Never again...

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Never again will I: Go to the Africans to get my hair done,(what is with trying to grip every..single..hair?) Skip my trims, relax bone straight (doesn't work for my hair, plus I like texture), get a sew in (I can't get to my hair the way I want), and I may not even do braided extensions on my hair (they take too darn long for me to do).

Smiley79

I will never henna again. Cassia yes, Henna can beat it.

I will never sit in silence while someone mistreats my hair. I used to do that back in the day and sometimes I feel like I'm still paying the price for it.

I dont think Im ever wearing box braids again.

Phoenix14

I'll never again see a stylist who has no other clients there. Thanks for taking me from BSL to APL. Preciate it.

cravoecanela

I used this brand of lotion that had a bunch of ingredients that I used in my hair previously: coconut oil, glycerine, another that I forgot. I used it in my hair because I ran out of grease. Never again! My hair was sticky and dry at the same time. I was so angry! I had to re-wash it and start all over.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'll never again see a stylist who has no other clients there. Thanks for taking me from BSL to APL. Preciate it.

This just happened to me last month. Walked in bsb/bsl and walked out apl. That was almost a year of progress...gone in seconds :sad:

Phoenix14

This just happened to me last month. Walked in bsb/bsl and walked out apl. That was almost a year of progress...gone in seconds :sad:

Where in Houston did you go? To make matters worse it's uneven as all get out. I'm going to have to grow it out and THEN cut it back so it's even

iLurk

I won't ever be an ingredient snob again. First thing i ever learned when i wanted to start growing my hair out is that mineral oil is bad, cones are bad and is pretty much the equivalent of putting acid on your hair.

So I chose all natural products and found out they absolutely sucked on my hair. The conditioners had my hair feeling like pencil shavings and the moisturizers just made my hair sticky or hard. Gave some conditioners with the much hated mineral oils and cones in it a chance and my hair never felt better. Mixed a cheap conditioner that has cones with water and started using it as a moisturizer and my hair is soft. I even use a shampoo with sulfates in it although its not that often. :drunk:

Still don't use grease though unless its to base my scalp.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Where in Houston did you go? To make matters worse it's uneven as all get out. I'm going to have to grow it out and THEN cut it back so it's even

I went to Dominican Salon in Katy (West Little York). She usually does a great job and last year she didn't trim nearly as much.

Penelope74

Never again will I...

1. Put glue in my hair.
2. Sleep without satin or silk scarf.
3. Go without weekly deep conditioning.
4. Go days without moisturizing and sealing hair.

I will probably think of more..

Phoenix14

I went to Dominican Salon in Katy (West Little York). She usually does a great job and last year she didn't trim nearly as much.

I went to Healing Hands. Not about that life again. She kept telling me that she was the best at cutting and trimming hair. Um.....no. You're great at cutting. Can't trim worth a darn though. You're fantastic at chopping. She also couldn't effectively straighten my hair. I should have known when she 1) didn't blow dry it first. instead she sat me under the dryer with barely detangled hair and 2) she used some little dinky plastic looking flat iron to straighten my hair from that. My hair started reverting before i Left so then she tried marcel irons. she then blamed it all on the fact that I haven't straightened my hair since 2009. NEVER AGAIN
Ouch. Darling, you have my sympathy.

Thank you so much

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I went to Healing Hands. Not about that life again. She kept telling me that she was the best at cutting and trimming hair. Um.....no. You're great at cutting. Can't trim worth a darn though. You're fantastic at chopping. She also couldn't effectively straighten my hair. I should have known when she 1) didn't blow dry it first. instead she sat me under the dryer with barely detangled hair and 2) she used some little dinky plastic looking flat iron to straighten my hair from that. My hair started reverting before i Left so then she tried marcel irons. she then blamed it all on the fact that I haven't straightened my hair since 2009. NEVER AGAIN

Thank you so much

Wow! She sounds really old school. Marcel irons? Some people really shouldn't be allowed to do hair. Like after so many bad reviews their licenses should be revoked :lol:

niecy8892

Never again will I

1. Use cones on my hair on a regular basis. Its ok for heat styling, but other then that...YOU GOOD!

2. Transition again. I've already done it twice....I'm over it. If I ever get that relaxer itch and decide to return to natural I will be buzzing it to a funky TWA.

3. Go without using gel. The stuff is amazing.

4. Let my hair stash get this huge. I love it, but ummmmm.....its outrageous.

Co-signing on # 4!!! Running out of room and $$!! :-(

Will also never
- relax again. My last perm was around Nov '99 and I don't miss it ONE BIT!! My hhj hasn't exactly been ideal, but I wouldn't trade it for anything
- neglect to moisturize or detangle my hair
- ignore my instincts when I hear hear the stylist tell me she's going to get my hair "bone straight" (read: super high heat). She fried my hair so bad that it wouldn't revert, I was left with a lot of stringy, limp mess that I'm STILL cutting off ( this was a while ago)
- neglect my scalp
- rip a comb thru my hair

NaturalBoss

I will never:
1. Relax my hair
2. Let Africans put micro braids in my hair.....I had NO edges for a year
3. Let a stylist do my hair who does not specialize in natural hair

Kimiche

I won't ever be an ingredient snob again. First thing i ever learned when i wanted to start growing my hair out is that mineral oil is bad, cones are bad and is pretty much the equivalent of putting acid on your hair.

So I chose all natural products and found out they absolutely sucked on my hair. The conditioners had my hair feeling like pencil shavings and the moisturizers just made my hair sticky or hard. Gave some conditioners with the much hated mineral oils and cones in it a chance and my hair never felt better. Mixed a cheap conditioner that has cones with water and started using it as a moisturizer and my hair is soft. I even use a shampoo with sulfates in it although its not that often. :drunk:

Still don't use grease though unless its to base my scalp.

I swear your post is exactly what I am going through now. I tried to stay away from products with cones, petroleum and mineral oil in the ingredients list and I started using all natural products. My hair rejected many of them. Some of them felt good at times, but then my hair would become dry. I started using ORS Hair Moisturizing Lotion recently and my hair actually feels fine. So far so good. :yep:

Urban

I will never:
1. Relax my hair
2. Let Africans put micro braids in my hair.....I had NO edges for a year
3. Let a stylist do my hair who does not specialize in natural hair

:lol: I think they generally think that it looks neater and it's an attempt to get rid of strays. But I think we also need to learn to speak up when anyone isn't doing our hair correctly.

I will never go natural again.

This is true for me as well. My hair would probably be way longer, I would've done less damage with all that pulling at my scalp and I would've saved so much more time if I'd stayed relaxed or I'd texlaxed sooner.

okange76

Kindly please name the individual African Saloons that are ruining your hair so people can avoid them. I feel light weight offended by all of us being lumped in as hair line destroyers. I've had stylists from Kenya, Nigeria, Niger, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Senegal, Gambia, Liberia and Sudan without any issues at all. Been getting braids for over 30 yrs. You just have to do your research well and ask for recommendations. Not going to the "Africans" just doesn't sit right with me.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Sorry if I offended you okange76, but it seems like none of the braid shops in Chicago practice healthy hair care. They do work fast, and do a good job but I don't want to keep reminding you to stop ripping through my hair, start at the ends, and don't use a little comb to comb my hair.

Evolving78

Sorry if I offended you okange76, but it seems like none of the braid shops in Chicago practice healthy hair care. They do work fast, and do a good job but I don't want to keep reminding you to stop ripping through my hair, start at the ends, and don't use a little comb to comb my hair.
I bring a water bottle, and my detangling combs. When I was natural and had them to braid my hair with no hair added, it wasn't blow dried, and you can't work with my hair when it's dry.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have only been to an African shop once. My dad paid for it and they did a great job. My hair grew quite a bit while braided up. Other than that I mainly did my own braids and over time the edges can get thin no matter who does them. I did back to back braids for almost 2 years :blush:

okange76

No worries dear. I know they can be horrible. I just wish people would call out the salons individually like they called out the Hair Cutting places that ruined their hair. No harm done.

NGraceO

When it comes to my hair, I have learned to never say never.

As as currently texlaxed chic who was formally natural for five years and originally relaxed most of my life, I have been in so many hair stages and have learned to never say that I will never do certain things again….because i may!

Today I am texlaxed. Tomorrow I may decide to go natural. Today I hate a certain conditioner. Tomorrow I might need it. I do what works for me right now, and If I decide to make changes, I will be armed with the knowledge I have gained from my hair journey up until then, which will allow me to alter products and regimens to fit my current needs.

Just my perspective.

Evolving78

Never again will I use a black hair dye or just any permanent color. It took me to have a broken chewed up crown twice to come to this conclusion. Never again will I cowash as a relaxed head.

sunnieb

The one "never" I can say is that I'll never again wear my hair down and out daily with reckless abandon.

I was looking through my hair pics over the years and the one turning point was when I was finally getting past APL and heading to BSL. I'd never had hair this long in my adult life! How exciting! :grin:

Well, I got too damn happy and stopped bunning. I don't remember how long I wore my hair out, but it had to be almost a year of swangin' with the occasional protective style. I can't do that. I don't have to hide my hair 24/7, but I must protective style at least 80% of the time. End of story. I need to get over it and go back to what works for my hair.