MHM Hangout

faithVA

This is interesting to me. I'm coming to an understanding of the method. It's part moisture, part training your coils, that's why the gel is so important. Oils and curly puddings and what-not don't leave the necessary 'cast'.

With that in mind, maybe those who don't want to wng's could use a leave-in and then, idk, AVG (or any gel with little hold)? Let it dry, cast formed, and then style however.

Just thinking out loud. :)

I agree, it is part moisture and part training your coils. I found I have to start training my coils and the conditioning step.

The only reason(s) I'm not using gel is because I'm being cheap right now and waiting for length. I also don't think I have enough moisture in my hair to withstand the dryness of winter and I need that LOCO for just right now. I could definitely be wrong about this. This could just be what I'm comfortable with and a little afraid to try the gel in the winter. I can see the curl definition moving up my strand over the weeks so I'm just waiting it out.

I'm trying to save my gel for the spring and just hoping this waiting game is playing out for me. But I agree with you, I think the gel really helps to train the hair.

Honey Bee

I agree, it is part moisture and part training your coils. I found I have to start training my coils and the conditioning step.

The only reason(s) I'm not using gel is because I'm being cheap right now and waiting for length. I also don't think I have enough moisture in my hair to withstand the dryness of winter and I need that LOCO for just right now. I could definitely be wrong about this. This could just be what I'm comfortable with and a little afraid to try the gel in the winter. I can see the curl definition moving up my strand over the weeks so I'm just waiting it out.

I'm trying to save my gel for the spring and just hoping this waiting game is playing out for me. But I agree with you, I think the gel really helps to train the hair.
As long as you're seeing steady progress post-clay, your plan sounds fine to me. Similar to my own. :yep:

Guinan

Re-Branding
finished my hair!!! Just waiting for it to dry. The flaxseed gel that I made yesterday turned out amazing; nice and thick. When I rinsed my hair from the DC, my hair was really frizzy. However, after the clay my curls were ALOT more defined. I ran out of clay; so I guess I'll order my rhassoul clay tomorrow.

I have this annoying natural part; so I centered my hair to the front and put a hair clip there until it dries. I'm hoping it stays so that it can create a bang.

I plan on doing protein next week. I think that's why my hair was so frizzy after the DC. It was super soft and super frizzy.

Last edited:

faithVA

finished my hair!!! Just waiting for it to dry. The flaxseed gel that I made yesterday turned out amazing; nice and thick. When I rinsed my hair from the DC, my hair was really frizzy. However, after the clay my curls were ALOT more defined. I ran out of clay; so I guess I'll order my rhassoul clay tomorrow.

I have this annoying natural part; so I centered my hair to the front and put a hair clip there until it dries. I'm hoping it stays so that it can create a bang.

Where are you ordering clay from?

Guinan

Re-Branding
Where are you ordering clay from?

I'm ordering from Amazon. It's 12.00 for 1lbs (is that a good price). The vendor is Halaleveryday. I wanted to order from this website that naputal85, uses but they have been sold out for months and the only thing that they have available for the rhassoul clay is 5lbs for 55.00.

faithVA

[USER=353889 said:
pelohello[/USER];20812147]I'm ordering from Amazon. It's 12.00 for 1lbs (is that a good price). The vendor is Halaleveryday. I wanted to order from this website that naputal85, uses but they have been sold out for months and the only thing that they have available for the rhassoul clay is 5lbs for 55.00.

It depends on how much shipping is. Butter and Bars sells theirs for $9.99 but shipping could make the difference

http://www.butters-n-bars.com/moroccan-mud-rhassoul-clay.html

Yeah, I think $55 for 5 lbs is too much.

iheartcouture

Completed my 2nd round today. I did not use gel this time because I don't have an approved gel yet. I also left the clay on overnight--my hair really loved that. I probably won't do that every time but will incorporate it every so often.

Already seeing more definition on the ends of some strands, and I'm excited about that.

Attachments

• image-1634246337.jpg
    image-1634246337.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 62

hairtimes5

faithVA I bought my rhassoul from Bulk Apocathery and they sell the 5 lb bag for $34.

I decided to go back to Tresemme radiant volume this morning when I did my hair. I revisited the TJ tea tree tingle awhile back and got hooked. One thing I noticed is that I can dilute TJTTT a lot, to the point that it's watery, and still get good slip. I don't find that to be the case with the Tresemme. Maybe it was just my hair acting funny but I had to use a lot to detangle, I just was not getting the slip I needed. Anyway...I was in a rush this morning so I blew my roots dry and stretched them while doing so, I loved my hair today. When I stretch by doing a low pony or pineapple it just doesn't look the same, the shape looks odd and uneven. I want to find a heatless way to stretch that gives me the same look as when I blow dry.

I had to pull out my humidifier the other day. I swear I can literally feel the heat drying my hair out. I might start doing the GHE under beanies. This weather will wreak havoc on my hair, skin, and nails if I let it.

faithVA

faithVA I bought my rhassoul from Bulk Apocathery and they sell the 5 lb bag for $34.

I decided to go back to Tresemme radiant volume this morning when I did my hair. I revisited the TJ tea tree tingle awhile back and got hooked. One thing I noticed is that I can dilute TJTTT a lot, to the point that it's watery, and still get good slip. I don't find that to be the case with the Tresemme. Maybe it was just my hair acting funny but I had to use a lot to detangle, I just was not getting the slip I needed. Anyway...I was in a rush this morning so I blew my roots dry and stretched them while doing so, I loved my hair today. When I stretch by doing a low pony or pineapple it just doesn't look the same, the shape looks odd and uneven. I want to find a heatless way to stretch that gives me the same look as when I blow dry.

I had to pull out my humidifier the other day. I swear I can literally feel the heat drying my hair out. I might start doing the GHE under beanies. This weather will wreak havoc on my hair, skin, and nails if I let it.

You have all types of great information :yep: That is a much better price.

I think gheing under your beanie is a great idea. I have been doing that to and from work. And I try to remember when I get home.

faithVA

Curls (http://www.curls.biz/)

35% off

Coupon Code: HOLIDAYCURLS

Just in case anyone wanted to try the curls ecstasy conditioner. This may be a good time. My hair is picky about conditioners so I can't really give a review of how it works. But I do know that if you want something that can be diluted to the nth degree this conditioner definitely can. They have a 32 oz jar that will probably last you 6 months if not a year if you dilute it.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
So this weekend, was wash day for me for the bald spot regimen. I worked on my scalp and applied Haitian black castor oil and massaged my scalp and baggyed over night. Then the next morning, I applied the ACV rinse to my hair and scalp and let that sit for an 1 hr. After baggying for 3 weeks my scalp really needed that ACV on my scalp :yep:. After rinsing I felt like I needed some protein cuz my hair felt kind of stretchy so I applied Claudie's Revitalizer normalizing conditioner to balance my hair. This conditioner is not MHM approved but I'm not low porosity (I'm med to high) and my hair needs protein so I'm keeping protein in my regimen :yep:. My hair felt really good after rinsing out the conditioner. My hair is still super frizzy at the roots to mid length of my hair but my ends are finally starting to hydrate.

This time around, I used the rhassoul clay without the honey and oil just to see if I could get better curl definition. I used 4 tbs of rhassoul clay, 1/4 tsp ACV, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, and filled the rest of my applicator bottle with warm distilled water. I ended up leaving it in for more than an hour out of pure laziness, but my hair was super soft and I had some curl definition after rinsing. I'm hoping that my hair will be ready to do wash n gos by April. If not I will probably do braid outs until I have more hydration. I couldn't tell any difference between the clay with oil and honey or without so that's good to know. faithVA said that I have about 50% hydration which is good cuz I didn't think I had any :lol:. I think I'll get there, but it is a slow process for me since the initial condition of my hair wasn't the greatest.

Now I'm back in cornrows and wigging it until April. I do like that with wigs I can have different looks and experiment with different colors. It's so much fun wearing wigs and my coworkers are use to me having long hair one day and short hair the next :lol:.

faithVA

honeybee this is related to what you were referring to as training the hair.

How to Tame Frizzy Hair According to Science (Excerpt)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...how-to-tame-frizzy-hair-according-to-science/

It is like musical chairs. The hydrogen bonds just stop and bond to wherever they can as quickly as possible, which usually leads to frizz city if the strands are not being held in place. This is where alignment comes into play.

How to tame frizz
How do you eliminate those rogue strands of hair that are ultimately the culprits of frizz? One of the biggest secrets to eliminating frizz is to focus on curl alignment.

TOOLS

Every strand of hair has its own geometric pattern, but by using curl defining products we have the ability help manipulate the curl pattern of the strands using our fingers, comb, rods, etc. to ensure that every twist and coil from one strand to the next align to create beautiful, frizz free curls.

PRODUCTS

Relying on the fixative properties in these products help the alignment of the strands to stay in place.

TECHNIQUE

And do not simply rub product onto a huge patch of hair, take the time to carefully pull product through smaller sections to better align the strands, further defining and training the hair to stay where you want it to stay (e.g. shingling and the rake and smooth). This way, as hydrogen bonds start to form as the hair dries, they lock the hair in alignment with the surrounding strands of hair, leading to fewer frizzes.

OIL

Also, sealing the hair with oil based products or natural butters can help to further lock the hair in place by preventing moisture/humidity from disturbing the careful formed curls.

AJellyCake

Can anyone think of any edge control type products that are MHM friendly? Flaxseed gel, Hello Curly, KCCC don't really have the hold I would prefer for my edges sometimes.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
What progress, if any, have you noticed with the problem spot(s)?

AbsyBlvd I've been doing the bald spot regimen for about 3 months. I have scarring alopecia in those areas so it may take me longer to see results. One thing I have noticed is that my crown spot a.k.a highway is shrinking. It use to be very large but it's slowly shrinking. I have some small hairs growing in one of my other spots as well. It's a slow process but I'm going to do this regimen until April and hopefully by then I'll have something good to report back :yep:.

GGsKin

So 3 weeks of GHE are up and today was wash day. I've been itching to see my hair for about a week (it's my longest stint baggying thus far). I must say that there is a noticeable difference in the coverage of my problem spot. There seems to be more little hairs growing in there. I think I will continue to baggy for a least 3 week periods and monitor the changes, if any. I definitely think the baggying and shower filter are helping when it comes to my hair accepting moisture.
As I'll probably wash again at the end of the week, I decided to seal with a little wheatgerm oil and KCCC.
1. Co washed and detangled. 4. 60/70% dry with product.

Attachments

• IMG_20141126_004151.jpg
    IMG_20141126_004151.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 2014-11-26_00.39.10.jpg
    2014-11-26_00.39.10.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 111

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
So 3 weeks of GHE are up and today was wash day. I've been itching to see my hair for about a week (it's my longest stint baggying thus far). I must say that there is a noticeable difference in the coverage of my problem spot. There seems to be more little hairs growing in there. I think I will continue to baggy for a least 3 week periods and monitor the changes, if any. I definitely think the baggying and shower filter are helping when it comes to my hair accepting moisture.
As I'll probably wash again at the end of the week, I decided to seal with a little wheatgerm oil and KCCC.
1. Co washed and detangled. 4. 60/70% dry with product.
AbsyBlvd your hair looks great and it looks like doing the GHE is really paying off. It's nice to know that you're seeing progress with your problem spots as well. I think you should definitely do the GHE for at least 6 weeks cuz it can help with ur problem areas and with your hydration :yep:. Then once you're satisfied with the results, you can go back to the normal MHM regimen. My progress is super slow but I'm hopeful that I will also see improvement with my problem areas as well. Let's try to keep each other motivated cuz I no it's not easy baggying 24-7. Good luck and keep up the good work :grin:.

GGsKin

tashboog Thanks for your words of encouragement. With regards to the 24/7 baggying, tell me about it!:drunk: I have two new wigs and I'm already feeling bored. I guess now that I am finding what works for my hair, I want to experiment with styling and all that good stuff but I am remaining as patient as I can. I know you are right when in comes to trying a 6 week stint (I've had intentions of doing a full 3 months like Pinke Cube) but am slowly building up to that:grin:. I need to fix up and treat it like my favourite protective style of crochet braids. I could keep those in for months at a time, no problem.
If the new growth doesnt spur us on, at least we will be here to keep each other going:yep:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I will be doing the modified MHM tonight and prepping my hair for a twistout. I hope I have enough flaxseed gel to do my twistout.

I've had my wng now for about 4 days and it probably could go the rest of the week; as it still looks "fresh". But I'm REALLY trying to stay consistent with my reggie; so I will be doing my midweek cowash.

CocoGlow

I posted this in the November Sale thread ...

Bulk Apothecary
www.bulkapothecary.com

20% off Sale (Sale Price Reflected in Shopping Cart Automatically)

Ends Monday 12/1 at Midnight

** They Sell Herbs, Butters, Clays, Oils, etc **

I purchase my Clay and Olive Oil for MHM from this site because the prices are great! The shipping is a bit high but it still works out to be good deal over other websites.

Sodium Bentonite Clay 1lb $2.98/5lbs $7.67/10lbs $32.50
Rhassoul Clay 1lb $7.98/5lbs $33.97
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1lb $4.97/8lbs $39.92

** Please note, the Bentonite Clay sold here is the Sodium version - not the Calcium version which is what the Aztec Secret Healing Brand is made of. From my experience the Sodium version works similarly but tends to soak up more water so you MIGHT need to tweak your recipe by using more water for your Clay Treatments but you will have to play with your recipe a bit to figure out what works best for you. It is waaay cheaper and works for me :yep:

** I have yet to try their Rhassoul Clay but the price is decent in comparison to other vendors.

** The Extra Virgin Olive Oil is great and comes in a dark (black) plastic bottle with a regular flip cap top.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Can anyone think of any edge control type products that are MHM friendly? Flaxseed gel, Hello Curly, KCCC don't really have the hold I would prefer for my edges sometimes.

AJellyCake I've only tried one of these but I found these by googling it.

Eden BodyWorks Edge Control Gel
First 6 Ingredients: Water, Ceteareth-20, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, PEG-50 Shea Butter

Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Edge Taming Taffy
First 6 Ingredients: Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)(Certified Organic Ingredient), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (Certified Organic Ingredient), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (Certified Organic Ingredient), Vegetable Glycerin, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Calophyllum Inophyllum (Tamanu) Oil

Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste ( I don't think this one is MHM approved but I love this for my edges)
First 6 Ingredients: Water, Ceteareth-25, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Glycerin, Isostearyl Isostearate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil

AJellyCake

AJellyCake I've only tried one of these but I found these by googling it. Eden BodyWorks Edge Control Gel First 6 Ingredients: Water, Ceteareth-20, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, PEG-50 Shea Butter Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Edge Taming Taffy First 6 Ingredients: Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)(Certified Organic Ingredient), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (Certified Organic Ingredient), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (Certified Organic Ingredient), Vegetable Glycerin, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Calophyllum Inophyllum (Tamanu) Oil Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste ( I don't think this one is MHM approved but I love this for my edges) First 6 Ingredients: Water, Ceteareth-25, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Glycerin, Isostearyl Isostearate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil

Thanks so much! :)

Guinan

Re-Branding
Question for yall: I plan on bleaching my roots this weekend. Do you think that the clay step would alter the color? I dont think it would since it didnt last time. But my last color was a reddish blonde. This time around I'm going blonde, blonde; but just highlighted blonde roots:lick:

hairtimes5

Finally got around to trying the clay step first yesterday and I didn't notice a difference so I'll just stick to the regular method.

I'm trying to wean myself off of Hello Curly since the company seems a little unstable these days. I made a batch of flaxseed gel last night but forgot to take it in the shower with me this morning so I used conditioner to do my wng. I didn't think it would turn out well but I like it (pics are of both sides). The top front of my hair is not as defined but that's always been my stubborn section. I think I may be at about 70% hydration. It's that pesky top part that's taking its time. Don't matter, I'm just excited to have a regimen that actually works for my hair. Now to figure out those 4 daughters of mine...:perplexed

Attachments

• 20141126_121734.jpg
    20141126_121734.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20141126_121751.jpg
    20141126_121751.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 116

faithVA

Question for yall: I plan on bleaching my roots this weekend. Do you think that the clay step would alter the color? I dont think it would since it didnt last time. But my last color was a reddish blonde. This time around I'm going blonde, blonde; but just highlighted blonde roots:lick:

I wouldn't think so but I'm not for sure. Since you are going lighter I would think it would be OK. I go darker and for the most part the clay doesn't change my color.

faithVA

Finally got around to trying the clay step first yesterday and I didn't notice a difference so I'll just stick to the regular method.

I'm trying to wean myself off of Hello Curly since the company seems a little unstable these days. I made a batch of flaxseed gel last night but forgot to take it in the shower with me this morning so I used conditioner to do my wng. I didn't think it would turn out well but I like it (pics are of both sides). The top front of my hair is not as defined but that's always been my stubborn section. I think I may be at about 70% hydration. It's that pesky top part that's taking its time. Don't matter, I'm just excited to have a regimen that actually works for my hair. Now to figure out those 4 daughters of mine...:perplexed

Very pretty curls.

Guinan

Re-Branding
got my juicy twists in. I plan on taking them out shortly for a twistout. I did something alittle different. I decided to start playing with parts. So hopefully it turned out right. I did have alittle breakage and alittle difficulty in detangling. I think the culprit was that I knew I needed to do a protein treatment but I wanted to wait until this weekend for when I do the whole MHM.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!! Please be safe and I hope everyone has a blessed day.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Went to the salon to get a trim and a flatiron. My hair was noticeably shinier and sleeker than my last flatiron 3 months ago. I'm nearing the end of trimming off some damaged ends. Probably two more trims will do.

I threw in some flexirods for a soft curl. I don't put any heat on my hair after a flatiron.

Attachments

• image-2756309913.jpg
    image-2756309913.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 95

GGsKin

Went to the salon to get a trim and a flatiron. My hair was noticeably shinier and sleeker than my last flatiron 3 months ago. I'm nearing the end of trimming off some damaged ends. Probably two more trims will do.

I threw in some flexirods for a soft curl. I don't put any heat on my hair after a flatiron.

Your hair looks lovely.