Hair Dye Tips

LexiDior

I'm telling you from prior experience I bleached my hair all the time when it was relaxed and it did not fall out. HOWEVER I experienced VERY bad tiny broken hair shedding and my hair refused to grow past my shoulders in this state and even when it finally did it rebroke again every time I relaxed again. As someone who has been through this before (I even did my hair this color ) while it is cute I wanna save you the heartbreak your hair length/health goals are more important imo the only safe coloring for relaxed hair is rinses/cellophanes.

What rinses do you suggest?

I already colored my hair and it didnt take well. I feel like I put my hair through all this and there isnt much color.

Mz.MoMo5235

What rinses do you suggest?

I already colored my hair and it didnt take well. I feel like I put my hair through all this and there isnt much color.

Cause you used too low of a developer.

A rinse isnt going to do much for lightening. But since you already colored a rinse is your best option to add some color i.e. if its brown now you can do a different shade of brown, go with some red, or go darker.

Other than the color not taking how does your hair feel? Cause the health of it is most important.

LexiDior

Cause you used too low of a developer.

A rinse isnt going to do much for lightening. But since you already colored a rinse is your best option to add some color i.e. if its brown now you can do a different shade of brown, go with some red, or go darker.

Other than the color not taking how does your hair feel? Cause the health of it is most important.

My hair seems fine, i made sure i moisturized it well this morning before i left the house.

I dyed it red but it looks more like a deep purple. should I try it again?

Mz.MoMo5235

My hair seems fine, i made sure i moisturized it well this morning before i left the house.

I dyed it red but it looks more like a deep purple. should I try it again?

NO!!!! Not for a good while at least. If its a deep purple you can try a red rinse but it may just turn into red high lights where you only really see the red in the sun.

Now I'm about to tell you what I used to do when I was relaxed and dying a lot. BUT MY NO MEANS IS THE FOLLOWING GOOD HAIR PRACTICE!!!! If someone tried to do half he stuff I did back in he day to me now I'd faint.

If I messed up a color (whether the color didnt take the way I wanted or if it wasnt the color I wanted) I would do a box semi back to black (my natural hair color) and baby it for 4 to 6 wks (dc weekly and protein). Then I would start all over. And this was on relaxed hair (I used to use supers from root to tip :nono: ) using bleach and high level developers.

I would honestly say though at this point to at least live with the current color for about 3mos before opting to bleach and color or color with a 40 level dev to get a good red.

You can also always try to achieve red with henna. You can put that on top of processed hair as long as its good quality henna.

Mind you, I could say follow my old hair habits as my hair never fell out, melted, thinned, or any of that. The ends were a little chewed up but that
was easily hidden with hair grease. But looking back I would not do it again just because it was putting my hair through a lot for no reason.

LexiDior

NO!!!! Not for a good while at least. If its a deep purple you can try a red rinse but it may just turn into red high lights where you only really see the red in the sun.

Now I'm about to tell you what I used to do when I was relaxed and dying a lot. BUT MY NO MEANS IS THE FOLLOWING GOOD HAIR PRACTICE!!!! If someone tried to do half he stuff I did back in he day to me now I'd faint.

If I messed up a color (whether the color didnt take the way I wanted or if it wasnt the color I wanted) I would do a box semi back to black (my natural hair color) and baby it for 4 to 6 wks (dc weekly and protein). Then I would start all over. And this was on relaxed hair (I used to use supers from root to tip :nono: ) using bleach and high level developers.

I would honestly say though at this point to at least live with the current color for about 3mos before opting to bleach and color or color with a 40 level dev to get a good red.

You can also always try to achieve red with henna. You can put that on top of processed hair as long as its good quality henna.

Mind you, I could say follow my old hair habits as my hair never fell out, melted, thinned, or any of that. The ends were a little chewed up but that
was easily hidden with hair grease. But looking back I would not do it again just because it was putting my hair through a lot for no reason.

Mz.MoMo5235

what do you suggest as far as henna? ive never used it before.

I think I may just live with the purple color, maybe a few hours in the sun will brighten it up for me. Thank you for the advice.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
There are some good and VERY BAD tips in this thread.

DO NOT HENNA. DO NOT USE ANYTHING OVER 20 VOL ON RELAXED HAIR.

Henna is permanent and could react badly when you retouch. 30-50 vol is just too much on relaxed hair.

To get a good lift, you need powder bleach and 20 vol developer. Put the demi/semi color on top of the bleached hair. Roller set instead of blow frying after a color session. With both bleach & relaxed hair, it's going to be fragile and prone to dryness/breakage. You need a low heat reggie.

The girl in the pic is bleached out then put a red semi on the bottom. Using a high volume developer with color won't get you the color you want. Color doesn't lift color, bleach lifts color.

topnotch1010

I think I may just live with the purple color, maybe a few hours in the sun will brighten it up for me. Thank you for the advice.

For this, you could use a soap cap. Shampoo, conditioner, a touch of bleach, & 10 vol. Watch it carefully. It'll lift some of the color off. Do a protein treatment afterwards. Give it 3 days to see the full results.

topnotch1010

topnotch1010

Bleach? Are you sure thats safe for hair?

Yeah girl!! :lol: I'm a licensed stylist who specializes in color. I wouldn't tell you anything to hurt you.

Most people don't like to use bleach because they don't know how to use it. For them, it could be disastrous. I've colored all types of hair and studied how they react. Black relaxed hair is no doubt the most fragile, but a soap cap with a low vol developer won't be bad. You could even use 5 vol if you're scared. Mix 1oz:1oz bleach and developer with 2 squirts and conditioner and a bit of shampoo. Cover your hair with a plastic cap for best results.

topnotch1010

Oh, I forgot the most important thing, USE RELAXER FOR COLOR TREATED HAIR FROM NOW ON! This has been the source for many a disaster. And be sure to wait until you get an inch or two of new growth to relax. You don't want to overlap the relaxer on bleached hair.

topnotch1010

topnotch1010

If i dont have a 10 vol, can I use a 20? How long do I let it sit in my hair? I use Loreal because I get the dye for free.

No ma'am. 20 vol is too strong for a soap cap on relaxed hair.

Just a few minutes. Watch it in the mirror to see when it's ready to rinse out. It'll be kinda quick.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
The most damaging hair dyes for relaxed hair is blond or any type of red. When I was going to a stylist, she recommended not using permanent dyes or dyes that requires you to bleach your hair. I hope that you can nurse your hair back to health.

LexiDior

So far my hair doesnt seem damaged. Everything is ok. I did a protein treatment before and a DC afterwards so maybe that saved my hair.

I still thinking about the bleach!!

BillsBackerz67

Dove56 OMG thank you for directing me to their page. Im in lust with their skills my goodness. Do you follow envyme_mary? her color is exactly what I want just in a tone below hers. My hair is so so dry as is im not sure if my hair could tolerate any of it. So Im torn.

Dove56

Dove56 OMG thank you for directing me to their page. Im in lust with their skills my goodness. Do you follow envyme_mary? her color is exactly what I want just in a tone below hers. My hair is so so dry as is im not sure if my hair could tolerate any of it. So Im torn.

They are both very talented! Mary's hair is beautiful. It's nice to see bayalage on thick curly hair! I wonder if steam treatments would help to keep hair moist after lightening? I am thinking of purchasing a steamer.

I recently got caramel highlights by Schwarzkopf called "BlondeMe". My stylist said even though it's bleach it's very moisterizing and she's right because the highlighted hair is very supple and healthy. My salon is a Black owned salon that caters to natural hair.

BillsBackerz67

They are both very talented! Mary's hair is beautiful. It's nice to see bayalage on thick curly hair! I wonder if steam treatments would help to keep hair moist after lightening? I am thinking of purchasing a steamer. I recently got caramel highlights by Schwarzkopf called "BlondeMe". My stylist said even though it's bleach it's very moisterizing and she's right because the highlighted hair is very supple and healthy. My salon is a Black owned salon that caters to natural hair.

hmmm ill ask my stylist about that. and i could probably benefit from a steamer. too lazy to invest in one.