Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Honey Bee

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Congrats on your BC @DDTexlaxed!!! I would love to see pictures, I'm 5 months post.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

I have tried to post my pic, but it comes out sideways! It's in my avatar pic! I had the barber cut it. I could not take the headache from the tight bun anymore. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I have tried to post my pic, but it comes out sideways! It's in my avatar pic! I had the barber cut it. I could not take the headache from the tight bun anymore. :rolleyes:

I hate when it does that, ugh! Its kinda small to see but you look cute!! Did you experience scab hair or are your curls/coils popping already?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
The middle portion of my nape looks and feels like soft cotton candy and looks like its been blow dried and has no curl pattern whatsoever. The sides of my nape is not much better. What hair type is that? I'm so confused and I think once I'm natural I'll look like a poodle with a bad olgilvie home perm back there.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I hate when it does that, ugh! Its kinda small to see but you look cute!! Did you experience scab hair or are your curls/coils popping already?

No scab hair. Just pain free wash n gos. I'm doing a modified version of MHM, so I don't know if this is helping my hair. I think it is because I don't have helmet hair in the morning. :lol: I am using KKCC and that always leaves my hair crunchy. :rolleyes:

H0tPinkButtafly

Today I had a better wash day. It was easier because I washed my hair in the direction I wanted to wear it. I want a high bun so before I washed it, I combed all my hair going towards the front of my head. I deep conditioned that way too.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I realized I've been leaving my hair's porosity by chance and have no idea if I'm low, normal or high. Back when my relaxed hair was at its healthiest, I was able to maintain low-normal porosity with the use of Roux Porosity control conditioner and shampoo. Lately I spray ACV mix on my hair prior to applying my leave in. So this morning I just gathered two shed hairs; one I co-cleansed and the other I left dirty. After the clean hair air dries I'm going to finally systematically moisturize my hair based on what I learn. My hair is doing great in terms of moisture so I want to make sure if my current moisture regimen will help retain length in the long run. I should probably cut the new growth off each hair to see if there will be a difference between the two textures...relaxed and natural.

ETA: both clean and dirty hairs sit on top of the water and the NG floats just below the top. So my porosity remains Low...Lo-po hair thrives with the use of humectant heavy products which like Glycerin and aloe, which ALL my products have in the top ingredients, even my protein treatment. Thank my steamer was a fantastic investment!

Last edited:

naija24

transitioning sucks. all i want to do is chop and enjoy my curls but noooooo i have to wait and wait and WAIT and obsess about retention and length checks and HAIR TYPE ( which is the most annoying aspect of the natural hair movement in my opinion) and it's just stressful :(

I want to chop so bad. i have maybe 2.5 inches at my nape and maybe 2 inches at the sides and crown but I am TELLING MYSELF to hold the scissors until 6+ months. does anyone else have these feelings???

sweetpea7

transitioning sucks. all i want to do is chop and enjoy my curls but noooooo i have to wait and wait and WAIT and obsess about retention and length checks and HAIR TYPE ( which is the most annoying aspect of the natural hair movement in my opinion) and it's just stressful :( I want to chop so bad. i have maybe 2.5 inches at my nape and maybe 2 inches at the sides and crown but I am TELLING MYSELF to hold the scissors until 6+ months. does anyone else have these feelings???

You don't have to obsess about hair type. I cared for the first few months and then I told myself I'm going to bc no matter what my curls like. I say chop it if that's what you really want. Unless you wanted to be a straight haired natural then you could grow it out some more

naija24

You don't have to obsess about hair type. I cared for the first few months and then I told myself I'm going to bc no matter what my curls like. I say chop it if that's what you really want. Unless you wanted to be a straight haired natural then you could grow it out some more

sweetpea7 that's my only hang up. I'm not sure if i want to be a straight haired natural (in which case I'm advised to not cut at all) or if I want to rock a tiny twa for now!! :D

are there any examples on the forum of ladies who are straight haired naturals but started as twas?

sweetpea7

You can have he best of both worlds if u bc and if you don't like it then another sew in or wig

Beat the heat: hot girls and straight haired naturals thread will have some good advice. You'll lol great whatever he choice

naija24

this is true. if someoen can just provide me pictures of straight haired naturals who have twas that would be MUCH appreciated. because right now, if you google it you'd think it doesn't exist.

coolsista-paris

I realized I've been leaving my hair's porosity by chance and have no idea if I'm low, normal or high. Back when my relaxed hair was at its healthiest, I was able to maintain low-normal porosity with the use of Roux Porosity control conditioner and shampoo. Lately I spray ACV mix on my hair prior to applying my leave in. So this morning I just gathered two shed hairs; one I co-cleansed and the other I left dirty. After the clean hair air dries I'm going to finally systematically moisturize my hair based on what I learn. My hair is doing great in terms of moisture so I want to make sure if my current moisture regimen will help retain length in the long run. I should probably cut the new growth off each hair to see if there will be a difference between the two textures...relaxed and natural. ETA: both clean and dirty hairs sit on top of the water and the NG floats just below the top. So my porosity remains Low...Lo-po hair thrives with the use of humectant heavy products which like Glycerin and aloe, which ALL my products have in the top ingredients, even my protein treatment. Thank my steamer was a fantastic investment! Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

after years of hair care im still not sure of my porosity. it always floated. clean and dirty hair. my natural hair would float, sometimes a little bit went under the water but that piece was still floating.
i remember at the very beginning of my 1 st natural journey, my hair LOVED glycerin, almond oil and water mix. it was so soft .
it was hard to get the great mix though ( too mi h glycérin would get sticky feeling)

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
after years of hair care im still not sure of my porosity. it always floated. clean and dirty hair. my natural hair would float, sometimes a little bit went under the water but that piece was still floating.
i remember at the very beginning of my 1 st natural journey, my hair LOVED glycerin, almond oil and water mix. it was so soft .
it was hard to get the great mix though ( too mi h glycérin would get sticky feeling)
coolsista-paris yeah my relaxed hair sat on top and my all natural piece floated at the top with some underneath. Its said if your hair floats on top or near the top, you're lo-po. I read about sticky glycerin mixes so I was sure to only add a little; 2oz. of glycerine to my 16oz spray bottle from Sally's...I know it was only 2oz because I used half of a 4oz bottle. I didn't fill the bottle tho, I only filled about 3/4 full.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
transitioning sucks. all i want to do is chop and enjoy my curls but noooooo i have to wait and wait and WAIT and obsess about retention and length checks and HAIR TYPE ( which is the most annoying aspect of the natural hair movement in my opinion) and it's just stressful :(

I want to chop so bad. i have maybe 2.5 inches at my nape and maybe 2 inches at the sides and crown but I am TELLING MYSELF to hold the scissors until 6+ months. does anyone else have these feelings???

naija24 I completely understand how you feel, I thought I was the only one in here wanting to BC. I've been trying to rationalize continuing with my transition but I keep coming up with nothing other than to wait until my fro is bigger. I've been watching all sorts of BC YouTube videos and have read every article on Google...today I even cut 2 pieces from my head to see how I'd feel and to see what my curl pattern looks like. I was secretly hoping I would see my texture and back out but NOPE, I wanna bc more than ever now, Lol. Not that I have this lush head of curls or even coils for that matter, I just really want to be all natural. I figure if I'm not happy, I can always wear a beany when I'm out and about seeing that its fall/winter. We don't really go anywhere "fancy" and I show houses for a living and work from home so I'm good with not needing to wear my hair out. Other than family get togethers over the holidays and my work holiday party next month, I'm free to do it without fear of having to style a TWA. I've been reading the book "Hair Story" and with every page I'm closer and closer to a final decision. Like you I have at the most 2.5" and in 20 weeks post.

Also, I've never done anything exciting, brave and daring before and this is an amazing opportunity! After all, its hair and will grow back. I'm calling a stylist this week for a consult....

This is a pic of 1 of 2 pieces I cut off.
ForumRunner_20141124_184117.jpg

This is after I cut, applied water and Eco styler gel
ForumRunner_20141124_184151.jpg

Last edited:

xu93texas

this is true. if someoen can just provide me pictures of straight haired naturals who have twas that would be MUCH appreciated. because right now, if you google it you'd think it doesn't exist.
Most people are not going to wear straight natural hair that length on a daily basis. But, if you're looking for examples, check out pics of Tamron Hall. There is also a YTuber by the name of Toi Box that has a Pixie Hair Routine video.

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
naija24 and KiWiStyle I knew it was time to bc once I started cutting random pieces of hair. I definitely wasn't ready to cut at twenty weeks. I started getting antsy around six months and I started cutting random pieces around 9 months. I was obsessed with seeing my texture. After 15 months that was my limit. I never had a clear plan or schedule of how long I wanted to transition. If you feel like cutting at 2.5 inches you should do it. Since I bc'd I really haven't had a desire to have it straightened. I plan have it straightened in December for dh birthday. I know that ckisland has straightened her TWA you may want to check out her pictures. I think she posted them in the TWA thread. Good luck with whatever you decide this forum is full of information for every length.

sharifeh

I'm not sure how you wear your hair daily, but super slick edges using the scarf method can make a bad style look completely different. I use ecostyler and hicks edges on bad hair days and it makes a world of a difference.

PlainJane what's your method for slick edges? any videos?

I used tips from EnExitStageLeft who I think has perfect hair and perfect techniques and my hair still won't cooperate :rolleyes:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
naija24 and KiWiStyle I knew it was time to bc once I started cutting random pieces of hair. I definitely wasn't ready to cut at twenty weeks. I started getting antsy around six months and I started cutting random pieces around 9 months. I was obsessed with seeing my texture. After 15 months that was my limit. I never had a clear plan or schedule of how long I wanted to transition. If you feel like cutting at 2.5 inches you should do it. Since I bc'd I really haven't had a desire to have it straightened. I plan have it straightened in December for dh birthday. I know that ckisland has straightened her TWA you may want to check out her pictures. I think she posted them in the TWA thread. Good luck with whatever you decide this forum is full of information for every length.

stephanie75miller I am so envious of you mega transitioners. I won't BC prior to 6 months, I'd like another inch or two before I do it.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Blush KiWiStyle. I would not consider myself a mega transitioner. I leave that to those that transition for two or more years. I was so
Over dealing with the two textures. There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. I'm enjoying being fully natural.

Honey Bee

I been ready to bc, but I promised myself that I would transition until I had a decent length. That could take forever with the amount of shrinkage I have. :nono:

So I'm distracting myself by planning a big color scheme, some kinda burgundy with highlights. I learned how to apply it and everything. :yep: :lol: I never did more than a rinse so this is a big deal. I won't color until I bc. Until then, I plan to play with some temporary color.

I'm trying. :nono:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I been ready to bc, but I promised myself that I would transition until I had a decent length. That could take forever with the amount of shrinkage I have. :nono:

So I'm distracting myself by planning a big color scheme, some kinda burgundy with highlights. I learned how to apply it and everything. :yep: :lol: I never did more than a rinse so this is a big deal. I won't color until I bc. Until then, I plan to play with some temporary color.

I'm trying. :nono:

I like how you think! I probably should find a distraction too, Lol.