Retaining length for fine hair ladies

HoneyKitt

I have to wash my hair 2X a week. DC 1X weekly, M&S daily. LOC every other night. Protein treatment 1X month and dust every 3 months.

*De-tangle before every wash and detangle before I LOC my hair.*

My hair wants to act like a little brat and absorb everything I give it. Money, Money, Monaaayyyyy!!!

:drunk:

mpatt613

Thanks! I'm newly natural and new to LHCF. I have fine hair with a nice natural curl but have never gone fully natural. Hair was recently cut down to start over and I'm currently using the "As I Am" line for co wash and conditioning etc. In the process of buying a professional hair steamer. Any suggestions for protein and growth?

ajargon02

Thanks! I'm newly natural and new to LHCF. I have fine hair with a nice natural curl but have never gone fully natural. Hair was recently cut down to start over and I'm currently using the "As I Am" line for co wash and conditioning etc. In the process of buying a professional hair steamer. Any suggestions for protein and growth?

Welcome! There's A TON of tips in this very thread :) check out the older posts. I'm actually doing that now. Lots of good tips, product & regime recommendations.
Hth

ajargon02

Beehive twists have allowed me to retain all my length. A good leave in has also helped. I'm considering self-installing a weave but I'm worried about the tension on my hair (even with a net). Decision, decisions. I'm getting a lil' bit tired of my wig. :yep:

What are beehive twists? Anyone?

CarLiTa

This thread hasn't been active for a while. Bumping.

Dealing with my fine hair is a big challenge.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Got enough hair now to be able to wash in twists or braids. Needing that low manipulation life right now

coolsista-paris

yesterday was wash day . i washed my hair the same way as laSt week. it came out soft again ( cantu shea leave in is officially my staple for keeping my hair soft and moisturized )

View attachment 289709 View attachment 289711 View attachment 289707

son first pic: damp hair (see those relaxed ends) second pic: tension blow dried
third pic: tension blow dried (back view)
u
oh and i also dusted all over ( even trimmed some areas with more lenght cut off)

ps: the pics of a brush were for a test ( i cant erase them) :-/

ajargon02

I just got another cut. My stylist confirmed I have fine hair with medium density and low porosity. I have been taking viviscal for about 4 months. My hair is visibly thicker. I LOVE the thickness, and I am retaining the length I am getting. Can't wait to see what a year on viviscal will do.

krissyhair

I just got another cut. My stylist confirmed I have fine hair with medium density and low porosity. I have been taking viviscal for about 4 months. My hair is visibly thicker. I LOVE the thickness, and I am retaining the length I am getting. Can't wait to see what a year on viviscal will do.

We have the same stats.

Although I have low porosity hair, it dries quickly though.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I just realized that heavy products were causing my strands to break off.

Now I take it easy with the leave ins. I only seal when I am wigging it.

My hair loves protein. I use a protein conditioner after every wash.

My hair tangles easily so I keep it stretched in braids (celies) or I get it blown out.

My hair is mostly fine, but I have a few random medium/coarse strands mixed in.

My current length is Apl and I have been trying to get to Bsl for at least a year. I have to keep trimming damage from my old (Dominican) salon.

krissyhair

My hair tangles easily so I keep it stretched in braids (celies) or I get it blown out.

My current length is Apl and I have been trying to get to Bsl for at least a year. I have to keep trimming damage from my old (Dominican) salon.
I learned that too-thick deep conditioner was breaking my strands.

Some Joico deep conditioner was so thick that I couldn't get my fingers through it to detangle...too much friction even with water.

CodeRed

I learned that too-thick deep conditioner was breaking my strands.

I third this.

Deep conditioning is definitely good for my hair but I need something of medium-light density. Anything that's going to weigh on my hair doesn't get the green light anymore.

I was pleasantly surprised by Shea Moisture's deep conditioners. I bought them thinking I absolutely had to dilute them to death but I don't. They go on like lotion and rinse soft and clean.

Same thing with leave ins. My leave ins have to be almost water-like, even when I was natural. If I put a thick leave-in on my hair and tried to comb through... nope nope nope. No oils left in my hair or thick anything. Same with co-washing conditioners, which is why I'm now sticking with VO5.

Now I use protein regularly. It's an ingredient in my rinse out and deep conditioners, but it's very, very light protein. Keeps my hair strong and co-washing multiple times a week has proven really useful in keeping moisture.

Quitting shampoo late last year was the best thing I could have done and using lighter conditioners in general this year was the second best. I had a setback because I didn't do these things sooner but I'm on my way.

mshoneyfly

I did my texturizer TU last week and have been feeding my hair major protein. Its responding very well and I have retained a decent amount of growth.

For the ladies thst detangle with deep conditioner, I dont think DCs are usually designed to detangle. I like all of the Shea Moisture rinse outs for this purpose. I have been wearing wigs since last year. I often skip detangling until I have enough time and patience and when I do I use fingers only. I just use my leave ins and smooth my hair back sometimes and put on a wig.

s2fast4ya

s2fast4ya

Which protein conditioners are you using?