist,organix coconut milk leave in and then i add a moisture leave in with it. I usually only moisturize on wash day and then maybe 1 day during the
week. My hair will get mushy if i do more

Last edited: