Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

dicapr

I have seen alot of threads about naturals who are thinking of wearing their hair straightened more often or most of the time. I for one do not think that regular heat usage on natural hair has to be damaging. I look at my great-aunts who pressed their hair weekly most of their lives and had waist length or longer hair when they were younger and now keep it at APL in their 80's. I think that alot of understanding of how to use heat has bee n lost. Maybe those who use heat and still have healthy hair can share thier knowledge. Also, those of use who have some unfortunate setbacks can share their knowledge so that others do not make the same mistakes. Also, any reversion friendly hairstyle tips would be helpful. Alot of us are at a loss what to do when our hair starts poofing. If we can learn to work with the semi-straight we can reduce our heat usage and keep from having to trim so often.

morehairplease

I have seen alot of threads about naturals who are thinking of wearing their hair straightened more often or most of the time. I for one do not think that regular heat usage on natural hair has to be damaging. I look at my great-aunts who pressed their hair weekly most of their lives and had waist length or longer hair when they were younger and now keep it at APL in their 80's. I think that alot of understanding of how to use heat has bee n lost. Maybe those who use heat and still have healthy hair can share thier knowledge. Also, those of use who have some unfortunate setbacks can share their knowledge so that others do not make the same mistakes. Also, any reversion friendly hairstyle tips would be helpful. Alot of us are at a loss what to do when our hair starts poofing. If we can learn to work with the semi-straight we can reduce our heat usage and keep from having to trim so often.

great thread! When I got hard presses from my stylist my hair looked like I had just gotten a relaxer. Little did I know that she was burning my hair straight. My hair would not revert back to its curly state and even after washing it I had the burned smell:nono:. I got my hair cut again, much shorter that what's in my avatar pic, and I am really loving it. I have just got to take better care of my hair from now on. I figured I was not doing damage to my hair because I only got it pressed every 6-8 weeks:perplexed. She used both a marcel flat iron and marcel pressing comb. I should have asked for a flatiron to be used instead :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:.....you live and you learn:rolleyes:

Last edited:

dicapr

Thanks for sharing! That's why I am afraid of getting someone to professionally press my hair. Too many hairdressers rely on heat rather than technique to straighten hair. My mother always taught me that technique, not heat was the way to straighten my hair. I can straighten my hair with a flat iron on 250-275 and I am a 4a/4b. I am trying to re-learn how to press using a temp controlled electric pressing comb. This weekend I got a so so press. I won't last more than a week. I will rollerset to straighten my hair for next week and then press the next week. Right now my plan is to alternate a press and rollerset to keep my hair straight.

gmw

I am contemplating this for my teenage daughter. My feeling is that heat protectant is key. I pressed her hair a few weeks ago with a little CHI Silk Infusion & Fantasia IC heat protectant. She wants to wear her hair straight more often. So I am going to do it that way for her. However I feel that blow drying it before I press it will be a must. I did a DT last year on both of our heads. After the treament I put infusium 23 and QB detangler in our head and dried it. Both of our heads came out almost completely straight, with very little hair (like maybe 5 strands) on my goody brush afterwards. Our hair was silky and nice. I remember thinking this feels like I put a relaxer in her hair, mind you my daughters hair has been natural of her life.

I also have noted that whenever I pressed or flat ironed my daughters hair, it reverts, where as with salon hairdressers, her hair requires major TLC to get it back.

HTH :yep:

Robin41

This is a great thread. The times I've tried to flat iron my own hair, I still ended up looking like Chaka Khan and Diana Ross's love child. It was still wild looking. Maybe I'll let my stylist try and see if she can get that relaxed look for me.

MissScarlett

I prefer my hair straight, I wear it straight as much as possible. I suffered too long with the Chelsea Clinton hair when I grew up until I figured my hair out:nono::nono:

I know heat gets a bad wrap but I use it and it works for me. I think keeping it conditioned, deep conditionin and heat protectants are key.

Also, I would never let a person 'press my hair' as in at the salon. I know girls whose hair won't go back to its natural straight b/c they got it straightened too much and now its just basically dead.

I also just roll with my hair texture in the warm/humid months and don't put any heat on it.

angellazette

Thanks for sharing! That's why I am afraid of getting someone to professionally press my hair. Too many hairdressers rely on heat rather than technique to straighten hair. My mother always taught me that technique, not heat was the way to straighten my hair. I can straighten my hair with a flat iron on 250-275 and I am a 4a/4b. I am trying to re-learn how to press using a temp controlled electric pressing comb. This weekend I got a so so press. I won't last more than a week. I will rollerset to straighten my hair for next week and then press the next week. Right now my plan is to alternate a press and rollerset to keep my hair straight.

What was the technique?

I've heard some say to run the iron straight down...I've also heard some say to do a section of hair in bursts.

Example, take a section of hair, put iron on first inch of hair in that section, hold briefly (think a second or two), move down to the next inch of hair in the section and repeat til the end.

inthepink

A great thread!! I'm so glad it's here!!!

I am another natural and prefer to wear my hair straight. I spent a lot of time yesterday searching the forum on information on naturals who wear their hair straight. I'm so glad that there are more of us here.

Right now, I roller set my hair and wrap afterwards for a straight look. I have to flat iron my roots. With humidity, I will need to flat iron all of it but I have decided that I will no longer blow dry my hair...ever! And always roller set before flat ironing.

stargazer613

This is a great thread!

My hair actually looks and feels healthier when I use heat occasionally versus daily wash n gos/rinsing. I agree that as long as you deep condition and keep the hair moisturized and protected, your natural hair can and will be fine!

After I wash and deep condition my hair, I part my hair in sections, spray on Tresemme heat protectant, then blow dry with a comb attachment on low heat.

I then press my hair with an old school pressing comb (the kind you put on the stove). I keep the burner on a medium setting, so the comb doesn't get too hot. After I take it off the burner, I blow on the pressing comb or waft it around in the air to cool it down. (keeping windows open or a fan on helps keep the comb cool).

Finally, flat iron my hair using a Solia ceramic flat iron. I apply NTM serum to my ends prior to straightening each section. And voila! That's it!

The whole straightening process takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning more from other naturals on this board. :)

Last edited:

ladylibra

I can straighten my hair with a flat iron on 250-275 and I am a 4a/4b.

ditto! :drunk:

what's so funny is, when i was relaxed i would turn every heat appliance up FULL BLAST. why the hell did i think i needed the heat so high? :nono: once i learned good techniques and found a good heat protectant, i was amazed at how straight i could get my hair... and it reverts with no problem. in fact it reverts a little too easily, LOL :spinning: but i'll take that over hair that's been heat-damaged any day. i've also found that a flat iron with full ceramic plating and whatever-that-infrared-technology-crap-is-called keeps my hair from reverting without using high heat, but it is still shiny and moisturized. unlike using ceramic-coated plates or worse, cheap metal plates that require higher heat and leave your hair feeling dry and ready to suck moisture out of the air (hence the reversion).

scarcity21

Im sawry i feel so dumb for asking this question but when y'all say u flat iron at 250-275 is that C or F???

Jetblackhair

I'm glad OP you started this thread as I haven't had any success with straightening my hair since I have been natural. :perplexed

dicapr

What was the technique?

I've heard some say to run the iron straight down...I've also heard some say to do a section of hair in bursts.

Example, take a section of hair, put iron on first inch of hair in that section, hold briefly (think a second or two), move down to the next inch of hair in the section and repeat til the end.

It depends on what you are using. First, I always pre-stretch my hair before using heat to straighten. I air dry in large twists, rollersets, or blow dry to stretch my hair. I then section my hair and detangle with a smaller tooth comb completelty from root to tip. I then use the flat iron to chase the comb all the way to the ends. I can usually get the hair straight with on pass using this technique. When I use my ceramic electric hot comb, I make sure that the back of the comb is used to smooth and straighten the hair. Because my hair has been stretched to a blown out state before I add heat, I do not need high heat to pres out my hair. Actually, as my rollersets improve, I can get my hair pretty straight rollersetting under a soft bonnet.

crazydaze911

This is a great thread!

My hair actually looks and feels healthier when I use heat occasionally versus daily wash n gos/rinsing. I agree that as long as you deep condition and keep the hair moisturized and protected, your natural hair can and will be fine!

After I wash and deep condition my hair, I part my hair in sections, spray on Tresemme heat protectant, then blow dry with a comb attachment on low heat.

I then press my hair with an old school pressing comb (the kind you put on the stove). I keep the burner on a medium setting, so the comb doesn't get too hot. After I take it off the burner, I blow on the pressing comb or waft it around in the air to cool it down. (keeping windows open or a fan on helps keep the comb cool).

Finally, flat iron my hair using a Solia ceramic flat iron. I apply NTM serum to my ends prior to straightening each section. And voila! That's it!

The whole straightening process takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning more from other naturals on this board. :)

The blow dry and flatiron thing i can understand (even though one or the other can sometimes work too), but the hot comb too! Does ur (or our) hair really need that much heat? im curious about how often u trim. ur hair looks good, but idk if my hair could go through all that. My hair doesnt get as straight as i'd like and reverts pretty quick, but that seems like alot. how long does this last? till next wash? TIA for ur insight!:grin:

stargazer613

The blow dry and flatiron thing i can understand (even though one or the other can sometimes work too), but the hot comb too! Does ur (or our) hair really need that much heat? im curious about how often u trim. ur hair looks good, but idk if my hair could go through all that. My hair doesnt get as straight as i'd like and reverts pretty quick, but that seems like alot. how long does this last? till next wash? TIA for ur insight!:grin:

Hi, the hot comb is what actually gets the majority of my hair straight. I'm unable to get my roots straight with a flat iron, so I mainly use the flat iron mid-shaft down. I know it seems like a ton of heat, but honestly, I've never had any problems with heat damage. My hair always reverts back to its natural state when its wet. But I can only speak on what works for me, everyone's hair needs and conditons are different.

I trim on average every few months or lightly dust in-between. My press lasts me until my next wash. When I used to go to a stylist, the press lasted much longer since she could get it much straighter. I keep my hair wrapped in a silk scarf at night.
I hope I was helpful :) , and again, I think the most important thing is finding a straightening regimen that works best for you. :)

angellazette

It depends on what you are using. First, I always pre-stretch my hair before using heat to straighten. I air dry in large twists, rollersets, or blow dry to stretch my hair. I then section my hair and detangle with a smaller tooth comb completelty from root to tip. I then use the flat iron to chase the comb all the way to the ends. I can usually get the hair straight with on pass using this technique. When I use my ceramic electric hot comb, I make sure that the back of the comb is used to smooth and straighten the hair. Because my hair has been stretched to a blown out state before I add heat, I do not need high heat to pres out my hair. Actually, as my rollersets improve, I can get my hair pretty straight rollersetting under a soft bonnet.

I'm going to try the small tooth comb before flat iron. :grin:

rosie

Okay ladies, I have a question.

How do you wrap your hair?

I have tried it, but I cannot get it to do right.

The last time I tried to wrap my hair it was abot 4-5 inches long.

If there is a demo or tutorial that you can point me to, I would appreciate it.

Ms Lala

This is a great thread. The times I've tried to flat iron my own hair, I still ended up looking like Chaka Khan and Diana Ross's love child. It was still wild looking. Maybe I'll let my stylist try and see if she can get that relaxed look for me.

Me too sistah. I look like Chaka for real the last time I flat ironed. :yawn:

Ms Lala

OP I'm so glad you started this thread. I have been wearing my hair semi-straight and bunning it because I was getting tired of knots and tangles. I have less knots and my hair is easy to moisturize now. I like my hair big but sometimes I do want a more sleek look but have not been able to acheive this. My hair turns out straight but puffy. How do I get rid of the puff?

ClassicBeauty

I am a natural who straightens my hair often. I used to do do it weekly, but now that it's getting longer and I'm working more hours, I do it every 2-3 weeks.

I am a HUGE advocate for rollersetting with leave-in conditioner and water before flat ironing. The details are in my journal.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I'm gonna attempt to straighten my hair myself tomorrow. Last time I had it done was over 2 months ago and it was done by a stylist. I got some fantasia heat protectant too

wish me luck!

glam-

I'm coming back to wearing it straight now, too- but I'm just going to be doing rollersets on big rollers and then bunning it- I've been finding that letting my natural hair out has been hard on my ends and I'm getting tired of seeing the little knots

rosie

I am a natural who straightens my hair often. I used to do do it weekly, but now that it's getting longer and I'm working more hours, I do it every 2-3 weeks.

I am a HUGE advocate for rollersetting with leave-in conditioner and water before flat ironing. The details are in my journal.

I would love to read your notes on your technique. How do i get to your journal?

Do you use the Sran wrap method after your roller sets?

PinkSkates

Originally Posted by Sunshine0801
Do any of you workout regularly? If so, how do you keep your hair straight?

I workout nearly everyday, and keeping my hair straight is a combination of:
1. The products I use to straighten my hair with.
2. I'm in excellent shape, and I've been doing the same intensity workout for a long time; so I no longer break a sweat when I do my regular workout.
3. I always put my hair in a ponytail or bun when I workout, so to keep my hair off of my skin.
4. And when I skate or workout to my full capacity, it's right before shampoo day and by then I don't care about sweating out my pressed hair.